Start by marking “The Blonde Theory” as Want to Read:
The Blonde Theory

The Blonde Theory

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  786 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Harper Roberts is a corporate attorney in Manhattan. She’s smart, attractive, and funny. So why can’t she find a date? Men flock to her at parties when they think she’s a dumb blonde. But, as soon as they realise she’s a Harvard-educated lawyer, they flee.

Harper’s best friend is a magazine editor who suggests Harper go on assignment for a month as a 'dumb blonde' and see i
Kindle Edition
Published (first published February 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Blonde Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blonde Theory

Kala
Oct 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review also posted on my blog at:
Kala's Book Blog

Picked this one up from the library because I've read a few others by this author and thought they were decent.

What a mistake!

I despised this book!

The female lead (Harper) is a rich and powerful 35-year-old attorney. The book starts off with her boyfriend dumping her because she made partner at her law firm and he expected her to quit her job and pop out babies. Not sure how something like that could stay hidden for a year in a relationship
Erin
Jan 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was painful. First, because the main character kept doing really stupid things just like in a bad movie where you just keep groaning and eventually turn it off or walk out of teh theater...secondly, because she was oblivious the entire time to what a snobby bitch she really was. Chick Lit at its worst.
Lori
Jul 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utter crap. The main character is supposed to be smart but is continuously self-sabotaging and bizarrely (and uncharacteristicly from what the author tells you) rudely sarcastic with every guy that dares say something pleasant to her. The guys in this book are either complete a$$holes or "nice" guys who keep coming back even after she is really nasty to them. This isn't even a fun/fluffy beach read, it's just a waste of time.
Kristy
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, fun read with all the funny dating stories you expect from a chick lit. I loved the author's first book, "How to Sleep With A Movie Star" and was thrilled to have a mention of that book's male lead Cole Brannon and the Over the Moon diner (which plays a pivotal part in the book!), and its Waitress, Marge....in this book. I like the message that sometimes we, women, can be our own worst enemy in the dating world. I hope I can remember that in my future!
Tracy
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, kindle
As many reviewers noticed, the 'dumb' scenes are really, really dumb and annoying. To the point that you want to punch things. But the cast of characters are interesting. The twist is nicely twisted, but ultimately less satisfying than if things had been predictable.
Shelley Murray
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Trite, repetitive, predictable, and not very fun to read. Spent most of the book wanted to smack Harper for being such a whiney brat, and the rest it rolling my eyes because I really don't need every breakthrough realization repeated twice.
Nicole Blais
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found proof that I took this out from the library in late 2008, but I don't remember it. I think I enjoyed it! Usually I remember books that I don't like and why I didn't. :)
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Maybe my expectations are too high, but oy to all the books lately that could be really good and there is just that something that brings them all down! This was another one. I need to just get my lame-o ranting out of the way first. The Girl in this story is like this high flying rare science-y patent attorney and yet she only makes like $300,000/year, which is like NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. And there was this word that was used in the book a bunch, but damnit, now I can’t remember ...more
Amethystina
I wanted something easy and uncomplicated to read, preferrably something in the romance genre, and this was perfect for that. While this story is far from deep, it still has more substance than a lot of the books targeted at women where the main goal seems to be to get yourself a man (which is a really stupid notion if you ask me).

It was a fun read — lots of ugly cackling happened — and it was interesting to see that it actually pulled off some twists these kinds of books usually don't. Like act
Rita
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sex in the City meets Dorothy on the rocks. At times funny and at times annoying, even using references to Sex in the City, I would have to say it is a light, easy, beach read. Yup, read it in less than 1 day. I did only give it 2 stars, and perhaps it deserved 3, midway between okay and liked it. I realized immediately that Harper had lost her self confidence after Peter and was subconsciencely pushing men away. The Blonde Theory was probably Good Therapy for her in that it helped her to realiz ...more
Mariah
Jan 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked The Blonde Theory because I felt like I was reading about normal, every day life. A friend lent me the book and I liked that it was my "type" of humor.
Harper, the main character, seems like the kind of girl everyone wants to picture themselves being (minus the issue she has with men). She is pretty, successful, and has good friends. Despite how perfect anyone feels, everyone has flaws and Harper's is that she can't get a second date.
In our culture, it's said that the blonde bombsh
Mindy Tysinger
If I were more specific about this rating, I'd give it two and a half instead of three stars. I liked the premise of this book. Harper is a smart and successful lawyer who is having trouble keeping a man. Everyone seems intimidated by her or so she thinks. So begins the scheme cooked up by her gal pals. The Blonde Theory is the girls theory that a "dumb blonde" really does have more fun. Since her dating life is nonexistent, Harper agrees to her friends makeover and launches herself on a dating ...more
Melinda Pollard
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a must read! A fun read, but also made me think. A story of a female Lawyer who is blonde, intelligent, successful, has her own apartment and has a boyfriend. The book starts out with the boyfriend leaving her because of the fact that she is TOO successful. She keeps having issues and striking out with men because they are intimidated by her success. Her friends come up with something that they call the "Blonde Theory" where they creates a persona online that portrays her as a dumb, a ...more
Becky
Jun 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was, admittedly, looking for a bit of a mindless beach read when I picked this up. This book isn't even that good. It feels like it was written as a creative writing project for a school class with poor editing (if Harper said one more thing "drily" I was going to stab someone). The characters are totally one-dimensional and uninteresting and unbelievable. The main character is actually bit of a bitch. I'm also not sure how an attractive blonde in her 30s thinks she looks frumpy in Armani. I'm ...more
May 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was recommended to me and it was a bargain book at B&N, so why not read it? It was okay but I really didn't like the main character or sympathize with her. "Woe is me, I'm a partner in a law firm and too smart and successful for a man to ever love me. What will I do? I know! Dress like a hooker, act like a ditz, and try internet dating to prove that men want to go out with dumb girls instead of me." Huh?? There were some other story lines that could have improved the story if they w ...more
Kourtney
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. At first the story seemed a bit bland, but I stuck with it (courtesy of my reading challenge!) and I'm glad I did. The dates Harper went on had me laughing out loud, holding my sides on the conversations she would have under "The Blonde Theory." An issue with her friend had me turning pages faster than I could read them, just wanting to know what would happen next, and the ending was not what I expected (which I always appreciate).

Great read when you are looking for
Sep 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was better than the other Kristin Harmel book i read (Italian for Beginners) but i still can't really give it more than three stars. the story was more engaging and the character of Harper more interesting, but she did do a lot of whining and seemed to contradict herself; one minute she wants to do the Blonde Theory, the next, she's against it and doesn't want to do it anymore. but it was definitely an interesting concept, considering i myself am a blonde and have wondered why it's the ...more
Christie Gibson
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a women's fiction book, so no neat, tied-up happy ending, but if you know you're reading women's fiction, it shouldn't be a shock. This book was H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S. There were so many parts I flagged to go back and laugh about over and over. And, this book does have a lot of truth. Women are judged on appearances rather than brains, in a lot of cases. If you'd like to explore that topic, then give it a read. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Joanne
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So marking "I'm finished" on this is a lie because I only made it about 70 pages.

So it's um, like, an interesting concept and stuff...but like um....don't read it if you actually have a degree in Chemical Engineering cause the description of what that means is the beginning of the end for you, and um, like guys aren't breaking up with you because you're too smart, they're like breaking up with you because you're like a dumbass with nauseating friends. That is all.
stephanie
Jul 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
stereotypical characters, kind of trying to be a rip-off of sex and the city (though it acknowledges it), the plot is utterly predictable and any attempt at humor falls flat. the point is not a happy one (most successful men don't like successful women - especially smart ones), and a premise i don't really believe. it was a little too man-hating for me, with cheating people all over the place.

man, the more i think about it, the more i really didn't like it. huh.
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Another fun chick lit book by Kristin Harmel. The main character, Harper, is a 35 year old lawyer who is very successful at work, but not so successful in her dating life. She decides to try out a theory that she would have an easier time getting dates if she acted like a ditzy blonde instead of herself. It's a littel obvious where the story is going at times, and the protagonist can be a little bit too self-pitying, but I still enjoyed it.
Debbie
I have mixed feelings about this book. Overall, I liked it, particularly the ending, which was a refreshing change-of-pace. However, there were certain things that made me grit my teeth throughout. The ditzy scenes were teeth-grittingly painful at times, and for someone who was so smart and successful, Harper was amazingly naive. I would rate this 3.5/5.
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-08
Cute book, quick read. It is about a successful lawyer who has made partner at her law firm, but... is single. Every guy she goes out with rejects her because she is too smart or too independent. She learns a lot about not settling when her friends put her up to trying out the "Blonde Theory." She tested whether or not she'd get more dates by being a ditzy blonde.
Alicia
Aug 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, romance
WOW. I have never hated a main character in a book as much as I despised Harper.
It was a somewhat enjoyable book. But the dumbest of people don't talk like she did in the 'dumb' scenes.
But like I said, I couldn't get over how annoying Harper was, so I'd like to give this book a 2.5, but since I can't, I guess I'll settle with a 3.
Marymichele
As frustrated as the main character got at several points in the story, was how frustrated I was feeling while reading the book. I understand the premise of the book and it made an interesting idea, but the story itself fell flat. I finished it, but not without some difficulty. Not my cup if tea, I guess.
Joy
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to give this really 3 1/2 stars. It's good, but not terrific. I found Harper (the main character)'s self-deprication a little too annoying. If the book had been slightly shorter, it would have been easier to handle. It had a few nice twists, though. I enjoyed it and would recommend it for some good, light summer reading.
Tiffany
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Blonde Theory was a really entertaining read for me. Hilarious, laugh-out-loud conversations and dates that the main character Harper goes out on are scattered throughout the book. The ending was cute, and worked out in a way that was predictable, yet still absolutely adorable. The book left me dying to read another one of Kristin Harmel's books.
Noreen Anastasia
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd take a break from reading "literature" to read something fun and lighthearted. This book was not it. Wholly unlikable and frustrating protagonist. I'm not sure how she found any man to date her, let alone make friends. The only thing I liked about this book was when she ended up alone.
Christy
A woman is dared to become a dumb blonde to see whether or not the stereotype leads to greater success in her relationships. The cover is spunky, the idea sounds fun, but the execution was honestly just a bit bland here. I kept thinking, gee, haven't I read this somewhere before? It wasn't a bad book at all, just nothing particularly unique, I guess.
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If it's a dangerous book for me to read on the train (so engaging I forget to pay attention to where we are) then it's a good book, and this one definitely did that. Really liked the main character and thought Harper was one of the most likable and interesting female lead characters I have read in a while.
  • Insider Dating
  • Wife in the Fast Lane
  • Fashionably Late
  • A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)
  • Spin Doctor
  • Confessions of a Serial Dater
  • Catching Alice
  • Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakthrough
  • The Fabulously Fashionable Life of Isabel Bookbinder (Isabel Bookbinder #2)
  • All or Nothing (The Coxwells, #4)
  • Pushing 30
  • It's About Your Husband
  • A Hollywood Ending
  • Un-Bridaled
  • A Clean Slate
  • Bachelor Boys
  • The Breakup Club
  • Filthy Rich
Kristin Harmel is an international bestselling novelist whose books have been translated into numerous languages and are sold all over the world. After spending many years as a journalist (including more than a decade writing and reporting for People magazine) Kristin now freelances only occasionally, focusing on book tours, book club visits and, of course, writing her next books! THE SWEETNESS OF ...more
More about Kristin Harmel...