Start by marking “Flowers from the Storm” as Want to Read:
Flowers from the Storm

Flowers from the Storm

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  13,616 ratings  ·  1,424 reviews

The Duke of Jervaulx was brilliant and dangerous. Considered dissolute, reckless, and extravagant, he was transparently referred to as the ′D of J′ in scandal sheets, where he and his various exploits featured with frequency. But sometimes the most womanising rake can be irresistible, and even his most casual attentions fascinated the sheltered Maddy Timms, quiet daughter

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Flowers from the Storm, please sign up.
Elf Ahearn A romance you're really going to love is Mary Jo Putney's The Rake. He's as tortured as Jervaulx and every inch as sexy.…moreA romance you're really going to love is Mary Jo Putney's The Rake. He's as tortured as Jervaulx and every inch as sexy.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Toni Creo que sí, son contratados o por lo menos alertados por su cuñados porque querían controlar su dinero y quizás su título si establecerían que el no …moreCreo que sí, son contratados o por lo menos alertados por su cuñados porque querían controlar su dinero y quizás su título si establecerían que el no fuera capaz. (less)

·  13,616 ratings  ·  1,424 reviews

Start your review of Flowers from the Storm
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers who want more than fluff.
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: MashJ

I'm going to start with a warning - this is probably the worse review I've ever written because of how deeply, how emotionally I connected with the hero. My review is a cheesy, rambling, hot mess, so read at your own risk.

With any book I read, I hope to connect with the hero and heroine, to feel what it is the author is trying to convey. Well, I didn’t have to try hard at all with this story, and no matter how many times I’ve attempted to write this review, I find myself in tears. And, as odd
Duchess Nicole

“God forgive, Jervaulx - that I sh'd love thee."
"That I should love thee.

Out of all of the Historical romances I’ve read, this is the one that stands out as the most unconventional of them all. What a brave author to have tackled this subject, and what a remarkably insightful, tender way to do it.

~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`
MY SYNOPSIS:
Archimedea Timms is a Friend…a Quaker…a quiet, devoutly religious and pious woman who grew up in that lifestyle. She knows no other
K.
Aug 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Kinsale’s “Flowers From the Storm”
(From my thread discussion topic post “ on Amazon’s “Historical Romance Forum” sometime around Feb. ‘09 (unchanged))

Mo
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite

5 Maddygirl stars.

I loved this one. Tortured hero, innocent heroine, Society, expectations, fear, love, hate, tears, laughter ...

The Duke of Jervaulx was brilliant - and dangerous. Considered dissolute, reckless, and extravagant, he was transparently referred to as the "D of J" in scandal sheets. But sometimes the most womanizing rakehell can be irresistible, and even his most causal attentions fascinated the sheltered Maddy Timms.

Then one fateful day she receives the shocking news - the du
Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful)
Flowers From The Storm, by Laura Kinsale: 5 Perfect Stars

* Quiet
* Forthright
* Spiritual

And a Quaker.

“Prim and decent, chaste, careful, loyal, moderately brave in some things, a lion in a few, and when he touched her, she fluttered—nice feminine flutter, modesty and passion.” ~ Christian Langland, the Duke of Jervaulx

description

* Damaged
* Tortured
* Extravagant
* Rakish
* Devious
* Hedonistic

And, a nobleman.

“He was the Devil looking at her out of gentian eyes. It’s easy t
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HR romance connoisseurs
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Dhestiny kept nudging me to read this sooner!
Approximately twenty-eight years ago, a young girl picked up a book from her mother's box of books out of boredom. Her life was changed. Ever since then, her favorite type of book has been historical romance. She has read a lot of it. There have been many that she has enjoyed. But some books just stand out. This is one of them.

Because of how much I liked this book, this is a very long review. I apologize if you don't like long reviews. The short of it is I loved this book very much. If you want
Ingie
Written January 14, 2015

5 Stars - It had it all - A stunning AMAZING epic story

Who dare to start an 19 hours long audiobook? I heard the rumors that in this case there was a great male narrator (Nicholas Boulton) doing this historical romance even better.

And, was it worth it?
Well, I didn't need more than a few minutes to know this would be an fantastic adventure to take part in. There are for sure a lot of heart stopping moments and I cried, yelled and lost my breath more than once. — But gosh,
Julio Genao
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: Alexis Hall
Shelves: to-review
remarkable.

deliciously dark and somewhat in my black-hearted sweet spot. love me a humbled bad-boy, and love to hate a puritanical idiot unable to resist the promise of an orgasm.

and jesu—what an orgasm.

about the most erotic hetero love scene i can ever remember reading.
Jean
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, I really did. The premise sounded great and it received rave reviews. As a work of fiction it was brave, detailed and uncompromising in its depiction of characters who were true polar opposites falling in love. I liked the stark depiction of the Victorian asylum, the inadequacy of health services and rehabilitation, the constant jockeying of mercenary relatives, and political manoeuvring of the upper classes. However, for me, as a romance it failed. I found Christian ...more
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

It's official - this is my favorite story, ever!

I first read Flowers from the Storm in 2009 and fell in love with Christian and his Maddygirl from their very first words on the page, but it's such an emotional story that I couldn't bring myself to read it again, though I thought of it often. That said, when my sweet friend, Lady Wesley, raved about the amazing narration given this story by Nicholas Boulton, I just had to give it a listen.

And I am so, so glad that I did!

Honestly, I can't even beg
Eastofoz
Bithi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so intriguing - yes, I am describing a romance novel as intriguing - from the beginning to the end. Because, the plot changes so quickly that it is hard to tell what is going to happen next.

I have really loved the character of Christian. He is not the totally dashing and perfect hero of the most historical romance novels. His imperfection makes him human.

(view spoiler)
Erika
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who are interested in thought-provoking romance
The more we love a book, the harder it is to write the review, right? I have to, with this one. This is not, by any means, an average romance book. It's the kind of romance which I would recommend to those who think romance books have so little to offer. The book is so much more than two people from two different world who break all the rules, find their way to each other, and live HEA. From a woman's perspective, I say this book was too sad, too sweet, too emotionally intense. It's an epic love ...more
Kathleen
Slowly the realization came to her. "He isn't mad. He is maddened."

4.5 stars.
The Saint and the Sinner. The Pilgrim's Progress. Paradise Lost and Found. This one is DEFINITELY on my favorites shelf, despite some quibbles. I've read it numerous times. I've considered keeping a copy stashed in the bathroom. More recently, I listened to Nicholas Boulton's wondrous narration.

Try my quiz! https://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/res...

Contents: Several sex scenes, somewhat explicit. Some swearing and pr
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
5 Maddygirl Stars!!!!!!

I've read quite a few historicals, but none like this one. I don't think I've ever highlighted a book so much. The Duke of Jervaulx is dissolute, reckless, extravagant, a gambler, a womanizer, a rakehell. It's a few hundred years ago and during this time they did not know what we know today. That a stroke can seriously change a life for the worse. Jervaulx went from being a scandalous duke to a raging madmen, a maniac, hidden away from society. Except he was none of those
Felicia
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did NOT want to read this book, I mean, a Quaker chick?! A dude who can't speak?! Bleck!

Well, this is a hot mess of awesome, everything but the kitchen sink is thrown into this dense plot, but in a GOOD way! Characters are great, plot very taunt and gripping (not talking about the sex scenes either, HAR HAR ;) ) I enjoyed it thoroughly and have several other books by the author on my Kindle, including Shadow and the Star, a Victorian romance where the guy is a child prostitution survivor and a
Lady Wesley
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone in the entire world
The sympathetic hero more than makes up for the annoying Quaker heroine.

The above was my snippy one-line review from three years ago. Since then, I've reread this book, and listened to the incomparable audiobook, and I declare that FFTS is one of the best historical romances ever. Laura Kinsale is in a class by herself.
Karen
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

With no rule but love between us...

Wow. This one blew me away. LOVED every painful, blissful, second of it.

I want to go back and read it again, and again. Romance perfection is all I can say. There were so many amazing quotes and tender moments, I wanted to highlight the entire book. The writing was brilliant. I have nothing bad to say about this book.

I also want to thank my lovely friend Lisa for lending me her book, and her ear, and her now drenched shoulder to cry on, as
Caz
I’ve put off writing this review for a couple of weeks. Partly because I’ve been a bit busy and wanted to take the time to do it justice, and partly because it’s such an emotionally complex story that I felt a bit drained after listening to it and needed to have all my braincell (!) in gear in order to be able to think straight!
Even now, I’m not sure that’s the case, but here goes.

As with my reviews for The Prince of Midnight and Midsummer Moon, the short version of this review is “It’s absolute
MomToKippy
I don't always read books with bare chested macho men on the cover, but when I do I read Laura Kinsale...

This book has a number of covers without such a picture but just my luck when I swapped for this book and received the bare-chested-man-hair blowing-in-the-wind edition! So it took me a while to start this assuming it might be cheesy. Perhaps the publishers do a disservice to the literary merit of this work by using such covers?

Anyway, the writing in this book is just overflowing with image
Emmy
Sep 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: Unpopular opinion time

I'm sorry, I have to call it at 38%. I really wanted to love this. Regency era. Man with a disability has to learn to overcome it with the help of a woman and they fall in love in the process. So much potential. But there was so much wrong with the execution.

So, let's recap the first 38% (mild spoilers). Christian, Duke of Jevaulx, starts in bed with a married woman he got pregnant. And he tells her to sleep with her husband so he thinks it's his. -_- Great start
Karla

5 Stars!! Brilliant and emotionally draining!

photo b4fa5e5c-0bf4-42c6-b2ea-50858ed83310_zpskmyya5mk.jpg

There are so many great reviews for Flowers from the Storm, namely one from UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick, who was the friend who recommended this book to me, so I’m not going to get too much into the story, just read her review . Thanks for the rec Dhes, I loved it!

I will say this though, it's a profound story, and while it surrounds tragic circumstances at its core, it's also amusing, passionate, sensual and hopeful. A truly unique opposites
Misfit
Oh, how to review this and not say something that's been said 100 times by all the other reviewers?

The powerful, brilliant and oh-so-sexy The Duke of Jervaulx has a stroke of sorts, but his family thinks he's lost his mind and shuts him away for his own good - and no one to believe he's not insane and dangerous - until Quaker Maddy Tims comes to Blythedale to help her uncle.

"She lifted her head. He wasn’t a two-year-old. He had not lost his reason. He isn’t mad; he is maddened."

That's about a
Krista (Miura Haruma-san, I will always miss you)
This would have been five stars, if not for Maddie and her obsession with her religion. She started out more open minded, then became less so, which I found strange, since she was supposedly growing more in love with Christian the farther along in the book. Sometimes she's also a little too mean for my liking...I just felt so bad for Christian, I wanted to protect him and put him in this little bubble of safety. I seriously felt his pain as if it were my own.

This is one the most UNIQUE romance
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Ah, this book would have been perfect had I not had to wade through page after page after page of Maddy's self-righteous, holier-than-thou bullshit.

I loathed her with the fire of a thousand suns.
Bill
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On Amazon, K asked me why I thought this book was romantic. She doesn't. this was my reply:

I have been thinking about this for a few days. At first I thought isn't this like trying to describe why chocolate cake tastes good. But that is a sensation. Identifying a book as romantic is a mental process, so I ought to be able to do this.

I don't think we are debating whether FFTS is a romance. Its focus is the love between two people and it has a HEA ending. That makes it a romance. It does have othe
Jan
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
**** 4.5 Stars ****
TJ
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the PERFECT example of the old cliche' "you can't judge a book by its cover". I was confused by the effusive praise for this story, thinking it just another dime store romance... judging by the cover. Never has that cliche hit home so strongly as when I started reading. Ms. Kinsale has taken an ordinary historical and completely turned it into a deep and riveting story with a richness seldom seen in this genre. In fact, I think the publishers have done a huge injustice to such a fin ...more
Zoe
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
OK I admit, I have not finished reading the book. I am about 70% done. I stopped reading it a few months ago.

But let's face it: I am not going back to this book.

I started reading this book with high hopes. All the great reviews, the seemingly intriguing plots, one tortured hero and one kind heroine.

I must say that this book is written very well. The writing quality is not to be slighted. What puts me off in the story are the following 4 things:

1. Not enough romance: this is a romance novel,
Dina
Feb 05, 2009 marked it as to-avoid  ·  review of another edition
From K. @ Ami:
'I recently finished reading "Flowers from the Storm" by Laura Kinsale. This is a well-loved book by many and remains high on the "keeper" shelves out there. So how come I can't figure out why so many people fell in love with this couple? I just don't get it. I found the book to be "all suffering, all the time" (i.e. an over-abundance of serious issues and long drawn out angst).

A brief synop.: [SPOILER - BUT IT'S THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE NOVEL!:] The hero begins the story (litera
Historical Romanc...: BOTM - March, 2018 - Flowers from the Storm 99 67 Mar 31, 2018 09:36AM
Goodreads Librari...: Correcting ISBN? 10 40 Aug 19, 2014 10:45AM
Buddy Read Zone: Flowers From the Storm 58 68 Mar 10, 2014 09:27AM
Romance Readers R...: Buddy Read: FAC - Flowers From The Storm 18 44 Sep 28, 2013 06:04AM

• Circa Now
  • Sway
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • Yours Until Dawn
  • Strawberry Girl
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Horseradish
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy, #1)
  • A Yellow Raft in Blue Water
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)
  • Supernova: Ksatria, Puteri, dan Bintang Jatuh
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
Laura Kinsale is a New York Times bestselling author and both winner and multiple nominee for the Best Book of the Year award given by the Romance Writers of America.

She become a romance writer after six years as a geologist--a career which consisted of getting out of bed in the middle of the night and driving hundreds of miles alone across west Texas to sit drilling rigs, wear a hard hat, and at

News & Interviews

“The baby closed its mouth, staring at him with hope and small hiccups.

“Jesus,” he said. He lay down on the bed, pulling the pillow under his head, and drew the whole bundle of coat, shawl and infant up against his shirt. A tiny hand closed tight on the lace. One sob erupted, and then changed midbreath to a soft sigh.

Women, he thought sardonically, sinking in the bedclothes, with sleep revolving and closing in his head. He moved one finger, feeling a cheek as soft as down.

What’s your name?

Ask the girl. Remember that…

Maddy…

It was wrong. I must leave thee now.

Don’t cry. Don’t cry, little girl… I’m so tired. I never deserved you, did I? Maddy… but I loved you.

I always loved you.”