Start by marking “Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)” as Want to Read:
Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)

Best Served Cold

(First Law World #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  64,506 ratings  ·  2,844 reviews
Springtime in Styria. And that means war.

There have been nineteen years of blood. The ruthless Grand Duke Orso is locked in a vicious struggle with the squabbling League of Eight, and between them they have bled the land white. While armies march, heads roll and cities burn, and behind the scenes bankers, priests and older, darker powers play a deadly game to choose who w
Published July 29th 2009 by Orbit (first published June 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Best Served Cold, please sign up.
Michael Moderate level, earthy sexual language but appropriate. The sex is quick, resentful, and angry, mirroring the emotional landscapes of the protagonist.
Katherine I read Best Served Cold first and it totally works as a stand-alone. I mean, there were bits that made me want to read the trilogy for more depth but …moreI read Best Served Cold first and it totally works as a stand-alone. I mean, there were bits that made me want to read the trilogy for more depth but nowhere was I left confused for lack of reading the previous books.
I'm now making my way through the trilogy and having read this one first is lending me an interesting perspective. It didn't ruin anything for sure.(less)

·  64,506 ratings  ·  2,844 reviews

Start your review of Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
Petrik
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grimdark fans
4.5/5 stars

A magnificent tale of revenge filled with bloody actions, betrayal, and humor.

“One cannot grow without pain. One cannot improve without it. Suffering drives us to achieve great things.”

I’ve postponed starting Best Served Cold, the first book in Abercrombie’s First Law stand-alone trilogy, for almost a year now due to the reason that I thought it will pale in comparison to the first trilogy, although it’s the weakest so far, it’s still so much better than a lot of grimdark books out th
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I'm gonna have to do it. I'm going to give a Joe Abercrombie book a 3 star.

Calm down. I almost gave it a 2.

As to why? The good first.

The characters.
Monza is completely bad ass, but I never felt that connection with her. She wants revenge for her brothers death, I get that..but give me some anger..give me some emotions..give me something!

Her band of misfits, you have a drunk, a torturer, a master poisoner and his assistant (who eats constantly), a killer who has OCD, and a man fr
Muhtasin Oyshik
Best Served Cold(First Law World,#4) by Joe Abercrombie
description
Gritty, real, and bloody.If you want cheery and uplifting, this book probably not for you. It isn't brilliant literature by any means, but it's an awful lot of fun for an adult. The highest quality of narration by Steven Pacey made this story amazing. Such an actorish narrator he is!!!
You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.

Impressive.
Sean Barrs
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you are going to say one thing for Abercrombie, say he’s got catchy sayings because, after all, you have to be realistic about these things!

Did you see what I did there? Well anyway I was about fifteen pages in and was thinking, “this book seems unusually slow” then the blood started spraying in the usual Abercrombie style about half a paragraph later. I knew from then that this was going to be as good as what came before it.

The Snake of Talins, the self-made mercenary with no regret, is at
carol.
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gritty fantasy
AKA "Abercrombie and the Ultimate Anti-Heroes."

Here's the short review: reading Best Served Cold is like being a guest judge on 'Iron Chef America: Sardines.' Sure, there's some incredible stuff happening--but still... it's sardines . And would you really want to eat like that every day?

The long review: What's good? The writing, the world, the character description, the brilliant way Abercrombie links and weaves so many plots together, both large and small, and the tension he is able to build
Jokoloyo
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TLDR: A MUST READ for fans of Nicomo Cosca. Cosca to the rescue!
NCbyK

Now the review:
Continuation after First Law Trilogy, telling about epic bloody revenge story. Compared with the trilogy, this novel has significantly lower magical content. I believe people don't read FL series due to magic system but because loved the characterization of FL. Fortunately, the author knew this and delivered another excellent story. As expected with only one-novel-length, I felt the pace of this book is faster and sim
Paul O'Neill
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vengeance first, questions later.

A terrific, action packed romp with a vengeance.

This book is all about revenge. It follows Monza as she is betrayed very badly and then plots her course to get revenge on all those present at the time of the betrayal.

Set in the same world as the great First Law trilogy, the back drop is the region of Styria.

It deals with revenge, what it means and what it feels like when you
Evgeny
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In this standalone we visit the area which was only mentioned in the original trilogy: Styria. The favorite pastime of the local people is to make war; local nobility that is: the peasants suffer or get killed when an army marches through their land. Monza Murcatto was the leader of a very successful mercenary band under Duke Orso employ. In fact she was so popular among Duke's subjects that he decided it was time to do something about it.

During one of the meetings with the Duke her brother was
Edward
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, fantasy
Best Served Cold is the first entry of three standalones set after the fantastic First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It has dark humour, a vile cast and action so bloody and grim you can practically see the spouts of shooting blood on the pages. What’s not to love?

“What do the dice say?"
Dice say nothing. They are dice."
Why roll'em, then?"
They are dice. What else would I do with them?”

2 years from the end of The Last Argument of Kings, Best Served Cold takes us to the land of Styria - one tha
mark monday
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-modern
What is best served hot?

> Flesh
> Blood
> Slaughter
> Desire
> Revenge*

*also delicious served cold

Best Served Cold delivers all of the above in a warm-blooded fashion. this is a sweaty, fully engorged adventure novel that follows a diverse cast as they move through various locales on their own sort of anti-quest. although it spends much time examining the psychological make-up of its characters, is heavily reliant on the kinds of details usually found in military fantasy, and is not shy of graphic s
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $3.99 Kindle US today 9/25/20
Scott  Hitchcock
It was good but it wasn't great like the trilogy. The character interactions were what made the book. The plot was lacking and his writing style has never been smooth. It entertaining from an action point of view and you don't have to wait for it. From the prologue on it's battle, guts and assassinations. A killing smorgasbord.
Celeste
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, grimdark
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

Grimdark isn’t my thing. I prefer my fiction hopeful, with good at its heart even when bad things happen. That being said, I’ll give anything a shot if it’s well crafted, and I’ve read some pretty incredible fantasy novels that throw hope out the window and bask in their darkness. The best in the grimdark business has to be Joe Abercrombie, hands down. He has a way of creating characters and plots that really shouldn’t work for me, but that shine in spite of their dark c
Phrynne
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
I love these books especially listening to them on audio. The narrator is just excellent and there is a little soundtrack with slashing swords which really sets the scene. The only problem is that I do not get to have the paper copies with the oh so beautiful covers.

Best Served Cold is typical Abercrombie fare which means it is the epitome of grimdark. If you do not enjoy gritty then you will not like his books. Somebody dies unpleasantly on just about every other page and even the people who l
Tammy
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest at the start, I felt this one was going to be straight forward. I felt I could predict everything that was gonna happen. I was wrong.

I doubt I have the words to explain how good the second half of this book was. Not to say the first half was bad, I mean the prologue was simply amazing. The tempo was like a ball rolling, slowly at first, then gathering momentum the farther it goes.

With tension packed moments, bloody and gritty action and exceptional world building. How many t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Best Served Cold (First Law World #4), Joe Abercrombie

Best Served Cold is Joe Abercrombie's fourth novel of First Law World series, and it was first published in June 2009. Springtime in Styria. And that means war. Springtime in Styria. And that means revenge. There have been nineteen years of blood. The ruthless Grand Duke Orso is locked in a vicious struggle with the squabbling League of Eight, and between them they have bled the land white. While armies march, heads roll and cities burn, behi
Michael
Filter the retro feel and the Tarantino dialogue from "Kill Bill Volume 1." Take what's left and mix in one random barbarian from Abercrombie's earlier trilogy, then pour into a pan with a good dollop of the late Middle Ages. Fry for 880 pages, dropping in one new badguy every 110. By the end of the process, it should look something like "The Unforgiven". . . It won't taste nearly as good, though.

I'm surprised about all the glowing reviews this book has gotten considering how little new ground t
Felicia
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, man-fantasy
Well, one of my favorite authors does not disappoint, I totally love this guy! So much violence, grit and...fun. I really enjoyed the characters, new worlds and especially liked the glimpses of seconday characters from the other Trilogy popping up in interesting more fleshed out roles.

Definitely a great purchase, boy readers rejoice, there's lots of blood and guts flying around!
Choko
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fantasy-grim
*** 4 ***

This brilliant writer completed successfully another life lesson, which could be summarized with the cliche " Life sucks and than you die! "... Only the sucking is much worse than you could have ever thought possible, you can not trust anyone, everything beautiful is there to be destroyed, you live and die alone, and we should all be lucky to die fast, the alternatives being very, very undesirable!!!

Abercrombie is a wonderful author and has become one of my favorites. However, I think
Deborah Obida
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fantasy
You can weep over your misfortunes, or you can pick yourself up and make the best of things, shit though they may be.

This book is a spin-off of the Initial first law trilogy, its not neccessary to read that before this, but it will help in understanding some terms.

This is the best portrayal of morally ambiguous character I've ever read, all negativity. They trust someone as much as they can throw them which is not much, and to them Mercy and Cowardice is the same, who thinks like that, crazy
Carmen
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans who can stomach grisly, painful, brutal suffering that will spare no one
Monza is a skilled and merciless killer. She acts as a general in the Duke's army, alongside her little brother, Benna.

Monza's brother is the only person she has in this world. The only person she loves. The only person she trusts.

Duke Orso, the man she's working for, decides to betray her and her brother. Killing them in cold blood while his sons and advisors watch.

They stab her and beat her and throw her off the roof. She's left for dead.

As Jet Li would say, "That...was a mistake."

Not dead at
Orient
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody with a need for rough-tough story
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
Just starting to read this book I understood, oh how I missed Joe Abercrombie’s writing. It just feels like… ;)

*leaving Mr. Abercrombie half mutilated from hugs in my mind (It’s love, you know <3 True love hurts)*
Once more I was in love with Mr. Abercrombie and his dark fantasy revenge story.
Revenge, was served (cold of course) by a rough-tough heroine (already one of my BBHF – Best Book Heroines Forever ) with cold steel and a gripping story for dessert.
Monza Murcatto was everything I like abo
Peter
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Abercrombie is my new nemesis. His books are too damn good.
David Sven
They say cream rises to the top and I must say Abercrombie has risen to the top of my list of "must read" authors. And Steven Pacey has risen to the top to join my favourite audio narrators. If you are into audio books and have Abercrombie on your "to read" list, then treat yourself to the audio version. The narration really added that extra punch to an already hard hitting story.

Best Served Cold is a fantastic addition to The First Law universe. It’s stand-alone so you don't absolutely need to
Althea Ann
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, I'm 5/5 with Joe Abercrombie - and I think I have 3 more yet to-read. This is Good Stuff!

Set in the same world as 'The Blade Itself,' 'Best Served Cold' introduces us to Monza Murcatto, a mercenary general. It's unusual for a woman to be a mercenary, let alone a military leader - and she's achieved her place by being twice as ruthless and tough as the hard-bitten men around her.

However, tough as she may be, she's not invulnerable. A shattering betrayal has ended with her dearly beloved b
Gaby
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't jump right into reading ”Best Served Cold” after finishing the author's First Law trilogy, and now I can remember why. Reading Abercrombie simply leaves me emotionally drained. I very masochistically put myself through the experience because afterwards, once I've let myself cool down, I realize it was worth it. Still, these books are not for everyone. It's not just that they're violent, gory, unpredictable, and full of frustratingly flawed characters- it's that they leave you off (or at ...more
J.J.
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuckin love this book/audiobook. Trust me listen to the audiobook and appreciate the sweet, dark, sordid insights of this crews banter plus how great the narrator did the characters. It’s hilarious! Mercenary Cosca turned out to be my favorite character towards the end of the book. He’s a drunk, mercenary, general or soldiers but brilliant.
Mercatto, she’s Ferro but more worldly and knowledgeable in many things. I’d never cross her. Shiver well he went to Steryia to be a good man, well, he found
Em Lost In Books
A stand alone novel set in the same world as his First Law Trilogy, Mr Abercrombie gives us another masterpiece to read.

this is a revenge story where Monza Murcatto set out to avenge her brother’s murder. So end is very much predictable and as simple as it gets. We get usual brutal characters with no conscience and loyalty who are driven by bloodlust. but its the characters themselves in the book that makes it so different from other revenge stories.

Abercrombie pays a great attention to his ch
Silvana
First reread:
I still think this is one of Abercrombie's best works. And Cosca, you stole every scene, you lovable scoundrel.

Original review:
It's been a long time since I felt shell-shocked after reading a book. That would be A Storm of Swords in 2011, I guess. Best Served Cold is now in my top five list of best fantasy novels ever graced this earth. Don't ask me about the complete list since I haven't actually made it since before that last sentence.

Cosca. Dear old Cosca. I understand now why
Stephen
6.0 stars. Another unbelievably good book by Joe Abercrombie. If you liked the First Law Series, you will like this. Given that the First Law series is on my list of "All Time Favorites" I think it is safe to assume, I loved this book. In addition to creating a superb story with a tight plot and, as always with his books, unforgettable characters, Abercrombie advances in subtle but very interesting ways the larger story arc of the "great battle" addressed in the First Law series. HIGHEST POSSIBL ...more

• The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2)
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
Joe Abercrombie was educated at Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Manchester University, where he studied psychology. He moved into television production before taking up a career as a freelance film editor. During a break between jobs he began writing The Blade Itself in 2002, completing it in 2004. It was published by Gollancz in 2006 and was followed by two other books in The First Law trilogy ...more

First Law World (10 books)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
  • Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness #1)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Wisdom of Crowds (The Age of Madness, #3)