Start by marking “Christmas Stories” as Want to Read:
Christmas Stories

Charles Dickens

Christmas Stories

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Three of Dickens' famous tales-- including "A Christmas Carol," "The Chimes," and "The Cricket on the Hearth"-- make perfect holiday reading for the whole family.

A perennial favorite, read over and over again each year, "A Christmas Carol" exemplifies the spirit of Christmas, and the warm-hearted good cheer of this classic is also the keynote the "The Chimes" and "The Cric
Hardcover, Book Club Edition, 352 pages
Published 1955 by Nelson Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Stories

Kenny

I have a tradition of reading something by Dickens over the Christmas holidays. Sometimes a full novel, often a short story, mostly re-readings of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, this being my favorite of all Dickens' writings. This year I read this with a good friend from Good Reads. It was his introduction to Dickens and my keeping up with tradition. Rather than writing a review for this I thought I would make some general observations I have on the work.

1) It is a timeless biblical story of redemption and
Scott
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being as it is near impossible to gauge the narrative strength of “A Christmas Carol”—the basic story and its many film and animated adaptations so ingrained in our culture—I still can’t help myself from wondering if “The Cricket on the Hearth” would not be an even more beloved holiday staple if only more people knew of it. “Cricket” was, after all, more beloved in Dickens’s own time. The narrative twists and beautifully written passages give ample reason why a 19th Century readership, if not ev ...more
Tânia
*It should be noted that I’m not a fan of the classics

“A Christmas Carol” was fine. It’s well-written and very creative but this one worked better for me on the screen. 3 out of 5 stars.

“The Chimes” was off to a good start. I was really enjoying the story of a homeless man living on the stairs of a church and having a deep connection with the chimes. But then it takes a completely different direction and gets too repetitive and preachy. And thus, the Christmas Carol 2.0 lost all the appeal. 2 o
Maria João
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7 de 10*

Assim que terminei a leitura do primeiro conto "Cântico de Natal", escrevi o meu comentário a este conto antes de ler os restantes. Entretanto a minha opinião mudou um pouco, mas para não se perder o meu primeiro impacto com a escrita de Charles Dickens, vou manter o que escrevi:

Esta foi a minha primeira incursão na literatura de Charles Dickens (sem contar com adaptações em livros infanto-juvenis como David Copperfield) e uma vez mais fiquei surpreendida com a escrita e com a história.

C
Jemma
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy, 2013, classics
'A Christmas Carol' is certainly one of those classics that everyone should read regularly. I know I've read it before but couldn't remember all the details.

It took me more than a month to read all three stories in this book. I fooled myself into thinking it would be a quick read because it was small, but it had tiny, thin pages and was actually very long.

'A Christmas Carol' filled me with such great hope and joy at what it is to be human, and showed me that it's important to appreciate what an
Noqe
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Christmas Carol", A History of Christmas Ghosts
This is a story, a tale already well known and because of the movie "A Christmas Carol" by Robert Zemeckis. I saw the movie in the theater in 2009 and fell in love completely by the story of Ebenezer Scrooge and the ghosts of Christmas. Every year the Christmas time have a habit of watching the movie and since 2009 he wanted to buy the book Dickens Christmas tale.
Reading this story didn't disappoint me at all. I still to like it! Dickens's writing
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cheated on this a little bit. I read 90% of the book in 2015 so it can be counted as a 2015 book even though I finished it 30 hours into 2016.
But anyway, I read A Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day, The Cricket on the Hearth on Boxing Day and on the following 3 days and the The Chimes on New Year's Eve's Eve, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, and in the first hours of the 2nd day of January.
I really enjoyed A Christmas Carol it was a great story with incredible morals up to date
Tita
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta edição inclui 3 contos escritos por Dickens: Cântico de Natal, Os Carrilhões e O Grilo da Lareira.
Sendo que só não tinha lido Os Carrilhões, e por isso, os outros dois contos foram efectivamente uma releitura, mais concretamente li-os pela terceira vez =)
Cântico de Natal, continua a ser o meu preferido e para mim é 5 estrelas.
Pela terceira vez, O Grilo da Lareira, não me cativa. 3 estrelas.

Os Carrilhões - 4 estrelas
Um paralelismo entre a personagem principal, Toby Veck, e os sinos.
Apesar d
Pamela Scott
A CHRISTMAS CAROL: I love this book. I enjoyed it even more the second time around. A Christmas Carol is my favourite Christmas story. I’ve seen loads of different TV and movie adaptations. These include the Muppet’s version (my absolute favourite) and the recent Disney version. I also love the movie Scrooged based on Dickens’s tale. It’s safe to safe I’m a fan of A Christmas Carol. The reading experience is much better than watching it on TV. This is the perfect Christmas tale.

I really enjoyed
Kerri
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, classic
A Christmas Carol in written form is more beautiful and less frightening than ANY of the film adaptations I have seen. (I am partial to Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol.)

Originally bought for my niece and nephew, it never made it to their collections -- excited to find all titles within one volume and enjoying reading it as part of my "Christmas preparations".

Did not enjoy The Chime, or rather I should say, I clearly missed something in it -- I DON'T understand why TODDY needs his conscience awakene
Sally
Enjoyed reading 'A Christmas Carol' back in 2011. After so many years of watching 'The Muppet Christmas Carol' it was nice to finally read the story. Though the film is only the first layer of the story, so if you haven't read the story then do!!

'The Chimes' took forever to read and got confusing. You do get to understand what's going on at the end the story, however. (Read in 2012).

And as for 'The Cricket on the Hearth', it's still a good story but it's not one Dickens best. I'm surprised this
Laura Deger
"A Christmas Carol" was an excellent read and is deservedly a classic. Based on this story alone, I would rate it 5 stars, however, "The Chimes" was worth about 3 stars, and "Cricket on the Hearth" was 1 star. "The Chimes" had some good satire and interesting characters, but it ended up becoming a re-telling of the ghosts of Christmas from "A Christmas Carol" except it's New Year's Eve, and the main character is poor and kind. "Cricket on the Hearth" was difficult to read and not very entertaini ...more
Helena
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Helena by: Marita_z
Cântico de Natal (4/5)
Este conto é o conto mais conhecido dos contos de Natal do Dickens. Sempre gostei da história e não desiludiu.

Os Carrilhões (2/5)
Este conto irrita-me... A moral até pode ser boa, mas a forma como está escrito é irritante! Ahhhh... Acabou! Que conto mais irritante!

O Grilo da Lareira (3/5)
Este conto lê-se bastante bem, embora não goste que tudo termine tão bem... Os maus passam a bons em todos os contos... Eu sei que são para crianças, mas ainda assim penso que é demais pensa
Ryan
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, "A Christmas Carol" was the most enjoyable of the three; "The Chimes" was, I'm sorry to say, a let-down (a bit on the nose about mistreatment of the poor, including an alderman committing suicide via shotgun and a woman nearly tossing the baby she can't care for in a river); "The Cricket on the Hearth" was enjoyable enough, perhaps more playful than the other two (certainly than "The Chimes"). All in all, if you enjoy Dickens, give it a read. If not, just read "A Christmas Carol."
Michael
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masterpieces, fiction
Like anything that has been remade over and over again, our ideas of this book can be based more on modern atlerations than the actual story. But nothing beats going back to the source material to see why so many people have wanted to present this story again. In this case, the source material trumps all attempts to reinterpret it. It's funny, moving and insightful. I read it every year at Christmas, and I would reommend it everyone.
Mike
Dec 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"A Christmas Carol" was excellent. I've seen several versions of the movie many times but had never read the book until now.

However, the other two stories were a most difficult trial to read.

Perhaps it's just me, but I simply cannot stand the style of writing from the 1800s and earlier.

There are just too many words and too many run-on sentences separated only by commas and semi-colons. After a while, you forget what you were reading.
Janča Jindřichová
Tato knížka mě provázela letošními svátky a bylo to jako pohlazení po duší. Líbily se mi všechy tři povídky a ačkoli může být styl vyprávění pro současné čtenáře již vyčpělý, zdlouhavý či nudný, mému oku lahodil. Ráda bych ze čtení této knížky udělala novou vánoční tradici a sahla po ní každý rok v předvánočním čase. A určitě si přečtu i nějakou další klasiku z pera mistra Dickense!
Heather
Dec 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christmas lovers
I really enjoyed reading the original Christmas Carol. I must say, I did imagine the muppet characters while I was reading. I thought it was interesting how some movies have deviated from the story and what they chose to change. I really enjoyed it. Read it, it only takes a couple hours (116 pages).
Emily Murphy
NOTE: That rating is only for "The Chimes." Once I read "A Cricket on the Hearth" and "A Christmas Carol," I'll update the star rating.
aurora
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas Carol: 4.5/5
The Chimes: 2.5/5
The Cricket on the Hearth: 2.5/5
Average (rounded): 3/5 ⭐⭐⭐
Charity
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this edition--but I had no other choice.
First it was read to me, then I read it--every Christmas Eve.
Karen
Dec 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
I should probably rate this higher, I love A Christmas Carol so much but the other two stories were just okay to me.
Michaela
I don't know why I've insisted on considering Charles Dickens to be 'really not THAT good'.
I take it back.
Justin Covey
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with the hopes of expanding my holiday song repertoire. Did not learn a single new carol, very disappointed.
Taffy
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Great Christmas classic to read every year!
Lindsay
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Great classic stories.
Nikki
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading A Christmas Carol. Unfortunately I only got half way through The Chimes and I haven't yet tried The Cricket on the Hearth but may do in the future.
Susan
Jan 22, 2011
Channell
rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2013
Paula Alexandra
Mar 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Charles John Huffam Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and sho ...more
More about Charles Dickens...