Start by marking “Being Smart about Gifted Education: A Guidebook for Educators and Parents (2nd Edition)” as Want to Read:

Written for both parents and educators, the book presents practical strategies to identify and nurture exceptionally high ability in children. These authors promote the "mastery" (rather than the "mystery") model of gifted education and challenge several common practices and assumptions. They assert that if children are to learn optimally, teachers must provide them with ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Anodyne, Inc. DBA Great Potential Press, Inc. (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Being Smart about Gifted Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Smart about Gifted Education

Start your review of Being Smart about Gifted Education: A Guidebook for Educators and Parents (2nd Edition)
Robin Spano
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read non-fiction, but when my mother (Dona Matthews) writes it, I sure do.

This book is great for teachers who want to understand "gifted" kids. (I think it was mandatory reading for gifted education teachers in New York City...I'm sure my mom will read this and tell me if I'm wrong.) It's also won all kinds of awards in its category.

It's a good read for parents who have exceptionally intelligent kids. It explores how to encourage curiosity and learning while keeping the kid
Altaix
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a very practical book for parents, perhaps more useful information for educators. Plenty of bullet points on what "might" be useful, peppered with few stories but really not much good advice that cannot be found from public sources.
Amy Rhoda  Brown
I found this to be an easier read than Growing Up Gifted Developing the Potential of Children at Home and at School, which makes sense since it's written for a lay audience, whereas the other book is a textbook. Being Smart is a clear introduction to the major issues to do with giftedness: assessment, meeting the needs of gifted children, different education options, emotional and family concerns, and so on.

The most valuable idea in this book is the distinction between what the authors call the
Dawn
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This was recommended reading when we were exploring gifted testing and gifted education options for one of our daughters. While we have not had testing done at this point, I find this book very useful. I think the best bits of advice applies no matter if the child is gifted or not - be an involved parent, advocate for your child, explore educational options outside of the classroom, and let the child's interests shine!
Mike
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid book for those that are new to the topic of giftedness. It covered a substantial amount of topics at a pretty high-level but seldom dove into the details in enough depth for me to say "I get it". I'm happy I read it but still feel the need to explore further in the same category.
Dona Matthews
Jul 21, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
perhaps one ought not to rate one's own books quite so highly as this, but i did want to add this to 'my books' and i do think it is quite a good book
Melissa
Jun 11, 2014
Carole
Aug 13, 2010
Joanne Foster
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Stephen Warren
Feb 07, 2013
Carole
Aug 13, 2010
Dona Matthews
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Gifted &
May 01, 2017
Melanie
Sep 14, 2011

• ABCs of Raising Smarter Kids: Hundreds of Ways to Inspire Your Child
Dona Matthews, PhD, is a developmental psychologist who has worked with children, families, and schools since 1990. In addition to running a private practice with a focus on giftedness and other special needs, she was Executive Director, Millennium Dialogue on Early Child Development, University of Toronto, and founding Director, Hunter College Center for Gifted Studies and Education, City ...more