Start by marking “Rien ne va plus” as Want to Read:
Rien ne va plus

Rien ne va plus

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"Every time I want to write, I want to write love stories. But as soon as I pick up the pen I'm overcome by horror."

Margarita Karapanou’s third novel is, like roulette, a breathtaking, suspenseful game. The story is simple: a love affair ends badly. A woman and a man marry, and their marriage leads them to cruelty, infidelity, and divorce. But here their story is told twi
Published October 1st 2009 by Clockroot Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Rien ne va plus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rien ne va plus

Eugene
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
two times the amour fou! …a writing of passion and extremes not dissimilar to marguerite duras and georges bataille, karapanou’s RIEN NE VA PLUS tells a break-up story twice, completely shifting not only perspective but wholly changing event and characterization. the effect is more subtle than simply the apprehension of relative truth à la a he-said-she-said story — but rather something is revealed about our own ability (and desire) to be both brutalizer and willing submissive.

there’s something
Nate D
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: love is a destroying force
Recommended to Nate D by: others give or take from us something that we ourselves cannot
Shelves: greece, read-in-2015
Events repeat, reconfigured. This isn't a case of two interpretations of the same events, no, they're irreconcilable. Or are they? Events reconcile in a space outside any one experience, lies illuminate the dead facts that would otherwise compose the truth of any story. Who here is the actual monster? Are they both, or are both ultimately tragic in their final solitude? Love stories, horror stories.
J.I.
Mar 28, 2010 added it
Shelves: read-2010
This novel is only understandable as a postmodernist rejection meaning. If you try to look at it as two sides of the coin (ala Rashomon), you will be dissapointed. It is all over the place and completely unreliable (in section 3 there is a seeming explanation of the first part, but the 3rd part itself is filled with lies and delusion). This is the point of the novel and in that respect it succeeds admirably. In the end, however, it is not a particularly masterful execution of anything other than ...more
Onalee
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, this novel left me speechless. I immediately wanted to read it over, to try to get deeper inside the minds of the haunting characters. This book will be on my mind for a while...and that's a good thing.
Sophia T
Είναι το δεύτερο βιβλίο της Μαργαρίτας Καραπάνου που διαβάζω, αν και το πρώτο " Lee και Lou" δεν με ενθουσίασε τόσο πολύ. Αυτό εδώ είναι διαφορετικό και αρκετά ενδιαφέρον. Το βιβλίο μας εξιστορεί τη σχέση δύο ανθρώπων, μία σχέση αγάπης και μίσους, μια σχέση εξάρτησης και απέχθειας, σχεδόν αρρωστημένη. Τη σχέση δύο ανθρώπων από δύο πλευρές.
Hilary
Jul 27, 2009 added it
Shelves: clockroot
“Rien ne va plus is one of the most haunting, affecting novels I’ve ever read. Brilliantly translated by Karen Emmerich, Karapanou’s words have stayed with me like the afterglow of a flash, or the sting of a punch.” —Jonathan Safran Foer

“Margarita Karapanou writes as if riding a wild horse, holding tight to its mane. If she had written in English, today the whole English-speaking world would be talking about her.” —Amanda Michalopoulou

"Every time I want to write, I want to write love stories. Bu
TinHouseBooks
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Perez (Publicity Intern, Tin House Books): This week’s raddest read was a translation of Margarita Karapanou’s Rien Ne Va Plus; it’s the story of a marriage and its dissolution, told twice: once with the husband as betrayer, once with the wife. The husband is a veterinarian named Alkiviadis, who is either a narcissist who makes his wife witness his multiple affairs with other men and then kills himself, or he’s an adoring, compassionate husband who desperately wants a family with his wife ...more
Izunia
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a crazy book. I wonder if Amélie Nothomb read it and was inspired by it.
But focusing on Rien ne va plus. It's a story about an unsuccessful, unhappy marriage between two people. He seems to be the "bad" one. It doesn't sound crazy so far. However, the story is told twice. The same people, an unsuccessful marriage, but this time she is the "bad" one. The book does not judge them though. In the end, the reader asks themselves, whether there is one "bad" one. Two stories told from her perspect
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
I need to read this book again. I probably won't right now, although it's tempting just to flip from the last page to the first and begin again. It really requires a lot of thought to process the disconnect between truth and reality. I'm not sure what I should believe, or even what I *want* to believe. But the couple in the book will stay with me for awhile.

Note: the back of the book says "this novel tells their story twice, from opposing perspectives." I was afraid this meant it was one of thos
Baxevanidou Faye
Το δεύτερο μυθιστόρημα της Καραπάνου που διαβάζω, αν και όχι τόσο βαρύ όσο η Κασσάνδρα και ο λύκος με τράβηξε από τις πρώτες σελίδες και με κράτησε ως το τέλος. Η συγγραφέας και εδώ αφήνει να φανούν τα θέματα που έχει με τη μητέρα της παρόλο που έχουμε να κάνουμε με την ιστορία ενός ζευγαριού. Η κοφτερή γραφή της νομίζω δεν αφήνει κανέναν ασυγκίνητο και είναι σίγουρα ένα από τα βιβλία που θα'θελα να ξαναδιαβάσω κάποια στιγμή.
Ashley
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Interesting. The characters and their relationship drew me in, but then it turned into something I didn't want it to be. It's the story of a marriage gone wrong, told from two very different perspectives. And not just 'his' and 'hers.' It's just told from two different angles. An interesting concept, but it just left me wondering 'so wait. what really happened?' And then not caring. Also, the baby nightmares were too much.
William
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read. Not for everyone, probably. I worried that I might just like the book because the translator somehow affected its tone or elegance. I wanted to learn the original language the book is written in. You can't go learning every language though. That's too many languages. You have to take it easy.
Evelyn
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
i was really captivated by the story as soon as i started reading the first few pages, made me want to know more about Louisa and Alkis. Their characters are very interesting and their relationship somehow sad and painful. Some parts are really intense with feelings and problems. It was a really good read overall.
Melissa
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love her book Kassandra and the Wolf so much that this was a bit of a disappointment. But there's something sort of naked about this writing that I really like. I was in it, very much, for the majority of the book, very involved with the characters and the weird relationships and transgressions. And then the big point of view switch! Aaahh!
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it
this book totally messed with my head. watching revolutionary road right after didn't help.
Marina Corban
Jun 15, 2013
Matilda
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Και με το φως του λύκου επανέρχονται
  • Η αγάπη άργησε μια μέρα
  • Hospice
  • Vain Art of the Fugue
  • Τα ψάθινα καπέλα
  • Poetics of Cinema
  • The Box Man
  • Το ταξίδι που λέγαμε...
  • Relating: An Astrological Guide to Living with Others on a Small Planet
  • Astonishments: Selected Poems
Margarita Karapanou (Μαργαρίτα Καραπάνου) was a Greek novelist. She was born in Athens in 1946, the daughter of Greek novelist Margarita Lymberaki. She was raised and educated in Greece and France.
Her novels have been translated into several European languages. Her 1976 novel Η Κασσάνδρα και ο Λύκος (Cassandra and the Wolf) was awarded in the year 1988 in France as the best translated work of fic
More about Margarita Karapanou...