Start by marking “Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, Book 1)

Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  3,356 Ratings  ·  324 Reviews
Jig is a scrawny little nearsighted goblin-a runt even among his puny species. Captured by a party of adventurers searching for a magical artifact, and forced to guide them, Jig encounters every peril ever faced on a fantasy quest.
Published (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Goblin Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goblin Quest

Kater Cheek
This book will lose most, if not all, of its humor if you haven't played D&D. In fact, it basically reads like a novel version of a D&D game, written from the point of view of an NPC (Non Player Character.) This NPC is Jig, a goblin who falls in with a group of adventurers who are bent on exploring a dungeon, slaying a dragon, and retrieving a wand of enormous power.

For such a by-the-books old school role-playing type adventure, there's a surprising amount of subtlety. One of the most en
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much.

I read it last year, but now I finally treated myself to the two sequels, I decided to read it again. It definitely held up to re-reading.

I don't know how Goblin Quest would seem to people who aren't familiar with fantasy RPGs or post-Tolkien fantasy adventure novels. I enjoy both, on sufferance. Goblin Quest reads to me as though Jim C. Hines interviewed me about EVERYTHING that annoys me about D&D and then set out to write a book to make me feel better.

The protagon
Blodeuedd Finland
I was unsure about this one to be honest, it was the story of a scrawny goblin after all. But I should not have feared, it was a Hines book after all.

This one was amusing, oh those silly humans ;) See Jig lives with the rest of the goblins where goblins live. And sometimes pesky humans aka adventures come into those caves looking for stuff, killing goblins and just being so darn annoying.

And that is what happens. A dwarf, a wizard, a prince and a thief comes looking for something and Jig have to
This is a simple, enjoyable read that makes a goblin the hero for a change. Poor Jig is the runt of the goblin world and somehow ends up on a quest for the rod of creation. Along the way he meets a great many monsters, a necromancer and a dragon.

I can't say that this would ever win any literary awards but it is a fun, not to serious book with a great main character that made me laugh. Think of a smaller, uglier and more cowardly Dresden. I'll grab the rest of the series at some point.

If you nee
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {Don't do school, and stay in drugs}
He was, without a doubt, one dead goblin.

Jig, a tiny, scrawny-even-for-a-goblin, nearsighted little dude who's so small and weak that he still receives the chores of a child, was just trying to get through patrol duty in the underground caverns where he and the entirety of goblin and hobgoblinkind reside.
But the world above, full of adventurers and questers and all that noise, had other plans.

Every adventurer wanted treasure. They seemed to want it more than food or water or air to breathe.

A Fel
Debbie's Spurts (D.A.)
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
EDITED this review space to remove a deleted review from me somehow still displaying.

My ratings should be the only review of books from me showing on goodreads. They are my unincentivized, unconnected consumer product opinions.

The star rating reflects solely my subjective reading experience and resulting opinion of the book according to the rating scale used by goodreads. It's not intended to destroy anyone's livelihood nor to churn out book promotions for them — just my opinion/reaction shared
Dave Hogg
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Jim Hines is a really nice guy. He's a regular attendee at our local SF cons, and I've attended several panels where he's talked about life as a fledgling author. I've also had the chance to chat with him a few times, and, like I said, he's a really good guy.

This year, he was the Toastmaster for ConFusion, the con we have every January. Because of that, and because he's such a nice man, I decided that, well, I should probably read one of his books. Sorry about that, Jim.

I really wish I hadn't w
Dec 04, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jig the goblin in very low on the pecking order in the goblin tunnels.

But one day Jig runs afoul of a group of adventurers. The group is led by a prince with too many older brothers. He wants to prove himself. So with his wizard brother, a dwarf protector, and a young elf thief, they have come to the tunnels to search for the legendary Rod of Creation.

It is said to be deep in the mountain, beyond the terrible Necromancer, and guarded by an ancient dragon. Jig is impressed into service as a gui
Dirk Grobbelaar
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Here's the thing. On any other day I would have given this little ditty 3 out of 5. Today, I'm not feeling that hypocritical. See, I really enjoyed reading this. It is not a literary masterpiece, but it sure is fun. And sometimes, just sometimes, that counts for a lot. Jig the Goblin is a delightful counterpoint to the more commonplace fantasy hero-type. If you enjoy adventure fiction a la Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance you'll certainly recognise most of the conventions here. This is a parody, ...more
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
This book is fabulous! Once I started, I couldn't easily put it down. This book is for everyone who's been in a D&D dungeon crawl, for everyone who cheers for the underdog, and for everyone who wants a good laugh.

Jig is a goblin. He's small, runty, and weak, even for his species. He's very near-sighted and has the unfortunate habit of thinking. He gets shanghaied by a group of adventurers hunting the Rod of Creation. Hilarity ensues.

Luckily for my sanity, this is the first book in a trilogy
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hines does for goblins what Tolkien did for halflings.
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Jig the Goblin trilogy by Jim C. Hines. This was a humorous and entertaining classic dungeon crawl adventure.

Jig the goblin is the runt of the goblin community. When he accidentally gets tangled up on a quest with two humans, a dwarve, and an elf he finds himself having to be more courageous than ever...which is something a goblin never is. Jig will face off against a necromancer and a dragon and become the worshiper of a forgotten god, and all he wanted to do was g
Markham Anderson
May 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Children young enough to swallow this text should not be exposed to the crass tidbits scattered here and there within it.

The author's effective portrayal of what is admirable about the race of Men inspires faith in humankind and in oneself. The storyline turns out to be beyond the mundane and hackneyed. There are many problems for the characters to solve, and several of their solutions are downright foxy.

The voice of the text is exorbitantly juvenile and, of a consequen
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Jig, not goblin.

Actually, it's Jig the goblin in the role of fairy tale Simpleton.

I've broken with D&D tradition and rounded up, in case anyone is keeping track, after all one review rounded down.

Goblin Quest isn't as polished as Hines' The Stepsister Scheme and it seems that Hines hadn't fully developed his style as of yet. In truth, some areas could use a tighter editor.

There, that's the bad stuff out of the way.

Hines is brillant. He's wonderful. He's cool. He's a D&D geek. The am
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So anyone who knows me would find it odd, that I have never read this book before now. I had seen the cover and thought it one of those awful books I just never intended to read.

I am so glad, I changed my mind.

This book deserves 5 stars. Just with any fantasy book you can only judge the character on his deeds and actions. If I was playing d&d and someone played Jig this way... I would let it slide, and love every minute of it, but some GMs are going to find it iffy.

This book is hard to de
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent romp for anyone who likes fantasy, and who's tired of the same old looting-questing-raiding tropes. If you've ever played D&D, in particular, you'll adore the offbeat sense of humour and skewed perspective in this novel.

At times, I got a bit annoyed with the very obvious trope inversions, but then the author would throw some fabulous aside out there, or a really resonant bit of character development, and I'd go back to being in love with the book. It's a fast, fun read, meant to
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious and moreover, unique take on the heroes on a quest story. Sure, we all know how humans, dwarves and elves will band together in collections of well-defined classes to face the horrors of underground temples, tombs and caves in search of powerful but long-forgotten artifacts.

But what about all those evil creatures they face along the way?

Jig is a great protagonist, pragmatic and practical, nearsighted and cowardly but essentially goodhearted and quick-witted. He travels with a traditi
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I no longer remember who first recommended this book... a friend on Facebook or Livejournal, I'm pretty sure. It's been sitting on my Teetering Pile for at least a year, if not longer, until a few weeks ago when I went looking for a paperback to take with me to read on the plane and it caught my eye.

What a fun book!! A marvelous twist on the hack-and-slash, follow-the-fellowship-on-their-quest type of adventure. It's funny, but can still manage to make you think about some of the tropes of the g
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, silly
I was some 200 plus pages through some other trashy fantasy epic when the boredom factor hit my threshold. And I was in the mood for some other different fantasy story, something light, and this looked like fun.... A story about a puny, blue-skinned goblin named Jig with bad eyesight who finds himself pressed into service as a guide underneath the mountain where he lives. His captors are a vain prince, his half-mad wizard brother, a surly dwarf, and a thieving elf girl. And it's got a sense of h ...more
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Chris Koppenhaver
As a D&D geek, I was vastly entertained by this lower deck version of a typical adventure. In addition to the insights into the mechanics of a chaotic evil race, you're also treated to a seat in the front row of party politics.

For those who aren't fellow geeks, there's still a fun story to be had as poor Jig is swept up as a captive by a band of bickering adventurers and gradually develops into a...less pathetic goblin.

Light, fun, and with a few good thinking points, I nearly rated this a f
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people whose opinions I respect recommended this quite highly, so perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. I thought it was fine, it was funny, it was cute... but not more than that. It's a humorous look at a D&D (or similar RPG) from the viewpoint of a NPC, and anyone who doesn't know what all of those letters stand for probably wouldn't like the book at all. I thought it was okay, but didn't see what all of the fuss was about.
Average, but entertaining for teens.

Jig is the runt of his tribe. Scrawny, with poor eyesight he gets the crap jobs no one wants. And of course as fate would have it, he gets captured and is forced to play guide for a bunch of Adventures hunting for some magical trinkets.

Ad a bit of humor and the chance to see the story from the "Monsters" point of few is interesting, but in all the novel hovers around an Average on most points.
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This is very much a tongue-in-cheek type of novel. If you liked the Robert Asprin Myth series, this is as much or more funny. They myth books had a lot of puns. This tells of swords and sorcery from the goblin side. Read it, if only for the laughs!
A story from the goblin's point of view. Not usually my cup of tea, but it was humorous and I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I probably will not bother to read the sequels though.
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siento que subí 11 puntos en la escala de nerdismo con este libro :P
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this book and I can't wait to start the next in the series! !
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I love this book! !!!
Gabrielle Harbowy
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different, fun spin on the traditional dungeon adventure. A very entertaining read!
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Blodeuedd Finland
Shelves: 4-stars, fantasy, z-2017
Review originally posted at

I saw a review for Goblin War on Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell and thought the story sounded so cute, so I decided to start with the first book in the series. I’m really glad that I did. I love Jig. He is a great character.

So, Jig is a goblin. He isn’t a particularly good goblin. He is nearsighted, which makes him clumsy. He starts off the story doing the job that the children do. He isn’t trusted to do the job of adults. That is until a bully comes along a
Ugh. Throw this into the "could have been good"category. This seems to be a theme with Jim Hines. He has some good ideas, but can't follow through (my other time with Mr. Hines being Libriomancer). The book this time though is about a goblin name Jig who the story focuses on. A bunch of terrible D&Dish adventurers come to find the rod of creation in this gigantic cavern. (warning the twist is stupid).
One of the biggests issues that i had with this book was that it really would have benefitt
What did you think? 5 29 Dec 07, 2017 07:33AM
All About Fantasy!: Goblin Quest 13 8 May 12, 2015 10:52AM
  • The Goblin Corps
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Villains by Necessity
  • Greatshadow (Dragon Apocalypse, #1)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #4)
  • Dragon in Chains (Moshui, #1)
  • Fantasy Gone Wrong
  • Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)
  • Shadowbridge (Shadowbridge, #1)
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Sir Apropos of Nothing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #1)
  • The Anvil of Ice (The Winter of the World, #1)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1)
  • Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom, #1)
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
Jim C. Hines is the author of the Magic ex Libris series, the Princess series of fairy tale retellings, the humorous Goblin Quest trilogy, and the Fable Legends tie-in Blood of Heroes. His latest novel is Terminal Alliance, book one in the humorous science fiction Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse trilogy. He’s an active blogger, and won the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer. Jim lives in Michigan ...more
More about Jim C. Hines...

Jig the Goblin (3 books)
  • Goblin Hero (Jig the Goblin, #2)
  • Goblin War (Jig the Goblin, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“That worked great! Thank you so much. What next?"
"I don't know. I didn't expect you to live through it."
“Torches," Porak ordered.
"This is dumb," Jig grumbled as one of the others handed out torches. "Why not run ahead and warn any intruders that we're coming? Maybe we should sing, too, in case they're blind.”