Start by marking “Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)

Lady Be Good

(Wynette, Texas #2)

Lady Emma Wells-Finch--the oh-so-proper headmistress of England's St. Gertrude's School for Girls--has come to Texas with just two weeks to ruin her reputation, the only way she can save herself from losing everything she holds dear. And when a gorgeous man who can't afford another scandal meets this hardheaded woman who's determined to cause one, anything can happen, even ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Be Good, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)
♥Sharon♥
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ive only recently come upon this author and this is only my second book by her but I truly enjoy her writing. Susan Elizabeth Philips creates story lines and characters that are humorous, unique, sexy and so much fun to read.

Lady Be Good is the second book in the Wynette, Texas series. Ive read Fancy Pants which is book #1 and loved that one too. This is the story of Lady Emma Wells-Finch and Kenny Traveler. Their meeting is arranged to help with a situation that Kenny is in, but with one little
Mo
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite
I originally read this a few years ago and gave it 5 stars. Just finished a re-read and it would not make the 5 star mark today. If Dallie and Fancy Pants hadn't show up, it might even be lower. I don't even know why I didn't love it as much this time around.

I am kind of afraid to re-read the rest of the series for fear that I might find fault with them also.

Still, she is a great author and she will be an "auto-buy" for me.

Classic Susan Elizabeth Phillips! Lady Be Good is the second installment in her adult contemporary romance series titled Wynette, Texas. I just love Ms. Phillips' ability to write amazing humor and romance and she excels at both in this one. Golf is one of my least favorite sports so the male lead's pro-golf career was a bit of a bore for me personally but this is such a fun book! If you're into adult romances filled with laughs, check out this author!!!

My favorite quote:
Now, this is where I
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: contemporary romance fans I guess...
My first thought on Kenny: is this guy for real?? I thought nah it cant be! And then this happened:

[the woman is holding two kids in her arms]
He mentally redressed her in a tight top, short skirt, and a pair of stiletto heels, then added black fishnet stockings for good measure. Hed never paid for sex in his life, but he decided hed be more than happy to throw a little extra cash her way if she ever decided she needed to earn something on the side to pay for her kids orthodontics work.

This
Piper
This was properly delightful!! It is the third Susan Elizabeth Phillips novel I have read, and I was just as smitten by it as I was the first two. She writes in a way that makes you laugh out loud, reflect on lifes afflictions, rejoice in second chances, and love falling in love.
Lady Be Good is the second installment in the Wynette, Texas series. The main characters once again depict a Texas golfer and a British lady. Brought together by an innocent matchmaker (who also happens to be the
Tammy
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves a fun romp!
Lady Emma Wells-Finch is headmistress of St. Gert's School for Girls. Emma is desperate to create the perfect scandal that will convince the egotistical Duke of Beddington, the main benefactor of her school, that she is not appropriate marriage material. However, while she is trying her best to convince the Duke that she will not make a satisfactory Duchess, she cannot take things too far or he will sell St. Gerts out from under her.

Gorgeous Kenny Traveler - who needs to avoid scandal at all
Dija
"Now, this is where I draw the line! Its bad enough everybody in towns going to be thinkin Im sleeping with a depressed, lice-ridden, hemorrhoidal foreigner who likes to be tied up and might be pregnant, althoughsince shes just about cornered the market on condomsI dont know how that could have happened. But I will not you listen to me, Emma!I absolutely will not have anybody thinkin a woman of mine needs a vaginal moisturizer, do you hear me?"

The good stuff:

1. The romance. It is thoroughly
Amber
SEP has never let me down, and Lady Be Good is no exception. Susan Elizabeth's fabulous writing, witty dialogue, and lovable characters made this a fabulous audiobook that gave me so many laughs.

I'm about halfway through all of SEP's books and have loved them all. I've recently started listening to some on audiobook and have been extremely happy with the 3 narrators she uses. This book was narrated by Anna Fields, who does a fabulous job especially with Lady Emma's British accent.

Even though
Dee
- Loved it! After the previous book in the series I was pleased to get more of what I associated as SEP.
- Loved Kenny, liked Emma.
- Liked background stories.
- Very funny which kept me chuckling with more than a few full out belly laughs.
- Looking forward to reading Ted's story. Can't believe that adorable little boy has turned into one sexy young man!
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
My second by SEP, I didn't like it as much as the first, though I liked it well enough. All of that is down to Emma, though. She's worried about becoming one of "those dear, old things" and is looking to change that with the added impetus of needing to turn an unwanted suitor off the hunt. Because her inherent decency and kindness and stability is warring with her need for change, her actions can be a bit erratic. The thing is, SEP does an excellent job making it reasonable so I didn't feel like ...more
Deeksha
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

Some books are nice, very comfortable. And a point comes where these books stop becoming your comfort zone and shifting to 'just ok' category, this is one of those.
Aou
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun and to the end, was angsty but also boring. Because of the satisfying end, 3,25 stars.
Zeek
I heart this book so much. Both hero and the heroine are right up there with my favorites. Written when SEP was at the top of her game, I can only give it five stars.

Lady Emma Wells-Finch, on a school break from her Head Mistress job at all girls St. Gertrudes, is taking the time to do some study on one of her favorite women in history. Instead, she finds herself in the unlikely position of being escorted around Texas, USA by one of the top players in golf world.

Kenny Traveler, one of the top
Zeek

Kenny Traveler, one of the top
Duchess Nicole
4.5 Stars

I think I love this series just as much as her Chicago Stars series. I feel like the Wynette, Texas series has a more serious tone to it, despite the pervasive humor. I've been listening to the audiobooks and the narration is spot on. Rarely do I feel like a narrator actually adds to my enjoyment, but this one does. Fantastic book, fantastic series.
Cheri
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The H & h drove me crazy all through this book. I wanted to smack both their heads together! It definitely kept me entertained. I look forward to reading the rest of the series :)
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
To be honest I didn't begin the book with high expectations because when I tried to read Fancy Pants I kind of got bored with all the old tales and I haven't finished it yet but this book was a beautiful surprise just like all of the others I have read from Susan Elizabeth Phillips! I have to admit that I am a great fun although usually I only read books from this century and this goes a long way to show just how much I love them!

What made this book irresistible :

1) Kenny! I have read hundreds
Jan
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I'm rereading this series and want to read them all, because the earlier ones set up characters for some of the later books. But this one wasn't my fav. It was mildly entertaining, but pretty much seems like a do-over of the previous book, Fancy Pants, which I enjoyed more than this one.

It seems like after the success of Fancy Pants, the author was encouraged/pushed to write another book that was pretty much the same: H is another gorgeous, tall, drawling Texan golf star, who still has a few
Maggie
I love how I just finished books with male leads named Dallie and Panda (yes, PANDA!), and yet Kenny was the one I had the hardest time wrapping my brain around. I kept calling him Nicky. (Why? Who knows where thoughts come from. They just appear. -Lucas, Empire Records) I liked this one even more than Fancy Pants. There was great chemistry and dialogue between Emma and Nicky Kenny, and the requires-suspension-of-belief plotline actually worked in this zany story. I cracked up at the low-speed ...more
Nefise
I like to read SEP's books. Sometimes I have better time all of the story than epilogue. It didn't mean didn't I like epilogue but it was not like that it melted my heart etc. :)
Also, although I know that SEP's heroine is better than hero and her heros are little bit background, I couldn't connect hero much.
As if he's there but not there actually. As if he's one of the secondary characters. All of my complaints, I had very good time.
Manda Collins
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Reread. So good. I'd forgotten how much I love this book!
Re-read 11/24/2015
Noura
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second SEP book that i've read, the first one being What I Did For Love. I was not overly impressed because i found the heroine a bit neurotic. And it seems that the heroine for this book is also a bit of a quirky character. Maybe it's a SEP heroine trait. Idk. But i'm beginning to like the style.

Lady Be Good is a fun story. I kind of have a feeling that the book is set in the late 90s or early 2000s since we are talking about messages sent via facsimiles (wuuut??), no mention of
CL
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

You really go around calling yourself that? A Head Mistress?
Its what I do.
He looked vastly amused. For proper people, you British sure do have some racy job titles.

Were not talking about that now; were talking about the fact that I dropped off Mary Poppins and I came back to find Madonna. His gaze took in her new outfit, purchased at one of the malls inexpensive teen boutiques. The sleeveless black T-dress was perilously short and closely fitted, with a zip-neck. Unzipped. Or at least unzipped
Nisha
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I seem to be going through SEP books backwards; supposedly this is the 2nd book, but I honestly was not ready to read the 1st.

Lady Be Good, takes place in Texas (which is a treat since I live in Texas), with an English lady headmistress heroine and a lazy PGA golf star millionaire. Lady Emma, aka Lady E, is a 30 year old virgin, who is in the danger of being blackmailed to marry a mad controlling English Duke. To save her school (the object that is used for blackmail), Emma must lose her
Eve
Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)
by Susan Elizabeth Phillip

Read from July 05 to 08, 2014
Re-Read from January 12 to 17, 2014

Description
When Fransesca (from Fancy Pants) asks Kenny Traveler to escort Lady Emma around Texas to get him back in the golf tour, Kenny doesn't realize what he's getting into.
British Lady Emma may look conservative but she's quite handful because she's determined to ruin her lily white reputation in order to get out of an unwanted courtship.

description
Now, this is where I draw the
Jane Stewart
Great Funny Read. But audiobook narrator was weak.

The first time I read it I was doubled over with tears in my eyes hysterically laughing so many times! On subsequent reads I still laughed but not as much because I knew what was coming. But it was still great.

This story is the romance between two oddly matched people: Lady Emma headmistress of a girls school in England and Kenny a professional golfer in Texas.

AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR:
Anna Fields was very good with everything except Kennys voice (the
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christina ~ Brunette Reader by: Jill

A proper headmistress and a playboy professional golfer, she has a spotless reputation to lose at all costs, he has a tarnished one to regain and restore. And when this British lady meets such a Texan golden boy is a scandal waiting to happen and making for a truly delicious romantic comedy gem.
A 1999 vintage SEP that doesn't feel one bit dated, with her trademark flawless writing, crackling dialogues, sexy tension and irresistible brand of humour. Supported by a cast of quirky and scrumptious
Amy
I used to really like SEP's books, but after a while they all start to sound the same.
*The Angry Reader*
I've nearly read everything SEP has written, and I'm panicking a bit. Torn between reading First Lady because I want alllllllll the SEP or The Last Hour of Gann because I hear it's amazing and I want to drag out SEP.

Down to business - Lady Be Good was incredible. I hesitated to read it because I thought it sounded fusty and boring. You'd think that after all these books I'd know that an SEP hero isn't going to let me down. And while he's no Bobby Tom Denton ole Kenny Traveler certainly wasn't a
Jen
Jan 19, 2020 marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Got to page 68 and just had to stop. The H wasnt even an alpha-hole, he was just rude and a jerk. The h was somewhat pathetic and neither the H nor the h would know the truth if it bit them in the keister. I know there needs to be some conflict in a work of fiction to keep the readers attention and to have the conflict be resolved in a HEA, but getting to the HEA in this book would have a been a slog. This was recommended to me by a customer in the store because the dialogue is very funny. If I ...more
Books 7 38 May 14, 2018 08:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate to combine 2 13 Jan 28, 2018 05:33PM

• The Trouble With Valentine's Day (Chinooks Hockey Team, #3)
  • Notte Numero Zero
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team, #4)
  • Simply Irresistible (Chinooks Hockey Team, #1)
  • Not Another Bad Date (Writer Friends, #4)
  • Non cercavo qualcuno da amare
  • Any Man of Mine (Chinooks Hockey Team, #6)
  • L'ultimo bacio
  • Ogni volta che sono solo con te
  • House of love
  • Jingle bell rock
  • Tutti i colori del cielo
  • Scritto sulla neve
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • Una Cenerentola a Manhattan
  • Nothing But Trouble (Chinooks Hockey Team, #5)
  • Indelebile  (The Broken Stars, #2)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the creator of the sports romance, beginning with her 1989 bestseller, FANCY PANTS. An internationally acclaimed author, her books have been published in over 30 languages. Shes the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of Americas prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award.

Susan's

Wynette, Texas (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #6)