Start by marking “The Hostage (Medusa Project, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hostage (Medusa Project, #2)

The Hostage

(Medusa Project #2)

The second gripping book in the series about four teenagers with psychic abilities, from Red House award-winning author Sophie McKenzie.
256 pages
Published by Simon & Schuster (first published January 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Hostage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostage

Start your review of The Hostage (Medusa Project, #2)
16elwing
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is an action book that features super powers. It is book 2 in the series of the medusa project and follows on from book 1. I really enjoyed reading this book as it was very action packed and also it was a good page turner.
17vailes053
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book was absolutely amazing and so intense, thrilling and very exiting! I have read 2 of the books in the Medusa Project series and I am going to keep going with this series because I am so hooked in to these set if books.
16SimpsonL
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Sophie McKenzie. It is gripping and lots of action unfolds on each page making you want to read on more and more. I found this book almost impossible to put down! I love how the books are told from different characters perspectives it make it a really interesting read!
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Sophie McKenzie is a bit of a teen institution here in the UK, and has garnered lots of critical acclaim and numerous awards. She's got the ideas to write a great story, and always puts a lot of thought and effort into her characterisation.

The Medusa Project series is an interesting premise, and is paced as fast as TV show 24. I didn't like this second instalment as much as the first, though I still enjoyed it and whizzed through it. My problem with this particular book was Ketty's narration. S
Danielle
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Read this review and more on my blog.

The Hostage is the second book in the Medusa Project series.

As a whole I enjoyed this novel, and I am interesting in seeing how this story is going to progress. For me it was the writing style that really annoyed me. Also, I am so sorry Mum and Dad if I sounded half as bad as the kids in the book did. If you told me that the word 'babe' was used on almost every other page I would not be surprised.

None of the characters we that inte
Amelia
Thoughts before the read:

When I came across this in a charity shop, I bought it, remembering that I'd read the first one... but not that I only gave it two stars.

And after:

Ketty is a total fucking sap and it's a wonder she didn't get everyone killed. And my god, when will they all stop whining about everything? Someone's life is in danger and you're all busy having spats and giving each other the cold shoulder over tiny things.

Stop whimpering, Ketty, and make
Rheanna
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-series
Re- reading, August 2017
Courteney Fisher
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
So somehow when I originally read the Medusa Project I missed this book out! So this was my first time reading it. I'd have to say it's not my favourite book in the series just because I think Ketty is a very fleeting character. I found myself wanting to yell so many times especially when she put her brothers life before hundreds of other people's lives. But it was still a good book and was perfect for the build up of the main Foster plot line.
Kushnuma
The Hostage is book 2 in the series.

I absolutely hated Ketty in this book. She was mostly crying and going off on her own, only thinking about her brother and no one else. And she kept making the same mistakes.
15SolankiK
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished this book and i thought it was amazing. It was written by a different character this time but that made it even better. At first i thought after the first one the story line would be very similar but it wasn't at all. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone
Siobhan
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: libby-app
I read this because the plot of the first one was enough to keep me going but the characters were basically motivated by petty jealousy and poor chat - annoying and unbelievable. Its a shame because the premise was interesting. Will not be continuing with this series.
16kelseyl
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
As always, Sophie Mackenzie has impressed me with this amazing sequel. It does not disappoint and after finishing i was desperate for the next. I love following all of the characters in these books even if some do have a slight plot twist!
15PinderF
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not stop reading, really encapsulating, really got my adrenaline running loved it would totally recommend to anyone, but make sure you read the first book first (the step up) as it would be confusing otherwise. Love how Sophie mckenzie changes whose perspective it is in each book.
PJ
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 11+ year old
Recommended to PJ by: School Librarian
This book is a total page-turner! I would totally recommend this book.
Sofia
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zara
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as high octane and exhilarating as the first one. Love, excitement and action all in one was a absolute joy to read. With the book being written in different points of view made it more enjoyable to read.
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
After the events of The Medusa Project: The set-up, cocky Nico, spoiled girl Dylan, geeky boy Ed and sport Ketty have been put together as the Medusa Project team- used by the government to get to the bottom of crimes in London. Their first assignment is to stop an unknown hacker who is at large- and the government suspects Foster; the wealthy manager of Fostergames industries. Ketty, the Medusa-implanted teenager who can see into the future, discovers that her brother Lex is involved in the sch ...more
Lottie
Jan 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I finish this book I am going to set fire to it. Or at least throw it around the room whilst crying tears of anger.

I enjoyed the first one, It's fast paced , action-packed and overall amazing. This one - not so much. To be honest, I would probably of enjoyed it equally if Ketty wasn't the most infuriating character to ever exist.

I don't know if it's just me but I thought these kids had super powers?

They spend the majority of this book: crying, whining and genu
Hokeun Choi
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sophie McKenzie's The Hostage #2 from the series called The Medusa project is a very fun, exciting, and cliff hanging book. This book is about 6 main characters called Foster which is a big game company owner, Lex which is Ketty's Brother and Nico.Ketty.Dylan, and Ed. This book is about Foster trying to get his brother out of prison because his brother did nothing wrong and went into prison. So he is going to set up a bomb but Ketty knows it so she can tell it to Geri Patterson which is the lead ...more
Chelsey
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 11+
Recommended to Chelsey by: Friend
This book was awesome.

I have to be honest and say that in my opinion it wasn't quit as good as the first but it has still left me ready to read on to the third book.

I like how all the books are written from one of the four teenagers point of view, this one being from the point of Ketty, i thought this was extremely effective and adds to the reader being able to empathise with each of the characters.

Also i am amazed at how Sophie Mckenzie can come up with so many thilling
Chanel Lindsay
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four teenagers with a gene for psychic abilities have been brought together by government agents to create a secret crime-fighting force: The Medusa Project. Ketty's brother Led has stumbled into a dangerous game involving his boss and a hidden bomb. It's up to Kitty to save him without letting on what she knows to the rest of the team. But can she control his psychic visions, and her feelings for Nico, without getting the team's cover - and herself - blown sky high?

I loved the first Medusa Pro
Crystal
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Beth Stewart
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Hostage has got to be one of the best books I have ever read! It is always about teamwork and co-operation in this. I feel really sorry for Ketty because her brother, Lex, is being held hostage by his boss, Foster. Ketty has to lie to get him back. She lies and at the end, her brother has a really big bomb attached to him and with only two seconds left to go before it explodes along with Lex, the Medusa team stop the bomb and Lex is fine. I'm not all that sure if I am looking forward to thye ...more
St Stephen's C C
Fourteen years ago, four babies were implanted with the Medusa gene - a gene for psychic abilities. Now teenagers, Nico, Ketty, Ed and Dylan have been brought together by government agents to create a secret crime-fighting force - The Medusa Project. But now Ketty's brother Lex has stumbled into a dangerous game involving his boss and a hidden bomb. It's up to Ketty to save him without letting on what she knows to the rest of the team. But can she control her psychic visions, and her feelings fo ...more
Alice
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Personally I enjoyed this book more than the first book, I found the plot more interesting, the characterisation more developed and just in general I thought it was easier to read. A part of the first book I HATED was the use of 'babe' by Nico which is a word I hate in real life, so the use of it is quite distracting for me. But it either appeared less or I have got use to it because in this book it didn't annoy me as much. Also I think the set-up for the third book was great, and I am really lo ...more
Emilia Dowse
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Sophie McKenzie is one of my favourite author and the hostage is the second in The medusa project series. One thing I like about the books are they have the four main characters and then each book is in the perspective of each different one. The Hostage is in the point of view of Ketty, whose brother gets held hostage and she needs to try help him without letting on that she is getting blackmailed or losing her boyfriend Nico.
I love the book, it is very engaging
Bethany
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think these books get better as the series goes on! I liked how this one was told from Ketty's point of view, whereas The Set-up was told from Nico's. Ed and Dylan are more likeable in this book as in the first one i didn't really like them much, hopefully this will continue in the rest of the series.
Mstr. Pheh
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This second series of Medusa Project was awesome and fantastic! Kept me going till the end. This book really surprised me that it change character's POV, this time's Nico's girlfriend, Ketty! However, at first this character could be frustrating and her decision-making makes me want to choke her to death. (but I do like her) Overall this book is good that has a exciting story and great different personality characters. 8.5/10
Chloë
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The whole medusa project series are my favorite books of all time. I saw Sarah Mckenzie a few years ago and she read an extract from this and blood ties, since then i've been buying her books.
I often wonder if theses books will be turned into films, as they're really good. Easy to get loat into. The charcters, she writes so you feel like the charcter. I love it!
Hayden
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Hayden by: My friend
This book was even better than the first! Although, I wish the narration had still come from Nico. You could relate to him better. Anyway, this book was full of surprises and little shocks that even I, the master of prediction, wasn't expecting :) The storyline was better than the last book, although I never found out where Soames went.

• A Woman of No Importance
  • Scatterlings
  • The Devil Latch
  • Troy
  • The Devil Rides Out & Gateway to Hell
  • Seeking Crystal (Benedicts, #3)
  • Death Reins In (Horse Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Saddled with Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Vlad: The Last Confession
  • The Gathering
  • A Name In Blood
  • Finding Sky (Benedicts, #1)
  • Maggie Jordan
  • Abigale Hall
  • The Stone Testament
  • The Dark
  • Maximum Security (Cherub, #3)
  • The Fog
Hey there! Welcome to my Goodreads page where you can keep up with all my stories - both the ones that are already published and the works in progress!!
I write mostly thrillers - though I have done some teen romance stories too.
I'm really excited right now because of...

Close My Eyes - which is my first psychological thriller for adult readers (pub May 2013, UK, July 2013, U

Medusa Project (6 books)
  • The Set Up (Medusa Project, #1)
  • The Rescue (Medusa Project, #3)
  • Hunted (Medusa Project, #4)
  • Double-Cross (Medusa Project, #5)
  • Hit Squad (The Medusa Project, #6)