Start by marking “One Lucky Cowboy (Lucky, #2)” as Want to Read:
One Lucky Cowboy (Lucky, #2)

One Lucky Cowboy (Lucky #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,554 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews

Jane Day is on the run from the paid assassin who had been her fiancé. In Wichita Falls, Texas, she meets Nellie Luckadeau, a spitfire of an old lady who desperately needs someone to work on her ranch. But Nellie's drop-dead gorgeous grandson "Lucky Slade" is sure he can spot a con artist a mile away. He's determined not to let some upstart like Jane fleece his granny.

When

Published November 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about One Lucky Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Lucky Cowboy

Sandy M
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, western
I have big, big problems with this book. It took only one chapter for this story to go from pretty good to now I’m not so sure how good it is. Then things really fell apart.

I liked the beginning of this book, meeting the characters, learning about why the heroine is hiding from her fiance. I didn’t even mind the sniping and snipping between the hero and heroine. In the beginning anyway. That’s another story that will come later. The main problem with this book for me that started early is the di
May 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Free on Kindle, glad I didn't pay for it--- Uneven at best, it's strangely paced, and the leads are off-putting (i.e., the 'banter' ain't funny) no matter what situation they are in. Plus, the author likes to name-drop the strangest products and movies...it's like she mixed up her book notes with her shopping list.
Amanda
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I did not expect to love this book as much as I did. In fact, I had no idea what to expect when I began it. It looked good, had cowboys, and a woman on the run from an assassin. Seemed interesting. What I ended up with was the cowboys and the assassins, plus so much more.

Quick bit about the story: Jane leaved right before her wedding when she discovers that her fiance is really an assassin hired to kill her before her 25th birthday when she will inherit her family's oil business. She gets off a
Brigitte
Jul 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Where to begin....while there are scenes of this book that are amusing and somewhat entertaining, there is a great deal more of it that is just plain awful. The dialogue is stilted and unnatural. What I am assuming is supposed to be banter between the main characters doesn't sound like the way two adults with two brain cells to rub together would talk. There are some genuinely amusing moments between Jane and Slade, but then the very next moment, there are inane catfights (in parking lots and Wa ...more
LadyCalico
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
This might have been a good book and was not without charms--but there were so many things about it that were just so unlikable. First of all, I really didn't like Jane--she kept saying she wasn't white trash , but then behaved like nothing but--really annoying. There seems to be a contest among romance writers lately to see who can come up with the most obnoxious heroine--if Ms. Brown didn't win, she surely made it to the semi-finals. The cat fights with the alpha male's other trashy girlfriend ...more
Lauren
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I definitely had read this book before, but didn't remember until it was too late. I read of couple of reviews prior who complained about the first half v second half of the book and that the flow wasn't there, I say: romance novels are, as a rule, governed by convoluted circumstances.

This book was certainly convoluted, and the beginning was fun-I enjoyed the characters' banter and chemistry, but really it lost me at the end-the last few chapters were pretty terrible, and I ended up actually no
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
My favorite characters of the trilogy are Ellen and Nellie. Funny old ladies. Slade was a bit of an ass and Jane wouldn't put up with that. Which is great, I've noticed a lot of books have a hero that's an ass but still gets the girl to fall for him. What's wrong with a nice man?
Gwen Hayes
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I'm a little upset about all the movie spoiler for Bucket List, which I hadn't seen yet.
Marisol
May 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
At the middle of the book the story line got to be pretty ridiculous. The two stars are for Nellie & Ellen who made me chuckle a couple of times. Good thing it was a free kindle book.
Jane
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carolyn-brown
Being a fan of Carolyn Brown I enjoyed One Lucky Cowboy very much. Slade and Jane are like oil and water. The bantering between them is non stop some to the point of being very humorous. Their road to a happily ever after is bumpy and filled with suspense. This is a great standalone cowboy romance that will keep a smile on your face and the pages turning.
Danielle
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd have given this five stars had the author paid more attention to detail. It's the inconsistencies that robbed this story of that rating. I did not like having to go back and search for an earlier detail just to make sure that I'd paid attention.
Lori
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great story! This was fast paced, full of adventure, intrigue and many laugh's. Slade and Jane were both very strong character's! And I just loved the hilarious elderly ladies in this story!
Connie S. Koog
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucky in love!

Another fun book to read. This was a great time in the life of a very strong ladies life. It takes a brave person to do what she did to save herself.
Annette K Hernandez
Fun reading.

I really enjoyed this series of books. They are funny, loveable, and endearing. The series is well thought out and very believable.
April
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Free Kindle download. The first couple of chapters were promising, but it sort of went downhill from there. I'm certain the author intended the interaction between the hero and the heroine to be something like teasing banter, or like the sort of passionate arguing between two people sharing a lot of sexual tension for each other, but the execution wasn't there. It came off as a little antagonistic, awkward, and weird, and without any kind of motivation for it either. The result for me was a comp ...more
Brenda
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book! I always love a book with a good cowboy in it. Jane is really Ellacyn Hayes but gets off a bus and tells a women she is looking for work and gives the name of Jane Day. She is on the run from a fiance and a relative who want her dead on her honeymoon before she can turn 25 and inherit her family oil company. She finds out the fiance is with a women posing as his sister who is really his accomplis and she runs the day before the wedding. She hires on to a ranch as a cook ...more
Wendy Hines
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ellacyn Jane Hayes is about to have the happiest day of her life. But on the eve before her wedding day, she sees her fiance' making out with his "sister". She also overhears their plans to murder Ellacyn on the honeymoon. Ellacyn knows she needs to hide for six weeks until her twenty-fifth birthday, the day she inherits the family ranch and oil business.

She leaves in the middle of the night and fortune shines down on her hours later at a bus station. Nellie Luckadeau has been wanting to hire s
Cheryl
Nov 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Slade Luckadeau is the man of the ranch. He likes it that way. He will not see some woman come waltzing in and make herself at home. Slade doesn’t care if his grandmother invited her to work at the ranch. Slade believes that Jane Day is hiding something and he doesn’t like it. Slade can’t get Jane off the property fast enough.

Jane Day is on the run for her life. She has no where to go but forward. Just her luck, a nice lady invites Jane to come to the ranch. She can stay in exchange for helping
Barbara
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this modern day cowboy story with its mix of fun characters, romance, danger and suspense. Jane Day is really Ellacyn Jane Hayes, a runaway bride escaping from the conman/hit man fiancé she has learned is planning to kill her after the wedding. She runs into Nellie Luckadeau at the bus station, who hires her to work as a cook at her cattle ranch, despite the protests of her grandson Slade, who thinks Jane is a shifty character out to dupe his grandmother. Jane just needs to lay low for ...more
Jen
May 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shh I'm reading!
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I knew this was a Sourcebooks and new that I needed to temper my expectations. Thank goodness I did or who knows the vitriol I'd be spewing, when in reality the tale at least showed promise. Jane/Ellencyn is on the run from her murderous fiance and stepfather, who intend to benefit from her death. She runs and lands on Slade Luckadeau's ranch. It's hate from the start, which can only mean fighting their attraction, despite the interference of well-meaning older relatives. Intrigue and banter sho ...more
Kimberly Lewis
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is book two in Ms. Brown’s “Lucky Series” and was my favorite of the three. I found myself laughing out loud during most parts and holding my breath with anticipation during others.

Jane Day is on the run from a hired assassin and takes refuge on a ranch in Texas thanks to an older woman named Nellie, who hires her on as temporary help. Nellie’s grandson Slade Luckadeau on the other hand feels that his grandmother is asking for trouble by bringing home some stranger that they know nothing ab
Layla Darnell
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As always Carolyn captures your heart with her sweet and colorful characters. These stories pull on your heart strings and make you genuinely feel for her characters. Hiding out and on the run after finding out her life is in danger Jane finds herself taken in on the Double L ranch and feeling at home for the first time in years. Then meet Slade Luckadeu handsome sexy stubborn cowboy who believes Jane is a con artist and intent on disliking her. Thrown on the run together these two fight like ca ...more
Lori
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Pretty lackluster. The banter wasn't really banter for much of the book; it came across as simply arguing for argument's sake. And - friends in Texas - is this really how Texans talk? Do Texans not learn proper grammar? Just curious. Jane is supposed to come across as feisty, and simply comes off as juvenile. And there was absolutely no reason for Slade to hate her so much, so why did he?

Complete with stereotyped bottle blondes with a few too many pounds and nasty little children that take after
Linda
Jan 20, 2016 added it
I can't say enough about Carolyn Brown and her wonderful stories about cowboys. Jane Day obviously was using another name when she arrived in town on a Greyhound bus but Nellie Luckadeau could see the truth in her and hired her as a driver on the spot. Unfortunately her grandson Slade was not so convinced as she was. He was sure Jane, if that was really her name, was here to steal them blind and he was going to get rid of her as soon as possible. That proved to be more difficult than he realized ...more
Dannielle
Jun 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
I would have given this book more start because of the story line - but just could not bring myself to do it. I will start by saying that the "idea" of this book is a good one. The plot would have been good if the author could have not jumped and repeated so much. Actually it got pretty annoying and I don't understand why I didn't just go with my gut and put it down! The language was awful! I don't understand why authors seem to think that they need to use bad language so much, actually I might ...more
Diana
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is a breath of fresh air on a hot summer day. It is both funny and intriguing,has a flair for the melodramatic, and has some of the most far fetched sayings in it that I have ever read. Example:"Slade's grandmother could have danced a jig in a pig trough hlf full of fermented slop". The two elderly characters in this book are a laugh riot. The book also has some heatfelt verses that makes you catch your breath and bring a tear to your eye. The bantering back and forth between all of th ...more
Kristi
I would have given this one 4 stars, but the Kindle formatting was pretty bad. Not the worst I've seen, but several words per page would be split into two and there was no spacing between paragraphs so it was kind of fatiguing to read.

The plot and the characters were great though! I loved the action element. While I've never personally found arguing and bickering to fan the flames of desire, it was a great element here and done well. I also enjoyed the glimpse of the previous book's main charact
Kelly
This wasn't a *bad* book by any means, I just felt like it took 5 pages to say what could have been said in 2. That said, I did read it from beginning to end and I liked it enough to finish it in one evening. I just... didn't love it.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up 05/05/11 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Audrey
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ridiculous names? Improbable scenarios? Hamfisted exposition and the tropiest of character tropes?

I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER LAUGHABLE BATCH OF JUNK FOOD BOOKS!
Outi
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: koneella, chick-lit
Lovely romance. There was action, catfights and ofcourse, steaming relationship. Kept me reading well into the night.
Jane Ellen
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very good book. Enjoyed Carolyn Brown's sense of humor throughout. Ready to get into the next in the series!!
Michelle
I got this book free through my Kobo so I figured I give it a shot. I wasn't disappointed. It was a good read. Admittedly of the three books in the Lucky series it wasn't the best, it was probably, if I had to number them, third on my list. But in its own right it was good. It was if nothing else an entrance into Carolyn Brown's works. And I do enjoy her writing. I will say that I'm glad I didn't pay for this one because I don't think I would have found it worth the money.
Jackie (Literary Escapism)
One Lucky Cowboy is a fantastic romance that any diehard will enjoy. Not only do we have engaging lead characters, but the supporting characters are just as amusing and definitely add a whole new layer of enjoyment. If anyone is looking for a quick romance, then pick up One Lucky Cowboy, I know I’m itching to go find the first novel in this series, Lucky in Love.

To read my full review, click here - http://www.literaryescapism.com/6101/...
Fedora
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun western romance with lots of adventure
Donna Hatridge
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. There was humor, romance and some suspense. It was hard to put down when I wanted to see what Jane & Slade did next.
You see, Jane's fiance and her step father want the oil company that will be hers on her 25th birthday and will use any means to get it.
When Slade's aunt befriends Jane at the bus station and brings her home it makes Slade a very unhappy rancher.
Debbie
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have had the pleasure of reading several of Carolyn Brown books, first as a very appreciated ARC from the publisher, which hooked me totally on her writing.

I have enjoyed each and every book I've read and am enjoying this one just as much. So very glad to have an extra day off to enjoy this book.

Awesome book. Think I'll go dig out a few more of hers and do a re-read.
Pam H
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2013
I liked the writing in this book better than the first installment "Lucky in Love:. The characters in both are likeable and feisty but this book had less contrived "texas speak" which jumbled up the smoothness of the reading in the first book. I do like how her heroines are strong, feisty woman unafraid of standing up to men and don't feel they need men to survive.
Katy Budget Books
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by KBB customer Janet Robel: Good Book! I'm not really into cowboy romances but this one hooked me from the beginning. I liked this book because it wasn't a love at first sight type of novel. The heroine is great. She is a strong female who can take care of herself. I can't wait to read the other cowboy novels by this author.
Tweetybird
Jan 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
A very lacklustre romance. The dialogue was stilted, the situations incredible, and the book was at least 50 pages too long. The characters were very one-dimensional and the number of coincidences and near-misses were so contrived, it was a struggle to finish reading this book. Highly UN-recommended... don't waste your valuable time!
Highland-dreamer
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Elizabeth
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Like so many others of these romance books, I got this one on a Free Friday for my Nook. It was pretty predictable, as romances go. I did think the whole “on the run from an assassin” was an interesting twist. All in all, it was good enough that I finished it, but I don’t think I would have bought it on my own.
Tenille
Oct 19, 2010 rated it liked it
a cute story, albeit a little predictable, about a girl on the run from her step father and "fiance" after they put out a hit on her in an effort to get her oil company before she turns 25. strangers that turn out to be long lost friends of the family help her out. a really cute, fun and fast paced read.
Brandi
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Don't judge a cowboy until you've seen him in the saddle. One good cowboy adventure that I didn't want to end. Slade, Nellie, Ellen and the whole Lucadeau clan was charming. Not to mention, Jane. Gotta love her spunk. Worth the read and definitely a follow up with the other books.
Gils
This book isn't really worth the time you take to read it. The plot is a little stunted and doesn't flow well. The writing is ok, very repetitive. The chemistry between the two lovers is good. But its so hot and cold and hot and cold it gets annoying.

I would say don't read it.
  • Cowboy Trouble
  • Bridleton
  • SEALed with a Kiss (SEALed, #1)
  • Never a Bride
  • A Secret in Salem
  • Taken by the Cowboy
  • Make Mine a Bad Boy (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #2)
  • Already Home (Sons of Chance #6.2)
  • Sold to the Highest Bidder (Second Chances)
  • Tyler (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #1)
  • A Tall Dark Cowboy
  • When Love Comes (Night Riders, #5)
  • Blame it on Texas (Lone Star Cowboys #1)
  • Cowboy-Sexy
  • Roped
  • The Unexpected (Macon Valley Ménage, #1)
Hi! I'm twenty five years old and movie star gorgeous. The camera added thirty plus years and a few wrinkles. Can't trust those cameras or mirrors either. Along with bathroom scales they are notorious liars! Honestly, I am the mother of three fantastic grown children who've made me laugh and given me more story ideas than I could ever write. My husband, Charles, is my strongest supporter and my be ...more
More about Carolyn Brown...

Lucky (4 books)
  • Lucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
  • Getting Lucky (Lucky, #3)
  • Talk Cowboy to Me (Lucky Cowboys, #1)