Start by marking “Fairytale of New York” as Want to Read:
Fairytale of New York

Fairytale of New York

Are happy-ever-afters made in Manhattan? Find out in this gorgeous debut, perfect for cold winter nights. Once upon a time an English girl went to New York to live out her very own fairytale! Florist Rosie Duncan's life couldn't be better, she has a flourishing business on New York's Upper West Side and fantastic friends. Moving to Manhattan feels like the best decision sh ...more
Published 2009 by Avon, Harper Collins

Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha AshleyThe Gift by Cecelia AhernThe Night Before Christmas by Scarlett BaileyIt Started With A Kiss by Miranda DickinsonChristmas at the Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan
Christmas Chick Lit
297 books — 423 voters
I Heart New York by Lindsey KelkI Heart Paris by Lindsey KelkI Heart London by Lindsey KelkI Heart Vegas by Lindsey KelkI Heart Hollywood by Lindsey Kelk
Cover Wars
71 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura's Book Addiction
Dec 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
The worst book I have ever read the characters all got on my nerves and made it hard for me to finish this book. The main character Rosie was dull and clueless and the way she called her friends mate all the time was unrealistic and I live in the uk and do not find myself saying that too any one nor do people I know just didn't ring true. Nate was such a dumb jerk and why rosie would want him when he was getting ready to marry another woman is total alien to me. Ed was ok and you could tell he w ...more
Leah
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Rosie Duncan left England six-and-a-half years ago to live in Boston. A short while later something truly awful happened to Rosie which forced her to leave Boston and she ended up in New York. New York quickly captured Rosie’s heart and she found a job at Kowalski’s, a florists, before eventally taking over from Mr K. Along with Ed and Marnie, her assistants at work, and best friend Celia, can Rosie move on from the past or is it about to come crashing down on her?

When I first heard of Fairytale
Evangeline
Mar 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
Reading this book was a highly frustrating experience. Right from the start, we are constantly told that the main character, Rosie, has a big secret, something really bad that happened to her in Boston and led to her moving to New York. Rather than have this spelled out to us like we are stupid, I'm sure it would have been far better for us as readers to figure this out for ourselves, as we surely would have considering that Rosie is portrayed as a very closed-off character right from chapter on ...more
Rea Cobb
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fairytale Of New York is the first book I have read by Miranda Dickinson. If this book is anything to go by, I will be reading more of her books, as I could not put this book down. The book is your typical chic-lit style book but has been beautifully written. With a mixture of romance, drama

**Characters**

Rosie is the main character of the book. She is the boss of Kowalski flower shop but she has closed her heart not letting anyone get close because of her past in Boston.

Ed is Rosie's co-desig
Hannah
The Sweet Bookshelf
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked this book up over the winter. I liked the cover. On the cover it says," Are happily-ever-afters made in Manhattan?" I love me a happily ever after! Sold!

Cute book! I'm happily surprised! It's been awhile since I've read a good chic-lit! Rose owns her own flower shop. How fun! She helps people through flowers. I've always wanted to be a New Yorker. This book really showed me the glitz and glamor of it all in a real way.

Rose has a past, who doesn't! It is just that no one knows about it,
Frenchorchidea
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the second book from Miranda Dickinson I am reading. I loved her last book "Take a look at me now" so so much that I decided to try another book from her. And for that, I picked up her debut novel "Fairytale of New York".

Well.... to be honest I had a hard time to get into the story... I didn't find the writing style very fluid, I was a bit disappointed. But once I hit the second half of the book, the story became more intense and that's when i really started to like the book, to be hook
Debbie
Nov 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First chick lit I've read in ages. Got it in charity book sale. Not good. The main character has a secret that she is v worried that if friends found out they'd think diff of her. Such an anti-climax when you find out. It's also such a predictable book and throws in additional stories about characters, e.g. Her brother, that are superfluous to the story.

As I've not read chick lit in a while I'm wondering if I've just forgotten the simplicity or if this book was just not good??
Pamela
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
2.5 stars. For me, this book is just ok. There were parts that I really liked, but quite a few things that I didn't. It dragged in places and some of the characters weren't very likable.
Sabra
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Sandy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
once i got into the story i enjoyed the book but found that the ending left stuff hanging without any closer.

all round feel good read
Kat
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I will put a review up soon
-------------------------
This was a reread
Amazing, Cosy, a great book for christmas
Claire Dobson
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
A non-taxing bit of chick lit.
Ruth Soz
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novels, chick-lit
I bought this while I was still living in England and feeling nostalgic for the British chick-lit I first discovered as a young adult (this author is British and the protagonist an ex-pat living in NYC). This is definitely not what I was looking for; a very predictable story with characters that took me a long time to warm to. And because ‘that horrible thing that happened in Boston’ was referenced every few pages it became more annoying than intriguing that as the reader I wasn’t let in on the ...more
Luise
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, right from the start you are 'intrigued' by 'the secret of the past'. What happened that it takes more than six years to talk about?

It turns out to generally be an alright choice of mysterious awful past, but regarding the hype leading to its revelation, it was pretty weak. And not really matching.

'I want my current friends to see ME - not the 'me' I was in the past.'

Doesn't really fit with the result. (You'd expect her to have been an awful person herself in the past or something.)

And w
Nina
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Far too many pages and details, and the characters were not my cup of tea. Now i just want a bouquet of roses.
Tanya Vaughn
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was so amazing!!
description
Hats off to Miranda Dickinson for this book. The book was so ace and pleasant. The exact mixture I love to expect in a book. This is the first Miranda Dickinson book I've read and if it is anything to go by, it compelled me to go grab her other books.

"Are happily-ever-afters made in Manhattan?"
description
This one single line on the cover got me, all of me actually. The simplicity and the pure adorableness is another brill aspect that you simply can't pass on.

All through the boo
Justine
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Have had this sitting on my shelf for years, probably since it came out in '09. By looking at other reviews, some people get very invested. However, for me, between juggling a now 4 month old and planning a wedding that is next month, I found it an entertaining chick-lit book. Except the British do not use "mate", the Aussies do. Mate.
Tammy Stewart
May 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
There are not many books I stop reading but unfortunately this one was so boring, frustrating and disappointing that I struggled to even get this far! The characters didn't feel real to me at all and I'm pretty easy to please with even the most basic cliche romance but the writer couldn't even pull that off. I love chick lit books but this just missed the mark! Luckily I only paid $4 for this book in a second hand bookstore. Needless to stay I will not be finishing this book!
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A warm, cozy, easy read. Fairly predictable, but still surprising at times. It does bother me when British writers attempt to write American dialogues; it always sounds so phony in my head. And this is indeed another proclamation of love for NYC - nothing new. But, being a florist myself, I must say that I would kill to work at Kowalski's. That's exactly the type of shop I want, and Rosie is every bit of the florist I would want to be. She reminds me of one of my old mentors.
MetLineReader
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, from-kindle
So apparently I've already read this and gave it 4*. Well I picked it up this week during an intense period at work and am about 35% through - don't remember it at all. So I've either not read it or rated the wrong book or have lost my marbles...

Anyway so far so good. Just what the doctor ordered (apart from more sleep and a week in bed which is just laughable!!)
Kay Wright
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will be honest I don't normally read a lot of romance books unless they are our book club book for the month but wow I was surprised at how easily I fell in love with this and it is a super sweet book and so easy to read. LOVED IT.
Carol W
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great characters in a great setting.
Replace Central Perk with a floristry in New York and you have Rosie and her friends. Life is analysed and decided in Kowalski's Flower Shop.
A fab Rom-com and enjoyable read. Would recommend.
Jenny
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
My least favourite out of Dickinson's books - an ok story, but I thought that the ending was a bit rushed, and the James storyline was a bit boring.

Hannah
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Was only to finish this book due to it being set in New York.
Samantha
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
What a book. My heart is still pounding from the ending!!

I actually read Miranda Dickinsons novel 'I'll Take New York' before reading this one. They contain some of the same characters so when I realised this book was set before the other I bought it straight away as I LOVED 'I'll Take New York' (and rated it 5*!) I was not disappointed.

Miranda Dickinsons dialogue absolutely makes her novels. The witty humour most of her characters possess makes me love each and every one of them. She creates ch
Judith Graham
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh how I loved this book. Miranda Dickinson had me hooked from the very first page, her characters warm and friendly and engaging. They are real people. It’s the story of Rosie Duncan who owns a florist shop in New York. Holding a secret that has hurt her deeply and through her deep friendships with best friends Ed, Marnie and Celia a healing takes place ....
The first Miranda Dickinson novel I read was It Started With a Kiss I loved but this one has surpassed that. Reading this novel started wi
Laura Wallis
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
If you’re going to write a book based on America with American characters then at least look into what words they use and don’t use, it just makes it confusing. Also, Rosie Duncan was probably one of the most infuriating protagonists I’ve ever encountered.
Sandra
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Juanita
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
It seriously went nowhere for 200 pages! The last half was a bit better but seemed to repeat itself so much. There was a big secret mentioned over and over again as if the reader may forget if it didn’t get mentioned every few pages. Not my type of book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Last Christmas
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Winter Wonderland (LoveTravel #10)
  • With Love at Christmas
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • Getting Away with It
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Heaven Sent
  • Home for Christmas
  • The Perfect Christmas
  • The Charm Bracelet
Miranda Dickinson has always had a head full of stories. Coming from a creative family where stories and songs were always present, it was perhaps inevitable that she would end up adoring words. A songwriter for over 15 years, Miranda has successfully penned over thirty songs, delivering both live and recorded performances in a range of venues across the UK and Europe. Her first solo project album ...more
“There are people you know all your life who never really make a difference to who you are; others arrive for a short time and change everything.” 27 likes