Start by marking “The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)

The Secret of the Old Clock

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  58,452 ratings  ·  2,909 reviews
Very detailed, and very interresting and fun to read.Nancy was driving her car when she saw a little girl crossing the road when a truck was coming fast and was about to hit her, nancy jumped out of the car to save her but the little girl had already fell in a pond aciddentally. Of course nancy saved the girl and she found out that she lived with her two aunts that loved h ...more
Published 1959 by GROSSET & DUNLAP (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Old Clock, please sign up.
Danielle K I had to read the original for a graduate class I am in. I was able to purchase it through the college bookstore. Maybe if you try a local library you…moreI had to read the original for a graduate class I am in. I was able to purchase it through the college bookstore. Maybe if you try a local library you would be able to get an original copy?(less)

·  58,452 ratings  ·  2,909 reviews

Start your review of The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
Michael Finocchiaro
"I love Nancy Drew! She is so cool," said my 7 year old daughter. I had"ve read the first 10 Hardy Boys books to my son ("one more chapter before going to bed PLEEEEASE papa!!") and figured I needed to let my daughter get in on the fun. Of course, my son said, "The Hardy Boys are better!" but who was on the couch listening in while pretending to ignore my daughter and I? Yep.
The first book of the Nancy Drew series is the story of a lost will that Nancy is helping the disowned and impoveris
Brina
My February month of reading mysteries is finally ending. I am excited for March as I have previously mentioned, a little too excited. To end an otherwise dreary and depressing month on a positive note, I decided to squeeze in one more mystery, this one a buddy read. This was no ordinary buddy read in a group, but one with my seven year old daughter. She is in first grade and is reading with ease. Lately she has enjoyed the newer, and probably easy for her, Nancy Drew Notebooks Mysteries. I deci ...more
Alejandro
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, detective
The Girl Detective begins!

This is the very first book, introducing the popular character of Nancy Drew. This edition is the revised one, changing the age of Nancy Drew from 16 to 18 years old. (But since in later series, her age is changed back to 16, that’s an irrelevant modification.

THE HEROINE

Nancy Drew is the only daughter of Carson Drew, prestigious lawyer of the town of River Heights (a fictional town, by the way). Her mother died when Nancy was 3 years old (original edition stated that she was 10 y/>
Sheri
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A solid start to the series that got me started on not only mysteries, but also series reads. Nancy Drew embodies everything a girl hopes to be: smart, athletic, ingenious, brave, friendly, fun, pretty, adventurous ... well, I could go on and on, but you get the picture! I love trying to solve the mystery along with Nancy, although it is easier now as an adult and after I have already read it before! Recommended to children as a suspenseful, action-packed mystery that they can work to solve alon ...more
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
This was a reread for me and goes back to my childhood. I use to love this series and have decided to reread this series. It reminds me so much of my Grandma who always came over to visit me with a new Nancy Drew book and I was always so excited to read it. I had to give it 5 stars because this is the mystery series that actually gave me the love of reading. If I never of picked this book up I might not of ever of got into reading, which would of been very sad, because reading is just so much fu ...more
Jessica
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girl sleuths who've recently learned to read
I see this edition is actually a postcard book, but I wanted to review The Secret of the Old Clock with its proper cover.

This was the first chapter book I ever read. I have a very clear memory of my mom giving it to me in the car on the way back from Palo Alto, which can't possibly be correct because she wouldn't have handed me a book while driving on the freeway. Maybe she gave it to me before we started driving, and I was reading it in the car? It's kind of a mystery.

An
Ginger

This was fun to revisit! I read the whole Nancy Drew series as a kid and reading this again brought lots of great memories back.

The Secret of the Old Clock is the definition of a cozy mystery and likely started the trend in the first place. It was really enjoyable to read again!

I hope to continue reading this series off and on over the next few years. It's nostalgic to revisit books that you've read as a child.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
So I was watching the BDSM episode of Our America, and this one chick said that she first discovered her fascination with being tied up when Nancy was being tied up by the bad guys...

I TOTALLY DIDN'T GET THE MEMO THAT I SHOULD HAVE BEEN GETTING EXCITED.

Anyway, I loved this series as a child. I intend to revisit it someday. Nancy was my girl...and apparently these books are a gateway drug to a kinkier life.
Juli
Although Trixie Belden was my favorite teen sleuth, I also enjoyed Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys mysteries growing up. I think I liked Trixie better as she was closer to my age and more of a tom boy/country girl like I was. I devoured books from all three series as fast as I could get my hands on them, so the differences in characters didn't hamper my enjoyment of the mysteries.

I am making an effort to re-visit favorite series and authors. I've been re-reading the Trixie Belden books...so final
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
What if goodreads doesn't adhere to half-stars rating system? We have always the option of providing us with one ourselves, don't we?

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐- roughly the equivalent of 4.5 stars, but still remains higher than 5? Serves my propensity for loose rating very well!

We now know what 18 year old girls of yore, who didn't live their lives at the rate of 20 texts per minute, 50 cuss words per hour, 30 books per month, were doing when they had nothing important to do- driving around the town in their conver
Cheryl
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: ya
I think Nancy drew was the beginning of the end for me. Her adventures and the mysteries that she solved made me yearn to solve my own. This made me inquisitive, leading to a job as a journalist at 14. It also made me want to write.

And here I am...just a few years later (Ok, more than a few), and I'm a writer of suspense, mysteries and thrillers! :) Go figure.

I recommend this book for pre-teens and young teens. It's a great escape. And for women who want to remember a piece of their
Brad
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, children
I broke with our usual pattern around these parts and decided to read some Nancy Drew before Brontë took it on. She had three books she was trying to choose from at the beginning of the month: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, Stardust and The Secret of the Old Clock. She said she needed "a break" from longer books after having read Murder on the Orient Express and Poison Study, so she picked the Farley Mowat. She tossed Nancy Drew aside, and I decided to pick it up.

I am so glad I did because I love a good surprise. I expected it to be ok
Charles  van Buren
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review by Catherine, grade 5. Try to find the original 1930 edition instead of the1959 one. I don't like the 1959 Nancy as much as the original. But the mystery was still good. The bad girls were really nasty.
Jess (Primrose)
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm slowly making my way through reading the original text Nancy Drew books. My childhood was filled with the yellow, matte revised texts. I'm discovering a different accounting of the stories that so entertained me and filled me with curiosity. When I review these, I will just jot down my surprises or thoughts.

Surprises:

-She's sixteen in this book and blonde bobbed. (not the titian haired sleuth in the later books!)
-Nancy's conversation with Jeff Tucker. Not at all politically correct a
Katie
This is the first time I've read Nancy Drew since I was about seven, and imagine my delight when she turned out to be absolutely out of her mind bonkers. She's always mulling over fresh tire tracks and sparkling her eyes at her own father while wearing an attractive linen suit. I love her. The only things missing for me were Bess and her extra five pounds.
☆Brittany☆
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
Honestly reading this book as an adult was almost brutal. Nancy's whole demeanor/thoughts/words used etc were just so cheesy.
BUT, I read quite a few Nancy Drew books during my preteen years & I absolutely LOVED them. I loved them enough to never part with the books & if I find the "old style" edition of a Nancy Drew book that I don't have I buy it, still.
So, I am giving the book 5 stars because when I was a kid I really did think these books were amazing. Now, as an adult, they ar
Summer
I want to give this a five because of the enormous impact it's had on the popular imagination, and because it's the first book in a series that features a female main character who is smart and brave and rescues her boyfriend instead of the other way around, and because I read it about 100000 times when I was a kid, but the writing is just so bad. One thing that never struck me before: why are there so many pairs of siblings in this book? Two aging sisters, two aging brothers, two young sisters, two ...more
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
The very first Nancy Drew—this one has Nancy investigating and uncovering the secret of a lost will and in the process helping a number of deserving people. I love how sweet and charming the original series of books is (something I seem to always say—and which the newer series seem to lack). And this one has Nancy solving pretty much the entire mystery on her own (with a bit of her father’s help)—Bess, George, and Ned hadn’t appeared on the scene yet, there was only her friend Helen Corning who ...more
ABookwormWithWine
Ah Nancy Drew, an oldie but a goodie! I remember reading these as a young girl and it was one of the only happy moments from my childhood, when I got lost in books such as this series. Wanted to reread them and see if they were as good as I remembered them to be. I was not disappointed! A little cheesy, but it is a juvenile book after all. Gotta love me some Nancy Drew. 🙌🏽
Jessaka
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way

Journalist, Mildred Wirt had been hired to write this series that Edward Stratemeyer had created. He sent her an outline of the story, and in 4 weeks she had it finished and sent back to him. He accepted it as it was written even though he felt that it had taken too much time for her to get to the action in the story. He was so correct, as I was bored myself until more than half way into the book. (This information on Edward’s displeasure with the s
Susan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beloved childhood book of mine and I have so many fond memories of reading these books when I was younger. My friends and I would read and talk about them like Nancy was real and to us she was. It was my first mystery books and I grew up still reading and loving mystery/thriller books.
I know the writing isn't the best but I gave this book 4 stars for nostalgia and the fact that without these books in my life I may never have known the pure joy of losing myself in a book.

N
Kay
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won't knock this too much as this was the series that made me a reader but dang, it's like a book version of Scooby Doo!
Cassy
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first impression of this book, AKA the first sentence completely and totally put me off. I don't know what kind of person Carolyn Keene was, but i would not like to be her friend. Firstly, she writes like a snob. For example "Nancy Drew, a good-looking girl..." Ooookaaay...is that important to the story? Then another part..."she goes shopping in River Heights finest store"....oooookaaaay..."She pulls up in her blue convertible to her big mansion with two garages"...fine! ^_^ We get the point. ...more
Kavita
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, children
This is Nancy's very first mystery in which she searches for a missing will. Joshua Crowley has been dead for a few months and when Nancy comes across several people telling her that he had promised to remember them in his will, but didn't, she gets curious. Determined to find the will, especially because it benefited a rich local family that Nancy didn't like, she sets out on her first adventure.

There is a bit of class discrimination in this book towards the rich family, who annoyed
The Celtic Rebel (Richard)
As a kid I loved the Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys books and read every one of them I could get my hands on. I have reread several of them over the years. This book started the Nancy Drew series and is a wonderful start to the long-running series. Absolutely loved it.
Calista
I remember being shocked at how boring this was. So little plot or mystery and really little happens. It is very innocent. I can't believe this became so popular. Maybe it's better as a kid; I read it as an adult. I read a few more to give it more of a chance.
Jaksen
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I hadn't read this since 1964 or so ...

Over-the-top stereotypes, including: the villains who are dark and snarly; the snobbish girls/former classmates of Nancy who look down on her; the stalwart, wise and earnest father; the kindly housekeeper; the caretaker with a weird accent. (New England? Rhode Island? Middle-Earth?) hehe

Contrived situations. Life-or-death struggles. Stuck in a closet. Almost discovered going through a van of old furniture. Thieves and miscreants
Obsidian
I was just as shocked as anyone when I started to read "The Secret of the Old Clock" and found Nancy to be annoying. She and the other characters are sketched so thin and the whole story in this one was just off-putting. I also didn't think that Nancy was some great detective. She went snooping (those meddling kids) in order to find a missing will and also because she disliked the relatives who stood to inherit.

"The Secret of the Old Clock" has Nancy Drew in her first stand alone mystery. Nancy
L.H. Johnson
It's interesting to consider just how old this series is now. The Secret of the Old Clock, the first in the mythic Nancy Drew series, was originally published in 1930 with a substantial revision in 1959. That's a fair while, even for me who quite enjoys the more ancient side of children's literature. Yet this edition of The Secret of The Old Clock is fresh, breezy and reads rather as if it could have been written yesterday. There's still a space for this ferociously girl-positive novel, even whe ...more
Kat | Rustic Pages
My rating: 4.5/5

The start to my Nancy Drew reread! It's so nostalgic going back and reading my childhood favorites!

Find me on Booktube! youtube.com/c/rusticpages
Play Book Tag: The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene - 4 stars 11 22 Mar 10, 2019 10:25AM
Nancy Drew and Th...: August 2018 - The Secret of the Old Clock 13 10 Nov 25, 2018 05:03AM
HELP LOOKING FOR A BOOK 1 10 Aug 18, 2018 10:36PM
2019 & 2020 Readi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew #1) 16 194 May 02, 2018 06:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Editions 2 11 Apr 22, 2018 04:13AM
Around the Year i...: The Secret of The Old Clock, by Carolyn Keene 7 38 Apr 14, 2018 03:59PM

• The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Bobbsey Twins, #1)
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Mystery Behind the Wall (The Boxcar Children, #17)
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their fathe

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #11)
“Read, read, read. That's all I can say.” 2095 likes
“Not many girls would have used their wits the way you did," the officer observed.” 37 likes