Start by marking “He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Amelia Peabody, #12)” as Want to Read:
He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Amelia Peabody, #12)

He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Amelia Peabody #12)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  8,207 Ratings  ·  327 Reviews
1914 finds archaelogists Amelia Peabody, narrator, and husband Radcliffe Emerson back in Egypt for another dig, despite civil unrest. Defiantly pacifist son Ramses hides his spy activity with cousin David. He rescues Molly, and his dazzling smile conquers yet another female. An artifact from Giza confirms the return of archnemesis Sethos.
Published April 2001 by Avon (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about He Shall Thunder in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Shall Thunder in the Sky

Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 12
This book deserves 6 stars
Left me in a daze of joy. Ramses is the hottest thing ever put in print. Damn.
Jamie Collins
This is my favorite Amelia Peabody adventure so far - but I've said that about the last several books. They keep getting better. The early books were amusing enough, but they were light, frivolous reads. Peters has gradually increased the drama and the emotional intensity. After I finished the previous book, The Falcon at the Portal, I was so caught up in the story that I immediately started this one.

It's set in 1914, during the Great War. Peabody and Emerson have been granted permission to exca
Robin
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-11
Skip River in the Sky and read this one right now.
You can go back later if you want to, but I am *telling* you, go read it right now. I'll wait.

Okay, not really. I have to wonder if Elizabeth Peters thought this was going to be her last novel, because just a large number of stories get resolved here. (It took me forever to read this. I stayed up late. You have NO idea how much I like to sleep, and I GAVE IT UP to finish this book.)

I won't give away spoilers, because you'll just get mad at me. Bu
Nicole
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
*Much* better than book #11 in terms of plot, though also enjoyable because of the way the Emersons interact. This is the most caring I've ever seen them toward each other, and it's adorable. Amelia and Ramses have some especially lovely moments, but there are some nice Emerson-Ramses and Emerson-Amelia moments, as well.
Of course, there are lots of things to chuckle at, too.
The plot was deliciously complicated, and several things that seemed extraneous at first ended up being important. There
Colleen
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
RavenclawReadingRoom
4.25 stars because the last 75 pages are so tense.

This is the last of the handful of books I own in this series, and it's probably the one I've reread the most. There's less humour in it than others in the series, but considering it's set during World War I, it's only appropriate that the humour be dialled back.

Where the previous Amelia Peabody books have been pretty much straight up murder mysteries with a side of archaeology, this one is far more political. It's tense and fast paced and full
Leonide Martin
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Amelia Peabody fans, Egypt fiction, mystery-adventure readers
Another marvelous Elizabeth Peters tale weaving mystery, adventure and humor in early 20th century Egypt, seen through the discerning eyes of Amelia Peabody. Just after WWI breaks out, Amelia and Emerson's son Ramses becomes enmeshed in counter-intelligence work for the British involving an insurgent militant group in Cairo. While Emerson grumbles and curses while pursuing mastaba excavations, Amelia ferrets out dangerous information while trying to keep everything from their adopted daughter, N ...more
Teri-K
I'm having to think about this review. I love this series because they're good stories with interesting historical details and they're fun. This book wasn't fun. Perhaps that's only right, as it's about the build up to WWI, which wasn't funny at all. But I really missed the sense of humor and joy that I usually get from reading about Amelia and her family. I also missed the incredibly unlikely events that the earlier books were filled with.

I rated what I thought it deserved as a book, but it rea
John Frankham
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Listened to this again on long car journeys, and the review below holds!

"For aficionados of this crime series about Amelia and Radcliffe Emerson's escapades in Egypt either side of the Great War while 'archaeologing', this is a key plot and character development and resolution novel, taking place during the war itself.

Undercover activity, spies and traitors involved in plots for local revolution linked to German and Turkish threats to the Suez Canal.

Perhaps the plot develops a bit turgidly in th
Nora Hood
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy fuck this book is amazing.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #69 - He Shall Thunder in the Sky 1 1 Mar 22, 2016 11:39AM
  • Vanish with the Rose
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
  • Justice Hall (Mary Russell, #6)
  • The Sins of the Wolf (William Monk, #5)
  • The Pilgrim of Hate (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #10)
  • Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1)
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Frede ...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...

Amelia Peabody (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2)
  • The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)
  • Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4)
  • The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)
  • The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6)
  • The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog (Amelia Peabody, #7)
  • The Hippopotamus Pool (Amelia Peabody, #8)
  • Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody, #9)
  • The Ape Who Guards the Balance (Amelia Peabody, #10)
“He hesitated for a moment. Then he said softly, 'I love you, Mother.' He took my hand and kissed it, and folded my fingers round the stem of the rose. He had stripped it of its thorns.
I was too moved to speak. But maternal affection was not the only emotion that prevented utterance; as I watched him walk away, his head high and his step firm, anger boiled within me. I knew I had to conquer it before I saw Nefret again, or I would take her by the shoulders and shake her, and demand that she love my son!”
10 likes
“As Ramses did the same for his mother, he saw that her eyes were fixed on him. She had been unusually silent. She had not needed his father's tactless comment to understand the full implications of Farouk's death. As he met her unblinking gaze he was reminded of one of Nefret's more vivid descriptions. 'When she's angry, her eyes look like polished steel balls.' That's done it, he thought. She's made up her mind to get David and me out of this if she has to take on every German and Turkish agent in the Middle East.” 10 likes