Start by marking “Coral Castle: The Mystery of Ed Leedskalnin and His American Stonehenge” as Want to Read:
Coral Castle: The Mystery of Ed Leedskalnin and His American Stonehenge

Coral Castle: The Mystery of Ed Leedskalnin and His American Stonehenge

Coral Castle is the first book to take a journalistic look at one of America's most intriguing placesCoral Castle, located in Homestead, Florida. Working alone with primitive tools, a Latvian immigrant named Edward Leedskalnin quarried, carved, and set in place more than 1,100 tons of coral rock, creating what is commonly known as the American Stonehenge. How he ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Clerisy Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Coral Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coral Castle

Start your review of Coral Castle: The Mystery of Ed Leedskalnin and His American Stonehenge
Anna
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book about the Coral Castle in Florida and the man who built it. It does make you wonder how he managed to build suck a complex by himself. Will definitely read again.
Simon
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When we visited Coral Castle last week our excellent tour guide gave a very detailed summary of the main points also outlined in this book, but this is still essential reading for anyone whose imagination has been sparked by the story of Ed and his impressive and mysterious construction.
The book does a lot of work establishing the reliability of certain historical sources, and also tours the various more or less outlandish theories (ALIENS!) about how it was done, without getting into too much
Daren Doucet
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book about an amazing man that only came to light to me, through some relatives who were in that area just a few years ago.

How did he lift those massive Florida stone rocks into place. The gate, which weights many tonnes, could be swung with the gentleness of a finger.

Truly this man was genius, but only his worldly views are quite disturbing, in a brief description of a booklet he published way back when.

This book is good, but I only wished the author would have gone into more detail about
Daniel  Reed
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Amazing comprehensive look at this South Florida wonder. There are all these strange theories about how Ed Leedskalnin built Coral Castle. Did he really uncover the building secrets of the ancient Egyptians or harness the powers of anti-gravity, etc.

In any case, a very intersting read and an excellent overview of all of the theories surrounding Ed Leedskalnin's monument to lost love.
Ian Hamilton
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent read about Leedskalnin's bizarre creation. When I visited the castle in person last month, it seemed a little absurd and kitschy, but the mystery behind the place is undeniably interesting. This book was a nice supplement to what I gleaned from the tour. I don't buy into the theories of magic powers or otherworldly intervention; rather I think this man was an adept and masterful mason who had lots of time, sufficient labor assistance, and a strange vision.
Brian Cheshire
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's a great "journalist" interpretation....from propaganda to fact..research and science are only missing every part.....but u can't sell what u can't bottle or see....( I read that in an article in a magazine)
Mark Miller
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Many of the popular tourist destinations in Florida have never appealed to an introverted guy like me enough as to motivate a desire to one day visit them. Coral Castle, I discovered, is quite the exception.

How an overwhelming work of art, built solely by a small and simple man of a poor and foreign background, managed to stay under the radar of (what I like to think) an educated adult like myself, prior to reading this work, is almost as much a mystery to me as the origin stories surrounding
Mana
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very interesting to learn about the life of skilled stonemason Ed Leedskalnin, who built his own castle out of the heaviest limestone/coral rocks that weigh tons and tons. He orginally built this for his "sweet sixteen", he really put his heart and soul into building this modern day stonehenge.I first found out about Ed and his Rock Gate Park (later renamed "Coral Castle")in a documentary about mysterious structures and the question relating to each one, how were they built? Could Ed have ...more
✨ Gramy ✨
This book portrays facts about the Coral Castle, an interesting and intriguing place of history located in Homestead, Florida. Edward Leedskalnin, Latvian immigrant, was an eccentric engineer and stone mason who worked alone with primitive tools to quarry, carve, and set more than 1,100 tons of coral rock into his stonehenge creation. The authors interviewed experts and researched the validity of the possibility of one man being able to accomplish this feat on his own.

As a Floridian, I could
J Crossley
i found this book very interesting. It talked about Ed Leedskalnin's history, his immigration to America, and the stone estate that he created. He was supposedly able to move huge masses of stone with a pulley system because he was able to harness the magnetic powers of the earth.
Michaela Nastasia
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
The documented and factual account of Edward Leedskalnin. This book explains the theories of how he moved giant slabs of coral rock but does not come to any conclusions. Good background info for following books.
Charles
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably the best factual book on the Coral Castle, but it's still unpolished. There a many spelling errors and it has a number of contradictions. If there's a revised version, I'd expect it to be much better.
Kritina
This was a quick fun read about a very mysterious guy and a place I'd like to visit.
Maharishi

• The Sacred Science: An Ancient Healing Path for the Modern World
  • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
  • Disappearing Earth
  • People of the Lie: The Hope for Healing Human Evil
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse on the Essence of Jewish Existence and Belief
  • God Hidden, Whereabouts Unknown: An Essay on the 'Contraction' of God in Different Jewish Paradigms
  • The Zohar: Pritzker Edition, Volume One
  • Personal Kabbalah: 32 Paths to Inner Peace and Life Purpose
  • Vasistha's Yoga
  • In Some Lost Place: The first ascent of Nanga Parbat’s Mazeno Ridge
  • Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival
Rusty McCLure, is the New York Times bestselling author of Crosley, Cincinnatus, and Coral Castle.

He has a Master of Divinity degree from Emory university and a Harvard MBA.

An advisor and investor in numerous entrepreneurial projects, Rusty teaches the entrepreneurial course at his undergraduate alma mater, Ohio Wesleyan university.

He is the son of Ellen Crosley McClure, daughter of Lewis Crosley