Start by marking “Eine neue Ära (Star Trek: Titan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eine neue Ära (Star Trek: Titan, #1)

Eine neue Ära

(Star Trek: Titan #1)

Der Anfang einer neuen Star Trek-Odyssee

Nach fast einem Jahrzehnt voller Kämpfe gegen solche Feinde wie die Borg, die Cardassianer, die Klingonen und das Dominion, befindet sich die Vereinigte Föderation der Planeten am Beginn einer neuen Ära. Die Sternenflotte erneuert ihre Mission der friedlichen Erforschung, Diplomatie und der Erweiterung des Wissens. Unter den Raumschi
Published November 2008 by Amigo Grafik (cross cult) (first published April 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Eine neue Ära, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eine neue Ära

Start your review of Eine neue Ära (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
Paul Bowler
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I feel weird giving a book I enjoyed only three stars. I enjoyed it so much I already bought the sequel. I'm going to have a great deal of fun reading the entire series. One of the pluses to Star Trek books is that the writer can absolutely go to town on alien species. A movie or tv series is much more limited in this regard.

The reason I gave it only three stars is that I cannot imagine ever recommending this book to anyone who isn't already wholly in love with Star Trek. I don't think this boo
William Johnson
Star Trek books are both the ultimate comfort food and the epitome of a specific genre that refuses to die. One reason why Star Trek needed to get rebooted right in the ass was because it couldn't adapt to the changing times. I'm not sure if it was just pure stupidity (I'm looking at you Rick Berman) or if the creators just wanted to keep the Roddenberry vision alive and in tact (which is why, coupled with stupidity, the producers seemed to bail on the most innovative Star Trek series Deep Space ...more
C.T. Phipps
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, William T. Riker. For those of us who grew up on Star Trek: The Next Generation, William Riker was awesome. One of the big mistakes studios made about the Wesley Crusher character was assuming that kids would identify with the fourteen-year-old awkward youth on the Enterprise-D. Wrong. Ask any actual child who their favorite character was and it would be Worf, Riker, or Data. That's because kids don't ever want to identify with other kids unless they're Johnny Quest. Even then, the majority ...more
The Mustache Louie Matos
This is a book explicitly, but not exclusively for Star Trek fans. I practically inhaled this book. At the time of its writing, there were three next generation Star Trek shows from which to draw from. Next Generation was making movies, Deep Space Nine was wrapping up, and so was Voyager. Let’s not forget that Spock was still alive and striving for Unification with the Romulans. Star Trek Titan took elements from each of those shows – characters, alien races, unresolved plot lines -- and decided ...more
Dylan
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for a first book in an ongoing series. Glad to see the continuation of what happened to the "real" Trek universe after that last movie (Nemesis). Which, i had to look up a lot, because i didn't like it and haven't seen it since it was in theaters (and i refuse to even acknowledge the abrams films). I can't believe i forgot that Data died... jeeze. (that really shouldn't be a spoiler to anyone, given how old that movie is. But it comes up quite a bit in the book, so if you didn't know bef ...more
Michael
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, abandoned
I gave up on this one before I got halfway through.

Before beginning the book I saw some negative reviews complaining about how PC and diversity-conscious this book was. I brushed them off. Diversity has deliberately been a big component of Trek for a long time.

But no, the negative reviews were exactly right. The authors are much more interested in talking about the Titan's incredibly diverse crew than they are in telling the story the book is supposedly about. The species of each crew member is
Sean Kennedy
(2.5 / 5)

This book suffers from a lot of flaws within the 'pilot story' syndrome, and this is exacerbated by the fact they seemed to have split it over two books and you need to read #2 to find out what happens. I don't know if the cliffhanger is going to be an ongoing part of the story, but as I was already struggling with this first book it may just prove to be annoying.

I wanted to enjoy this more than I did. But I felt a lot of plot and characterisation was cut to make way for authors salivat
Martin Milhomme
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-picks
Easily a five. If they made this into a series, I would watch every week. Amazing!
John Cipolla
Wasn't a bad start. I can see how he is mingling the new crew with his hand picks from Enterprise. It will be exciting to see how they develop. The story was about unification.
Derkanus
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Titan: Taking Wing by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin Unfortunately, the only review I can offer right now is the German one I wrote for the Austrian Star Trek-newsgroup back in 2005.

Basically, I find the premise of Titan quite intriguing, I'm cautiously optimistic about the crew, quite a few very interesting and likeable characters mixed with others I don't particularly care about. The plot suffers a bit because of the concentration on the characters, though... When all is said and
Christopher
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chuck
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
While the prose was passable at best and there were a few moments that lagged in the middle, this story was surprisingly interesting. It strikes a good balance between familiar characters in Trek and new ones, while continuing on in a direction that still seems far more interesting than anything that's happened in the post-Nemesis movies.

I've started and stopped several Trek novels in the last few weeks. Most suffer from trying to emulate the format of the show in that they quickly introduce a c
Arco
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, titan, 2018
In this first book in the Titan series, newly appointed captain Riker and his crew are ordered to go to Romulus to broker a peace between a number of Romulan factions and the Remans. This book takes place immediately after the events in Nemesis. It is actually good to see Nemesis before reading this novel, because a number of Romulan characters from that movie pop up in this book.

As mentioned in other reviews this book functions as a pilot of sorts and as such suffers a bit from too many charact
Eric
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It felt like Star Trek, but it was much too slow to start. For the first 100 or so pages, not much happens other than introducing us to all the new characters (of which there are too many to keep track of). In fact, I was relieved when **spoiler alert** some of them end up dying....one less person for me to keep track of. I have seen every piece of Star Trek media out there, yet even I could not keep track of all the difference alien races mentioned in this book.

The author also relies much too m
Stephen Pastran
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has two things I love. Riker as Captain, and predominantly humanoid/non-humanoid alien species serving on the ship. In the wake of the events in Star Trek: Nemesis, Captain Riker's mission of exploration is shoved aside when Admiral Akaar assigns Riker to head to Romulus at the Praetor's request as part of a diplomatic/humanitarian convoy. With the Romulans more vulnerable than ever, the Titan crew have to make sure the conflict between Romulans and Remans doesn't turn into war.

Ever s
Michael Hanscom
Captain Riker’s first assignment post-_Nemesis_, dealing a lot with the political aftermath within the Romulan Empire of Shinzon’s rise to and near-immediate fall from power. Deals well with the likely after effects of such a situation while also introducing Riker’s new ship and crew.

Also, quite coincidentally, in many ways a sequel to the last Trek novel I read, _The Sundered_, with several direct ties, and by the same authors. I didn’t even realize it was the same authors until I finished, an
Kai Knetsch
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I was a bit hesitant to read this because of all the new crew/characters. But it was recommended to read this before Articles of the Federation, so I read it. I was pleasantly surprised. I like Martin's writing style. I thought he had a bigger vocabulary than most Star Trek writers. The part about the Remans, Romulans, and Klingons preparing for war was really exciting. He introduces a lot of interesting characters too and kind of set things up for the series. I also re ...more
Dan
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, titan
While I enjoyed Taking Wing the first time around years ago, I found myself enjoying it even more this time. The Romulan political story was fascinating, and I discovered much more to like about it reading it now. I also really love the crew of the Titan, and find the diverse species to be interesting and compelling to learn more about. I'm looking forward at making my way through the Titan series again as well as the other books that make up the post-Nemesis continuity!

Full review: https://www.
Christopher
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will Riker's Guide to the Galaxy

Really surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Definitely written with a lot of love for Trek; it picks up directly after the end of the events of Star Trek Nemesis. It's nice to see a lot of characters from TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager continue their adventures in this story. Some great character development of the new characters as well. I particularly enjoyed the idea of the character Dr Ree; hopefully get to see more of his character in future novels! If you'r
Tyler
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
An engaging continuation of the A Time To... Series and a good set-up for the conflict in the Alpha Quadrant following Nemesis. The authors spend a decent amount of time establishing the diverse crew, which was enjoyable world-building. However, the last chapter, setting up what comes next, had me rolling my eyes, especially because of a character they'd just brought on board. No spoilers, but it truly made me say: again?!
Whistling Chris
If this weren't a Star Trek book, I'd have to rate it even lower. As it is, it is mildly interesting to find out about Riker and his new ship... but a quick read of Wikipedia would be just as entertaining.

Much like the famous 'not another f***ing elf' remark by one of Tolkien's fellow Inklings, this novel had me exclaiming 'not another f***ing non-descript alien race!' Really - how many alien races with little to no description can you put on one crew?
Bret Hammond
It’s been a long time since I’ve read a Star Trek novel. I’ve been intrigued by this series for a while. Good story and a nice follow up to Nemesis. However the world-building was a little overwhelming. Lots of character introductions, hitting way too fast with way too many variables. Also, references to incidents that must have been in other novels made me feel like I was missing out on several plot points.

I liked it, but I doubt I’ll be continuing in the series.
John Mosman
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
After seeing Riker on Star Trek: Picard, I wondered what happened to the character after Next Gen. Well, he is the captain of the Starship Titan. So I thought I would start this series. Taking Wing is Capt. Riker's first mission and a doozy, trying to stop the destruction of Romulus. Spock, Tuvok, Troi...the band is back together. Fun read. And what was the Dominion War about, huh?
TK
I love the crew of Titan so much! Creating a ship full of so many different species and cultures is the best Star Trek can offer. The book suffers a bit in terms of the political plot- some of the inner workings of the Neutral Zone can get overwhelming but the characters themselves are strong enough to pull this book through. Also! So happy to see Melora Pazlar back!
Martin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Titan picks up after Star Trek: Nemesis with Riker being put in charge of his own ship and sent off to sort out the Romulan political situation. It has certain over tones of The Undiscovered Country which is no bad thing.
Bobby
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is an okay start but relies far too heavily on characters from The Lost Era series, a series I have not read. I thought this would be a continuation of Riker's story, not this. It's a bummer that now I am unlikely to get a good continuation of Riker's story.
Kevin Valdes
The book is the beginning of a 9 book series. Character tropes swing heavy and predictable plot drives the story nearly to the end. If you enjoyed the series and Nemesis, this is a good way to continue the good old times. Just don’t expect anything thought provoking.
Victor Chambers
Titan

It’s a Star Trek novel with a lot of known characters. It’s entertaining if you enjoy Star Trek. This focuses on the political affects of a crippled Romulan government. Factions are vying for power and Riker is assigned to negotiate peace.
Erik M
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
3.5/5

A solid start to the new series, if a little aimless at times. It has a lot to set up, and does a workmanlike job. There's plenty to like to bring you back for book 2.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
ReadingTrek : Share your thoughts 1 2 Sep 12, 2018 12:39PM

• Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Articles of the Federation (Star Trek)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #2)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Greater Than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: A Time to... #4)
  • Collateral Damage
  • Destiny: The Complete Saga: Gods of Night, Mere Mortals, and Lost Souls (Star Trek)
  • A Time to Love (Star Trek: A Time to... #5)
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: A Time to... #3)
Michael A. Martin's solo short fiction has appeared in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. He has also coauthored (with Andy Mangels) several Star Trek comics for Marvel and Wildstorm and numerous Star Trek novels and eBooks, including the USA Today bestseller Titan: Book One: Taking Wing; Titan: Book Two: The Red King; the Sy Fy Genre Award-winning Star Trek: Worlds of Deep Space 9 Book Tw ...more

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War

News & Interviews

“The only nonhumanoid scientist present at the Blue Table, astrophysicist Se’al Cethente Qas was also the one that Dakal found the most disquieting—though not for the reasons some of the crew seemed to be reacting to Dr. Ree or the other nonhumanoids aboard Titan, none of whom bothered Dakal at all. What troubled him was the fact that Dr. Cethente looked suspiciously like a lamp that had once belonged to Dakal’s paternal grandmother back on Prime. Cethente was a Syrath, whose exoskeletal body had the same fluted quality that was prevalent in Cardassian design. The astrophysicist was shaped, in fact, a great deal like a three-dimensional sculpture of the symbol of the Union: a high dome on top, tapering downward almost to a point before bottoming out in a diamond formation that Dakal knew was the Syrath secondary sense cluster. Like the primary cluster that was the dome, the diamond was dotted with bioluminescent bulges, glowing with the telltale green light of its senses at work, soaking up information about its environment omnidirectionally. Four slender, intricately jointed arachnid legs extended in four directions from the body’s narrowest point, giving Cethente a solid footing on the deck, while an equal number of tentacles emerged at need from equidistant apertures just under the dome. In repose, and with its tentacles retracted, Cethente seemed quite the inanimate object. But to Dakal, the doctor looked so much like the lamp in his grandmother’s dwelling—and which had so consistently unnerved him as a child—that after first being introduced to it, Dakal briefly suspected the Federation of having sent a Syrath operative to spy on his grandmother.” 0 likes