Start by marking “Four Classic American Novels: The Scarlet Letter, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Red Badge Of Courage, Billy Budd” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Shining examples of American literature at its best, these four novels explore timeless themes—adventure, war, sex, and morality—through compelling narratives. An adulteress, a runaway boy, a terrified soldier, and a maltreated sailor—the heroes of these novels have become a part of popular culture. This indispensable volume includes…

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthor
Published June 5th 2007 by Signet (first published April 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Four Classic American Novels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Classic American Novels

Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1192910.html[return][return]I guess I was just not in the mood for this. I found the archaic language tedious, the moral dilemmas artificial and not very interesting, and the portrayal of Puritan society unrealistic; I also was repelled by the author's lengthy autobiographical digression about working in the custom-house at the start. Well, one more nineteenth-century classic that I will never have to pick up again...
Gretchen
This was the text for American Lit. my jr. year in high school. I had to Cliff notes MOBY DICK which I finally read years later. The BRIDGE of SAN LUIS REY was really a long -short story but very much a book that made me look at myself then and when I read it again in 1985. Everyone should read at least four great American novels so I am thankful for this teacher who had us read at leat 10 American novels over the year.
Melissa
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I have only read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and I liked it. The large amount of racism in the book is hard to swallow and I am sure I would have enjoyed it more if I was a kid but other than that it is a nice adventure story. I will say the language is a bit tough to get through since the author writes the word the way the characters would have pronounced them.
Jakc
wildly abridged (moby dick); bridge of san luis rey by wilder surprises because it is so rarely read. courage is a good book, that oddly distancing naturalism that would affect 20th century writing. scarlet letter, not a favorite of mine but the target of sorts for writers like melville
Jack
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
only read Scarlet letter and Huck Finn
Shae
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read some of the classics I was forced to read as a teenage to see if I liked them any better. I was pleasantly suprised to find out that I do- I can relate better than I did then.
Caitlyn
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1992)
Amber
Aug 15, 2010 added it
Still trudging through the classics.
Crystal