Start by marking “Ultimate Origins” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Origins

Ultimate Origins

(Ultimate Origins #1-5)

This is it: the story that finally reveals the conspiracies behind the entire Ultimate universe! When they first met, Bruce Banner mysteriously warned Spider-Man that 'everything is connected'. Now it's time to discover the jaw-dropping secrets that men have fought and died to protect.
Published July 1st 2009 by Marvel (first published January 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Origins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Origins

Start your review of Ultimate Origins
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
I hate when great art happens to bad comics.

So... this was not good.

It appears Bendis was granted the opportunity to create (?), revamp a lot of origins here. I havent read the entirety of the Ultimates Universe but even if Bendis inherited some of this bullshit, he didnt take the opportunity to make any of it better.

Lets get right down to it: this book is racist. It is a historical fact that black men were forcibly experimented on by white scientists during past war times. That is an
Sesana
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
So long ago that I forgot he'd ever said it, Ultimate Bruce Banner told Ultimate Spider-Man that everything was connected. And, apparently, he meant what he said. I'll be honest, I don't find the explanation that mutants were created in a lab, and that Wolverine was patient zero, terribly convincing, largely because there still hasn't been a satisfactory, or indeed any, explanation for how a genome could spread. But it does pull everything together, and Bendis makes the sequence of events almost ...more
Bookwraiths
Origins sounded cool. Bendis tying everything and everyone in the Ultimate Universe together was a good idea, especially since I imagined some huge revelations. Problem is this book didnt live up to my high expectations.

The book is a jumbled bunch of stories about most of the important Ultimate characters. Fury has a huge role, surprising origin and uncovers the biggest conspiracy. Banner and Pym appear. Peter Parker. Xavier and Magneto. Wolverine and Weapon X. All these guys caught up in this
Mike
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Read again December 2017. Ties together the origins (Ultimate universe) of Captain America, Wolverine, Nick Fury, Hulk, and mutant kind. Introduces the Watchers and sets the stage for, I believe, the Gah-Lak-Tus trilogy.
Chris Greensmith
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ultimatum
"It is a Watcher. It is part of a hive culture that is here to observe and record the significant events that shape our civilization. It is here now to witness the most significant event of this generation. It just told me--It is here to witness the coming devastation"
I love the Ultimate line of Marvels, it is amazing, everything is connected, it seems really well thought out and I love how they have re-imagined the whole universe. I love the art, the vibe, the style everything. This Origins
Adam Stone
This series connects the origins of Captain America, Nick Fury, and Wolverine, while also showing us The Ultimate Universe's version of The Watcher.

It's really stupid.

When Bendis writes too many titles, which happens frequently, some of them suffer from having a one issue idea expanded to a six or seven series arc, and the results are always dull. This is one of those books. Skip it.
Mike
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happen to love Bendis' writing - nearly all of it. It feels natural *and* compelling - sometimes just wising off, sometimes cracking jokes, and sometimes speaking truths of hard-won wisdom.

Which is why I enjoyed this book. Not only for the trademark Bendis interplay between characters, but also for the unifying, revisionist theorem of Marvel superheroes he came up with. Seems like a much more satisfying way of threading together an explosion of "powers" than the original Stan Lee randomness
Kemper
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero, marvel
Gavin
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
One book which explains the whole interconnected nature of the Ultimate Marvel world, this is a great story. Great because it pretty much lays out all the major players in the Universe and how things end up as they do. Bendis does a great job, and it's very cool to see the slightly tweaked versions of everyone, from Hulk to Nick Fury to Wolverine to Magneto. Enjoyable with good solid artwork, probably a good place to start before entering the Ultimate Marvel world.
Nick
This is a grim and dark version of the origins of superheroes in the Marvel universe, but I had trouble with Nick Fury's origin and his eventual actions. Also, too many plot threads are left dangling by the end of the book, in the apparent expectation that the reader will simply have to read all of the other Ultimates books. That's more than a tad annoying.
Still, the artwork is gorgeous, with Butch Guice doing a very good grim-and-gritty rendering of the various characters. The writing is often
Shannon
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Decent story about the origins of the Super Soldier(s), and mutants in the Marvel Ultimate Universe. Features glimpses of Nick Fury, Captain America, Bruce Banner/Hulk, Wolverine, Magneto, and Professor X in their early days. Had this story happened earlier, been expanded and used more in the creation of the Ultimate Universe, I feel like it would been a much more solid foundation to build on, and maybe the UU would have lasted longer. The art was pretty good.
Kenneth Clark
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Backstories galore

I chose this as my entry point to the Ultimate Universe and interspersed these issues with other issues that occur at the same time. Rather than reading the comics in order of publication, I'm reading them in order of continuity. It's an amazing way to enter this universe. It feels like it's rife with flash-forwards, like a cinematic experience.
Ushnav Shroff
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brief little read before one delves into the the actual Ultimates Universe, Ultimate Origins serves as a stepping stone into a much larger picture - one where Nick Fury (view spoiler). Seriously, that boggled with my mind a little.
Ian
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This and other Brian Michael Bendis books reviewed here: https://fsfh-book-review2.webnode.com...
Josh Patton
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You would think that this collection is about how the origins of the characters in the ultimate universe.

You'd be wrong.
Paxton Holley
Apr 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ultimate Marvel book about the origins of the super soldier program. A little disappointing. Lots of good artwork and the potential is there, but it seemed to fall a bit short.
Frans Kempe
The watchers makes their entry into the ultimate universe. We also find out about Furys, Cap, Banner, Wolverine and Black panthera origin
Peter Whitney
I like what Bendis was going for with this. Especially considering how convoluted the Ultimate universe got so quickly considering what it was originally created as. But it didn't really need to be told, and in hindsight it should have been a few issues more.
The_Mad_Swede
So ... it has been a long time since I last dipped into Marvel's (now defunct) Ultimate imprint, but or the sake of clarity, I did enjoy quite a bit of the early stuff to see print (e.g. the Bendis and Bagley Spider-Man run, Millar's take on the X-Men and the Ultimates respectively), even though I can understand why it may not be everyone's cuppa. However, things did start to slide downhill quite early on, mostly towards the mediocre or uninteresting, and often into a contradictory foundation ...more
Andrew Christman
I'm beginning a read of the whole Ultimate Universe and the order I'm following says to begin with this run.

I'll admit, it sucked me in.

There's not much story in the five comics, just some partial character introductions and a looming "threat" that doesn't really come to fruition at all.

However, it does put introduce a lot of foreshadowing and lays out a map showing just how connected all these super heroes in the Ultimate Universe will become.

If you're completely new to Marvel, this WOULD
Sergio
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The only reference I have to the stories and histories of most of the comic book characters are the movies that have been released over the years. I am by no means an expert on the subject matter, I just like to enjoy a good comic book from time to time. I understand by doing some background checking in Wikipedia, that this is a reimagined version of the classic super-heroes. Taking all that into account and also my previous experience with the movies, I can say that I enjoyed this graphic ...more
Tays
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What with Bendis writing this, it was quite indulging. The writing was quite absorbing. It's the same stories with a touch of the Ultimate Marvel universe where Marvel characters seems to be interconnected in origins. There really is not much story to tell with a few issues, particularly five. It's more of an introduction to those main characters in the Ultimate Marvel Universe. If you want to start reading that side of the universe for Marvel comics, I wouldn't advise you to start it with this ...more
J.
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be a little critical here. I actually enjoyed quite a few things in this book--(view spoiler)--but I just can't rate it well. Or, more specifically, I can't rate this itself, as a stand-alone collection, well. There is no ending at all, but just a build up to other things. It doesn't present itself this way, ...more
Sean
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ultimate Origins was supposed to show the "ultimate" secrets of the Ultimate universe and show the connections of well everything. Here Bendis, who has done fantastic things with the Ultimate Spider-Man book, tells the tale of a ton of early moments of this world. The coincidences at retconning were pretty high but overall there was a lot of good here. The dialogue, because its Bendis was really well done. The art by Butch Guice was pretty fantastic. This guy is pretty amazing for considering ...more
Todd
This is really a 3.5 but I rounded up because I can. Bendis works really hard to tie everything together like he hinted at way back in Ultimate Team-up. Some of it stretches credibility. It's still a fun read and gives a new look at some of the characters that really didn't have an origin ( and some who did (view spoiler).

The art is solid. Nothing amazing but clean and characters are distinct.
Patrick
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
A book made up of a lot of little moments, that if they were done in a regular monthly book, with some emotion to the moments, could have been kind of cool. Spiderman finding out how his parents were killed and who is to blame could have been a shock to him and the audience. This reveal, and others like it, come off rather boring instead. Just random facts tossed out there, without any context for them. Thumbs down.
Frank
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I've just gotten into Marvel's Ultimate universe. I was hesitant at first because the last thing I needed was to be confused by two different storyline continuities for the same characters. seriously, i have a lot on my mind as it is. But this--which, as the title suggests, gives the origin stories for all the major players--is a much-needed fresh take on the characters.
Rigoberto
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The art wasn't that good, but somewhat average. The origins were well explained, but some of the changes for this continuity were inconsistent with what the other comics were publishing at the time. While the story does explain why Nick Fury has lived for a long time, it wasn't a good explanation as to why he can't regrow his eye. Overall, it is not bad, but you can afford to miss this book.
Michael
I was excepting a little more from this book. It didn't feel like it had an ending. It explained a lot of stuff, but I don't feel like it got anywhere. Sure we saw the origins of a bunch of characters and kind of how they tied together, but I wanted more. This could have easily been more too. It could have been so much more.
I have always loved the Ultimate universe, so this version of Marvel history was really interesting to me. Well the history was. I'm not really sure what the fuck was going on with the extra-plot devicey alien obelisks. If you are an Ultimates fan, this is a must read. If you're not, you might want to give it a pass.

• Ultimate Comics Thor
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers: Next Generation
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Doom
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers: Crime and Punishment
  • Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human
  • The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch?
  • Ultimate Elektra: Devil's Due
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra
  • Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People
  • Ultimatum: X-Men/Fantastic Four
  • Ultimate Comics Captain America
  • Ultimate Galactus, Volume 2: Secret
A comic book writer and erstwhile artist. He has won critical acclaim (including five Eisner Awards) and is one of the most successful writers working in mainstream comics. For over eight years Bendiss books have consistently sat in the top five best sellers on the nationwide comic and graphic novel sales charts.

Ultimate Origins (5 books)
  • Ultimate Origins #1