Start by marking “Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)

Chromosome 6

(Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery #3)

Behind the headlines on cloning—Dr. Robin Cook blends fact with fiction in one of his most terrifying bestsellers....

Chromosome 6 is a prophetic thriller that challenges the medical ethics of genetic manipulation and cloning in the jungles of equatorial Africa, where one mistake could bridge the gap between man and ape—and forever change the genetic map of our existence...
Published April 1st 1998 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chromosome 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chromosome 6

Start your review of Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
Exina
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Interesting topic, exciting storyline. Not my favorite by Cook though. It was okay.
Mansuriah Hassan
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is the third medical thriller series of Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. The author Robin Cook is a physician and writer. For those who believe that science and technology can radically change the world for good, this is sort of an eye-opener. The story line starts a bit slow, then becomes quite intriguing in the middle and then leads up to a rather unsatisfactory finish.

Cook develops two parallel and intersecting plots about scientists in Equatorial Guinea who are frantically exp
Arys
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book has its pros and cons.

Pros: To anyone who loves the applications of biotechnology to medical fields, and its ethical implications, this book provides a good plot personally, I feel it leaves the reader with the idea that the ethics of such research and practical genetic applications are very real.

Cons: The plot. I mean, in the beginning, I liked how the plot builds in both storylines, and I liked how the story progressed. But the whole idea that a medical examiner from New York would m
Nothing
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this in a day, slowish start but picked up. I didn't connect to the characters though, except for Warren. I love his friendship with Jack.
The ending was incredibly unsatisfactory though. Maybe the numerous unanswered questions are answered in a later Robin Cook novel?

++(SPOILER ALERT AHEAD)++

You never learn what happened with GenSys, or Kevin, Melanie or Candace. Like... cool, they don't die. But what DO they do? Did Kevin end up hooking up with one of them? (Both?) What happens when Tayl
Jayesh Bhoot
The book starts off with a promising premise of a doctor worrying about his ethically horrifying invention in a darker, deserted part of Africa. Parallel to it, the two famous pathologists - Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery - work on an intriguing, but almost clueless murder of a mobster. These two parallel story lines unfold neatly, intertwining the characters in the process.

Though the investigation of the two pathologists was awesome, it also faltered the pace of the story. Cook stuffed an
Austin George
I read Chromosome 6 for the first time way back in 2005. I re-read this book after 17 years as I always felt nostalgic about this book from my childhood. I had all but forgotten the story except I had a vague recollection of the book being about bonobos and the story oscillating between New York city and the country named Equatorial Guinea in West Africa.

When I was a kid this was a 5 star book. I thought it would turn out to be a 5 star book for me again as an adult. Turns out that it's more of
Christina Stathopoulos
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Robin Cook and I really enjoyed it! It is very suspenseful and draws you in well with his style of writing. The book is set between New York City and Equatorial Guinea, following along a story via the perspective of various characters. At first, it took me a little while to get into the book and understand the different characters involved, but I eventually caught on and really enjoyed the story. If you like the idea of a thriller mixed with biomedicine + genetics, then ...more
Austin George
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book way back during my school days and I thoroughly enjoyed it at that time. One of my all time favourite novels. More than 15 years later, I no longer remember the story. So I intend to read this book again at some point. I can vaguely recall that the novel dealt with topics like DNA, genetics, bonobos etc and some parts of the story were set in Equatorial Guinea, a small and relatively less known African country.
John Beta
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This had my on the edge the whole time with a story of murder, mafia, DNA manipulation, jungle adventure, etc. HOWEVER, what the hell happened to the ending? It was like riding a roller coaster and then the damn thing broke down near the end. I still like this author and will read more, but this ending, or lack thereof was like he realized it was getting a bit long and decided to end the story as economically as possible. Thus, my 3 stars vs. 4.
Austin Mccarthy
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Summary:Chromosome 6 takes place in two totally different main settings. There is a medical office in New York City, but there is also a medical research center, Gensys, in the town of Cogo, Equatorial Guinea, Africa. In this research facility, the scientist are expierimenting with the extraction of the short arm of chromosome six. After extracting the short arm of chromosome six, they would insert it into a bonobo, a ape-like creature that is like humans (DNA wise). This process is used for org ...more
Tanaya Deshmukh
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my first Robin Cook Book. I had heard about it from my father who has read many of his books. One of my friends, being a Robin Cook fan, suggested me to start with this one. I loved the book, the story was fast-paced and I felt like I was on an adventure ride filled with fun and excitement. The book has two medical examiner's Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. I loved how the women were such badasses in this one. There were points in this book where my heart stopped beating, thinking ...more
Roberta
Feb 21, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutto-cook
Back to the morgue, back to Jack Stapleton's shenanigans.
This time he has a sort of twin in the Equatorial Guinea. With "twin" I mean there is an American doctor in Africa who suddenly has an ethical crisis over his work, a crisis that turns him from a laboratory nerd into an action hero. Of course their paths meet, they work together toward the happy ending and live happily everafter, despite the unresolved legal and ethical questions.
Namra
Oct 23, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5⭐

"Chromosome 6" by Robin Cook is a medical thriller that's really interesting & is kind of an eye opener. Science knows no limits & humans (idk why) just do not understand that they gotta stop at some time cuz if they don't, the consequences would leave them regretting their decisions. From this book you get to see how selfish humans are & how far they'll go just for their own sakes & none of it is actually false. If we look around us today, we see cryogenics, genetically modified organisms,
Kim
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Medical ethics, cloning, evil corporate entities - what's not to love :o) ...more
Tory
Aug 05, 2022 rated it liked it
This was another random thrift store book. I didn’t realize this was part of a series, and things make a lot more sense now, ha!

It was pretty good. I was surprised how relevant it still seems considering it was written 20+ years ago and there’s quite a bit of science involved. I guess questionable medical ethics is a tale as old as time!
Shabbeer Hassan
I had always enjoyed Robin Cook's books, but then I gave up on him. His books just got so repetitive and predictable. So it's been a long time, but I decided to give Chromosome 6 a try. This book seemed a bit harder-edged than the other Cook books I'd read, with a very serious theme, and a respectful look at the relevant issues.

There are two related stories going on. One takes place in New York, where a mobster's death takes a strange turn during the autopsy. The investigators stumble onto a rea
Kitty
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This was actually a re-read for me. Kevin Marshall is a molecular biologist working in Equatorial Guinea. He is able to manipulate Chromosome 6 of bonobos (ape-like creatures) and replace with human DNA. This allows for humans to create their own organ donors (bonobos) and then the organs are harvested when needed. GenSys is funding this project and they don't really appear to be evil...but their on-site managers are greedy and will do anything to keep the lucrative project going. When Kevin see ...more
Ali Hassan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jim C
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Another medical drama with the characters of Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. This is a stand alone novel. I wavered between three and 4 stars on this book. It is a nice story which brings up moral questions about the advancement of science. There were a couple of scenarios that I thought were a little bit of a stretch and this is the reason I wavered with my rating. I did enjoy the story and this book is worth a read.
Shruthi
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
This fast paced thriller by Robin Cook featuring jack and laurie is my first book in the series. I was quite impressed how the author has woven the story despite the fact that this book being quite technical. I would definitely recommend this book to people as the story is gripping and really interesting. have a look at the glossary behind or have a biology dictionary nearby before you start the book !!! ...more
Sheila
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Robin Cook tells us that we shouldn't fool with Mother Nature. There is always just enough possibility in what he is writing about to make you think that yes, somewhere in a lab somewhere, someone is trying to do just this. This one is genetics gone awry.

I have read a lot of Dr. Cook's novels but Coma is still my favorite.
Rosemary
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A typical and somewhat predictable thriller and almost science fiction, but with a difference. It is medical research and an evil multinational pitted against those with principles. And of course, those marvellous bonobos. Much of it is set in AFrica with steaming jungles and exotic non-western settings.
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this medical thriller Cook returns us to the characters who work in the NYC morgue. They share the scene with characters at a research complex on the west coast of Africa. In non-stop action, the two stories converge with a harrowing climax. I found the African part totally fascinating.
Supriya
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Chromosome 6 was one of the earliest Si Fi books I read. Robin Cook has done an excellent job here! The very idea of gene transplant which as hitherto a boring chapter in Science text books was suddenly cool and awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book!!
Diana
A thrilling page turner. With a riveting mix of murder, mystery, medical, adventure, action, gangland and science, this book will draw you in and then add a surprising take on genetic engineering that would put any ethics committee in a tizzy.
The Girl with the Sagittarius Tattoo
Read for extra credit in my Anthropology class. Good story.
Kimberly Orr
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Took forever to get started. Jack and Laurie's involvement was a surprise. Writing is so stilted... ...more
Nivedita Karthik
Jun 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
The third in the Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery series, this story follows our intrepid medical examiners as they try to find the mysterious cause of a death brought to their office.
The parallel occurrence of a storyline in Equatorial Guinea is equally well done.
And, of course, there is a link between the two.
The medical/legal end of the story is brilliantly developed as are the biotechnological and genetic aspects (what else to expect from a book with the title chromosome!).
This story p
Patrick Scheele
I did like the mysteries Jack and Laurie were trying to solve. They were appropriately perplexing. But not for the reader! We learn almost immediately what is going on, because we also follow this Kevin guy who knows all about it. So, don't read this book if you like to be kept in the dark as much as the investigators are.

I wasn't particularly fond of the whole "apes with a tiny bit of human DNA are people too" storyline. It was preachy, unbelievably cold that they cared more about the apes than
Varun Varanasy
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Been a while since I read anything out of order, but I enjoyed reading this book and piecing together past events. Since I hadn't read the first 2 books, I saw Laurie as this ex-protagonist of "her own series," and I had an entertaining time piecing together everyone's characters. I especially enjoyed painting the sceneries in my mind. Some parts were pretty funky though, with Melanie & Candace popping into Kevin's life; it was a little iffy for me in the beginning, but I got used to it. I somet ...more
Has anyone read this author? 4 8 Dec 25, 2019 08:29AM
Chromosome 6 1 8 Oct 18, 2015 01:22PM

• Critical Judgment
  • Silent Treatment
  • Resistant (Dr. Lou Welcome, #3)
  • Natural Causes
  • The Patient
  • The Last Surgeon
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • Bark to the Future (Chet and Bernie, #13)
  • The Sisterhood
  • Icebound
  • The Coyotes of Carthage
  • Side Effects
  • Big Driver
  • Whispers
  • Fatal
  • Dollar Bahu
  • Deep Sleep (Devin Gray, #1)
  • Oath of Office (Dr. Lou Welcome, #1)
See top shelves…
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri

Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)
  • Marker (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #5)
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)
  • Pandemic (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #11)

News & Interviews