Start by marking “Hawksley Burns for Isadora” as Want to Read:
Hawksley Burns for Isadora

Hawksley Burns for Isadora

Quite possibly the coolest thing to come out of Canada. – Time Out This strange blending of prose and poetry is a collection of enigmatic love letters to an elusive object of affection that first appeared in the classified ads of two Toronto newspapers. Stirring curious interest and provoking strong responses, these romantic notes capture one side of a fascinatingly eccent ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by ECW Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hawksley Burns for Isadora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawksley Burns for Isadora

Start your review of Hawksley Burns for Isadora
Jessica
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Hawksley Burns for Isadora was beautiful and haunting. It's a very small book, with strange illustrations (not my favorites, but maybe they're more impressive in their original form, rather than reprinted - it just looks kind of drab on the page), but it takes a long time to read. You have to savor it. You can't just fly through, because a speed-read will render the poetic meaning insensible - you have to digest each letter. I read three or four in a sitting. These are absolutely beautiful, and ...more
Calista
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, poetry, canadian
I didn't absolutely love every poem so I wont give it 5 stars, but, damn, Hawksley, you've pretty much ruined me for any man or woman out there. How much do I wish someone out there was so inspired to write such beautiful love poems to me?
"Let us kiss while spider's tongues twist to taste our toes"
"Can we be wooden wheels splintering on this rocky route?"
"Well let me say this: there looks as if there might be a good reason to melt spoons into bullets, to pull together the armour, or better yet
Writer's Relief
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
As the book jacket states, not quite poetry and not quite prose—but these are love letters written for a woman whom Workman obviously cares deeply and loves passionately. Whether Isadora is real or not, who’s to say? The meaning behind Workman’s words speak enough to his readers. Some of these letters twinkle with nature romanticism, and others dazzle with fruit eroticism. These letters are paired beautifully with the black-and-white feminine images painted by Beverly Workman.
Jess
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's one thing to listen to Hawksley Workman's music, but a totally different and wonderful experience to read his writing. This book was my early introduction to what I guess you could consider prose poetry, but it goes beyond both genres and into something lush that feels like someone is whispering the words into your ear.
lauren
Apr 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone witha a stomach for poetry and an eye for romantic beauty
a book of love letters from hawksley to his mermaid-muse. accompanied by paintings by his mother, beverley hawksley. beautiful beautiful beautiful.

"isadora,
how can you be so patient with me? i will open wide. trust that i will open wide enough to drink you into my guts. how can i be lost in this muck? you've spread your love so fair and true before me..."
Peace
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Occasionally beautiful, but might have been better if it was at all comprehensible.

The artwork was pretty, though.
Jenn
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
sigh.... :)
Royce Vavrek
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
There are many beautiful phrases and ideas in Workman's prose-poetry, but the cumulative effect of his language was lacking for me.
Norb Aikin
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book...one I've read many times before I found Goodreads and recently reread it for an offsite blog entry. His lyrics and poems are no different, full of romantic longing and passion. I've given copies of this book to many friends, as well as copies of his cds, because I admire him that much and think his music and words should be shared and heard by many.
Alexander

• Women & Power: A Manifesto
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Parade
  • When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me