Start by marking “Judgement In Managerial Decision Making” as Want to Read:
Judgement In Managerial Decision Making

Judgement In Managerial Decision Making

This book joins behavioral decision theory with organizational behavior research in order to develop our understanding of judgement in organizational contexts. It discusses creativity and judgement, improving decision making, judgement in two-party negotiations, judgement in multi-party organizational contexts and more. Also included is background material on behavioral de ...more
Published by John Wiley & Sons Inc (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Judgement In Managerial Decision Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgement In Managerial Decision Making

Start your review of Judgement In Managerial Decision Making
Mehrdad Zaa
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
یکی از بهترین کتابهایی که خوانده ام و شاید بهترین کتاب در حوزه ی تصمیمگیری و خطاهای شناختی. این کتاب توسط ماکس بیزرمن استاد دانشگاه هاروارد و همکارش دون.ای.مور نوشته شده است و از نظر محتوا بسیار غنی، نظام مند و متکی به پژوهش های معتبر علمی است. کتاب نه تنها برای مدیران که برای هر فردی که قصد دارد اشتباه ها و خطاهای رایج ذهنی را بهتر بشناسد و کیفیت تصمیمها و تحلیلهای خود در عرصه های مختلف زندگی را بهبود دهد، کاربردی و مفید است.
در بخشهای مختلف کتاب خطاهای رایج و اغلب ناخودآگاه ذهن انسان در هنگام ت
Gabriel Pinkus
The most practical guide to managerial decisions that I've ever read. Charlie Munger highly approves of this book for good reasons. Best discussion on business ethics I have ever read - light-years ahead of most of what I've encountered.
Steven P.
I assume this is the latest edition of the book that I read for a class in the early '90s, which I recall as a slim paperback volume. It covered cognitive biases clearly, with simple, compelling examples. Important stuff that I hadn't been exposed to previously.
Don
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As far as graduate text books go, this one was pretty good. It was extremely dense, but the content was interesting and kept me going. I would recommend this book for anyone, not just MBA students and not just business people, but everyone because we all make important decisions in life. Very useful to learn about our common biases and blind spots.
Monique
Okay so another Graduate required reading book down and this one dealing with Management and how and why we make decisions. The preface of this book pretty much sums up what you are about to read as they mention the complexities and heuristics involved in pretty much any decision. One of the most intriguing chapters had to do with Biases and what causes people to make decisions such as the Availability heuristic which makes people more likely to make a decision based on the frequency, probabilit ...more
Alex
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm biased about bias research so it's not surprising I didn't like the book. This outlook on the province of decision-making the authors and their school of though does not contribute to the real life challenges.

All those artificial problems that researchers make the students solve don't not shed light on the real decision-making which goes on (and must I say quite contrary to this bias-lensed worldview goes on quite successfully) in the world.

If you want to understand which biases are out ther
John Elliott
I read the book for a master's program. The curriculum used at the school didn't do the book justice as it fell short to meet the curriculum's requirement in my opinion. Only a few chapters out of the book were used. There is a lot of good information about management decision making but be aware it goes deep into the scientific side of decision making. The use of gaming theory, biases, blinding and framing. For the class I got very little out of it. For a general management or skim over decisio ...more
Ben Lever
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mba
As textbooks go, this one's pretty good. Well written, and with lots of rigorous research backing everything up (which is often lacking in business textbooks).

If you're really keen on this stuff I'd still probably recommend Thinking Fast and Slow, but if you are a lecturer looking to set a text you can't go wrong with this.
Melissa
I had to read this book for school and I really liked it. it is quite interesting and the topics are mind blowing.. i was surprised at how all the biases apply to me. I felt like a lab rat. Do we all (humans) really behave the same way??
Henrique Neffa
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good book required in my Harvard's class on decision-making. However, the book only present you the errors of human. Thus, It requires a lot of effort to really improve your decision-making.
John Tyson
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to think** of a book that more succinctly and directly gets its points across. I will keep this on my shelf to consult for many years to come. The book’s discussion of biases, bounded awareness, influences on decision-making, negotiations, among many other topics, is unmatched.

**availability heuristic / recency bias, anyone? :)
Turgut
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Define the problem, identify the criteria, weight the criteria, generate alternatives, rate each alternative on each criterion, compute the optimal decision.

Work on the right problem, specify your objectives, create imaginative alternatives, understand the consequences, grapple with your tradeoffs, clarify your uncertainties, think hard about your risk tolerance, consider linked decisions.
Ashwaq
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
كله العاب ومسائل
Sylv C
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent follow up to Poor Charlie's Almanack.
Fayes
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent and must to read book for decision-makers
Denis Vasilev
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Хорошая академичная книга про принятие решений и переговоры. В основном обсуждение разных biases.
E
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful guide on how to make sound, smart decisions

Consider this scenario: Two groups are playing basketball. One group wears black, the other white. Researchers film each group separately passing a basketball back and forth, and superimpose the two films on a television monitor. They ask research participants to add up the number of passes the players make. Because the separate images of basketballs flying here and there overlap, the counters must pay close attention. Under such circumstances,
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book taught me a lot about bias and judgement errors. It was both fascinating and depressing to learn that every human thought is governed by bias, even as we try to exercise rationality and logic. If you are interested in heuristics and how they help and hurt managerial decisions and business negotiations you might enjoy this book.
Takuro Ishikawa
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
In this piece, Max Bazerman summarizes a wide range empirical research on the failure of intuitive decision making: biases in intuitive judgment of evidence, inconsistencies in decision making under uncertainty, and motivational and interpersonal biases. He also provides four strategies to overcome or, more precisely, work around these human limitations.
Arsalan Khan
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good for anyone trying to understand the biases that we all carry.
Jari Pirhonen
Excellent. Also a bit scary. Whose judgement can I trust - certainly not my own. I'm too biased and unable to control my inner self. It seems that most humans are no better.
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jennifer by: Penn State Course
Shelves: x-psu, mine, y, x-career
Every chapter was useful in every day business. A book (and personal notes) to keep handy. Highly recommend for Business Decision Makers.
Larry
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best book I have ever read on decision making. Should be required reading in high school.
Vikrant Varma
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
​​A dry textbook; functions well as a catalogue of the most common cognitive biases, backed by reams of evidence.
Hank
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading for my masters, good book and easy to understand.
Lorie
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
required reading for my decision making class in grad school. same old, same old. boring.
DanDan
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, very thought provoking, realy makes you think about what is actualy influencing the decisions that we make make each day.
Mahdi Meskin
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: some-parts-read
تا نخوني نداني

• The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
  • The Golden Age (Golden Age #1)
  • The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • Why: A Guide to Finding and Using Causes
  • Linear Algebra Done Right
  • Zendegi
Max H. Bazerman is the Jesse Isidor Straus Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School and the Co-Director of the Center for Public Leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School. Max's research focuses on decision making, negotiation, and ethics. He is the author, co-author, or co-editor of twenty books and over 200 research articles and chapters. His latest book, The Power of N ...more