Start by marking “Get High Now (without drugs)” as Want to Read:
Get High Now (without drugs)

Get High Now (without drugs)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Get High Now is an illustrated, mind-blowing magic carpet ride of more than 175 ways to alter human perception and consciousnesswithout drugs or alcohol. Culled from science, physiology, spiritual practices, and the audio visual arts, these "all natural" highs playfully and safely explore the mind-body connection to entertaining and illuminating effect. Accessible and well ...more
Published September 9th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Get High Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get High Now

Ross
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Came across this book while researching yoga breathing techniques (some offhand comment in a blog). Thought it would be interesting, and I was not let down.

Witty commentary and fun exploration of the various ways that people have intentionally, inadvertently or through illusions, confused the brain. The title is a solid piece of clever marketing. Really, though, its not so much about getting high, but about the different ways the mind and body interact to cause various feelings of joy or confusi
Kelly Head
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Despite the suggestive title, this book is actually about a lot more than just getting high without drugs. The introduction describes the author's discovery of an eccentric uncle's notebooks filled with recipes for getting high on everything from kava to breathing techniques to catnip to colored noise. In that sense, it's about humanity passing down information about the human condition, in all its manifest weirdness. Ancient traditions and new scientific discoveries about the nature of the mind ...more
John
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Get High Now: Without Drugs Get High Now* is an interesting book, but it's hard to recommend to everyone. At it's most basic level, this book is a How To guide on altering mental perception. Generally, the book has two kinds of Highs in it. Boring ways that you should actually try, like breathing exercises and meditation, and interesting ways that you should never try because it's extremely dangerous like taking nutmeg (never consume large quantities of nutmeg. It will mess you up.) If you are i ...more
Stef
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Calling the majority of the things/experiments/illusions in this book "highs" is a bit of a stretch. The term "high" as it's used here is murky if not extremely liberal--it appears to be anything that temporarily drags your attention away from your daily routine. I can imagine that being a part of HighLab, the group testing out the safer stuff (e.g., meditating as opposed to eating large quantities of nutmeg), was a fun way to get some friends together; I could see myself enjoying this way more ...more
Chayne
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a really interesting book that talks about ways you can get high without the use of illegal drugs. They cover topics such as self-hypnosis, licking toads, lucid dreaming, taking all kinds of different herbs and spices, and even have little "get high now" experiments. One of the funniest, is closing your eyes in the shower, allowing the water drops to splash against your eyelids, creating a kaleidoscopic reverie of colors. I haven't really tried much of what they suggest, but it's still s ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
May 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is a book filled with optical illusions, audio stimulants and others theories I had not tested out. It is one of those books that would take someone a lifetime to get through, if they do each stimulant individually. I only did a few.
My favorite was a popular one, off Page 162 - Chronosynclastic Infundibulum. It was pretty cool to do.
I think all scientific minds will appreciate this read, but not many others. I suggest checking out the website, then the book.
(2.5/5)
Emily Harrington
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not bad. I bought it purely for fun, and it has provided me with entertainment worth what I spent, so no complaints. Most of the exercises in the book won't actually get you high, just provide you with heightened or slightly distorted senses for a period of time. A few of the breath exercises were quite interesting, and really gave me a new sense of how connected we are to our breathing-whether we realize it or not.
John Gentry
Nov 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: guide-books, science
look call me crazy but when I bought this book I anticipated being able to get high now (without drugs). instead I was told old wives tales, and given instructions for various tricks of the mind involving patterns both visual and audio. so basically I was pretty damn disappointed. and no matter how many times I try picking it back up that disappointment never leaves. 1star.
James Goeke
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting and short "chapters". No hocus pocus new agey clap trap. It merely explains the techniques and the "why" they might work for you. So far a single beer will alter me more than nay of the techniques....but I don't need the calories. They are probably like anything else....you need to practice them before they will work.
Angie
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting, maybe not as in depth as I would have expected. The information is a bit watered down and most of it I already knew about. It's trying a little too hard to be "hip", but luckily I didn't spend any money on it and found it at the library instead.
Elizabeth Olson
May 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
The "get high" refers to the perception altering effects of this entertaining collection of optical illusions, brain twisters, logic problems, and mind blowers. Best ingested in small doses. Reading straight through is a bad trip (headache inducing).
Emily A.
Aug 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
The website has some cool auditory effects, but the book itself is mostly shallow.
Anna Schmidt
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
There are a number of great meditations, breath work exercises, and optical & auditory illusions in this book. However, the author's pseudo-witty, sarcastic tone is annoying as hell.
Dana Jerman
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think I'll always keep this book on my shelf, because its better than parlour games- its science with friends and trancendental visualizations!
Ian
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
seems gimicky at first glance but this is really a handbook for seeing the world in new ways. I have tried quite a few of these exercises and almost all of them deliver.
Adam
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great primer on how to play around with your mind-body.
Michael
Phyllis Le Chat
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Team-high love him is so hot it took 1 1 May 23, 2015 03:18AM
  • The Mentalist's Handbook: An Explorer's Guide to Astral, Spirit, and Psychic Worlds
  • Ich weiss, was du denkst. Das Geheimnis, Gedanken zu lesen
  • Astonish Yourself: 101 Experiments in the Philosophy of Everyday Life
  • The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection
  • Get Even: The Complete Book of Dirty Tricks
  • The Three-Pound Enigma: The Human Brain and the Quest to Unlock Its Mysteries
  • Sneakier Uses for Everyday Things: How to Turn a Calculator into a Metal Detector etc.
  • Joy's Way, A Map for the Transformational Journey: An Introduction to the Potentials for Healing with Body Energies
  • Power Spellcraft for Life: The Art of Crafting and Casting for Positive Change
  • Smothered in Hugs: Essays, Interviews, Feedback, and Obituaries