Start by marking “Ravishing in Red (The Rarest Blooms, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ravishing in Red (The Rarest Blooms, #1)

Ravishing in Red

(The Rarest Blooms #1)

Armed with her cousin’s pistol, Audrianna travels to a coaching inn, to meet with a man who may have information that will clear her dead father’s name. She does not realize that the handsome man of commanding sensuality who shows up is not the person she expected, but instead Lord Sebastian Summerhays, one of her father’s persecutors, lured to the inn by the same advertis ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 341 pages
Published January 26th 2010 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Ravishing in Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravishing in Red

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
It's been a few years since I read Madeline Hunter. But, I didn't forget how good her writing is. Her style has an authentic feel that I love to read in historical romances. I like her choice of words and her use of subtle wit. This story wasn't particularly steamy, and at first, I was disappointed at how mild the love scenes were. But, as I continued to read, I came to realize that they fit this story.

I love books in which the couple marries early, and the progression of the book shows how they
Joanna (joreadsalot)
Regency Romances......Oh man its been a while. I can say that, back in the day, this was all I read then. I owned the 3rd book from this quartet because, at the time, the book store didn't have the first two and the fourth wasn't out yet. I recently have been loving using my library for audiobooks so I decided why not try it for a romance novel I'm in no rush to buy but would like to read anyways. I have to say that I loved reading it via audiobook because of how quick I was able to get it done ...more
Susana
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susana by: My mother!
A pretty forgetful story, with insta love/lust. The characters meet, and five pages later Sebastian is trying to choke her with his tongue O_O .

There's nothing particularly wrong with this story, but there's nothing particularly interesting in it either.
I'm afraid that the author's writing style is no longer a favourite, and then reading this translated to Portuguese, was the nail in the coffin...
Who hires these people?

Despite that, I will be giving the second one a try, because according to my
Galina Shishkova
по-скоро 3.5 *
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, romance, steamy
This is the first by this author that I've read so it was something of a gamble for me; one that paid off, obviously, given my rating. It's a Regency era romance, but it has something of a different flavor than I'm used to and it took me a bit to decide whether I was in favor of it or not. In the end, I decided that I at least don't mind and the surrounding story was so engaging that I'd have probably continued reading even if I had found it off-putting.

I've been trying to pin down how it differ
willaful
I reread this because 1) I only got 1 1/2 books into the series and want to catch up and 2) I almost always find Hunter worth a second read. I think my feelings about it haven’t changed much, but on this reading I was struck by the dry wit and clever turns of phrase:

“‘I suffered Mama much better before I had some experience in not having to,’ Audrianna said as they strolled down the street.”

“He had not gone far. He knelt right in front of her. Her head cleared enough to realize he was going to p
Kathleen
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Actually I give this book a 4&1/2 stars. I'd have given it 5 stars if it would have been a tish hotter, lol! It did have enough heat to keep me satisfied though. The story line was really good. One I had not read about before. I LOVED the H&H's characters in this book, they were both well done. I also like knowing that a lot of the other characters in this book will be written about in books to come in this series. I hope that Audrianna and Sabastian turn up during the following books si ...more
Krasimira
3.5
♡Karlyn P♡
Ravishing in red finished strong with a clever mystery and some interesting characters, but the slow and boring start (that spanned the first half of the book!) had me nearly quitting many times. It was hard not to get distracted and just do something else instead of read, but as everyone points out the story does eventually speed up and will hold your interest. It took me nearly a full week to read this one, and I normally burn through three books in the same amount of time. So given how much e ...more
Carolyn F.
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Audrianna's father had committed suicide after being accused of a crime. In trying to find out information to help clear him, she encounters Lord Sebastian at an inn, her gun accidentally goes off and then scandal at first makes her look bad and then him. In trying to repair some of the damage they marry and work together (kind of) about finding further information on the crime her father was accused of. In between this, they slowly fall in love.

This was a wonderful book. I liked it so much, I'
Keri
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was good, but suffered to me in some of the wording used. The premise and the majority of the book was solid. But when it came to the love scenes they were so far removed from the act with the wording used. It became hard to connect to the emotions of the h/h. I do look forward to the next book, but can't wait for Lord Castleford's book, what a man-whore. He is going to have to do some major groveling to deserve Daphne...MAJOR! :-)
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE

I put off reading this series for a long time, as every time I considered beginning it, I’d come across a negative review that made me hesitate.

Finally I was in the mood for something historical and all out of ideas, and so I took a chance on this, the first book in the Rarest Blooms series. Now I regret waiting, because I really enjoyed it.

What I liked most about this book was that the author stuck to the conventions of the time. Men and women acted within the parameters
Ana
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Audrianna will do anything she can to help clear her father's name. Even if it means going to an inn alone armed so that she could meet a mysterious man - Domino - who claims to know something. But the man she meets isn't the one she seeks, but Lord Sebastian Summerhays a man whose investigation placed the blame on her father in the first place.

Sebastian is enchanted by the woman he meets. Too bad that she is totally unsuitable, mainly because of her father. But when they are caught together and
Renee Jaspers
Jun 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
This turned out to be ultimately quite boring to me. Didn't draw much emotion from me at all. I think I'm just not into the Regency subgenre. All the worry over upperclass aristocracy and society gossip can be so dull. The romance was believeable between the two, but it wasn't emotionally consuming for me as a reader. The sex scenes erotic without getting too explicit, but not very satisfying. The main mystery to uncover wasn't very exciting, engrossing or dangerous. As I said, I was bored by th ...more
Elaine
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
My first Madeline Hunter. It definitely won't be my last!
This is an easy light book to read quickly, interesting enough to keep you going. What lowered my rating was the lack of chemistry between main characters. But I loved the plot, and I'll definitely continue with the series.
D.G.
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it
**3.5 stars**
Kate
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this one! The characters and plot were engaging and the mystery part was quite well-done (usually in books like these I can guess the outcome after a few chapters but here it wasn't that obvious from the start). The writing itself flowed nicely too.

I would enjoy it even more if it weren't for some disturbing behaviours on hero's part, like too much talk of "complete possession" or saying things like "I command you" or "You will not say no" (right before sexy times, like, umm...N
Hristina Tserovska
Интригуващо заглавие, но слабо съдържание. Останалите книги също са с противоречиви оценки, така че не мисля да продължавам с поредицата.
Elena
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
По скоро 2.5, реално последните 100 страници са по - интересни, въпреки, че и там ми куцаха доста неща.
Amarilli Settantatre
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Tra 3,5 e 4 - è il primo della serie, quindi richiede un po' di introduzione, ma scritto bene e non delude. Ormai ho sviluppato grande ammirazione per la Hunter.
Molto bella l'idea di queste dame-fioriste che si nascondono in campagna coltivando fiori in serra e meditando riscatto per scandali e dolori che le hanno travolte.
Posso dire che vorrei fortemente un libro per Morgan, il fratello maggiore di Seb??
Patrícia
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Alguns, embora não muitos, autores representam histórias obrigatórias na minha estante. Sejam melhores ou piores tentativas de expressar o seu talento enquanto contadores de fábulas, eu, enquanto ávida leitora dos seus trabalhos, sinto uma necessidade violenta de acrescentar cada novo título, cada momento escrito mais antigo, à imensa quantidade, já em casa existente, de outros romances por eles escritos, e essa é urgência à qual não consigo fugir. Madeline Hunter é um desses nomes ‘especiais’, ...more
Kaye
3-1/2 Stars

As mentioned in my review of Provocative in Pearls, I accidentally read the second book in this series first and had a few issues with it. But since many of the reviewers there said they liked the first book in the series better, I decided to give it a try. Ravishing in Red was definitely better than Provocative in Pearls as the resolution of the plot happened on page rather than just being summarized later, as an afterthought.

However, I'm getting somewhat tired of books in which the
Tegan
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Hmmmmm not sure about this one..... When I come across a good book I find it hard to leave it alone long enough to have a life but I didn't have that problem with this one.... I left it for days at a time while I was off doing better things.
It was slow to start and I found it hard to keep my focus on it, but having said that I did start to enjoy it more after the halfway mark. I didn't love either Audrianna or Sebastian at first but I must say that I did grow to like them as I got through the bo
Gail
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Stayed up way too late reading this. WAY too late. Heroine's dad committed suicide because of investigation into bad gunpowder sent to English army. He's assumed to be guilty. She refuses to believe it. Goes to meet someone who offers information, and meets the man she believes hounded her father to death instead (the hero, of course)-except each thinks the other is the "Domino" spy person at first. Stuff happens--hero kisses heroine, spy shows up, hero gets shot (bad graze), heroine is accused ...more
Virginia
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Another great story by Hunter. I am especially grateful since this book helped me pass away the time during my 3 hour glucose test. :) Thank goodness for that! The plot was intriguing and the characters reasonable. No undue histrionics which I find refreshing. I find that the older I get, the more I enjoy civilized discussions and mature relationships (even if they are in marriages of convenience) and the less I enjoy the over-dramatic flares of fury. I am thoroughly enjoying Hunter!
Kit
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Madeline Hunter is able to capture the essence of the years she so eloquently writes about. The dialog, the formality of the relationships, and all the details are written in a way to whisk the reader to another time. Ravishing in Red is a lovely start her new romance series about the ladies of The Rarest Bloom.
Mariusky Spínola
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Não sendo grande fã de livros de época, admito que foi dos que mais gostei! Agora quero ler a saga completa!! ;)
Isa Lavinia

The thing with this book is that it starts exactly as it promises on its description, and it fills you with hope for some genuine love/hate romance filled with witty repartee, until the hero and heroine are overcome by their feelings and confess their mutual love - hopefully keeping up with the witty repartee.

What it delivers actually, is a very believable, historically accurate and, I must admit it, a bit boring story focused on a mystery that wasn't even that interesting because the main the
Ana Luisa
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Há alturas em que se torna difícil escrever uma opinião. Primeiro porque ainda estamos num estado comatoso depois da leitura do livro e depois porque muitas vezes acabamos por repetir um pouco aquilo que já dissemos em outras opiniões. Claro que falo por mim mesma e muitos de vocês pode pensar algo do género “Mas ela gosta de todos os livros que lê?” e a resposta que vos dou é que, na verdade, isso realmente acontece porque não me aventuro demasiado para a
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 4 Feb 23, 2015 09:26AM
  • To Pleasure A Lady (Courtship Wars #1)
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman (London's Greatest Lovers, #2)
  • Then Comes Seduction (Huxtable Quintet, #2)
  • A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
  • To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)
  • The Courtship Dance (The Matchmaker #4)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)
  • Wedding of the Season (Abandoned at the Altar, #1)
  • Barely a Lady (Drake's Rakes, #1)
Madeline Hunter is a nationally bestselling author of historical romances who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two sons. Her books have won two RITA awards and seven nominations, and have had three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. In a parallel existence to the one she enjoys as a novelist, Madeline has a Ph.D. in art history and teaches at an East Coast university.

The Rarest Blooms (4 books)
  • Provocative in Pearls (The Rarest Blooms #2)
  • Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
“I did indeed say you could have lovers. But I never promised that I would not kill them.” 37 likes
“You will have to forgive me, Major Woodruffe. I am new to marriage, and perhaps more given to jealousy than some of the more experienced husbands that you know. It is possible that you seek only friendship with my wife. If, however, you entertain any other--"
-Sebastian to Woodruffe
"I assure you that such a thing is the furthest thing from my mind."
-Woodruffe to Sebastian
"Come now, Major. We are both men. Such ideas are never far from our minds at all. But if you do anything that causes me to think that your mind dwells long on that particular idea, I will thrash you, I will ruin you, and I will probably kill you.
-Sebastian to Woodruffe”