Start by marking “Babymouse Burns Rubber (Babymouse, #12)” as Want to Read:
Babymouse Burns Rubber (Babymouse, #12)

Babymouse Burns Rubber

(Babymouse #12)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,249 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Babymouse's big dreams of becoming a race car driver come true when she and her best pal, Wilson, enter the Race of the Century (or at least the school year). But will she and Wilson crash and burn? Or will they cruise to the Winners’ Circle? Find out in Babymouse #12: Burns Rubber. Breaking records this spring!
Published January 12th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published December 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Babymouse Burns Rubber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babymouse Burns Rubber

Wendi Lee
Aww. A good message about friendship in this installment of Babymouse. And yeah, these books are pretty addictive.
lori!
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So, I heart Babymouse. This is known. But I have to say I was particularly pleased with this latest installment, mainly because I have always been a huge Wilson fan. Bestest of friend, true through thick and thin, always there to pick up the pieces. (He actually reminds me a lot of my best friend in High School, Kyle.) And I'm so glad that the Holms decided to address the rarely covered topic of friends who ask just a bit too much of their very giving friends. It was so brilliant to see Wilson s ...more
Lady Knight
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yet another amusing installment of our favourite pink-focused graphic novel series! As always Babymouse eventually learns her lesson, and I thoroughly enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek references that I still think are more there to amuse the adults then anything else (yes, I did enjoy the star wars one... and yes I know it was silly (isn't that the point with these?)). Will be sure to please fans of the series and anyone who enjoys a pink icing cupcake now and then!
Kelly
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Again, a funny one but sweet, too. Babymouse is really getting mad at the narrator which is funny. The Star Wars part was good and I like how even the scrolling part was just like Star Wars. It also said how it's not as good without the music, but I was making my own music! Sticks to the subject of the title - racing. The alien's shirt "I took over your planet and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" cracked me up. It also relates to the previous book (fractions).
Christiana
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this was a particularly good installment of Babymouse. Lots of Wilson and a good lesson about being a good friend without being preachy. I don't think there could be a bigger Babymouse advocate out there.
MERLITA BALAGTAS
Funny!

I <3 Babymouse!!!!!!! Why well she's very funny and the narrator just so funny! love love love love love love Babymouse
Kellee
LOVED the ending of this one- made me so happy! (And it has an awesome Star Wars scene!)
Jana
Babymouse books have always been very popular with my students. I'm sure this one will be well-loved, also. Babymouse's friend, Wilson, is building a car to race in the soap box derby. Babymouse talks him into building a car for her, too, so she can win the race. This is a fun graphic novel, and I'm sure the race car storyline will make it a book that will be hard to keep on the shelf!
Pamela Hatch
Babymouse: Burns Rubber (Babymouse #12) / written by Jennifer L. Holm; illustrated by Matthew Holm -- New York : Random House, c2010. (96 pages)

SUMMARY: Babymouse dreams of being a race car driver comes true when she and her best friend Wilson enter a soap box derby. (verso)

REVIEW: Another great title in the Babymouse graphic novel series. Babymouse is a little selfish as she dreams of being a celebrity and uses her friend Wilson to build her a fast car (instead of doing it herself, like the rul
Syed Zeerak
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply fantastic
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is a Cybils '10 nominee and as a panelist for Graphic Novels this is required reading for me.

#12. Babymouse Burns Rubber. 96 pgs. Jan. 12, 2010 - Babymouse's friend can fix anything and she has always brought her broken stuff to him and he fixes it for her. While there she finds him working on his dream project, a soap box race car. This is the first year he has been old enough to enter and he encourages BM to enter too. Of course, she ends up bringing her problems to him and he ends u
Dolly
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is the twelfth book in the Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. The plot centers on Babymouse's experiences prepering for a soap box derby.

As usual, things don't work out very smoothly for Babymouse, and she takes advantage of her best friend along the way. Nonetheless, it's an entertaining story. I loved the literary and film references, even the snide ones.

Our youngest really likes these books. They are quick reads and she read this book in less than an hour. We've bee
Sarah Sammis
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Babymouse Burns Rubber by Jennifer and Matthew Holm is the twelfth book in the series and the second book I've read. In this one Babymouse joins the soapbox derby but does so by taking advantage of her best friend Wilson.

I don't expect a protagonist to win the big contest or race but I would like to see some effort put into winning. Babymouse though seems to want all the glory of winning with none of the work. She completely monopolizes Wilson's time and doesn't seem to care that she's taking ad
Anosha
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a good book i was just reading it for fun this is a summary about this book...

Baby mouse went to school and she saw are her friend she had to tell him something she had an accident with her bike again. When Baby mouse came to his house her friend was making a car she asked him why? Than he said there is a contest for racing and they have a big rule that you have to make your car so asked him (her friend) to make her car so he said yes! When it was the day to race Baby mouse got a flat t
Becky B
Wilson is entering the soap box derby and Babymouse decides she wants to enter too. However, Wilson seems to be spending so much time helping Babymouse with her car, he never has time to work on his own.

I'm so glad Babymouse realized the right thing to do when it came to the race (view spoiler). A good lesson on friendship. And the aliens from the locker destroyed by fractions was hilarious.

Note
Bridget
Baby Mouse is a comic designed for girls. Drawn in pink, it attracts young girls in the way that they can relate to Babymouse because she is smart and feisty. In the twelfth book of Babymouse, she dreams of winning the soapbox race of the year. Many will say that girls are unable to do it, but Babymouse attempts to construct her soapbox car on her own. Unfortunately, she needs the help of her friend. As the story unfolds, the plot twists and Wilson needs Babymouse’s help instead. Rising as the h ...more
Allison
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Holm, Jennifer L. & Matthew Holm Babymouse Burns Rubber pgs. 96 Random House Books for Young Readers Language~G, Sexual Content~G; Violence~G

Readers start your engines! In the newest volume of the Babymouse Saga, brakes will squeal. . .rubber will burn. . .as Babymouse attempts the Soap Box Derby! When Babymouse catches a glimpse at Wilson’s derby car she is bound to enter and win! She must build her own car, find sponsors, and learn to drive. . . I’m not sure which one will be the hardest.
Lucy
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Babymouse's best friend Wilson is finally old enough to join the race car race. Wilson tells Babymouse and she decides to join too. But she has trouble with her race car, so she asked Wilson to built it for her. Wilson has been soo busy helping Babymouse that he couldn't finish his race car. What will Wilson do on the day of the race?
I picked his book up because I love reading Babymouse and I never read this one before.
I finished this book because it was short and easy to finish in a few minutes
L12_LaurieLaning
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Babymouse is a very clever, tenacious little mouse. This is twelfth in the series. It depcts a very strong female character. Throughout the story she uses her charm to get her friend Wilbur to build her a boxcar even though he built his own and was entered in the same race. In the end she helps Wilbur and she herself wins the race. It is a light, quick read.
Jessica
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Babymouse dreams of being a race car driver, then discovers that her best friend is prepping for the annual soap box derby . . . She wants to enter, too, but you have to make your own car . . .

I love these books. Babymouse is both selfish and good-hearted, and her constant daydreaming reminds me of, well, me. Also my 8 year old, who also loves these books!
Reader
I mean it's fine as far as it goes. Technically Jennifer Holm and Matthew can't create a bad Babymouse. This one only suffers when you consider that there are others in the series that I like more. The ending's a little more predictable than usual, is all. That's really my only objection, though. - B
Melissa Elgersma
Babymouse enters the soapbox derby. A soapbox derby is when a kid builds their own car- usually with out a motor, maybe pedals or the racetrack is downhill. In this book, Babymouse gets her friend Wilson to help her build the Cupcake Cannon and enters the big race. Hilarious- watch for the Star Wars scene!
Melissa Espino
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is about a mice name babymice that has a wild imagination and do crazy stuff. In this book she starts out by crying and going crazy. She starts getting into her crazy mind thinking about the racing cars. This book is not recommended because its easy to read and not challenging to you at all. It will be a good book for a kindergarten or while you are teaching them how to read.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sometimes Babymouse really irritates me in how she takes advantage of Wilson. He's too good a friend to her, and lets himself get taken advantage of sometimes. I was glad at the ending but was wondering just how ethical it actually was....
Beth
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Babymouse is back - and participating in a go-cart type race. When her friend Wilson helps her get ready for the race and then suffers a set-back, Babymouse has a decision to make. Another fun, quick read.
Angie
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first I was mad at this one because Babymouse seemed like such a self-involved brat through most of it. Wilson. What WOULD she do without Wilson?

But then there was an awesome Star Wars scene. And some redemption in the end. Hey! Just like in Star Wars.
Kayla
Jun 14, 2011 added it
I think this was a very good book.....There was a race and her friend Wilson was in it too. She didn't know how to make a car and Wilson was too busy making hers that he didn't have time to fix his. But at the end.....wait I can't tell you! You'll have to read it and find out yourself! Ha Ha Ha!
Jenn
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The story of what really matters
Glynn
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rdnnnnnnn, rdnnnnnnnn, Baybymouse!
Rachel
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Children's Choice Book Awards Finalist: Third Grade to Fourth Grade Book of the Year
  • Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • And Then There Were Gnomes: Book 2
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra

Babymouse (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
  • Beach Babe (Babymouse, #3)
  • Rock Star (Babymouse, #4)
  • Heartbreaker (Babymouse, #5)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • Skater Girl (Babymouse, #7)
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Babymouse #10: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)