Start by marking “Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss, #3)” as Want to Read:
Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss, #3)

Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss #3)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  3,231 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
One perfect red rose, a one-way ticket to Stockholm, and a cryptic "message" consisting of two Latin words intrigue art historian Vicky Bliss—as they were precisely intended to do.Beautiful, brilliant and, as always, dangerously inquisitive, Vicky recognizes the handiwork of her former lover, the daring jewel thief John Smythe. So she takes the bait, eagerly following Smyt ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published November 7th 2000 by Avon (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Silhouette in Scarlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silhouette in Scarlet

Teri-K
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be my favorite of the Vicky Bliss stories. It's that great, almost old-fashioned combo of mystery, adventure and romance, though it's very light on the romance. Peters generally manages a bit of humor, too which is always welcome. Worth reading or rereading.
Gerry
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Having had this book on my to read shelf to read shelf for some time I was quite pleased when I decided to pull it out and proceed.

What a mistake; it is dull and uninteresting from first page to last. The storyline is so poor that I struggled to come to terms with it (perhaps that says more about me than about the book) and although there are passages of good descriptive writing they do not add up to making the book a good, and understandable, read.

Vicky Bliss is a boring character, her co-consp
Gina
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finding a good cozy can be a bit like panning for gold. You have to go through a lot of grit to find a nugget worth keeping. Elizabeth Peters' books are those nuggets.

I fully admit I'm biased. I've loved the Elizabeth Peters books since I stumbled across them in elementary school. Vicky's my favorite of her heroines, and Silhouette is a close second to my all-time favorite, Trojan Gold.

Silhouette has wit and charm. Are parts of it well, maybe a bit implausible? Yeah, probably, but for me, that j
Gigi
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the Vicky Bliss mystery series during high school, and rereading the books is like curling up on a cozy couch with an old friend -- if that old friend brings intrigue, adventure, foreign travel, a puzzling mystery, and romance all in one package.

Silhouette in Scarlet isn't one of Elizabeth Peters' most clever mysteries (she writes some absolutely brilliant ones), but it's one of my favorites because it's a mad-cap adventure that features John Smythe at his roguish best.
Katie
Ahaha. These are just so fun!

(view spoiler)
Renee M
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Vicky and John are like Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant in Charade, only blonde. I love the screwball comedy/mystery/romance of it all. And this one is set in Sweden! With plenty of bad guys, a bit of a treasure hunt, dash of danger, plenty of wit, and a fickle feline. Lots of escapist fun!
Hannah
#3 in the series, and John & Vicky are in true form! I'm so happy these are as fun and frothy as I remember them.
John Marsh
Mary Beth
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, mysteries
The relationship between Vicky and John finally starts crackling in Silhouette, making it a fun, buoyantly suspenseful romp. Max makes for a delightfully creepy villain, and the Swedish locale is more colorful than one might expect.
Heather
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a re-read for me right after Street of the Five Moons. I liked both of them as well as I remember - lightheaded fun (well, ok, some blood, but not really) with an element of travelogue to it.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 15 Feb 05, 2015 06:03PM
  • Vanish with the Rose
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Frede ...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...

Vicky Bliss (7 books)
  • The Camelot Caper  (Vicky Bliss, #0.5)
  • Borrower of the Night (Vicky Bliss, #1)
  • Street of the Five Moons (Vicky Bliss, #2)
  • Trojan Gold (Vicky Bliss, #4)
  • Night Train to Memphis (Vicky Bliss, #5)
  • The Laughter of Dead Kings (Vicky Bliss, #6)
“I object to murder. It's just a silly girlish prejudice.” 1 likes