Start by marking “Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)

Ramona Quimby, Age 8

(Ramona Quimby #6)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  64,818 ratings  ·  1,373 reviews

In this Newbery Honor Book from beloved author Beverly Cleary, eight-year-old Ramona Quimby's zest for life is infectious as ever. Whether speaking her mind to her third-grade teacher, or befriending her schoolyard bully, Ramona can't be kept down!

Then one day an embarrassing incident in the classroom leaves Ramona completely humiliated. Can she bounce back from this one?

Published (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona Quimby, Age 8, please sign up.
Bluelily3 The eggs also had the shell on still, so they looked exactly the same from the outside. When I was a kid, I didn't get this part because I thought…moreThe eggs also had the shell on still, so they looked exactly the same from the outside. When I was a kid, I didn't get this part because I thought Ramona had pulled a soft egg out of her lunch box that had already been peeled. I didn't understand how she could try to smash a soft egg into her forehead. lol I also peeled my eggs before packing them for lunch, so it was confusing to me that she still had an egg with a shell. But it makes sense now. :D (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sophie Crane I Love It As Well, I've Got The Entire Series.

·  64,818 ratings  ·  1,373 reviews

Duane
I may never have read this excellent children’s book had I not read an article in “Business Insider” magazine titled, “the most famous authors from each state”. It also listed their best known book. I like to scan these types of lists out of curiosity, and to find books that I may want to read. Now I didn’t agree with their picks for most famous author in every instance; for example, in Nebraska they chose Nicholas Sparks. While I admit he is well known, and I have even read and liked several of ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona Quimby #6), Beverly Cleary
عنوانها: رامونای هشت ساله؛ رامونای 8 ساله؛ نویسنده: بورلی کلی یری؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: پهاردهم فوریه سال 2005 میلادی
عنوان: رامونای هشت ساله؛ نوشته: بورلی کلی یری؛ مترجم: پروین علیپور، تهران، نشر: افق، کتابهای فندق، 1381؛ در 143 ص؛ شابک: 9643690032؛ چاپ دوم 1382؛ چاپ ششم 1386؛ شابک: 9789643690038؛ چاپ هفتم 1387؛ چاپ یازدهم 1392، چاپ دوازدهم 1393؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی برای کودکان و نوجوانان - قرن 20 م
عنوان: رامونای هشت ساله؛ نو
Julie
It's 1981 and Ramona Quimby is 8-years-old.

She's in the 3rd grade at a new school. . .
and she still doesn't have her own bike.

She's also stuck in after school care with the cold Mrs. Kemp and the annoying Willa Jean. Her older sister's in the heart of hormonal angst, and her father's taking classes in college, resulting in two parents who are stressed about money.

So, when Ramona accidentally overhears her teacher call her a “show-off” and a “nuisance,” she doesn't know what to do. She can't tur
Jane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Beverly Cleary since I was a little kid. I love and enjoy all her book's, but I have to confess that this one has always been my favorite.
It begins with Ramona starting the third grade. She is exited because she will be riding the bus by herself. In this book she meets the boy she name's Yard Ape.
The hard part for Ramona is getting along with Willa Jean.
Some of my favorite moments are the hard boiled egg incident, and when the girl's have to make dinner one night, because
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: life movie stars
Recommended to Mariel by: don't even remember. Probably me 'cause I was cool
Ramona was my heroine. I just adored her. I read every book (published before I turned ten. I've not read the new ones) multiple times. I'd hide them under my desk and pretend that I wasn't reading. I pretended that I was sleeping, sometimes. That was probably worse, but kid me didn't really think of that. Y'see, I did all the wrong things just like Ramona.

Coolest things about Ramona from my memories (books may overlap) :
I loved how she'd pretend that a camera was on her at all times. Just in ca
Tina
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ones-reviewed
For my eighth birthday, a box arrived from my aunt in Los Angeles, and she had sent me this book. Every defining experience Ramona Quimby went through was mine, even though I was living a life totally different than hers. It's obvious that Ms. Cleary's straightforward language and writing talent will live on as long as reading exists. Several years ago, I myself gifted it to my husband's then eight year old little sister, and had the pleasure of seeing her running through the woods of their home ...more
Janete
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Ramona is a very lovely, intelligent and cute girl. And her family is great too! It would be good if every family would get along so well and would stick always together. This reading was difficult for me at the beginning because the vocabulary is a little complex to an English learner and I finished that only with the help of an audiobook.
Jessica
I remember reading this book when I was eight, and feeling so thrilled that I was reading a book just for me.
Shakiba Moein
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: همّه‌ی همّه‌ی هممّممه :]
Recommended to Shakiba by: مامان
دوران دبستان بود که من کتابای رامونا رو خوندم و عاشقش شدم. این چیزی هم که درموردش نوشتم، کامنتیه که توی وب ارغوان گذاشتم و دوستدارم اینجا هم باشه. :]

من شیش ساله که بودم، یه کتابفروشیای بود تو خیابون ولیعصر، اسمش بود کتابفروشی فردوس. بعد از اونجا فسقلیها -شامل پیپی پرکار و جیجی جیشو و تیتی تنبل و امثالهم :)- رو برای اوّلینبار گرفتم و خوندم :) بعد مامانم منُ با رامونا آشنا کرد -به واسطهی کتابِ "ادبیات کودک و نوجوان" که اونموقه داشت میخوند- و من دورانِ شیش تا یازده سالگی رو با این موجودِ دوسداشتنی
snowplum
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to write a review in the spirit of participating in a discussion about whether this book is "dated" and what, if anything, that means for today's young readers.

(Though first let me get out of the way the fact that this IS unquestionably a delightful book, as is the whole Ramona series up to this point. Cleary is a brilliant writer who has crafted a young protagonist who honestly and often humorously depicts the kind of excitement that most people only ever feel when they are young a
Blake Nelson
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to it in my car. Stockard Channing does the narration. I have always said, and still believe the Channing/Ramona combo is the the greatest achievement ever in audiobooks.
Redshirt Knitting
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wow! I loved the Ramona Quimby books when I was a kid. (Who didn't?) But I'm pretty sure the last time I read this book, I too was 8. Reading it as an adult is a completely different experience.

The book is still hilarious, but it's an entirely different set of jokes that cracked me up. The book is thick with a deadpan humor that's obviously meant to appeal solely to adults. Mad props to Beverly Cleary for writing something that is literally fun for all ages.

On the darker side, I had forgotten ho
Destinee Sutton
This seemed sort of dated to me. It's hard to explain why, but it has something to do with the innocence of the Quimby family. They have some money problems, okay, but everything seemed pretty idealized (particularly Mrs. Quimby making three wholesome meals every day--doesn't that seem straight out of the 1950s?). It's not that the book is overly sweet, it's just that it doesn't have any bite. There were two very funny parts that stood out to me: When Ramona came up with "I can't believe I read ...more
ML
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me. I haven't read a children's book in ages, and I was expecting the story to be fluffy and cute. What I actually found was a simple, but accurate view of how a child sees the world - the problems of adults, their own problems (enormously magnified and all consuming) and the joy of being 8 years old, and owning a "Pearly" pink eraser.

This is a great read!
allie
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here Ramona cracks a raw egg on her head, throws up in front of her whole first-grade class, and then learns about being part of a family or something. I once vomited in front of my whole 11th-grade class. Some of us really have it rough, Ramona.
Sam
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love Stockton Channing as the audio narrator for this series. She really captures the characters so well, and I am completely enjoying my slow reread of this series. It's still funny, very classic, and still so easy to recommend to younger readers.
Danielle
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My girls and I listened to this on audiobook and truly enjoyed it. We laughed aloud quite a few times. Such a cute book!
Rachel Fellows
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I was 8ish the last time I read this book and it really resonated with me back then. Now, as the mother of an 8 year old girl, I find it still resonates with me. I just really love everything about this book. The humor, the seriousness, the illustrations, the characters, the simple plot, the authenticity.

There is a passage later in the book when Ramona asks her father what he's studying in college and he answers that he's studying Child Psychology and Development. In other words, he's studying
Lindsey Schwanke
The main character in this book is Ramona Quimby who is eight years old and starting the third grade. There are many changes that happen in this point in her life. Money is tight for her family because her father decides to go back to school to get his degree in art and become a teacher. Her mother works at a Doctors office during the day so she can't pick ramona up from school so she has to go over to her friend Howie's house. She hates going over there because Howie's little sister Willa Jean ...more
Maryam Shahriari
سری 8 جلدی کتابهای رامونا رو به پیشنهاد و برای همراهی و تشویق خواهرزادهی 10 سالهام که تازه شروع به مطالعه کرده است خوندم.
خیلی خیلی از خوندنشون لذت بردم. کتابها با اینکه در غالب داستان برای بچهها نوشته شده بود ولی در اصل روانشناسی کودک بود. بعد از خوندن این سری کتابها دیدم نسبت به دنیای بچهها و کارهایی که میکنند عوض شد. فکر میکنم از بعد از اون روابطم هم با بچهها بهتر شده. از سری کتابهایی هستند که حتما باز هم میخونمشون.
Kelly
I have a feeling Mrs. Whaley did some major ass-covering about what Ramona confronted her with. You know how grownups are: great liars to kids when they've been caught.

The last chapter, though, where the old man pays for the family's dinner out made me D:

I love, seriously love, that money comes up over and over. We never see this thing in kid lit today.
Adrianne
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second of three books the kids and I listened to as we drove through six states this summer.

Yard ape and super foot are endearing names at our house now. I can't believe I read the whole thing! Hahaha!
Janssen
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just LOVE Ramona and this book is one of my favorites. From the egg escapade to the kitten report, I just love it all. Perfect listening in the car this summer.
Kelly
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading the Ramona books, and I still recommend them to students in my elementary library. I think the story, the relationships with her family members, and her antics are timeless.
Joy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All these years later and Ramona still holds up. I have very fond memories of my rather stern 4th grade teacher reading aloud the Ramona books to us after lunch. When Mrs. Carlson would read aloud we saw this whole either side to her.
Kristina Charnecki
Genre: Contemporary Realism

With the all the new changes in the Quimby family, quirky Ramona is just trying to get by as best as she can to help out her family. She constantly worries about the problems faced by her parents, so it is her job to do well in school like her big sister, Beezus, and behave for her after school babysitter, Mrs. Kemp. However certain things like her new teacher, Mrs. Whaley, and Mrs. Kemp’s granddaughter, Willa Jean, are preventing her from doing so. She is trying her b
Erin
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m trying to write a lot these days. Writing things that I feel neither confident about or certain are worth writing, and so I spend a lot of time plagued with self-doubt. Enter Ramona Quimby, whose name I consistently misremember and mispronounce as Ramona Quimbly. I first met Ramona as a child, probably aged 8 or 9. I remember reading her stories and thinking ‘yes!’ and feeling like I understood everything Ramona went through. I loved that bad things happened to Ramona, but that she continued ...more
Brandi Smith
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary's 6th installment in the Ramona Quimby series received the Newbery Honor in 1982 and the Charlie May Simon Children's Book Award in 1983. The target audience is children ages 5-8(P) and it is a contemporary realistic fiction.
In this installment of the series, Mr.Quimby begins studying to become an art teacher. As a result, Ramona's mother has to work longer hours, which means Ramona now has to spend the evenings at Howie's house with Grandma Kemp and, of course, Willa Jean.
This s
Annalise
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never read these as a child, which is a real shame. Once I heard that Beverly Cleary is turning 100 this year and I decided to give the Ramona books a try. I fell in love with Ramona and her family! While reading this memories of my own childhood came flooding back. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
mari
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been listening to these books with my 6 year old daughter. We love them. She has been really enjoying getting to know Ramona for the first time and I have loved hearing them again. These were some of my favorites as a kid. Even the hubby has enjoyed them.
AlexandriaLibraryVA: Has a book quote ever described your situation perfectly? 3 12 Sep 22, 2015 09:32AM
loveing ramona 17 37 Jul 10, 2013 07:12AM
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Snowbound With Betsy
  • The Wish Giver: Three Tales of Coven Tree
  • Ten Kids, No Pets
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)
  • The Great Brain Does it Again (The Great Brain, #7)
  • Rufus M. (The Moffats, #3)

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)
“He was dressed as if everything he wore had come from different stores or from a rummage sale, except that the crease in his trousers was sharp and his shoes were shined.” 15 likes
“grim. “Plenty.” 0 likes