Start by marking “Retirement Can Be Murder (Baby Boomer Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Retirement Can Be Murder (Baby Boomer Mystery, #1)

Retirement Can Be Murder

(Baby Boomer Mysteries #1)

Every wife has a story. Retirement Can Be Murder is the story of Carol Andrews and her Beloved Husband, Jim, members of the fastest growing demographic in history, the Baby Boomer generation. Carol dreads her husband Jim's upcoming retirement more than a root canal without Novocain. She can't imagine anything worse than having an at-home husband with time on his hands and ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Baby Boomer Mysteries Press

To ask other readers questions about Retirement Can Be Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retirement Can Be Murder

Clif Hostetler
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Carol and Jim Andrews are members of the Baby Boomer generation are thus at an age when the timing of retirement is a viable decision to consider. One glaring consequence of retirement is that Jim will be spending more time around the house. Carol loves her husband, but him being in the house all day would be too much husband. So Carol decides to do something about the situation. She arranges (i.e manipulates) to have her husband seek the advice of a professional retirement coach.

Good plan, but
Patricia Rockwell
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Finally a cozy mystery with a heroine who is middle-aged, married, and a mother. In "Retirement Can Be Murder" our heroine is Carol Andrews, whose husband Jim is contemplating retirement from his stressful New York PR job. Carol entices Jim to visit a trendy retirement counsellor, but no sooner has Jim met the man than the counsellor is found dead--apparently murdered. Because Jim is the last person to see the man, Jim falls under suspicion, and Carol undertakes her own investigation--aided by h ...more
Sesa38
Mar 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
After reading the other reviews I thought i would like this one, I love cozy's and am looking for characters i can relate to and lots of humor. I only got about halfway through this and gave up. The main character, Carol, is upset because her husband wants to retire. She has a group of friends that seem like characters that i would like, they come together to support one another. But to me Carol was whining and self absorbed. Her husband, Jim, was wimpy and kind of needy. This book just didn't
cl
Suspense Magazine
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Not since first picking up one of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum books, have I ever laughed or enjoyed a book so much as Santangelo’s “Retirement can be Murder”.

Jim and Carol Andrews, a typical, baby-boomer, over sixty couple: him, controlling, quiet, unwilling to communicate, her, dutiful, sweet and knows when to shut up. The one thing Jim can’t control however is how Carol thinks—and she is funny!

Carol thinks she’s being smart, steering Jim toward speaking with the well-known retirement spec
Anna Marie
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could relate to this story as I have had friends who have worried about their spouse's retirement. This story is told by Carol who is a silly stay-at-home wife with two adult children and three very close friends. She talks often to her two dogs, Lucy and Ethel. Carol's plotting and outrageous fantasies are similar to those antics of Lucy Ricardo in "I Love Lucy." The author has funny questions and answers about retirement at the beginning of each of the 30 chapters, such as: Q: What's the fir ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book caught my attention on page one with it's incredibly truthful chapter headings that had me roaring in laughter!

Susan Santangelo is a Goodreads author and on Facebook and is one terrific Author to boot.

It is about a wife's internal feelings about her hubby's upcoming retirement (with a murder mystery thrown in for a bonus!)

I liked the characters, the settings, the mystery was solid and the book flowed.

Please go out and discover this author!
Kathi
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't bother

Sorry to say I did not like this book. Her 'beloved' was so pompous that I kept hoping he was the murderer after all, even though he was the obvious suspect. She should have kicked him to the curb. Don't waste your time on these snippy people. I won't be reading any other books in this series. Retirement has to be better than this!
Edie
Apr 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really can't stand the way Carol lets her husband, Jim, treat her. He yells at her, he belittles her opinions. Why does she call him "My Beloved"? I can't imagine any woman tolerating a marriage like hers.
Kathleen
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015
kind of stupid, didn't like the main characters at all
Chris Leuchtenburg
Jun 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Endless yacking, not much mystery, clumsy character development, slow paced, couldn't finish it. Yuck.
Sherrel
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Retirement Can Be Murder

First book of the Every Wife Has A Story series, we are introduced to Carol Andrews and her supporting cast of characters: Jim (her husband), Jenny (her daughter), Nancy-Claire and Mary Alice (her 3 best friends since childhood) and then there's Lucy and Ethel (her very supportive dogs).
Carol has a problem with the thought of her husband retiring--he would be home and underfoot 24/7-365. In an effort to keep him employed, they go to a Re-tirement Coach who is soon murder
Woody
Funny cozy read
Carol faces a daunting prospect, her husband is thinking of Retiring.!! They go to see a retirement counsellor, who is later murdered. Carol’s husband Jim becomes a suspect, and she tries to prove his innocence by solving the murder.
Quite funny in parts and entertaining, especially the end of chapter quotes which had me laughing every time. I didn’t enjoy the way Jim the husband treated and spoke to Carol, probably why she dreaded his retirement so much. I didn’t really engage wi
Margaret Holbrook
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and the characters as well. Carol's friends are marvellous and exactly what friends should be; people you can have fun with, who'll pick you up when you're down and also tell you the truth when you need it. It is a cosy crime, but crime doesn't always have to be blood and gore, cosy can be good. And this one comes with a recipe, not for murder but for Ice Cream Bread. I'd never heard of it but since making some yesterday I'm a fan of that as well. Can't wait to try mor ...more
Kathleen Meacham
A new author for me. I had high hopes for this series, but found the first installment to be just O.K. There were multiple editing errors (i.e. missing words) and a bit of unnecessary profanity. I thought that it would be much funnier, and at times I found the book repetitive. Plus it was obvious who the killer was, and yet the ending was drawn out. That said, I will still try the next in the series as I don't want to give up on it yet.
Drew
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
‘Retirement Can Be Murder’ is an nice little cozy mystery with an interesting plot and some good one liners. The characters are fun and interesting but the plot was a bit straightforward. While I didn’t know why the killer did it until the end I could tell who it was pretty early in the story. The writing is good an I’ll definitely move on in the series when I’m in the mood for a similar type book. If you like cozy mysteries this is story should be right up your alley.
Suzi
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read -- with recipes. I retired about the time this series began and I can't believe I missed it. Carol has a great life and good friends. Although she calls her husband, My Beloved, I think they squabble a lot. (Not that I don't!) Can't wait to read the rest of the series. I love a new -- to me -- series.
Rose Sandoval
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: susan-santangelo
Is he guilty?

A murder and having to find a way to keep Jim from going to prison for it sure can be draining. Carol shows us that a wife will do what is needed to make sure that her husband stays home. or can she? All the evidence points to him.
Marcia
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great and entertaining

I read this book after reading the second one in this series. I love her writing and her humor hits home in many ways. I look forward to reading each one in this series!
Dinnl
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story. On the light side and the heroine was a little too ditzy, but still managed to solve the mystery with a lot of help from her friends.
Beth Wilson
Cute

This was a cute story. It ended happily, which is always appreciated, well mostly always! It took me awhile to get through this book; it was good, but not compelling.
Susan Dickie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lazy day read

Enjoyed spending a day outdoors reading this fun book. The chapter titles are fun and added to my enjoyment. It’s not Shakespeare but an easy fun read.
Scilla
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Andrews is talking about retirement, and Carol isn't too happy about it. She checks out retirement planning services, and by talking about it on the phone with a friend convinces her husband to see a counselor, Davis Rhodes. Jim is convinced he has convinced Davis to let Jim do an ad campaign for him. Then Carol hears that Davis is going to give a presentation on a TV show that Jim hadn't planned. Jim goes to see Davis on his way home from work, and finds Davis dead. The police suspect Jim a ...more
Kathy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good cozy mystery. Easy to relate to characters. Quick read.
Donna Blaha
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baby boomer mystery

I enjoyed this story. It was light and entertaining, something to read when you need a break from a heavy piece of literature.
Julie
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Carol is freaking out because her husband, Jim, wants to retire. She hopes to dissuade him by hooking him up with a retirement coach. The retirement coach is meant to give him direction and help him find purpose in his retirement, or, as Carol hopes, convince him it's too soon to retire. Instead Jim becomes so excited by the retirement coach that he decides to take him on as a new client at his PR firm. Unfortunately when no contract is signed and Jim finds out that his new client is making a ma ...more
Ruth
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol can't wait to meet her friends for lunch. When they sit down at Maria's, their usual place to eat, she begins her rant about how Jim has announced that he is going to retire. When his old boss passed away and his wife, who had inherited the company brought in a young man to take over, things began to go downhill for Jim. He hated the way the new boss ran things which were very atypical of an office setting and felt as though the young people that the new boss hired didn't pull their weight ...more
LORI CASWELL
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Carol Andrews and her Beloved Husband, Jim, are members of the fastest growing demographic in history, the Baby Boomer generation. Jim has started thinking about retiring because he isn’t really happy with all the new changes at work. Carol has her own routine and the last thing she needs is Jim hanging around the house all day. During a lunch with her friends Carol learns about retirement coaches. She thinks this is just what Jim needs to convince him retirement is just not the best option for ...more
Terri Armstrong
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“Retirement can be Murder” by Susan Santangelo:

Not since first picking up one of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plumb books, have I ever laughed or enjoyed a book so much as Santangelo’s “Retirement can be Murder”.
Carol thinks she’s being smart, steering Jim tow
Elva
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
the ice cream bread recipe sounds really good and i can't wait to try it!

the book is a nice, very quick read and a kinda realistic peek (i think, anyway)into the lives of female upper-middle class aarp'ers. i have hundreds of friends like this.

i especially like that main character, carol, has 3 bffs who always have each other's backs. they are a little bit on the goody-2-shoes side. nevertheless, the women are loyal, honest, smart, and resourceful.

carol and husband, jim (her 'beloved'), raised 2
Merle
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Labeled as a "baby-boomer" mystery this is a fun new series written by Susan Santangelo. Written from the point of view of a woman who has just launched her two children and thinks she has gotten her days and the house to herself , she about to confront not only a boomerang child, but a husband contemplating retirement.

Santangelo has a clever writing style even the quotes used at the heading of each chapter are fun to read...Each chapter had a quote about marriage, retirement or men...for exampl
« previous 1 3 4 next »
BOOMER LIT: Nove...: Check out my Baby Boomer mysteries! 9 20 Dec 14, 2012 06:51AM

• Engulfed
  • Death Will Help You Leave Him: A Humorous New York Mystery (Bruce Kohler, #2)
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • Death in a Turkey Town (Chloe Boston Mystery #3)
  • River of Glass
  • The Esposito Series Books Box Set (Esposito Mysteries #1-3)
  • Christmas Spirit (Darcy Sweet #14)
  • Tales from My Hard Drive
  • Broken Music
  • Kissing Frogs in Cyberspace
  • The Quotient of Murder (Sophie Knowles #4)
  • Murder Talks Turkey (Gertie Johnson, #3)
  • A Lie for a Lie (Ministry is Murder Mystery, #4)
  • Crimson Cipher
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • The Carpathian Assignment: The True History of the Apprehension and Death of Dracula Vlad Tepes, Count and Voivode of the Principality of Transylvania
  • Thin Blood

Baby Boomer Mysteries (7 books)
  • Moving can be Murder (Baby Boomer Mystery, #2)
  • Marriage Can Be Murder (Baby Boomer Mystery, #3)
  • Class Reunions Can Be Murder: Every Wife Has A Story (A Baby Boomer Mystery Book 4)
  • Funerals Can Be Murder (A Baby Boomer Mystery Book 5)
  • Second Honeymoons Can Be Murder (A Baby Boomer Mystery Book 6)
  • Dieting Can Be Murder: Every Wife Has a Story (A Baby Boomer Mystery Book 7)
“The hardest years of a marriage are the ones following the wedding.” 2 likes