Start by marking “Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Linger

(The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  144,803 ratings  ·  9,337 reviews
the longing.

Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

the loss.

Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a
Published July 13th 2010 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Linger, please sign up.
Steff Millington This site is a way for people to keep track of the books they have read. When you click read it means you have read them in the past tense. If you…moreThis site is a way for people to keep track of the books they have read. When you click read it means you have read them in the past tense. If you want to read it again you will have to download it or buy it or borrow it from the library. It's not a site where you can read the books online in the present tense, oh how the English language likes to confuse. Hope this helps :)(less)

·  144,803 ratings  ·  9,337 reviews

Start your review of Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)
Miranda Reads
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-series, audiobook
description

What's better than a book about two lovebirds being in love? HOW could you POSSIBLY keep your audience INVESTED after the characters get together in Chapter 1 of book 1????

Pining.

Lots. Of. Pining.

I never knew there were so many different ways to say goodbye.
*deep breath in*
One thousand ways to say good-bye
One thousands ways to cry
One thousand ways to hang
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”This is a love story. I never knew there were so many kinds of love or that love could make people do so many different things.”

I’m an honest and blunt person and I suppose that this always reflects in my reviews as well. So when I wrote my review about “Shiver” it was rather short and only contained a few interesting quotes. Now that I wanted to start to write my review about “Linger” I realized that this one isn’t going to be a short one though and that this book actually deserves to get one
jessica
if theres one thing i wish i could avoid in life, it would be writing reviews for three star ratings. its so difficult to make ‘its not amazing, but its not bad either’ sound interesting or hold any weight.

the reason this book falls in the middle for me is because it essentially feels like a filler book in the series. there isnt much plot that propels the storyline in this - its basically laying groundwork for the next installment. so its a slow build, which is a dream for those who really love
Morgan F
It's about time I write this review.

I wasn't blown away by Shiver, but that doesn't mean I wasn't eagerly waiting for Linger. I seem to be in the minority here, but I liked Linger more than I did Shiver.

I still don't understand Sam though. I've decided not call him gay anymore, because he makes it abundantly clear that he loves Grace. So instead, I will just call him feminine. I mean this boy
1. bakes bread
6. is sensitive
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own

I don’t like loonnnnnnggggg drawn out reviews and I’m in a mood! I liked the book still. The end!

Mel

Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
“She made her home in between the pages of books.”

Don't need to say much about this one. It's a worthy follow-up to Shiver and a perfect prequel to Forever. I loved this series. It's perfect for a wintery night or two and a hot cup of tea.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Janina
Hm. When this book arrived, I wasn't so sure if I should read it right away or if it would be better to wait for the final book of the trilogy, Forever, to be available. In the end, I was simply too curious ;).
But a small warning: This book ends on a major cliffhanger.

Altogether, the book wasn't bad - rather slow, though - but it was one of those sequels that wouldn't really have been necessary in my opinion.
While I wasn't totally ecstatic about Shiver, I definitely would have remembered it as
Jasmin
Maggie Stiefvater has a divine way with words. She describes things in vivid detail that had the ability to enchant anyone. She concocts beautiful colloquies that leaves the reader in raptures.

I am a reader.

So why the hell am I giving the book Linger, which was written by an exceptionally talented Maggie Stiefvater, two stars if I'm all praises at her writing?

What the hell went wrong?

Well, I honestly don't know either, but despite the writing being lyrical as most goodread users put it, the book
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

You know that feeling when you’re floating on water? All your senses are dampened, you are weightless, careless and completely relaxed. There aren’t any loud sounds, you are safe, perfectly happy and everything else seems a mile away... That’s EXACTLY how Maggie Stiefvater’s writing makes me feel. I want to hug this book and never ever let it out of my sight.

Grace and Sam are finally together, but they live in fear. They are constantly afraid that things will go back to the way they
Victoria ♡
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5

Oh my God...I have no words this was amazing! The ending had me freaking out it was so tense, ahhh I'm so scared for book 3.

The story was so good, usually 2nd books in series are all boring, but I kept reading and reading waiting to see what happened. The plot builds so well and I absolutely loved Cole! His character is amazing and I loved his POV chapters.

Honestly these books the different POVs work so well, like you can really tell who you're reading from and they all work
kazually ♡
i have no idea why there’s a book after Shiver with an ending like that but here we are. we even have a whole series. isn’t that delightful? this series is being dragged so much. Shiver felt like it was being dragged and Linger did too. so many different things were repeated so often throughout this book it just felt overally really boring.

if i got paid a dollar the amount of times Sam said that he couldn’t believe he was cold but still ‘Sam’, or made a reference to that in this book i would be
Penny
Actual Rating 1.5 stars.

I did not like it, I wasn't interested in the story line or the characters at all. I SHOULDN'T HAVE READ IT. There is no trace here of what made me love Shiver so much. I regret reading this book immensely, to me the story was closed in the first book and there was no need for a continuation.

Originally, when I first finished reading Shiver I had no intention of reading Linger (or any other book of the series for that matter), I was flawlessly happy and content with how
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.
I can't even describe how I feel right now..
I love this book so much :(
Linda
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2010
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist

While reading Linger, I kept thinking, "Wow, I really like this. This is awesome. But I still like Shiver better..." And I kept that sentiment up until the last few chapters. Then it ended. And now, I have to say that I like both books EQUALLY. I agree, Linger's ending isn't entirely out of the blue, and I actually had my suspicions that the story *would* end "that way," but my reading experience was still enjoyable and engrossing.

I do think it's fair to say that the tones of Linger and Shiver
Thomas
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There are certain books that inspire me so tremendously, so irrevocably, that I know these books fuel the flames of my passion for reading and writing. Shiver, and now Linger, have joined these ranks.

Linger is the sequel to Shiver, and continues the bittersweet story of Sam and Grace, two lovers who fight for the right to be together. Sam stays sorrowful in the absence of Grace and desperately tries to avoid his past. Grace grows weak and frightful, while her hopes of a future with Sam dissipate
Dannii Elle
For a book supposedly about wolves, this book has surprisingly little actual wolf content and, instead, has been dominated by some love-struck teenagers and their boring, angsty romance. 400 pages of teens lamenting their inability to sleep next to each other, is a bit too much for me... And the total lack of any other plot sealed this book's fate!

If not for Stiefvater's evocative depictions of the wooded setting this book would have had zero positive features. I am sold on her ability as a
Brittany
4 Stars!!!

“Once upon a time, there was a girl named Grace Brisbane. There was nothing particularly special about her, except that she was good with numbers, and very good at lying, and she made her home in between the pages of books. She loved all the wolves behind her house, but she love one of them most of all.”

Linger is a true example that the second book in a series can be better than the first. I found it to be rich and just as poetic- if not more than Shiver. The writing was still
Exina
"If you don’t have memories, it’s like you never existed."

Linger is book 2 of the The Wolves of Mercy Falls series, a sequel to Shiver.

The Prologue says almost everything about the story, so the ending is not very surprising. Despite its predictability, the story has still many beautiful and heartbreaking moments. Linger is melancholy, sometimes maddening and frustrating with Grace’s mysterious illness, Sam’s misgivings and disorientation, Cole’s emptiness and suicidal thoughts, Isabel’s sad
Lora
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In the second installment to the Wolves of Mercy Falls series: Sam is having trouble believing in his cure, Grace is acting strangely and feeling like she doesn't fit into her own skin anymore, and a new wolf is in Mercy Falls: Cole, the once lead singer of a popular rock band, NARKOTIKA, is dealing with the issues of straddling the line between man and wolf. But honestly? He'd rather stay a wolf than deal with the problems that come with being human.
Meanwhile, Isabel, the girl who had to deal
Mary
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Didn't like it as much as Shiver, but it was still amazing <3
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
Isabel and Cole are by far much more interesting than Sam and Grace.
Nomes
Linger gets off to a slow start - which I didn’t mind b/c the prose is engaging and I liked the characters from last time - so it was nice to settle into the groove.

Problem is - the slow start lingers until halfway through the book.

200 pages of Not A Lot Happening.

At which point I check the blurb to try and figure out what the book is about anyways - because half way in and I had no idea.

sooo... after finishing it i’m still not sure what it is about? what were the stakes? what did the protags
Miss Kim
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This one barley made 4 stars for me...

Sadness. Despair. Hopelessness. Depression. Impending doom. This is the tone of the second book in Ms. Stievfater’s Mercy Falls series. I absolutely loved Shiver, but the tone of Linger just brought me down. I should have been able to read this in one or two days, but it took a week because I kept putting it down.

Sam and Grace are still the main focus in this story. Sam is no longer a wolf, and things should be great right? Wrong. Sam is conflicted about
Mari
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Joyzi
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind plotless novels
Recommended to Joyzi by: Maggie Stiefvater
I can say that Maggie still showed her talent of writing beautifully in this novel, the way she wrote it was really really good that it made the book tolerable despite its flaws. The book for me was okay it could be amazing but my problem with the book was it's completely plotless, plotless, plotless, and it was also extremely slow in pace.

I think the last part of the book was the only one that makes sense that I thought finally that...okay, somehow it has a plot and probably I would still be
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
What can I say? Except I loved Shiver and truth be told, I always fret a little bit about sequels. I mean, can an author capture that feeling of my first infatuation with a book? That delicious little feeling of "Wow, I have to keep reading this?"

Well, I have to say that Maggie Stiefvater did. She did it all over again and I sit back amazed at her storytelling skills.

This time around it's not just about Sam and Grace. There's more...in fact there are four POVs represented in the book. And while
Riv
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at: rivreads.blogspot.com

I was a little tentative to start Linger because of the multiple points of view. As you know, instead of Shiver's two characters-Grace and Sam-we have four; the original two along with Isabel and Cole.

I felt like the plot buildup was a little slow. It started out awesome; I had high expectations. Then something happened that made me really excited, but then it died down again very quickly. The main problem was something wrong with Grace, and I felt like
Kay M. Fraser
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unreleased
How do you start the review of one of the best books you have ever read?
Do justice to it? I'll do my best.

Linger is the story of Sam, Grace, Isabel with the introduction of a new character to the mix Cole.

I don't believe in spoilers. I believe in telling people the reasons why this book is such a need for readers of the genre. Here it goes. Words describing what to expect.

Grace: Changing, Unpredictable, Strong, stoic, beautiful as ever, In pain, loving, considerate, and for the first time
Arlene
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

Let me start off by saying that I did enjoy the book Linger … for the most part that is. Grace and Sam are definitely a likeable set of characters and the overall plot has a strong dose of intrigue to it. However, I found it a bit too slow paced for the first 300 pages or so as our main character suffered through headaches, fevers, bloody noses and fatigue waiting for the inevitable to occur.

The multiple POVs had me skeptical at first, and I think Stiefvater could
YA Buddy Readers'...: Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2) by Maggie Stiefvater - Restarting September 10th 2019 135 276 Sep 18, 2019 11:30AM
Addicted to YA: Linger 1 35 Sep 01, 2017 08:15PM
Future Teachers, ...: Cassie's review #3 1 5 Oct 01, 2016 12:11AM
Audiobooks 3 11 Feb 08, 2016 11:00PM
Isabel & Cole 2 28 Jan 09, 2016 08:06PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Linger By Maggie Stiefvater 1 13 Aug 03, 2015 09:05PM

• Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • Passion (Fallen, #3)
  • Finale (Hush, Hush, #4)
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
  • Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
  • The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)
  • Silence (Hush, Hush, #3)
  • Torment (Fallen, #2)
  • Fallen (Fallen, #1)
  • Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2; Nightshade World #5)
  • Entice (Need, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Night Star (The Immortals, #5)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been formed by a desire to leave a mark, resulting in spray-painted cars, sharpie-covered computer printers, ink-splattered walls, and stories told in books, in magazines, and on stages. Maggie Stiefvater

The Wolves of Mercy Falls (4 books)
  • Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
  • Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3)
  • Sinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #4)
“...she made her home in between the pages of books.” 1166 likes
“This is a love story. I never knew there were so many kinds of love or that love could make people do so many different things.

I never knew there were so many different ways to say goodbye.”
955 likes