Start by marking “The Journal of Mortifying Moments: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Journal of Mortifying Moments: A Novel

The Journal of Mortifying Moments: A Novel

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  648 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Kerry Spence is unfulfilled by her soulless career in advertising, disappointed by her dysfunctional relationship, and horrified by the ever-increasing size of her ass. Ever since her gorgeous, self-absorbed boyfriend Sam demoted her to late night hook-up status, she has fortified herself with prime-time TV and blissful binges on cream cheese frosting, awaiting an epiphany ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Journal of Mortifying Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal of Mortifying Moments

Jasmine
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-read
If I could, I'd rate this a 3.5. Not something I'd necessarily read again, but definitely something I enjoyed while it lasted.

Harding's portrayal of Kerry, the main character with insecurities both in her social life and the workplace, reminds me exactly how befuddling people of my gender can be, haha. ^^; Though I had my fair share moments of shaking my head at Kerry because of her wild breakouts of paranoia, I loved watching Kerry slowly realize that things in her life wouldn't be pieced toget
N
I’m not usually a chicklit reader and it’s very rare that I pick these kinds of books. But I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. This book was really funny and so fresh. I found myself laughing out loud all through the book. Kerry’s character was so funny and so very normal. All the way through story I was reading funny parts from the book to my husband who could not stop laughing too.

What a pleasant read this book was. If you have lost interest in reading just go and pick th
Ilona
Mar 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on, humour, 2014
Oh, good lord. I conscientiously read every page up to the beginning of chapter 16 (page 136) before I decided I simply couldn't stand another minute of the vapid Kerry Spence. Would she never grow up?

Initially, I thought the premise of the story was that, through keeping a journal of her 'mortifying moments' (failed relationships with men), Kerry would develop the self-awareness necessary to have a successful relationship, successful friendships, a successful career.

Wrong.

Though I read every wo
Burd
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who needs a good laugh
Shelves: fiction, humour
I usually don't read this sort of light, humorous chic lit novel...Really, I don't. But you know, I gotta admit I found myself laughing out loud many times reading this little rhinestone gem. Sometimes I was in public places. I nearly busted a gut in the waiting room at the dentist's office. Talk about mortifying moments!

The main character Kerry Spence has a unique way of looking at herself and others. She sees the absurdity of little everyday things that others seem to accept as normal behavior
Celeste
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bridget Jones' Diary was a hilarious book. The Journal of Mortifying Moments is an unfortunate attempt to write the same story, in Seattle and sans hilarity. Sorry excuse of a love life? Check. Too much drinking? Check. Girlfriends plus the obligatory gay male friend? Check. Sappy ending involving great guy and new job? CHECK. Funny stuff? Funny... where's the funny? I guess there were a few funny moments. That's why I gave it two stars instead of one.
Tara
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This had all the ingredients for a good chick lit novel, but for some reason, it didn't quite all come together. I can't put my finger on it, but it just didn't engage me the way I expected it to.
Jody Dysinger
3.5 stars I enjoyed this book, there were times I laughed out loud and really enjoyed main character, Kerry Spence. I enjoyed the premise of the book.
Lanie
Well this was an ordeal. :(

Look, I know I'm not exactly the target audience here, being only 20 asexual with no interest in dating or getting married or sex in general. Plus reading mostly fantasy, science & historical fiction, & manga doesn't give me a good knowledge of the genre to compare this book to.

But I like to think that I know a good book if I read it, no matter what. Even if the book is clearly geared toward bored housewives in their 30s & 40s or desperate cat ladies and
Michele
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book and quick read. I would definitely recommend this as a plane ride/road trip/doctor's office wait book - highly immersive novel.

Some of the immersivity created by this novel comes from the straightforward writing, some from the character, and some from the humor in the book. Together, they produce a really pleasant and fun read. I found myself trying not to laugh aloud at times (because it would've been pretty embarassing) and although I've never really been in the situation that the sin
Kimbie
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
For me this is an important book since it gave me the will and enthousiasm I needed to start reading books again. I used to read books more often when I was younger but when you start getting busy, you think reading a book takes so much of your attention, you can't find the time.

So one day when I was in the library looking around, I noticed an interesting title which made me take the book. I actually already began reading the book in the library and taking it home with me almost finished.

It made
Odile
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
For a girl who hates everything chick-lit, chick-flicks (gah! ew...) I read this book in one sitting and enjoyed all of it. I was kind of in a crisis of reading boring school books and decided I needed something light and refreshing, and I got what I got with this one. I love Kerry so much, she is so relatable and hilarious! I laughed out loud throughout the whole thing! I just wish that there would be a bit more story at the end. The ending felt like a closure ending, but I just wanted a bit mo ...more
Savannah
While not the most original book on the shelves The Journal of Mortifying Moments is actually a great read! This book was funny and cute; there were moments I couldn't help but laugh out loud. Kerry was so down to earth and was written to be loved by all. She is sweet,funny, clumsy and to be honest a bit of a mess. The scenarios she has gone through in her mortifying romantic endeavors are all exactly that.... mortifying!
This was a good light relaxing read that anone with a sense of humour woul
Kelly11
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book... it was so funny! The main character has to go back and relive her most "mortifying" moments in order to get closure and move on in her life. The descriptions are very vivid and humorous...the author takes you back in to the 80's when the main character grew up...scrunchies, bad perms, and great cheesy music..kinda reminded me a little bit of the movie "13 Going On 30." Loved this book! Hope she writes some more books...
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Reminiscent of Sophie Kinsella, this is a silly, fun book about a woman who seeks mental health counseling to explore her patterns in her relationships, which are less than ideal. It's a bit funny and quirky but this is really nothing more than a fun book to read while you're lounging near a pool. Totally predictable romcom that you can already see the ending coming at you by the first chapter.
Karla
Dec 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, funny, a good read. But I found it a little unbelievable. The main character, Kerry, is supposed to have self-esteem issues (leading her to keep a journal of mortifying moments). But so many times in the book she does things that I don't think someone with her level of self-esteem problems would do. I don't think the author had a good hold on who her main character really was.
Jamie Pfammatter
Light, cute & hilarious! Perfect escape book. The humor was witty and sarcastic and the main character likable for the most part. My only complaint with Kerry was that she cried at least once per chapter but to be fair it was often justified. Would recommend to those with a good sense of humor, who enjoy chick lit with a little more fun and a little less mushy romance!
Willette Williams
I loved it. The idea that Kerry knew she had flaws with relationships so went to counsling and as a suggestion as part of her treatment tookbto journaling. she remembered and wrote down the things she trully wanted to forget. What was the result...read this book to find out and it may just aid in helping you.
Lisa
The chick lit book was probably my favorite of the fluffy chick lit titles I read for my genre titles. After a bad break-up twenty-something Kerry Spence goes to see a therapist who asks her to keep a journal of her past relationships. It turns into a hilarious journal of mortifying moments. This book made me laugh out loud at times. It was a lot of fun.
Kourtney
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
On one hand this story is predictable and the main character, Kerry, was a bit naive at times (most times). On the other hand Kerry had me laughing out loud and wondering if I should journal my own mortifying moments! This is an easy "beach read" that brought a smile to my face. I'm glad I got to share in Kerry's life, and know better than to ever drape scarves over lights next to candles!
María Vega-Tiru
I found this book during one of my trips to Montreal - and the title alone made me feel like I could've written it. I read it, and whiile it wasn't precisely the story of my life, I loved it - it kept me in stiches and was such a easy read. I have since lost the book - but would love to re-read it some time (maybe get some ideas out of it, to make those mortifying moments a little more fun :)
Erin
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is cute...that's what I will say about it. It does make me want to keep a journal of all the things that go "wrong" with guys from my past and present for some good laughs. A book that is pry not worth the time unless you are looking for a good laugh or a very fast read!
Jenny
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I pretty much loathed the female weakness that permeated this book, her goofy mishaps did make me giggle sometimes. I'd recommend it for "fluffy reading" if you're laying around on a Sunday or on the beach.
Shanna
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own
I don't usually read chick lit, but I was surprised at how funny this book actually was. It's not great literature, but it is entertaining. If you might be interested in reading chick lit, I recommend it.
Lindsay Hunter
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys clever chick-lit. It is hilarious, sarcastic and witty. I think this was the first book where I actually caught myself laughing out loud. I've re-read it about 3 times and it is just as funny every time as it was the first time.
Jessica
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely hilarious. The plot wasn't too original and the ending left something to be desired, but i still enjoyed my time in this world so much. The main character was flawed and humble, and i only wish she had gone to HR about a ridiculously inappropriate coworker!
 Barb Bailey
This book was ok. I think women in their 20s and 30s would relate to this book much better than me. Still it was interesting and did have some rather funny (even though sometimes predictable) stories in it! I give this book a solid 3 star rating!
Lamache Locher
Not bad, some good moments.
Well-written and funny at times. As chick-lit goes its ok.
But somehow it feels déjà vu : many book have explored the exact same ideas and this makes you feel like eating last nights left-over.
No surprises there.
Libby
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another easy read - finished this (sadly) in one night. Nothing very surprising in the plot, but overall it's well written and cute. Great book for the beach, or for comparing some of your own humiliating moments.
Ashley
Jul 15, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all chicks
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was also one that I could totally relate with. It's like you can feel for her and recall times when you were in her situation. It's a really great book. Felt like I was reading my own journal at times. Loved it!
Sadia Khan
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super funny and super cute! It sure was fun reading this book and I would definitely read it again, that is, if I have nothing on my mind and I'm up for a good laugh.
This book also seemed very similar to Sophie Kinsella books.
I have totally enjoyed this book.
  • The Book of Jane
  • Woman to Woman
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • 37
  • Single White E-Mail
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • The Go-To Girl
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • Because She Can
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • Carrie Pilby
  • Daddy's Girls
  • The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
  • Fashionistas
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • Odd Mom Out
  • Hit Reply
Robyn Harding is the author of several books and has written and executive produced an independent film. She lives in Vancouver, BC with her husband and two children.

To learn more about Robyn's books visit: http://www.robynharding.com. Or follow her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorRobynH...

More about Robyn Harding...