Start by marking “The Leap: How 3 Simple Changes Can Propel Your Career from Good to Great” as Want to Read:
The Leap: How 3 Simple Changes Can Propel Your Career from Good to Great

The Leap: How 3 Simple Changes Can Propel Your Career from Good to Great

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Have you ever asked yourself, "Is this it?"

Maybe you're trapped in a dead-end job that you're afraid to leave. Or maybe you already have a good job-one that gives you room to grow and exercise your talents-but you don't really feel like you're doing your best work. Your life is plain vanilla, yet you know in your heart that you can be a triple scoop banana split. You ju
Published September 17th 2009 by Portfolio (first published July 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Leap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leap

Byron
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
meh... Some of the company background stories were interesting, but the rest was just a bunch of business fluff.
Melissa
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I wasn't blown away by the book. It had some great examples of 'ordinary people doing extraordinary things' but there wasn't any real "aha" moment for me of what to do. The main premise is to come up with big, selfless and simple ideas, which is great and all but not always necessary. The website test to find my color was interesting, but again it didn't give me a whole lot to work with. Pretty much a typical career/self-help type of book that doesn't really provide a whole lot of answers.
Ron
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Too much like a number of other books I've read on the same subject.
Janet
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: work-related
Anecdotes, lessons from brain science and tools to help you find the future that is right for you. Liked that is wasn't simply about "getting ahead" but instead about finding your individual passion.
Paul Cummings
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It can be inspiring but it is not really about "Leaps" more likely slow unexpected rises to the top.
I found it disappointing for that reason.
Richard
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind
Easy to read, straight forward writing style.

Emphasizes that a career change can be incremental, building on your previous experiences, and leveraging your strengths.

Measuring degrees of "leadership", "curiosity", and "execution", Rick Smith helps us find our "primary color". This color can help us in determining that "big", "selfless", and "simple" idea we can throw ourselves into. When we find ourselves in the right idea/color combination work is not work but fun and life-giving.

There are "spa
C.J.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that provides tangible solutions as to how one can find his/her "Primary Color"-- the intersection of one's passion and abilities. The author has also created a free online tool, where readers can discover what their "Primary Color" is.

I would high recommend this book to anyone who's thought, "there must be something better than this" when referring to work and/or life, in general.

I can't wait to discover my "Primary Color" and move toward a complete fulfillment of what I sho
Jeremie Averous
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice, inspiring book about the power of personal transformation. It includes a number of real-life stories about people who transformed their life - at the same time staying realistic about how these transformations happens. It also provides a framework for testing what is it that you love doing and how to find an idea that will transform your life. Nice, and entertaining, just short of the spark that makes a great book.
Lenny
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the better books I've come across when it comes to helping you find your strenghts/passion, and even more importantly actionable steps to make it happen. Highly recommended.
Bryant T
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Art of Being Unmistakable
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Rubies in the Orchard: How to Uncover the Hidden Gems in Your Business
  • The Mindful Manifesto: How Doing Less And Noticing More Can Help Us Thrive In A Stressed Out World
  • When Generations Collide: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work
  • Burn Rate: How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • App Empire: Make Money, Have a Life, and Let Technology Work for You
  • The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction
  • Workarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands in Your Way at Work
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • In Pursuit of the Common Good: Twenty-Five Years of Improving the World, One Bottle of Salad Dressing at a Time
  • Are You Ready to Succeed?: Unconventional Strategies to Achieving Personal Mastery in Business and Life