Start by marking “The Heart of God: Prayers of Rabindranath Tagore” as Want to Read:
The Heart of God: Prayers of Rabindranath Tagore

The Heart of God: Prayers of Rabindranath Tagore

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Awarded the Noble Prize for Literature in 1913, Rabindranath Tagore (1861— 1941) is considered the most important poet of modern-day India. He was also a distinguished author, educator, social reformer, and philosopher. Today, Tagore along with Mahatma Gandhi is prized as the foremost intellectual and spiritual advocates of India's liberation from imperial rule.

This inspi
Published July 15th 2004 by Tuttle Publishing (first published September 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of God

Kes
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be still, my heart, these great trees are prayers.

I rediscovered Rabindranath Tagore, and I love his poems. This was a short collection of his poetry. I loved how religious they are - hopeful? Confident? in this existence of his God.

Notable ones were:

- Trees (just one line, reproduced above)
- My Greetings (My Guide, I am a wayfarer on an endless road, my greetings of a wanderer to You.)
- Hold My Hand (I love the repetition of "Hold My Hand", though I felt it could be emphasised more)
- This is My
Brett
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Tagore - what's not to love? Clearly, one of the most overlooked poets/artists in western culture. He is to India who Dante is to Italy.
Seán
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This immensely valuable set of prayers have their own unique intimate trope. They lend real insight into the authors spirit and are strong evidence for why he deservedly was awarded the Nobel.
Jen
I really wanted this book because I love the often-quoted poem by Tagore that begins, "It is for the union of you and me that there is light in the sky.." However, I hated the poems in this book. The language was not flowing, every single one was about "You," (God), and I just didn't find that they had universal appeal. I would love to know where the above poem is published.
Laurie
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Strikingly beautiful poetry. Tagore speaks the mystical language of St. John of the Cross, St. Augustine, and Kabir.

"Do not turn away Your face from my heart's dark secrets, but burn them till they are alight with Your fire."
Kristen
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, but I seem to have only scratched the surface...I need more.
Al
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you think you can't appreciate the prayers of someone who practices a different faith than you do, think again. Tagore has a humility and insight that touches the heart.
Steve
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection; excellent and judicious editing. I read and re-read this collection, almost daily.
Lela
May 18, 2012
Moyank
Jun 23, 2007
Raj Kumari
rated it did not like it
Nov 08, 2016
Feb 25, 2018
Arthur Borges
Mar 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore