Start by marking “I Want a Dog!” as Want to Read:
I Want a Dog!

I Want a Dog!

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Every child wants a dog at some point. Here's the story of little girl who figures out how to get what she wants!
Published September 1st 2009 by NorthSouth Books

To ask other readers questions about I Want a Dog!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want a Dog!

Lisa Vegan
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers; fans of clever girls
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I’ve read so many books such as this. I’ve always wanted dogs my whole life, and I was fortunate to have a dog for about nine years when I was well into adulthood. When I was a kid a family friend gave me The Traveling Bird (it didn’t help), and as an adult I’ve read many books including ones similar to this book, one titled identically: I Want A Dog (well, sans exclamation point) and one nearly identically titled: I Really Want a Dog. There have been others too, but these are the three books th ...more
Beth
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the idea of this book, but the story arc felt rushed for some reason. Maybe something got lost in translation since this appears to be a translated title.
Kary
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I think a lot of kids will relate to wanting a pet so bad, but parents saying no.
Tracy Morton
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl wants a dog but can't convince her parents that she should have one. Their apartment is just too small! Her problem is solved when she borrows a dog to walk and play with.
Dolly
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, pets
This is a wonderful tale of finding a way to get what you want within the evil constraints that your parents set for you. Lisa wants a dog, but her parents say that their apartment is too small. Lisa asks constantly for a dog, does her chores nicely to get a dog, has tantrums to get a dog, and reasons with her parents to get a dog. Still, she has no dog. But on her own, she finds a compromise, a solution that will make everyone happy. Though this is not always possible, I like that it shows how ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Sep 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, dogs
More than anything, Lisa wants a dog. She lets her parents know numerous times. Their answer is always the same--their apartment is too small for a dog. Lisa is not one to give up. After some thought, she advertises and gets a dog friend named Rollo.

What I thought: Lisa is quite a creative girl. I never would have thought of borrowing a dog. The illustrations are great, especially the different dog breeds.
Rhaynes5
Jul 05, 2013 added it
Shelves: life-skills
I Want dog is a great book that I believe every child will be able to relate to. Every child wants to have a dog and some parents are just not willing. Just like in the book I'm sure every child has tried to devise a plan to get a dog from their parents. If not every child has tried to get something their parents said they could not have. This book is so cute and relate able it will definitely be apart of my classroom library.
Susan
Nov 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
The illustrations are amusing. But this is about a little girl who wants a dog but can't have one because her parents think their apartment is too small. She wheedles and then tantrums--to no avail. Though this book addresses a real issue--there must be plenty of children who want dogs but can't have them--the solution posed is not in fact a realistic one and that makes the book ultimately silly and unsatisfying and of no use as a help to children in similar circumstances.
Caitlintobin
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What child does not ask his/her parent for a dog? The character in this picture book is dog crazy and figures out the perfect way to have a dog and keep her parents happy. I love the fact that the Lisa creates a solution to her dog dilemma without being bratty, rude, spoiled, obnoxious...
Karen
I like books where children exhibit the pluck to think outside the box to solve a problem. Lisa's parents rightly claim their apartment is too small for a dog. So she goes about finding a way to feed her need in a different way. Splendid.
Meg McGregor
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
The little girl I watch desperately wants a dog or a cat. But her parents will not allow it.

When she gets a bit older, she is only two, I will remind her about this book and how the little girl was able to get a dog even though the dog does not live with her.

A very cute idea for a story!
Deanna Donald
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I could see using this book to help students to devise plans or even when beginning to write persuasive essays. Students could see what they might add to persuade Lisa's parents to buy her a dog. This is also great for students to learn to predict and enhance those skills.
Michelle Nero
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lisa wants a dog. Mom and Dad say the apartment is too small. She tried being extra good. She tried being extra bad. In the end, Lisa came up with a brilliant idea! Great book to share with students about problem solving and "thinking outside the box" or small apartment. :)
Emily
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
The author has written a sweet story of persistence and creative problem solving. The best part is the end!
Katrina
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-books, favorites
This is a favorite of Erik's, who desperately wants a dog. I like the clever solution that this story offers up (and the fun illustrations too).
Jeanne
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute kids book about a little girl whose parents won't allow her to get a dog. Instead of giving up, she creatively solves her problem in a way that makes everyone happy.
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lisa comes up with the best solution for the age-old "I want a dog" dilemma that I have ever seen.
Lizzie
Aug 03, 2013 added it
Shelves: picture-book, own
I picked this up because I was super tickled that it was about a girl named Lisa (so close!) who hopes a dog will fit in her apartment. GOOD NEWS, LISA! (I got a dog not too long after.)
Laura Komos
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lisa has a creative way of solving the problem of living in an apartment that is "too small for a dog," as her parents tell her. Cute story!
Cathy
Adorable! Creative problem solving, a smart and cute kid, and dogs. What more could I ask?
Briana
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone...especially dog lovers <3
A sweet story about a clever child who is determined to have her own dog. <3
Chrystal
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-children
The girls loved this one.
Magila
3.5

Pretty artwork.
Melanie Swider Wenz
Love how the character thinks "out of the box" at the end of the story!
Dec 12, 2011
Amberly
Jun 29, 2011
Aug 04, 2012
Amanda Hamilton
Jul 01, 2016
Kira Richardson
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great book that teaches compromise and highlights problem solving!
Jeanette