Start by marking “A Survey of the Old Testament” as Want to Read:
A Survey of the Old Testament

A Survey of the Old Testament

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  351 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The purpose of studying the Old Testament is to understand God and his redemptive work more fully. However, this goal is complicated by the fact that it was transmitted through a very different language and culture from our own. A Survey of the Old Testament provides an indispensable guide for undergraduate students and other readers by exploring the literary, historical, ...more
Hardcover, 3rd, 799 pages
Published February 5th 2009 by Zondervan (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Survey of the Old Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Survey of the Old Testament

Nicole
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a great resource book. Detailed in the history of the Old Testament and their surrounding territories. I think it is a must if you are a seminary student. It will bring so much into light in understanding a people, a culture, and the ones around them.
Dave Weiss
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a Master's level class and it was really great. I feel like I learned a lot. The book is clearly written, comprehensible and informative. I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to gain a better understanding of the old Testament and God's Word in general.
Tyson Guthrie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
I've been teaching from the Pentateuch, Historical Books, and Epilogue portions of this book for two years now and finally got around to reading the middle. A Survey of the Old Testament is an excellent resource. The authors don't shy away from historical and archaeological problems, but always offer a thoroughly orthodox Christian solution.
Bret James Stewart
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book provides a nice introduction to the books of the Old Testament in an accessible way. To begin with, the cover art is attractive. In fact, the book abounds with colour pictures and charts that really help the beginner or even the mid-level student/reader to understand the historical and cultural elements of the O.T. The pictures at the beginning of the chapters, in particular, really bring the book in question to life with a photo of something pertinent to that book.

This is a survey tex
Tung
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found Carson & Moo’s Introduction to the New Testament a thorough and extensive informational text about the New Testament, and I was hoping for a similar experience in Hill & Walton’s survey text on the Old Testament. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I should have lowered my expectations given this was published by Zondervan. Zondervan is to Bible summaries what USA Today is to journalism – that’s a backhanded compliment, not a compliment. A la USA Today, Hill & Walton’s book ...more
Shannon
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Basically offers simple summaries and information on the writing of, background, purpose and message and major themes of each book in the Protestant Bible (no more then 6 or so paragraphs each). Great for those outside the ministry to learn a bit more about everything in the OT. While the supplementary chapters are very interesting (covering topics such as the formation of the scriptures and introduction to prophetic literature) this book is not an in-depth study whatsoever. Of course trying to ...more
L. R. Bouligny Bouligny
The title says it all. It is a fine survey of all the books of the Old Testament, with additional subjects discussed, such as what place archaeology has in biblical studies, geography of Israel, and how the OT affects the NT. Good book--I will keep it as a reference. A newer edition just came out (03/09) with updates and color pictures. If you are going to get this, buy that one.
Matthew
A little dry in some places, but overall, a very good summary of the Old Testament books. The authors do a good job of summarizing the text and the key themes without simply walking through each book.
Father Michael Porter
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great, easy to read book going over every section of the Old Testament in detail, but not so much detail you get bogged down. Had some cool sections on archeology and covers civilizations other than the Jews around the same timeframe.
Alyssa
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible for undergraduates, but also thorough and does not skip over the hard spots like many intros do. Hill and Walton each cover the books where their scholarly strengths lie. Also, as a teacher the discussion questions at the end of each chapter were invaluable to get my students talking.
Hardin
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best book on the Old Testament I've ever come across. Detailed and precise. Amazingly thorough and exhaustive for the size of it. There are better books on individual OT texts, but none I know of in regards to tackling the entire OT in one volume. I highly recommend it.
Nathaniel
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic study supplement. Anytime I start to read an Old Testament book I will make sure to read the appropriate chapters in Hill/Walton. It does great work with historical, archeological, and geographical material helping to give a broader sense of of what is going on.
Timothy Olson
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The intro alone is worth a ton of money - as the authors lay out how to approach the Bible and especially the Old Testament. The authors are intellectually honest evangelicals. I can't always agree with them, but I love their approach and their honesty.
Matt
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great overview of each of the Old Testament books. This book is perfect for Old Testament beginners like me.
Peter
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone who has read the OT before but wants to go deeper. It is not designed to be a reading guide but could be used as such. I have read it twice and use it at a resource.
S Dean
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorough, accurate and informative but unfortunately dry.
Trevor Binkley
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
great OT survey
Bob Wolniak
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
One of my reference books for OT survey class
Christopher Pokorny
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-testament
Still use as a reference for sermons.
Nathan Parker
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good solid overview of the Old Testament. It is detailed and thorough yet digestible and understandable. Those wishing to survey the Old Testament will find good use in this resource.
Jadezaa Jacobs
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a great book to study every book in the OT... it's details regarding the background of each book... love to reread it many times!
Poimen
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can I read this book?
John Weathersby
Balanced view delivered on different issues. Very careful to take a stance on anything such as authorship. Look to Johnny Mac for a serious stand! :)
Joshua Duffy
very succinct. unless you've done a bunch of study on the Old Testament then you will find this short survey quite helpful and enlightening.
Kev Chambers
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone one should own an introduction or overview for both old & new testaments
Peter
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good survey type book for the Old Testament. Good inclusion of other ancient Near Eastern cultures so give a more comprehensive treatment.
Amanda Miller
Oct 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Survey of the New Testament
  • The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Encountering the Old Testament: A Christian Survey (Encountering Biblical Studies)
  • Interpreting the Pauline Epistles
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • Joshua: No Falling Words
  • An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • The Gospel According to John
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • An Introduction to the Old Testament