Start by marking “Surviving the Angel of Death: The Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
Surviving the Angel of Death: The Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz

Surviving the Angel of Death: The Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz

Berührend und authentisch – eine der letzten Zeitzeuginnen erzählt

Eva Mozes Kor ist zehn Jahre alt als sie mit ihrer Familie nach Auschwitz verschleppt wird. Während die Eltern und zwei ältere Geschwister in den Gaskammern umkommen, geraten Eva und ihre Zwillingsschwester Miriam in die Hände des KZ-Arztes Mengele, der grausame »Experimente« an den Mädchen durchführt. Für E
Published October 14th 2009 by Tanglewood (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Surviving the Angel of Death, please sign up.
Abby Sign up for NeGalley. Look at the books you might like to read and request a copy. IF ... you meet the author and publisher's requirements, you get a…moreSign up for NeGalley. Look at the books you might like to read and request a copy. IF ... you meet the author and publisher's requirements, you get a copy. You have to write review in exchange for a copy. Hope that works for you(less)
Chelsea Zinck The book Rose Under Fire may be helpful to you. Part of the book addresses the women referred to as "rabbits" who were experimented on at Ravensbruck.…moreThe book Rose Under Fire may be helpful to you. Part of the book addresses the women referred to as "rabbits" who were experimented on at Ravensbruck. (less)

Rebecca McNutt
Josef Megele is quite possibly one of the most sinister figures of WWII, a wolf in sheep's clothing who whistled while he marched and smiled at the children yet saw nothing wrong with using living human beings for horrific experiments. I still believe he was a psychopath who used the Holocaust as an excuse for his evil intentions, but luckily one of his victims survived to tell her own story about what it was like to be a twin in a concentration camp. Her story is not only frightening but also a ...more
☮Karen
All or most World  War II books are depressing, but this one especially so for it being 1) true and 2) about 10 year old twin girls in Auschwitz.  It's a very short book but even so it took me over a week to finish it because I had to get myself in the mood for it between readings.  Well, not that I'm ever in the mood for torture, death, and denizens of evil; but I am absolutely hooked on these books about the Nazis for reasons beyond my control and when it's time for the occasional fix, it's ti ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

Surviving the Angel of Death is the true story of Eva Mozes and her twin sister Miriam and the place where they were raised . . .

Commercial Photography

"At Auschwitz dying was so easy. Surviving was a fulltime job. We gave them our blood, our bodies, our pride, our dignity, and in turn, they let us live one more day."

Eva and Miriam began their life as normal as you or I . . .

Commercial Photography

They were born to a middle-income family in Romania and were doted on
Mike Mullin
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read the first 84 pages in one sitting, then stopped, gasping, to remind myself to breathe. The horrors of Auschwitz weren't the part of this book that most affected me. Instead it was the beginning, in which the Christian villagers slowly turned against Ms. Kor's family, and even her best friend, Luci, joined with the anti-Semites.

But the true genius of this book is the powerful epilogue. My words can't do it justice, so here are a few of Ms. Kor's, "Anger and hate are seeds that germinate wa
Lea ★
I recieved this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review is extremely hard to write, just as this book was exceptionally hard to read.
I've read dozens of book about holocaust and saw dozens of movies on this topic, but this book had a huge impact on me. Right after first few chapters, I had to put it down just to compose myself.
I knew what I was getting myself into, and I've read about Mengele experiments before, but this was very graphic.
Eva Mozes Kor is a survivor
Muthuvel
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If you had five Jews, and you killed three Jews, how many Jews would be left?”

This was what the author found in her math class workbook in her early schooldays living under Nazi régime. The early sweetness, living in harmony before the conquest of Nazis and the Condition of them getting worse and the evolving of the anti-Semitism in the village was pretty depressing. Sure I've had read camp experiences of people more than once but not from a perspective of 10 year old twins'. And i was totally
Dorcas
I was a little worried when I picked up this book. Nazi experiments...children...just no. But something about it made me want to listen. Its a part of the camps we don't hear much about. And in this case, being a twin and therefore a "wanted prisoner" ultimately saved her life. Saved her, while so nearly killing her as well. Let's just say it bought her time. Time in which to fight for survival. And fight she did.

So how does one write a book about Nazi atrocities and make it suitable for YA? Som
BAM The Bibliomaniac
This is the short recitation of the narrator's journey through Auschwitz to forgiveness. I swear I have read a book about her organization, CANDLES, but I cannot locate it on my list. She was only 10 when she and her twin were put through Mengele's experiments. She has little to no memory of what she experienced, what was injected or scanned, but she has a vivid recollection of camp life. This may sound insensitive, but I wish the book has been longer and more detailed.
Kat
I've read a lot of memoirs in the last 10 years written by survivors of the holocaust. Shocking, haunting and enough to make your blood boil, these are unimaginable stories of loss, pain and heartbreak but also inspiring and motivating.

Surviving the Angel of Death is one of the few Holocaust books that I've read aimed primarily at a younger audience, but that doesn't make it any less shocking than accounts that are more adult-focused. In fact, being lived through the eyes of 10-year-old Eva is
Jen
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a quick read, but it was a tough one. It's geared towards young readers, so it's not brutal, but you can read between the lines and what she says is still horrifying.

The entire time I was reading this, I was saying to myself, this is doomed to happen again. We are going to repeat this history.

So depressing book about the evil people can do to others, including to children. Highly recommended for all to read, and hopefully learn from, so it never happens again. Five stars.
Quanti
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doporučím asi spíš někomu, kdo ještě žádnou podobnou literaturu nečetl. Výpověď jednoho z Mengeleových dvojčat je sice děsivá, smutná i dojemná (jako asi všechny případy přežití koncentračního tábora), ale musím přiznat, že například Utekl jsem z Osvětimi mě oslovilo víc.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
Daramegan
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masakr!! Je neskutecne, co dokazi desetilete deti, kdyz jin jde o zivot. Pud sebezachovy je silny a neskutecny! Tohle je kniha, kterou by si mel kazdy precist. A povinne. Je psana jednoduchou formou, rychle se cte, protoze Eva nic neprotahuje. Jde rovnou k veci. Na konci fotky, originalni, u kterych se mi misty zastavoval dech. Perfektne zpracovane.
Katlynn Parsons
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I recieved this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is phenomenal.

I actually put off reading this book a couple of times, mainly because I wasn't really in the mood for depressing subjects. Which was a pretty big mistake because while this is a memoir of an Auschwitz survivor, it is one of the most uplifting and inspirational books I've read in quite a while.

Eva Moses Kor along with her twin sister, witnessed true evil, barely managing to make it out alive. They w
Alissa Haley
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a digital copy of this book!
Wow. I read this book in one sitting. This book is both mesmerising and hard-hitting. Mrs. Kor manages to tell us of her and her sisters horrific experiences in a way that is easy to read for those who aren't educated on what was happening at the time. I am unbelievably saddened by the injustices and cruelty which she and the other prisoners experienced. I thank her for sharing this story of her brav
Toni
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surviving the Angel of Death was a well chronicled and detailed recount of Eva Mozes and her sister Miriam's year and a half spent in Auschwitz. Being twins and part of Dr. Mengele's experiments gave them "special privileges" to keep them alive until their release from the gates of the death camp. Just 10 years old at the time, Eva tells her story in first person and in a somewhat simplistic fashion hoping that young people would read and understand their story. As a young girl she couldn't unde ...more
Lauren Hopkins
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is written a little on the young side so I'm assuming it's meant for young adult readers, but you know what? Young adult readers need to learn about Holocaust stories too, and when confronted by big books with lots of horrifying facts, the task is super daunting. But Eva Mozes Kor brings her personal story to life for younger readers here in a way that isn't exactly RELATABLE, but in a way, it kind of is. You see Eva as more than just a victim of Auschwitz and Mengele but rather as a girl o ...more
Josh Caporale
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a story I am satisfied was told. There is by no means anything satisfying about a diabolically, immoral mad doctor performing deadly experiments on Jewish prisoners during the Holocaust, but it is satisfying that a survivor has stepped forward to tell her story as to what happened. I read Elie Wiesel's "Night" a few months ago and realized that there was a very similar structure: the Jewish people lost respect from others and their rights bit by bit, taken from their homes to secluded co ...more
Andrew
I like the way this book is written in the first person, through the eyes of Eva, as a ten year old. It provides an insight into the torment of those tortured young people. It is a fitting record of what must be one of the worst acts of genocide.

Although this is a short volume, it certainly packs a punch. During the early pages, the way the twins and their parents had so much trust.

"Are they twins?" he asked Mama. She hesitated. "Is that good?" "Yes", said the guard. "They are tins," replied Ma
L.P. Logan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you read and feel so infinitely petty and humbled afterwards; that books like these should be a part of everyone's daily reading.

We have it good.

Perhaps too good.

May we always remember those who have not, and do not have it, as good as we do. So many people have sacrificed so much to allow us to be as free, and as blessed as we are today.
Veronica
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I firmly believe that we should never forget what happened to innocent people including children during the Holocaust so whenever I see a book written by a survivor of the Holocaust, I always read it. It is sometimes very difficult to read about the suffering of people and their loved ones but I feel that I owe it to them to listen to their story.
Eva Mozes Kor, and her twin sister Miriam were only 10 years old when they were taken to Auschwitz with their family and quickly separated from them on
Lisi
Ich klammerte mich an Mamas Hand. Ein SS-Mann rannte vor uns entlang. Er rief auf Deutsch: „Zwillinge! Zwillinge!“ Er stürzte vorbei, blieb dann stehen, kehrte auf dem Absatz um und kam dann zurück. Er baute sich vor uns auf. Seine Augen wanderten zwischen Miriams und meinem Gesicht hin und her und musterten unsere gleich geschnittenen weinroten Kleider. „Sind das Zwillinge?“, fragte er Mama. Sie zögerte. „Ist das gut?“ „Ja.“, sagte der Wachmann. „Sie sind Zwillinge“, antwortete Mama. Ohne ein w ...more
Natalia UN
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O carte mica ca volum, dar enorma ca impact emoțional. Eva Mozes impreuna cu sora ei geamănă au supraviețuit terorii Auschwitzului. Surorile au fost despartite de familia lor, plasate separat impreuna cu alti gemeni pentru experimente medicale. Li se injectau boli pentru a fi supravegheate, sau alte substante pentru a vedea reactia organismului la ele. E strigator la cer cât de mult pot fi discriminati oamenii, câtă cruzime poate fi pe lumea aceasta.
In acelasi timp cartea ne învață să iertam, pr
♛Primadonna♛
★★★★☆ rounded up because the novel went by quickly and was rather short but still managed to pack so much information!

"I hope, in some small way, to send the world a message of forgiveness; a message of peace, a message of hope, a message of healing. Let there be no more wars, no more experiments without informed consent, no more gas chambers, no more bombs, no more hatred, no more killing, no more Auschwitzes."

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book in e
Eloise - BookPolar
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Following twins Eva & Miriam this young adult non-fiction details the child hood of the two children through Auschwitz and there encounters with 'The Angel of Death'.
I found the whole story to be utterly moving and completely inspirational.
It was so gripping and equally as horrifying.
It gives a great accounts of Auschwitz and the grotesque medical experiments the poor girls were forced to endure,
The overall message of the book had an incredible effect on me and although shockingly brutal and
Amy
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surviving the Angel of Death: The Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz is definitely a must read. It is horrifying what the author and her identical twin went through in Auschwitz. The book is short and easy to read (though the contents were hard to read at times).
I highly highly recommend this book.
100 stars
Valentina Christod
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I believe this book is intended for children or teenagers as it introduces the reader to Holocaust terms and realities in a more subtle and simple way. I was personally looking for a book that describes Mengele's practices in great detail and depth, however it is great as an introductory book for young people.
Kahlan23
ďalšia kniha, ktorá je dokladom ľudskej sile prežiť. sile a odvahe dieťaťa vzoprieť sa a prežiť. každá jedná z kníh s touto tématikou ma dostane a ja len skláňam klobúk pred ľuďmi, ktorí to prežili ale aj pred tými, ktorí nie. bo to čo sa dialo v tej dobe sa inak ako zverstvom nedá nazvať.
Amanda Seymour
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I encountered this book while browsing my library’s digital availability, and I’m so glad I did! I recommend this book, the perspective is unique. Eva is a beautiful person and her message of forgiveness is important.
Jamie Suter
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good short read. I believe it was written for a younger audience, but is still interesting. It provides a good brief description of life in the camps and beyond.
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • Triumph of Hope: From Theresienstadt and Auschwitz to Israel
  • Nine Suitcases: A Memoir
  • The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust
  • I Am a Star: Child of the Holocaust
  • Children of the Flames: Dr. Josef Mengele and the Untold Story of the Twins of Auschwitz
  • The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope, and Survival in Theresienstadt
  • The Dentist of Auschwitz: A Memoir
  • The Kingdom of Auschwitz
  • Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz
  • I Was A Doctor In Auschwitz
  • Mengele: The Complete Story
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood
  • Terezin: Voices from the Holocaust
The identical twins Eva Mozes Kor and Miriam Mozes survived the deadly genetic experiments conducted by The Angel of Death, Josef Mengele, in Auschwitz. Their parents, grandparents, two older sisters, uncles, aunts, and cousins were killed ..

The sisters were put through many extremely brutal surgeries and experiments by Mengele, who experimented mainly on twins. Eva later recalled:

"I was given fiv
“At Auschwitz dying was so easy. Surviving was a full time job.” 14 likes
“Every night I had nightmares. I dreamed of rats the size of cats, dead bodies, and needles stuck into me. After we found out that the Nazi's had made soup out of Jewish fat, I dreamed that soap bars spoke to me in the voices of my parents and sisters, asking me, "Why are you washing with us?” 7 likes