Start by marking “Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest” as Want to Read:
Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest

Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest (Smart Pop)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  881 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
The quirky world of Stars Hollow and the incredible relationship of the Gilmore Girls—mother Lorelai and daughter Rory are best friends—continues to engage viewers after seven seasons, with its lightning-fast dialogue, dry wit, and unusual take on family relations. In this satirical yet sensitive collection of essays, leading writers weigh in on how this unique show has su
Published May 1st 2007 by Smart Pop (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Coffee at Luke's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee at Luke's

Keris
Dec 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book since I wanted to have an essay in it and they turned me down - Me! Don't they know who I am? Ahem - but, at the same time, American TV show Gilmore Girls is one of my total obsessions. In fact, I'm watching it in the corner of my screen as I'm writing this ("The Festival of Living Art" from season 4, in case you're interested).

Plus the book is edited by Jennifer Crusie and we do love Ms Crusie here at Trashionista. Like other SmartPop books including This I
Kaethe
Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest - Jennifer Crusie  work library has it. Trying to get it downloaded onto a device I can read it on. So much aggravation.
I have it on my phone, now. W00t! If I can get it on my Kindle I will be a very happy person for about 5 minutes, until something else comes along to annoy me. Fingers crossed. I wanted the Fire specifically to be able to take advantage of the extensive work elibrary.
Now I've run into problems getting the sundry devices on
Brittany Nelson
First of all, I was dead set on giving this book only two stars, but the truth is that the essays got better as I got further into it, so I'm giving it three. The problems I had with this book is that several of the essayists referred to themselves about a million times in the essay. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. Another problem I had was obviously the fact-checking--not to mention one essayists called Max Medina unattractive (really?)). And some of the essays were just poorly developed, I could write bet ...more
Elise
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some authors contradict themselves--there's nothing to draw people to Stars Hollow so the Dragonfly would close, but the same author loves the Stars Hollow Museum and dioramas. AKA an attraction. One author called out Jess Marino. Who?? It's Mariano! Someone else mentioned Goober Pyle of Mayberry. I assume she meant Gomer Pyle. What kind of fans are these ladies to miss basic information!

And the "gabfest" in the title. Are Gilmore Girl fans incapable of having a discussion or analysis? In the gl
Keirstan
The Gilmore Girls edition of the Smart Pop culture analysis series is a fantastic read for any fan of the WB/CW's beloved series. Split into thematic sections, each academic/super fan scrutinizes a particular element of the show and offers up well thought out commentary.

Most compelling are the stories that delve into the complicated-but-ideal relationship between series stars Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. Jennifer Armstrong, in "No Boys Allowed" confirms that the female leads have constructed a life
Chelsea
There are some interesting viewpoints and takes on Gilmore Girls in Coffee at Luke's. There are essays considering the mathematical presence of father figures in Rory's life (no, really), the contention that the Girls are really just a latter-day screwball comedy, a guy's perspective on what food means within the Gilmore verse (a lot, naturally), and (my favorite) a passionate defense of Emily Gilmore, the third and oft-ignored Girl. I'm an Emily fan, and I think she was one of the most complex ...more
Julie Ehlers
It gets one star for the premise, one for being readable, and one for the cover, which I like. But ultimately I think this book did not live up to its promise. Don't expect to find the wit of the Gilmore Girls series in these pages.
Melee
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect fix for my post-Gilmore Girls blues! (My mother and I finished watching the seventh and last season last week. We started Season 1 in late May and from then on filled our summer days with Gilmore-goodness.)

All the essays were interesting and brought up points and nuances of Gilmore Girls I had never considered before. I didn't always agree with the different views, but I just read them in the light of devil's advocate.

Actually, while this book did help with my missing of Gil
Beth
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book because of the editor and because of the subject matter, but I was disappointed. While some of the essays were thought-provoking (hence the two stars), too many of them felt thrown together, poorly thought out, and had little substance. My sense was the authors were big fans and wanted to contribute to the book but ultimately didn't have anything fresh to say. Several essays (particularly in the first half of the book) seem to simply summarize elements of the show ...more
Kristin
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed some of these essays more than others. My favorites were the one about Kirk, the one about Rory's three father figures, the list of Stars Hollow businesses and how likely they'd be to survive in the real world, the one about Rory and books, and the one about connections with classic movies. Most of the essays had a definite liberal leaning, which bugged me but didn't surprise me (the show itself is the same way, right?). Anyway, it made me want to pick up where I left off with rewatchi ...more
Denise
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revisiting the Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls should be a wonderful trip down memory lane. Analyzing every aspect of it's being is not. Viewers of Gilmore Girls expect witty humor. They will not find much in this book.
Erin
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: december-2014
If you are a Gilmore Girls fan, this is a book for you! Some of the essays were great, some were just ok, but overall it was a really fun read. This series has a Buffy book that I'm dying to check out now.
Preethi
I love Luke. I love Lorelai. I love Emily. I absolutely love Gilmore Girls. So I obviously loved this book.

Many of the essays can be easily skipped, but this is a good feel-good book for Gilmore Girls fans.
Samantha
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Often more insightful than I was expecting, Coffee at Luke's is the perfect cup of comfort for Gilmore Girls fans who miss those weekly Tuesday night trips to Stars Hollow.

Although some of the essayists' conclusions feel a bit of a stretch, many of the chapters illuminate story patterns and symbols that add resonance to the show's portrayals of many subjects, including teen romance and single parenthood. My favorite chapters analyzed the symbolism of food and books in the lives of the titular Gi
Inês
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Oy with the poodles already!"

Okay, first of all I'm obsessed with Gilmore Girls. I discovered the show way way after the 7th season ended, but in a week I watched the entire 7 seasons. By that you can imagine how much I love this show.
I love Lorelai. I adore Rory. Luke is such a great guy! Emily is, well, Emily! Jess is every girl dream of a bad-boy/geek boyfriend (geek because of the books..). And Logan, how I love him! (Yes! I'm on team Logan, and sometimes team Jess) Oh and Kirk! And Miss P
Nicole
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this because I am desperate to read some thoughtful analysis of one of my favourite television shows. Alas, this is not the book for it. Many of the essays are under-developed, and the first half of the book is kind of a slog. My favourite essay creates an imaginary classic screwball comedy of Gilmore Girls and I have to say that Bringing Up Baby Katharine Hepburn is on point Lorelai Gilmore. But then it makes some unnecessary claims, like being unable to find any Asian actors o ...more
Amy
Dec 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a collection of essays on Gilmore Girls, varying a lot in the degree of scholarliness and entertainment value. I mostly enjoyed getting reminded of older episodes that I haven't seen for a lot time. I really did not like Stephanie Lehmann's essay on the mother-daughter relationship between Lorelai and Rory. She got Rory's ages throughout the series wrong, and if she can't be bothered to get a detail like that right, why trust any of her other assertions. Plus, she bases her whole argume ...more
Vanessa
"Gilmore Girls" is my favorite tv show of all times, so I'm obviously interested in anything about it. In this book, we find a compilation of essays discussing the characters and their relationships. The authors also tell a bit about their personal experiences, showing how regular people can relate to this fictional world.

Some were really interesting, but others were just boring and had a few mistakes. I mean, nothing big, just some misspelled names... But still, when you write a book for passi
Erin
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, semi-serious/semi-comedic group of essays of which I enjoyed about half in this compilation, especially the essays by Gregory Stevenson about food being a starring character in Gilmore Girls and a love letter from writer Heather Swain to Kirk with her undying love. Jennifer Crusie added her own flavor with an introduction and a glossary of pop cultural, literary, and historical references she defines and includes personal comments on.
Amy
May 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of great critques of Gilmore Girls. Some of them I didn't agree with, but for the most part I really liked what they had to say. I loved the essay that talked about all the literary references to the show and how for once the script wasn't dumbed down for the audience. I also loved the rips on the Aerie girls. I recommend this book for fans of the show and for those who love reading critical approaches to literature.
Beth Gordon
Going into this book, I was expecting a more behind the scenes look into the Gilmore Girls. Although I was disappointed that I didn't get that, I tried not to let that sway my review.

This a collection of essays about the Gilmore Girls. Alas, a weird mix of repetition of plot points and oddities ensues. A few things are flat-out wrong, which make me question the super fans that wrote the essays. A few essays are thought-provoking, and others are completely missable.

Rachel C.
My mom and I used to watch this show. She would turn to me and say, "We're just like the Gilmore Girls!" We're really not, but happy early Mother's Day, Moo.

[Postscript May 2017: I just watched the reunion, "A Year in the Life," and cried BUCKETS. Man, this show really was a part of my life back then. It was like seeing beloved old friends again.]
Beth
Aug 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John
It's nice to know that there are others out there like me--those who, when having a bad day, think that just watching 10 minutes of Gilmore Girls will bring them back to some sort of sane place. When there is Gilmore Girls, I know all is right with the world. At least for that hour.
Abbey
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this back in middle school and loved it, and j found it did not disappoint this time around either! Very fun, loving tributes and analyses of the Gilmore world. Perfect for any Gilly (as the Guys calls us
Melissa Radke
Eh this was okay a collection of stories from different authors/writers about their opinions on Gilmore Girls. I read a few that were good, but some were bad. Its completely unauthorized and said so like five times on the covers. I'll just stick to watching the show.
Sharon Helfrich
Some of the stories are better than others. Reads like a term paper about Gilmore Girls in some parts.
Ali
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Gilmore Girls fan and this book is like a lot of anthologies - a few good ones, most are okay and a couple are terrible.
Olivia Gordon
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read! Particularly enjoyed the essays "No Boys Allowed" and "And That Folks Is What You Get For Making Whoopie" - definitely recommend for any Gilmore Girls fan.
Lisa Lomasney
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any fan of GG will enjoy this collection of essays considering the larger themes portrayed by the inhabitants of Stars Hollow.
Jessica
Not what I expected, it is a compilation of personal essays on The Gilmore Girls - some were fantastic some were a bit boring
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars
  • Alias Assumed: Sex, Lies and SD-6
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars'
  • The Gilmore Girls Companion
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity: Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series
  • The Other Side of Summer (Gilmore Girls, #4)
  • I Love You, You Idiot (Gilmore Girls, #2)
  • I Do, Don't I? (Gilmore Girls, #3)
  • Getting Lost: Survival, Baggage, and Starting Over in J. J. Abrams' Lost (Smart Pop series)
  • Buffy Goes Dark: Essays on the Final Two Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Television
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Boarding the Enterprise: Transporters, Tribbles, And the Vulcan Death Grip in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek
  • The Psychology of the Simpsons: D'oh! (Psychology of Popular Culture series)
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • This Is Chick-lit
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...

Smart Pop (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Alias Assumed: Sex, Lies and SD-6
  • The Anthology at the End of the Universe: Leading Science Fiction Authors on Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City (Smart Pop Series)
  • The Battle for Azeroth: Adventure, Alliance, And Addiction Insights into the World of Warcraft
  • Farscape Forever! Sex, Drugs and Killer Muppets
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Grey's Anatomy 101: Seattle Grace, Unauthorized
  • Halo Effect: An Unauthorized Look at the Most Successful Video Game of All Time

“Lane and Zack got hitched. So while it might not be very punk rock to be too young to drink legally at your own wedding, it’s certainly handy to have the thumbs up from God to get laid.” 5 likes
“Luke is the father of the heart, Richard is the father of the mind, and Christopher is the father of the body.” 4 likes