Start by marking “Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)

Ramona Quimby, Age 8

(Ramona Quimby #6)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  67,844 ratings  ·  1,542 reviews

In this Newbery Honor Book from beloved author Beverly Cleary, eight-year-old Ramona Quimby's zest for life is infectious as ever. Whether speaking her mind to her third-grade teacher, or befriending her schoolyard bully, Ramona can't be kept down!

Then one day an embarrassing incident in the classroom leaves Ramona completely humiliated. Can she bounce back from this one?

Published (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona Quimby, Age 8, please sign up.
Ailee You can check it out at your local library for free!
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kim Hampton
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  67,844 ratings  ·  1,542 reviews

Start your review of Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
Duane
I may never have read this excellent children’s book had I not read an article in “Business Insider” magazine titled, “the most famous authors from each state”. It also listed their best known book. I like to scan these types of lists out of curiosity, and to find books that I may want to read. Now I didn’t agree with their picks for most famous author in every instance; for example, in Nebraska they chose Nicholas Sparks. While I admit he is well known, and I have even read and liked several of ...more
Julie
It's 1981 and Ramona Quimby is 8-years-old.

She's in the 3rd grade at a new school. . .
and she still doesn't have her own bike.

She's also stuck in after school care with the cold Mrs. Kemp and the annoying Willa Jean. Her older sister's in the heart of hormonal angst, and her father's taking classes in college, resulting in two parents who are stressed about money.

So, when Ramona accidentally overhears her teacher call her a “show-off” and a “nuisance,” she doesn't know what to do. She can't tur
Jane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Beverly Cleary since I was a little kid. I love and enjoy all her book's, but I have to confess that this one has always been my favorite.
It begins with Ramona starting the third grade. She is exited because she will be riding the bus by herself. In this book she meets the boy she name's Yard Ape.
The hard part for Ramona is getting along with Willa Jean.
Some of my favorite moments are the hard boiled egg incident, and when the girl's have to make dinner one night, because
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Yaaay, Ramona's 8! And Beezus is dealing with growing pains of her own... actually, the whole family is dealing with growing pains, both as a whole and as individuals, so this was a nice book in the Ramona series dealing with realistic problems. There's a reason the Ramona books are so loved, and the author has done a consistently good job with this series.
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: life movie stars
Recommended to Mariel by: don't even remember. Probably me 'cause I was cool
Ramona was my heroine. I just adored her. I read every book (published before I turned ten. I've not read the new ones) multiple times. I'd hide them under my desk and pretend that I wasn't reading. I pretended that I was sleeping, sometimes. That was probably worse, but kid me didn't really think of that. Y'see, I did all the wrong things just like Ramona.

Coolest things about Ramona from my memories (books may overlap) :
I loved how she'd pretend that a camera was on her at all times. Just in ca
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-in-h-f
This book is so fun and interesting. You learn a lot about Ramona and her family. It is also so easy and hard to read at th same time like it has really good details about Ramona like how she felt an ho an e was acting. Also in some parts when you read the author Beverly Cleary tries to make you think about what's happening and see if you could picture the scene in your head cause then, for me it helps me understand a lot more what's happening. I actually love this book is good for adults and ch ...more
Tina
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ones-reviewed
For my eighth birthday, a box arrived from my aunt in Los Angeles, and she had sent me this book. Every defining experience Ramona Quimby went through was mine, even though I was living a life totally different than hers. It's obvious that Ms. Cleary's straightforward language and writing talent will live on as long as reading exists. Several years ago, I myself gifted it to my husband's then eight year old little sister, and had the pleasure of seeing her running through the woods of their home ...more
Janete
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Ramona is a very lovely, intelligent and cute girl. And her family is great too! It would be good if every family would get along so well and would stick always together. This reading was difficult for me at the beginning because the vocabulary is a little complex to an English learner and I finished that only with the help of an audiobook.
Jessica
I remember reading this book when I was eight, and feeling so thrilled that I was reading a book just for me.
Destinee Sutton
My 5yo loves listening to the Ramona books on audio (read by Stockard Channing). I loved these books when I was a kid, too. But imagine my horror when she started calling one of her toys Yard Ape because Ramona says it. In the books, Ramona calls one of her classmates Yard Ape because he teases her. His real name is Danny, but she continues to call him Yard Ape even after they become friends -- like it's an affectionate nickname. In the real world, Yard Ape is a racist slur (https://en.wiktionar ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
After learning to read in kindergarten, Ramona Quimby was my favorite character because I was Ramona, well-meaning, imperfect, messy and never measuring up (in my mind). She made me feel less alone and at times even likable.

When I saw RAMONA QUIMBY, AGE 8 on a kindle daily deal, I grabbed it, eager to revisit the girl I’ve loved for half a century. Just as charming as even, third grade Ramona is dealing with her family’s financial difficulties as her father heads back to school to pursue a new c
Blake Nelson
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to it in my car. Stockard Channing does the narration. I have always said, and still believe the Channing/Ramona combo is the the greatest achievement ever in audiobooks.
snowplum
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to write a review in the spirit of participating in a discussion about whether this book is "dated" and what, if anything, that means for today's young readers.

(Though first let me get out of the way the fact that this IS unquestionably a delightful book, as is the whole Ramona series up to this point. Cleary is a brilliant writer who has crafted a young protagonist who honestly and often humorously depicts the kind of excitement that most people only ever feel when they are young a
Redshirt Knitting
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wow! I loved the Ramona Quimby books when I was a kid. (Who didn't?) But I'm pretty sure the last time I read this book, I too was 8. Reading it as an adult is a completely different experience.

The book is still hilarious, but it's an entirely different set of jokes that cracked me up. The book is thick with a deadpan humor that's obviously meant to appeal solely to adults. Mad props to Beverly Cleary for writing something that is literally fun for all ages.

On the darker side, I had forgotten ho
Settare
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Thinking about it now, when we read Ramona around the same age as the character, we didn't just read Ramona, we were Ramona.

Also, Hobart, oh, uncle Hobart, I was too innocent to realize you were supposed to be cool and hot. Even when you married aunt Bea in the next book, I didn't realize it. Oh well, I don't think Ramona did either.
Rachel Fellows
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I was 8ish the last time I read this book and it really resonated with me back then. Now, as the mother of an 8 year old girl, I find it still resonates with me. I just really love everything about this book. The humor, the seriousness, the illustrations, the characters, the simple plot, the authenticity.

There is a passage later in the book when Ramona asks her father what he's studying in college and he answers that he's studying Child Psychology and Development. In other words, he's studying
Lindsey Schwanke
The main character in this book is Ramona Quimby who is eight years old and starting the third grade. There are many changes that happen in this point in her life. Money is tight for her family because her father decides to go back to school to get his degree in art and become a teacher. Her mother works at a Doctors office during the day so she can't pick ramona up from school so she has to go over to her friend Howie's house. She hates going over there because Howie's little sister Willa Jean ...more
ML
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me. I haven't read a children's book in ages, and I was expecting the story to be fluffy and cute. What I actually found was a simple, but accurate view of how a child sees the world - the problems of adults, their own problems (enormously magnified and all consuming) and the joy of being 8 years old, and owning a "Pearly" pink eraser.

This is a great read!
allie
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here Ramona cracks a raw egg on her head, throws up in front of her whole first-grade class, and then learns about being part of a family or something. I once vomited in front of my whole 11th-grade class. Some of us really have it rough, Ramona.
Sam
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love Stockton Channing as the audio narrator for this series. She really captures the characters so well, and I am completely enjoying my slow reread of this series. It's still funny, very classic, and still so easy to recommend to younger readers.
Lata
Ramona overhears her new teacher call her a nuisance and feels awful. She’s been trying so hard not to be a nuisance at home and at Mrs. Kemp’s after school.
Ramona’s feelings and behaviours continue to be believable and moving as she and her family deal with her father returning to school and her mother working full time.
Danielle
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My girls and I listened to this on audiobook and truly enjoyed it. We laughed aloud quite a few times. Such a cute book!
Runwright
I quite enjoyed the story of Ramona Quimby navigating through the challenges of being a 3rd grader and becoming responsible for a unique task in her family. I thought the story taught a good lesson that good people aren't always perfect but instead, it shows a realistic view of growing pains from the angle of each family member facing a new phase of life and working to master it.
One of the enduring lessons communicated here is in how Ramona learns to control her impulses but also how she learns
Joy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All these years later and Ramona still holds up. I have very fond memories of my rather stern 4th grade teacher reading aloud the Ramona books to us after lunch. When Mrs. Carlson would read aloud we saw this whole either side to her.
Adrianne
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second of three books the kids and I listened to as we drove through six states this summer.

Yard ape and super foot are endearing names at our house now. I can't believe I read the whole thing! Hahaha!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Want to do a reread so will review at that time.
Janssen
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just LOVE Ramona and this book is one of my favorites. From the egg escapade to the kitten report, I just love it all. Perfect listening in the car this summer.
Kelly Kindle
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading the Ramona books, and I still recommend them to students in my elementary library. I think the story, the relationships with her family members, and her antics are timeless.
Brooke
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this as much as an adult as I did as a kid. Ramona reminded me so so much of Otto.
Kelly
I have a feeling Mrs. Whaley did some major ass-covering about what Ramona confronted her with. You know how grownups are: great liars to kids when they've been caught.

The last chapter, though, where the old man pays for the family's dinner out made me D:

I love, seriously love, that money comes up over and over. We never see this thing in kid lit today.

• Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Mikis and the Donkey
  • Three Beloved Classics by E. B. White: Charlotte's Web/the Trumpet of the Swan/Stuart Little
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Clementine (Clementine, #1)
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Freckle Juice
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia, #1)
  • The Year of Billy Miller
  • Goin' Someplace Special
  • The Littles
  • Herman and Rosie
  • Chester's Way
  • Ivy and Bean

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...
“He was dressed as if everything he wore had come from different stores or from a rummage sale, except that the crease in his trousers was sharp and his shoes were shined.” 16 likes
“her teacher had written, without wasting words, that she missed her. Ramona was going to give her book report any way she wanted. So there, Mrs. Whaley. Ramona went to her room and looked at her table, which the family called “Ramona’s studio,” because it was a clutter of crayons, different kinds of paper, Scotch tape, bits of yarn, and odds and ends that Ramona used for amusing herself. Then Ramona thought a moment, and suddenly, filled with inspiration, she went to work. She knew exactly what she wanted to do and set about doing it. She worked with paper, crayons, Scotch tape, and rubber bands. She worked so hard and with such pleasure that her cheeks grew pink. Nothing in the whole world felt as good as being” 0 likes