Start by marking “The Hour Between” as Want to Read:
The Hour Between

The Hour Between

“I love stories about friendship, particularly those in which friendship is recalled under a nostalgic haze...I found the whole thing quite lovely...Stuart knows how to cut the pathos with some sharp wit.”—Daniel Goldin of Boswell Book Company for National Public Radio

When Arthur McDougal is kicked out of Manhattan’s toniest boys’ school, his parents ship him off to the on
Published September 1st 2009 by Alyson Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Hour Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hour Between

Mary
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: time-suck
As Seneca the Younger once said, "There's nothing new under the sun", and The Hour Between does not challenge that assertion. Predictable, somewhat juvenile, and two-dimensional, it is the story of two "misfits" who become instant best friends at a rather preposterous boarding school in rural Connecticutt in 1967. One of the reviews on Amazon gushingly referred to the male protagonist, Arthur MacDougal, as the new Holden Caulfield, a comparison with which I not only strongly disagree but am insu ...more
David
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
A coming of age story that is well written and rife with all the usuals: class guilt/anxiety, celebrity, counterculture experimentation, suicide, alcoholism, etc. Stuart's novel is a great story and a fun read but it lacks that extra something that makes it truly great! Definetly worth a read, but borrow it from someone before you buy it.
Joe Barker
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don’t usually like to review books right away, the emotions are too raw, and the situation may be caught up in my last emotion instead of my overall emotion. However, this novel didn’t inspire any overall emotion. For the majority of the story there was little emotional reaction to anything. It was one of those ‘good books but ehh take it or leave it.’ Then, it was so much more than that.

Authors are in the habit of encouraging idealized, romanticized, or demonized version of situations. When i
Gene Hult
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
An entertaining, very well-written boarding school, gay coming-of-age story, which perhaps leans on too many of its reference sources too solidly. I kept wondering if I'd read the book before, so strong was my occasional sense of déjà vu. There's some Salinger in the plot, some Leavitt and Cunningham and White and Fitzgerald and Isherwood . . . and weirdly, it reminded me a lot of Lev Grossman's The Magicians without the magic. And Rowling, too! But these are not bad forbears; they should inform ...more
Flannery
Dec 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010, bpl
Liz
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice read about friendship, with lots of backward glances at how much your family can screw you up. I kept waiting for the conflict – was there going to be something that happened among the friends, possibly because of Arthur’s sexuality? Was the school situation going to implode, with the friends taking sides? When it finally came, it seemed underwhelming to me, something I had seen coming for more than half the book.
Michael
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, poignant coming-of-age tale about a young man finishing high school at an exclusive boarding school during the 1960's. Arthur's life is forever changed when he meets the fabulous and troubled Katrina Felt. Sebastian Stuart draws a beautiful portrait of growing up in an era of change.
Trent
Jun 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
This novel just won the Ferro-Grumley Award as the best LGBT fiction of 2009. I am mystified by that, since the book struck me as arch, trite, and almost completely unbelievable.
Lisa
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved getting swept into the lives of these teens, grappling to find their place in the world, or at least to make it through their last year of high school.
Margaret
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and interesting reflection about American youth at a boarding school in the 1960's. The characters are troubled adolescents, growing up in wealthy families with high expectations but low levels of parental involvement.
I grew to care about them and their futures.
Well written.
Robert
THE HOUR BETWEEN, like all great stories, strives to be a love story, but perhaps it's more of a worship story: boy worships girl, tries to understand her, and -- and I'm going to say fails -- to communicate her story to us. We glimpse the story as he does, through venetian blinds, the staccato images being caused by his obsessions and her disappearances. Brilliantly frank, though at times too clever -- that is, I scratched my head and wondered if people really think like this -- way, way about ...more
Nicolemauerman
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Hour Between centers around, Arthur, who is sent to a boarding school, Spooner, in Connecticut after being kicked out of his previous boarding schools. Spooner is not your typical boarding school, with kids smoking in class, doing drugs, and having sex. Here the shy, awkward Arthur develops friendships with three fellow classmates, one who is the daughter of a famous actress. The book follows Arthur through his friendship with these three classmates, mostly as he tries to help his actress cl ...more
Jurri Saddler
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Due to the rating of Sebastian Stuart's, "The Hour Between" I was a little hesitant to read it. However, after seeing a review excerpt that compared it to John Knowles' "A Separate Peace," one of my favorite books, I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did. I can definitely see the comparison to Knowles book, but the difference lies in a lack of repression throughout the story. I admire that about the story. It kept my attention. The only weak spot I would say is some of the more serious subje ...more
Lauri
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
my amazon review.

I had gotten this book for my husband because he liked The Mentor. He is into murder-mysteries. After reading the cover I decided I should read it before I gave it to him. He will not be getting it to read, definitely not his style.

As for me, I thought it was okay. I was in college in the '60s so could relate to many of the people and things going on, i.e. Andy Warhol, etc. and even the coming of age stuff. I guess I somehow just expected more and was relieved when I finally fin
Scott
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh. There is nothing much to say. A poorly disguised self-indulgent autobiography about spoiled poor little rich boys and girls playing pseud hippies at a trendy boarding school in CT. Nothing much happens, not even any decent sex.
The autobiographee is gay. So what? So am I. So are lots of people. A book with a few gay characters might have been really exciting fifty years ago.
It won some awards. I guess there wasn't much competition.
Spoiler alert: Your expectation of any actual plot will not
Kathleen
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Poor little rich girl...too many drugs, too much money, too many choices, too much freedom. Ever wonder what happened to her?? It's 1967 and Katrina Felt befriends Arthur McDougal just as the car drives up to The Spooner School. Artie feels sure that he's gay, just about to burst with pent up feelings and unexplored love. He thinks he knows all of Katrina's secrets as the school year wears on, but as Katrina sinks, Arthur worries more about their friendship.
Katie
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I first started this book I honestly wasn't sure I would make it through it. It is very different from things I normally read. However, by the 3rd chapter I was hooked. The book is fantastic. It's the story of kids struggling with addictions, temptations, and feelings of abandonment as they finish their senior year at a boarding school. There is a bond created, but what will that mean for the following year? Will they be able to avoid all the temptations to make it through the year?
Nancy
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Holden Caulfield meets Girl Interrupted. A coming of age book (am I having a mid-life crisis with this genre?) set in a freethinking alternative prep school run by Christian Scientists. It's the late '60s and much in life & the world is being challenged. Four students are bound together as they navigate their last year of high school burdened by a changing world, familial and peer pressures. Couldn't help but think this was an amalgam of different stories (I really must move on!).
Kay Wright
Sep 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Like the other side of "Prep" this small story of a wealthy young man shipped off to a Connecticut boarding school has just enough detail of his priviledged life to make an interesting contrast to Lee's. But it is only another coming of age story and not terribly different from many others written by gay young men. I couldn't help but see Judy Garland and Liza Minelli in the mother daughter roles so it had kind of a roman-a-clef feel without the daughter's success.
Elizabeth Collins
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved the main character, Arthur, and Mr. Spooner and the school setting. I also liked the depiction of Lenny. And while I saw the narrative purpose of Katrina, the character was completely unbelievable.
what I think is that the author got totally stoned and came up with a "What if I went to school with Liza Minnelli" fantasy. And then he wrote this in like 6 weeks.
HOWEVER-- I want to go to Spooner High School.
Julie
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I feel like I've read this book before, perhaps because it doesn't really offer anything new in the whole "coming of age" line. Poor little rich girl, troubled rich boys, etc... I still quite liked it.

Interesting fact - Sebastian Stuart ghostwrote _Charm!_, which was a book "written" by a soap opera character (originally portrayed by Sarah Michelle Gellar pre-Buffy).
Alison
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This book reminded me a bit of Catcher in the Rye. Rich, private school kids trying to find themselves. Arthur, the main character, is the only normal one of the bunch and I was really rooting for him the whole way. Although he makes it out unscathed, the rest of the characters have predictable endings. Short and sweet, just how these types of novels should be.
Colleen
Seventeen year old Arthur is sent to a very liberal private school and meets Katrina, the troubled daughter of a movie star. Their friendship helps Arthur's confidence, but although Katrina initially seems strong, she's got a lot of secrets and sorrow from her past. It's one of those books that I'm glad I read it, but I'm not sure if I actually would recommend it to anyone I know.
Beth
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, fiction
For some reason, I've always gotten drawn into boarding school stories. It doesn't matter if it's magicians or rich kids with troubled backgrounds, I seem to tear through the story. Unlike other books with the same general plot, the main characters in this book were very genuine. Quick read, good story.
Cheryl
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great coming-of-age novel set in the 60s at a boarding school in Connecticut. All the accoutrements of the era -- drugs, sex, experimentation -- were included. A total flashback to the period as seen through poor rich kids. The ending left an opening for a sequel,
Jaci
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was touted as a cross between A Separate Peace and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Although I liked Artie (Arthur MacDougal), the main character, I was impatient with the "coming of age" story of monetarily endowed teens. Probably more a comment on me than the story.
Kim
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this 'coming-of-age' novel as Arthur, struggling to come to terms with his homosexuality, is sent to a new boarding school in Connecticut where he meets and falls in love with Katrina Felt, the daughter of a Hollywood movie star. Great writing and characterisation.
Jo
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
A nice coming of age story. The boarding school setting at Spooner is a little unreal, but I found it funny. Arthur who is clearly the underdog in life is an endearing character who finds acceptance amoungst a group of other misfits who are the cool kids in this particular setting.
Heidi
The Hour Between: A Novel is a coming of age story about a young man who attends a boarding school in New England. There, he finds the freedom to discover friendships, family and himself. I would consider this Emerging Adult fiction.
Dixie
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Coming of age story, reminded me of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Picked it up off the library's new book shelf and was intrigued by the title.

• The Sixth Form
  • He's The One
  • The Blue Lawn
  • The Drowning of Stephan Jones
  • Talk
  • Loving James (Surviving Elite High, #3)
  • Boys Like Us: Gay Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories
  • The Mariposa Club
  • Fairy
  • Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood
  • Night Sky Mine
  • Snow Angel
  • The Arizona Kid
  • I Don't Remember You
  • Phantoms of the Otherworld (In Spiritu Et Veritate, #2)
  • Swimming in the Monsoon Sea
  • Till Death Do Us Part
  • Rosemary and Juliet
I was born and raised in New York City; my first home was Greenwich Village. I went to a bunch of schools, including two years at a public high school, before finishing up at a ragtag prep school in Connecticut (the setting for my novel The Hour Between).

At 17, I moved to San Francisco, ostensibly to go to San Francisco State College. It was the late sixties and the classroom had a hard time comp