Start by marking “Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems” as Want to Read:

It's been known for years that usability testing can dramatically improve products. But with a typical price tag of $5,000 to $10,000 for a usability consultant to conduct each round of tests, it rarely happens.

In this how-to companion to Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, Steve Krug spells out an approach to usability testing that anyone can e
Published December 1st 2009 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rocket Surgery Made Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocket Surgery Made Easy

Samira
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
..."I’ve always said that writing is the hardest work I know of and that I can’t understand why anyone would do it unless someone was holding a gun to their head (which, of course, is what deadlines are all about)." ...
:)))))))
Denise
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So simple and direct - this book is great! I've done usability tests many times before, but I don't do them all that frequently. This book is like a simple cookbook that will remind me of all the important little things I need to do or consider when I do these test. It will be a handy reference for me! Plus, Steve Krug is funny, which is part of what makes his book is a pleasure to read.
Beverly Ho
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just like "Don't Make Me Think", this is a concise, easy to read, and valuable book that anyone in software development should read. Steve Krug has a way of explaining the Usability Testing concept that can be applied easily. It was an interesting read. I couldn't put it down until I finished it before I landed on a 6 hour flight.
Rae
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
Read "Don't make me Think" back when I was first starting and this book is just as good if you're interested in running quick usability tests. I found the chapter on the types of common problems participants have and the chapter on being a therapist to be the most useful in my work life.

A fast read, but were I to start running tests, I'd read it again.
Anna Migas
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nicely written but I don't feel that I have learnt anything new. I would recommend it to the begginers, not people who already had a chance to run any usability test in the past.
Izalette
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Eddie VanArsdall
Kudos for the Companion Book to Don’t Make Me Think

Rocket Surgery Made Easy is an excellent resource for anyone who facilitates usability testing.

Steve Krug outlines all of the steps, from preparation to execution. He covers variations in the process, whether you are leading testing in the same room as the participant or by remote access. Steve also recommends online facilitation tools such as Go to Meeting and capture tools such as Camtasia.

Not only is this book a must-have; it’s a great read
Seng Wee Wong
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is purely about usability testing. Not about rocket science. I have no idea what the author was thinking when he decided to name this book “Rocket Surgery Made Easy...”...! Misleading title.

Albeit the weirdly named title, this book is quite helpful for product managers to conduct their usability testing. This book is highly practical and the author has listed down step by step procedure to conduct a usability test for your software. What to look out for and what not.

This book is quit
Mythreyi
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-stuff
It is exactly what it says it is. Great starting point for anyone starting research. If you have no experience and probably are a engineer or designer or product creator - this is a great starting book to getting your end user feedback. And fixing the website or app accordingly.

I just wish there is more about interpreting results and developing solution. Probably that is experience level. This is great for collecting problems to improve upon.
Alberts Pumpurs
Jan 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
This should be called Usability for supper dummies. A basic book that can be written in less than one A4 page. Unless testing and usability is something that you haven't heard before in your life and have almost no idea what it is - skip this book and don't waste your time. If you know a very, very bit of conducting any kinds of interviews and know a little of usability meaning - skip this book and get something that provides a more knowledge.
Jean-Francois Potvin
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Real easy to read, consistent with Don't Make Me Think.

Will start doing some usability testing very soon. I am really excited about the potential and pumped to make it a monthly rendez vous. Even thinking about signing up as a participant (not a test subject) ;-) on user testing web services to try the experience.

Thanks for all the tips Steve!
Ang
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is PERFECT for amateur usability testers, or anyway people who want to become that for their organization. I feel like this book is perrrrrfect for librarians who want to test but don't know where to start. This book will literally get you through every step, including the debrief. Highly recommended for beginners!
Milan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I wish I had read this book about a year ago when we started with do-it-yourself usability testing. We've invented most of the stuff in the book on our own and our methods are surprisingly similar. We even use the same microphone as the one mentioned in the book! But there are still some useful tips and tricks we can use to improve our process.
Tomáš Zahradník
Pro mě se jednalo o zásadní knihu, díky které jsem se pustil do testování svých i klientských projektů. Steve Krug píše zábavně, stručně a hlavně věcně. V praktickém průvodci — jaký je podtitul knihy — je spousta užitečných rad i návodů z praxe, které jsou pochopitelné a rychle aplikovatelné. Díky Steve!
Wrenaria
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux-ui, guides
Quick, easy read filled with valuable and practical information. Great for reference to come back to when you need a refresh on user testing and great starting point for anyone new to finding and fixing usability problems. Steve offers some useful resources you can download too - forms, testing scripts, etc.
Jenny GB
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great how-to for usability testing, but overall I didn't feel it added a whole lot more than Don't Make Me Think. Unless you're going to actually run usability testing for your company and you need a more detailed guide, you can probably skip this book. If you want an overview of the concept, read Don't Make Me Think.
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant book! Concise, practical, and very well written. It will give you all the knowledge you need to get started with usability testing in a very short period of time.
I can't recommend this book enough for people looking to get feedback on their websites.
Eden Soper
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Quick read that simply and clearly laid out the basics of usability testing. I definitely will be trying out the "morning a month" method and probably will involve the developers on my team in figuring out what we want to test.
Mike Peleah
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Simple, direct, and right to the point cookbook for testing website design, at any stage--from a sketch on a napkin to a fully-functioning web site or application. You could extend application of principles and tools from this books to usability of other things. Very practical and handy book.
Prashant
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
User experience testing .. when to do. who to interview. how to plan. how to do. pit falls to be careful about. lists to be prepared with.
Short read over a weekend.
Do it before you build projects and probably do it.
Lucía
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is a MUST READ if you want to enter to the UX world.

I like the simplicity of the book, but still contains great content and it's very clear. The exercises and examples for doing an usability test are great!!
Derrick
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy read for how to do user tests yourself without making it into a big and exhausting ordeal.
Dharmesh Raithatha
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this to everyone that needs to run a user testing session.
Michal Půta
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seriously. The most profound book on user testing. Steve gives you a script, clear examples, how to read your data... This book made me want to test!
Marlene
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, textbooks, kindle
Textbook.
Liesl
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super practical just like the first book. Quick and useful read.
Windyasari Septriani
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like Steve Krug books and this is very good for those who want to know User testing as UX Designers/Researchers.
Dubi Kanengisser
Simple, straightforward, and great at making the point that, well, it's not rocket surgery. Good to have this confirmation that it's not that I'm missing something, it just really is that simple.
Eva
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent: straight forward explanations of how to conduct user testing and why

• Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Card Sorting
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Steve Krug (pronounced “kroog”) is best known as the author of Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, now in its second edition with over 300,000 copies in print.
Ten years later, he finally gathered enough energy to write another one: the usability testing handbook Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems.
The books were bas