Start by marking “Today's Best Maine Fiction” as Want to Read:
Today's Best Maine Fiction

Today's Best Maine Fiction

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  19 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Here Carolyn Chute, Stephen King, Bill Roorbach, Richard Russo, Monica Wood, and nine other stellar Maine writers prove that the state is a superb source of inspiration for fiction. They capture Maine's atmospheric landscape, sharply defined seasons -- and an assortment of unforgettable characters. Originally published as Contemporary Maine Fiction, the paperback edition b ...more
Published July 28th 2008 by Down East Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Today's Best Maine Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Today's Best Maine Fiction

Leah
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Great compilation of short stories. Maine knows how to churn out some excellent writers! I have read embarrassingly few Stephen King novels (read: none), so I enjoyed his short story included here, "The Reach." It was magical and unscary.
Kate Durant
Mar 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Read about 75% of the stories in this book. I don't always enjoy short stories because there is little time for character development. Stephen King has a story in this book titled "The Reach." Very "Storm of the Century" if you are a Stephen King Fan - you will know what I am referencing, however I felt that "The Reach" in "Today's Best Maine Fiction" was really the only standout story. However I may be partial to King's writing.
SEY
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful collection of storytelling by some of Maine's finest from Richard Russo to Stephen King and Carolyn Chute to Richard Ford and many more. A terrific anthology by Maine's leading poet and all around great state literary promoter. He's also just a really nice, entertaining man so he's knows how to pick a good story.
Lori
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of stories by various Maine-based authors, set in Maine. I enjoyed all of them. There is an excellent King story I hadn't read before in here which was like the cherry on top for me. Definetly worth a read, especially if you love Maine like I do.
Donna
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great opportunity to read some Maine authors I am not familiar with..including Stephen King whose books I have never read. At first I thought the stories were all about relationships and love gone bad, good, sour or sweet. Then things got more interesting.
Diane
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: maine-lit
fascinating, and such variety!
Kathleen
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Good range of short story topics. The book is worth it for an amazing story called "Five Tuesdays in Winter" by Lily King. It's a story about longing, hope and grace.
Clare
Oct 22, 2010
Gretchen
Jul 30, 2011
stephen pritchard
rated it did not like it
Dec 04, 2016