Start by marking “The Last Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Last Hunt

The Last Hunt

(Unicorn Chronicles #4)

Readers will be on the edge of their seats with this concluding episode of the riveting best-selling series by one of America's most gifted fantasy writers.

In the center if Luster stands an enormous tree called the Axis Mundi, the Heart of the World. But now that tree is wounded, pierced through by magic. And through that wound marches an army of Hunters, led by the sinist
Published June 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hunt, please sign up.

Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How do you review a book you've been waiting all your life to finally read? I began the Unicorn Chronicles as a Second Grader, and finished them eighteen years later. So much changed with these last two books. A very strange but amazing thing happened as I dove into the final two installments. Cara remained basically the same age, lending an air of timelessness to this tale. It brought me back to my childhood, but the world of Luster expanded so much I felt like this series grew up with me. It i ...more
Mark
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Orion...think about it
Recommended to Mark by: the last three volumes
'Belle reflected on how odd it was that telling the tale of the Whisperer and the delvers had caused her to feel some sympathy for the delvers.what strange power did telling a story have, that it could open her heart like this?'

Need I say more really. Coville hits the nail perfectly on the head with this comment. The entering into a story, the walking in the footsteps of another through use of your imagination, can transform your sensitivities to another's plight.

This book is the fourth, the fi
Quill
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a little girl when I started reading this series, and I finished it as a young woman. It's been a journey of over a decade, but I still found this conclusion incredibly satisfying and just as rich as the first two books. My little unicorn-hearted self would have lapped this up. Thank you, Coville, for finishing this.
Becky
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Heather
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've been waiting 13 years for the final book in this series. I hope it lives up to my expectations. *Fingers are crossed*

***SPOILER ALERT!***

... Just finished. I realized about a quarter in that Bruce has really expanded this series. The first book was about 150 pages and had a single viewpoint. This final book is about 600 pages and has close to twenty viewpoints. Perhaps he meant to make this series an epic fantasy all along. But it was not what I was expecting style-wise.

Also, I've never rea
Kaitlin
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
When I first picked up "Into the Land of the Unicorns" (Book I of the Unicorn Chronicles) I was excited. I was young. Bruce Coville spoke to my generation, and seemed to put into words the kinds of adventures I'd always wished I could have, magical and supernatural and otherworldly. I tore through the first book in a day, found the second book almost immediately and ate it up in gulps as well.

Then, years passed between the second and third books. And when the third book ("Dark Secrets") finally
Richard
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying conclusion to Coville's Unicorn Chronicles. I couldn't put this book down until I finished it.

I read the first book in the series when I was in 6th grade. Shortly after, when I found the 2nd book I was ecstatic and read it nearly non-stop. Imagine my horror and surprise to find the rest of the series was not yet available!! Fast-forward more than a few years and I recently discovered that the final two books of the series were now available. I sat down in the space of about a w
Gillian Brownlee
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I started this series as a kid when the first book was published in 1999. I read the first 3 as they came out, and then Coville didn't publish the 4th one until 2010, when I had given up hope and mostly forgotten about the books I loved so much as a kid. But I finally got around to rereading the series, and after 18 years, finishing it.

It was everything I could have hoped for. It's like Coville knew his audience had grown up a bit, because this book was intense. I'm rarely a vocal reader, bu
Kaila
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I uttered a sigh of relief upon starting what I knew would be the last novel in this series. I grew bored of it in book 2, although this book was much better than its predecessors, it still left me a bit flat.

Again with the terrible brown text on cream paper. The cover for this one is quite pretty, although I'm not sure where the dragon's left arm went. Looks like an action book and that's what we get.

A lot of the negative reviews in young adult novels nowadays is because of how sexist they are.
Christine
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I can't even begin to tell you how long I have waited for this book. The Unicorn Chronicles was my childhood favorite, and it broke my heart that it was set up for a sequel and yet none was out. I waited 10 years to finally finish my story. Well, this book and the one before it finally arrived in the mail, so here's my review.

My main issue with this book is all the years that went by between Book #2 and Book #3, because I blame that for the reason this story turned out the way it did. When this
Janni
Jul 23, 2009 added it
(Disclaimer: Bruce has edited not only some of my short stories, but also some of my unicorn short stories. So I'm not an unbiased reader here.)

If my inner 10-year-old has a strong thread of horse girl in her, she has an even stronger thread of unicorn girl. (The two are somewhat entwined, but not entirely.) And she and I have both been waiting for the conclusion of The Unicorn Chronicles for something like fifteen years now. We're not at all disappointed that we waited.

One of the many things I
Jessi Jones
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took the better part of two decades, but I've finally been able to finish this darn series.

What a great ending to the story. Everything was tied up so nicely and the final battle with Beloved was worth it. I specifically enjoyed the new things I learned about Luster and its creation. The great part is the length of the book; it's much longer than the books before it and every loose end gets addressed.

My only disappointments are in how long it took for the series to be completed and publishing
Clearwater Public Library System
A remarkable final book. No plot line is left unresolved, and there is action and mystery galore. Beloved characters do die, and other are transformed in ways no one expected. The end result of the battle with Beloved was as expected, but in my bumble opinion, it was also a case of the author taking the easy way out. The Whisperer’s identity and purpose were quite a surpsise and made the book all the more interesting. A well crafted conclusion to a wonderful series.

-Miss Jessica

This title is av
Kelcey
Well, here we are. Book 4 and final in the Unicorn Chronicles. This has been a journey that occurred over quite a few years, but in a way, I feel like I never left Luster. The world and characters that Coville created were just as fresh in my mind as they were when I loved the books in grade school. I know a lot of this is probably based in feelings of nostalgia. Whatever. I enjoyed it.

At 600 pages, this book is a beast especially for the tweenage demographic that I feel like it best fits, but t
Ashley Briscoe
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
B.P.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Natalie Drozda
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished this fourth book in the series as an adult... only got through the first one as a kid. I was satisfied with the ending and actually surprised at the complexity that this series entailed.

Spoiler alert comments below:

My one complaint is I don't think Beloved would be so stupid to leave Martha unattended in her castle. I didn't see coming the twist with Elihu and the Dimblethum, and I really enjoyed the idea of Fallon taking back some of his own darkness at the end, even though he is a "h
Mary Lubbers
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
This series started out ok (great to my 5th grade self), and steadily went downhill.

This last installment was ridiculous. And not in the good way. Too much of it was melodramatic and frankly just stupid.

Cara was supposed to be the 'strong and capable heroine' but the character is really only about 12 years old, and more importantly we're never shown her doing anything that amazing. Most of her accomplishments are through general manners and being in the right place at the right time. And in thi
Nicole
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was 10 or 11 years old, I discovered the Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville. I fell in love instantly with the story of a young girl who enters the world of unicorns, on the run from those bent on destroying all unicorns.

When I was in middle school, the sequel came out, "Song of the Wanderer." And even at 13 or 14, I still loved it. And, it ended on a total cliffhanger.

It turns out, Bruce Coville returned to the series in 2008, and finished it in 2010.

I'm so glad I got to experience th
Sarah Spelbring
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like the previous book - there is a lot going on here. The last hunt to destroy the unicorns has begun with Cara right in the middle of it. This time she's going to see another dragon, Graumag. The hunters bent on destroying the unicorns are destroying Luster in the process, tremors shake the land.

The world is dying and only one being can heal it, but he is no where to be found. Cara is reunited with the group she lost and even rejoins her father her mother. In the end it takes all the inhabita
Kristen Nelson
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: at-home
Final book in the Unicorn Chronicles.

Cara is terrified. Beloved has literally ripped her way into Luster in order to finish her final hunt. Because of this terrible act, the entire world of Luster is tearing itself apart; the passage that Beloved created tore through the heart of the world - the Axis Mundi. Axis Mundi is a tree, taller than any other - taller and grander in order to contain the heart of Luster. Because of Beloved's treachery, the citizens of Luster not only have to fear Hunters
Ashley
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fiction
May those who have gone before be always with you.

I enjoyed the first two books of The Unicorn Chronicles series, Into the Land of the Unicorns and Song of the Wanderer , but the format changed entirely after the second novel and the story unfortunately went downhill for me.
Katie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the way the story lines came together into resolution. I'm not sure that this series is a re-read for me, but I appreciated the smart and strong female lead character and the generally likable supporting people/animals. I wish the Squijum was real, he made me chuckle with delight through these books. Imaginative and complex, with age-old themes of hubris and redemption, hope and sacrifice.
Amanda
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a terrific close to this story! The third book really began to set-up a much grander mythology for Luster and now all is revealed ... plus many more viewpoints and main characters fleshed out in this beefy book ...

So satisfied to finally finish reading this series after so long, and it did not disappoint. I challenge anyone who has fond memories of the first book to dedicate a portion of their summer to reading the entire quartet and losing themselves in the land of Luster.
Katie
It's honestly a strange experience to finally finish a series I remember starting when I was a kid - the force of nostalgia is strong!

I enjoyed reaching a conclusion, although I thought some of the story threads weren't entirely necessary - but overall I had a good experience and am definitely glad that I discovered that this series had finally been completed.
Beka
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful and thorough ending to the Unicorn Chronicles. It seems like the further along we get in the chronicles, the harder they become to put down. This one is also rather emotional at the end.
Angelina
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
What an amazing experience finishing this series almost 20 years after I read the first installment. I was a bit disappointed that the ending wasn't more rounded out - I had become so invested in the characters that I was looking for more closure.
Lizz Axnick
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful conclusion to an epic story. I loved it.
Jenny
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alright but there is no 11 year old who talks or thinks like this and it was my biggest aggravation in the entire series
Renee Novak-Arze
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wraps things up in a very interesting manner.
Some unexpected twists.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • The Bones of Makaidos (Oracles of Fire, #4)
  • The Unicorn Sonata
  • The Silver Bracelet (The Unicorn's Secret, #3)
  • Dragon Strike (Age of Fire, #4)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill #2)

Unicorn Chronicles (4 books)
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns
  • Song of the Wanderer
  • Dark Whispers
“Still, the painful death of that unicorn had been satisfying to watch” 3 likes
“But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a...a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one.” 3 likes