Start by marking “Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)

Tyrant's Blood

(Valisar Trilogy #2)

The second book in the breathtaking epic fantasy of heritage, vengeance, and destiny

A decade has passed since the barbarian Loethar brutally conquered the last remaining, most powerful realm in the Denova Set--though the coveted Valisar Enchantment, the irresistible ability to coerce and control, eludes him still. Ten years since the warlord butchered the Set's royals and
Mass Market Paperback, 470 pages
Published December 29th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tyrant's Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tyrant's Blood

Holly Anderson
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
With 10 years between the events of the 1st book and this one, not much has changed, and we spend alot of this book plodding about and catching up with the gossip of the past 10 years (which isn't much).
The likability of the characters is way too interchangable between this book and the next/final book... During this book the personailities of the main characters pretty much agree with how the author laid them out in the 1st book... But then in the 3rd book (which is set over a shorter period of
Kaarina
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Sometimes I forget just how much I love Fiona McIntosh's writing and storytelling till I pick up one of her books. Because it's unpredictable. And I don't just mean it always ends with a twist, no no no, it's a constant series of twists that I, at times, have to put the book and try to collect my thoughts while mentally freaking out because and --I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED!-- but every 20-something pages. Her books can never be said to be dull, that's for sure.

Her world building is rich,
Quigui
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Available at Spoilers and Nuts

This review has been written for The David Gemmell Legend Awards for Fantasy site (http://gemmellaward.com/).
Carol
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Haven't found any book yet by this author that I don't like. Beautiful writing, great characters and engrossing story.
GingerOrange
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, McIntosh really stepped her game up!

So the story continues on 10 years down the line in this novel. Very exciting with loads of revelations about old characters. Loads of plot twists so it kept me on my toes. Some elements and coincidences, I didn’t believe in. Felt a little too easy and out there. But mostly, the story really developed. I’d have liked a little more character development and background into Leo though.

Overall, I’m hooked to the series and I can’t wait to start the next book
Audrey Terry
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, own
Eh, Probably not going to bother with the third book.
Ole Laursen
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely better than book #1 in the trilogy.
Aimee
I gave the first book three stars because although there were flaws they weren't bad enough to stop me enjoying the story overall and I hoped it would get better. This one is actually worse than the first and only just deserving of the two stars I have given it. I have already bought the third book, but at this stage I don't know whether or not I will bother with it. It's all the more annoying because of how promising the storyline is - it really is an interesting story, but there are just too m ...more
Adam Bourke
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Regular readers of this blog will realise that some stuff I normally put around this review is missing (such as a picture of the cover). This will be corrected later today. They may also notice that there was no posts last week.The reason for both is that I have been summoned to sit on a jury - while in the house moving process and don't have the time to read as much. But I expect to review regularly from now on, but it'll generally be on the bus - so less info for a week or two. Anyway - the bo ...more
Rudra Roy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*SPOILERS
first of all i curse my childhood habit of makin sure to finish a novel no matter how boring or offencive i find it.. because this is the Most stupid piece of rubbish i have read in last couple of years. .
and i have read some really rubbish stuff in name of fantasy in last 2-3 years (having read around 250 fantasy novels in this period)
while the first part was enjoyable the 2nd nd 3rd part just shows the bankruptcy of the author.there is no coherency. .no logic no underling theme ..i m
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
C2009. How disappointing... not going to worry about completing the trilogy, I am afraid. I must admit that the statement in the Acknowledgements ie " I was nervous about throwing readers into a contemporary world for the opening chapter but it felt right.." really, really put me off. Firstly, I really dislike paradigm shifts, separate planes etc etc. Then, if I had wanted contemporary, I would not choose a fantasy novel. After that, the story did not grip me in any way and sadly I had to admit ...more
Melissa Waldron
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the second book in Fiona McIntosh’s Valisar trilogy, more than I did the first book. This book was still a little bit too graphic for my taste, but I did enjoy reading it. This series, in general, is darker than what I would normally read so that may be impacting my view of it.

I don’t want to put too much into my review because it has been hard for me to write anything that does not give the story away. I will say that the people and situations are not as cut and dry as you might think
Christel Mirassou
Vraiment Fiona McIntosh est la reine du suspense et de la surprise tellement on ne s'attend pas à la tournure que prennent les évènements dans ce tome. Et là où c'est encore plus fort, c'est qu'on ne s'y attend pas et que l'on ne le voit pas venir comme avec certains autres auteurs. Ainsi, surtout ne pensez pas déjà savoir comment va se finir cette aventure car plus vous avancez dans l'histoire et plus tout ce dont vous étiez convaincu va disparaitre. Bref, nous avons ici encore droit à une form ...more
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Second book in the Valisar trilogy and it was a disappointment. I should have known as the first volume wasn't great in spite of a good review. The second also got a good review, but it was possibly a worse book than the first. Badly written, badly edited, characters without any substance or just not believable, plot that had so many coincidences in it that it wasn't believable - need I go on? And it is quite long, so if you decide to read this, you have been warned.
Kimsandara
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
DNF at 25%

No, I did not go far. I should have trusted my instinct. After all, it took me 2 years to finish the first book. Thankful those come from the library. Why, in the L... name would you feel like it was necessary to have parallele universe and whatsnot. It's not a spoiler, it happens within the first few pages of the novel.
Kathleen
J'ai trouvé que le deuxième livre de la trilogie était meilleur que le premier! L'action s'enchainait mieux et on arrivait à s'attacher aux personnages un peu mieux.
J'ai bien aimé les révélations qui ont été faites au cours du livre et certains évènements innatendus étaient très bien pour redonner de l'intrigue à l'histoire.
Sandy Vaile
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I devoured the second in the Valisar trilogy as quickly as the first. I've come to love the characters, although I'm still not quite sure what to expect from some. The last Valisar prince wants to avenge the slaughter of his family, but there are so many surprises and layers that you'll never guess where this adventure takes you!
Chi Hill-mann
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Has to go down as one of the most flip-floppiest books I've ever read. I wouldn't so much as call them plot twists, but I don't think I've ever had my feelings about a character (or ...nearly all of them) change in the space of 2-4 chapters. This book accomplished that and more.
Zaryna
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zaryna by: Myself
This book was brilliant! Everything was happening so fast but so slow at the same time because i just wanted to know MORE! Such a page-turner! As soon as i can get my hands on the third book i will be right into it! Well done Fiona Mcintosh!
Rebecca
I am still enjoying this series, but there was a lot of darkness in this book. It was good, I just wish I had read it at a time when I didn't want a light book. I still can't wait to read he third in the trilogy.
Helena Hyndrikx
You can read the review on my blog: http://embracingmybooks.blogspot.be/2...
Kristin
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Read from 12/29 - 1/1.
Dawn
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am loving this series and can't wait to finish the last book
Vicky
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't figure out if I like this series or not. I'm still unsure as to whether or not to get the next book.
Charly
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great storytelling as always from McIntosh.
Gail
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!! Great continuation from the 1st book without any dry gaps.
James
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked this book. i would have liked to see more of the modern world stuff in it, but oh well.

there were a lot of editor errors/typos, but i still enjoyed it.
Oanh
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
An excellent fantasy series.
Ronald Marcil
Valisar #2
Karen
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Karen by: john
fast read, very F McIntosh. Looking fwd to next installment
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • Blood of Tyrants: George Washington & the Forging of the Presidency
  • Song of the Shiver Barrens (Mirage Makers, #3)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton
  • The Universe Parallel (Triad Of Being, #2)
  • Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi

Valisar Trilogy (3 books)
  • Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)
  • King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)
“said, pointing Kirin to a line on his ledger. ‘Evening meal’s” 0 likes