Start by marking “Zones of Thought: A Fire Upon the Deep / A Deepness in the Sky” as Want to Read:
Zones of Thought: A Fire Upon the Deep / A Deepness in the Sky

Zones of Thought: A Fire Upon the Deep / A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought #1-2)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  564 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Vinge's masterpieces together at last, in one epic volume.

The Hugo Award winning A FIRE UPON THE DEEP and its epic companion novel A DEEPNESS IN THE SKY, set in the same universe but 20,000 years earlier, were benchmarks for SF in the last decade of the 20th century.

In FIRE 'Vinge presents a galaxy divided into Zones - regions where different physical constraints allow ver
Published October 21st 2010 by Gollancz (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Zones of Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zones of Thought

Steve Wasling
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As this monster book contains two often recommended novels by Vernor Vinge, I'm going to review them separately as they are really quite different. I had (half) written a longer review but due to a slip of the back button on my browser I lost it and had to start again!

** A Fire Upon the Deep - 4/5 stars **

I have tried to read this novel some time ago but found it way too hard to get into, not least because of a scene near the beginning (a family being killed in front of their children!) that was
SubterraneanCatalyst
I'm giving this 3 1/2 stars. (is there a way to give half stars? lol)

This is a good book but I didn't walk away feeling amazed or really reveling over everything that happens like I would a truly amazing book.
I can't write a summary without major spoilers so suffice it to say that essentially humans are space traders, the Qeng Ho, or those that stick to a planet mostly. One of the fleets of Qeng Ho heads for a system that hasn't been explored and promises much fortune and contact with the first
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
I love me a good space opera--and this is one both grand and original. This is known as the Zones of Thought series because of the structure of Vinge's imagined galaxy. In it, there are various zones that allow for different levels of tech and intelligence. In the "Mindless Depths" of the Galactic core no intelligent life is possible. The zone of "Great Slowness" that contains the now dead Earth contains intelligent life, yes, but you must go father out into the "Beyond" for faster than light tr ...more
Fraa
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
so I have several questions about a Deepness in the Sky. there's plenty of SPOILERS here so STOP reading now if you have not yet read this book. STOP READING UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW THE END. STOP NOW.

i finished the book today and enjoyed reading it very much.

but i came away confused at the end. i still do not understand how the spiders were able to communicate with the humans and sabotage their plans. what did i miss?

i re-read all the explanations of videomancy: "...the superstition that if you
Jenny
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans
Recommended to Jenny by: John David Quenzer
Shelves: favourites, sci-fi
Two spectacular books. I'm not sure how I've only just discovered Vernor Vinge but he is now on my favourites list. A must-read for any science fiction fan who enjoys sweeping space operas and convincing aliens (the Tines and the Spiders have have to be two of the best written aliens I have come across).

I can see how people may not like how humanised the Spiders are, but for me it meant that (view spoiler)
James Broussard
I was unimpressed with this book. After all the great books that have been nominated for the Hugo and Nebula that described truly alien civilizations it is depressing to read this Hugo winner which has a whole variety of alien cultures that talk think and act just like human beings.

That was the one part I was never able to get past, though now that I've got that out of my system I'd say this book was just okay, but to enter it with muted expectations.
William
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Finally finished! Only took 5 months... Very good read. I think the second book was a bit too long but maybe that's just because I was so busy and unable to read it quickly. Lots of interesting scifi ideas about alien races and FTL travel and coldsleep and others, all amongst rousing stories.
Magnus Itland
I began reading this book, but realized that I no longer have the interest for science fiction that I used to have. It is not a judgment of the book, which seems excellent and to be recommended for those who still enjoy the genre.
Ed Smith
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Read Deepness seperately then thought I might as well buy both together - a little disappointed with Fire, just seemed a little too superficial compared to Deepness without the darkness that makes sci-fi so good!
Sonia
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
how many ways can you tell a story? Apparently more then 4, 5? This book tells a longwinded story from several points of view. I think it would have been better with less talk and more action. But that's usually my opinion about most things.
Eric Taillefer
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I would not qualify theses books as masterpiece. The story is okay but simple. Sometimes it's long and it doesn't propel me as would a "real" science fiction book would, like Dune or Fondation. I'm happy to have read it nonetheless
Kevin Hull
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Grandiose, far future sci fi at its best.
Cailan
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
"a fire upon the deep" was pretty good, but I thought "a deepness in the sky" was excellent.
Emily
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good! Loved the universe the author created. The story had me hooked and I couldn't put it down.
Kevin
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
reading this book I get the name "Pham Nuwen" stuck in my head.
Indigo
Sep 18, 2013
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8
  • Shades (Roswell #1)
  • Polystom: Two Universes in One Reality
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • Restoration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)
  • The Endymion Omnibus (Hyperion Cantos, #3-4)
  • Fountain of Age: Stories
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 2
  • Peace and War (The Forever War Omnibus, #1-3)
  • Last and First Men/Star Maker
  • Ender's Game Ultimate Collection
  • Age of Godpunk: Collecting Age of Anansi, Age of Satan and Age of Gaia
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #6)
  • Empire of Bones
Vernor Steffen Vinge is a retired San Diego State University Professor of Mathematics, computer scientist, and science fiction author. He is best known for his Hugo Award-winning novels A Fire Upon The Deep (1992), A Deepness in the Sky (1999) and Rainbows End (2006), his Hugo Award-winning novellas Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004), as well as for his 1993 e ...more
More about Vernor Vinge

Zones of Thought (3 books)
  • A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1)
  • A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2)
  • The Children of the Sky  (Zones of Thought, #3)