Start by marking “The Nightly News” as Want to Read:
The Nightly News

The Nightly News

As an act of violence spirals out of control to encompass the entirety of the news media, a cult has emerged from the errors and retractions that have ruined careers, marriages and even lives. Under direction from his cult master, The Hand leads an army of followers committed to revolution, willing to die for their cause.

Collecting: The Nightly News 1-6
Paperback, First, 154 pages
Published September 15th 2011 by Image Comics (first published September 12th 2007)

Jan Philipzig
Jun 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Noam Chomsky Meets the Punisher

How do you turn the brilliant but rather prosaic writings of Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Herman into a comic book? Jonathan Hickman came up with this idea: you just copy some of their sentences, then add a few statistics from a recent article on globalization. Oh, and then you throw in lots of self-righteous violence, of course, so that comic-book readers can relate to the whole thing. "Noam Chomsky Meets the Punisher," basically. Sounds like an ill-advised approach
Sam Quixote
Oct 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
A sniper begins shooting journalists and anyone connected to the media, journalists, cameramen, sound guys, all in the name of an obscure cult leader called The Voice. John is recruited to join this mysterious and deadly organisation after a news story destroyed his life where he meets similar people who've had a rough deal from the news companies, wrongful accusations, etc. They begin the fight back against the information monopoly the media corporations hold and the way these corporations abus ...more
Jesse A
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's hard to say how I even felt about the story bc the lay-out was so awkward. Not top line Hickman.
J.G. Keely
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute book. While Hickman never actually throws away his credibility with the word 'sheeple', there is that vibe there. The plot smacks of the convenience that marks conspiracy theory, which is either a reflection Hickman's personal philosophy, a boon to streamline his writing, or both. One always has to fall on one or the other side of the Great Conspiracy, as there seems to be a lot of evidence both ways, but for the cynical, never enough to convince.

Hickman himself admits that the idealism of
Caitlin
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
The Nightly News is the story of a group that becomes labeled as the Cult of the Voice and their attempts to bring justice to corrupt journalists by any means necessary. While the author makes it very clear that he’s not advocating violence, this cult of anti-news activists use a system of identifying corrupt or lazy reporters that have ruined the lives of others by pursuing story rather than fact and kill them on live television. The Nightly News is essentially a treatise against the twenty fou ...more
James DeSantis
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I think my favorite part of this whole book is Hickman's final words. It made the most sense of it all haha.

So what's this about? Well a bunch of news or media people are getting shot in the head. Like Bam, boom, head gone or big motherfucking hole in the head. Why? Because a group of people are being controlled by "The Voice" and told to do these awful things. With a abstract look of it all, not common comic paneling, and a ton of philosophy questions, the comic begins a dark spiral trip down
Josh Epstein
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a rare occasion when I worry that a comic book purchase will land me on a Homeland Security watch list. After reading the first chapter of the elegant hardback that I picked up at Westfield Comics, I was concerned.

The Nightly News was creator Jonathan Hickman's debut work. In it, he attempts to channel the popular rage that films such as Network and OutFoxed attempted to bring to the forefront. The pages are packed with "info-graphics" which (despite many disclaimers stating that the accou
Jordan
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: image_comics
I've heard nothing but gushing praise for Hickman, so I'm going to jump on the bandwagon by checking out all his early stuff 5 minutes before he starts his gig at Marvel.

This book looks amazing. Stylistically, it's like nothing I've seen before. Every page is a feast for the eyes. The story is also just the sort of thing I like, blending Fight Club-subtle political discourse with a wicked sense of humor and wish-fulfillment violence against "the man."

The trouble is, it left me feeling pretty emp
Jeff Raymond
I've enjoyed nearly everything Jonathan Hickman has done, and The Nightly News has been sitting on my bookshelf for some time now, waiting to finally be read.

The book is described in one blurb as a cross between Fight Club and Network, and it's absolutely correct in that assessment. It follows a cultlike group that's effectively killing off news reporters for being bad at their jobs. It's very ultraviolent and extreme, and as a choice, it's not really a bad one. The story is interesting and rea
Nick Kives
This is a real interesting book but I think it was cause I was reading it the same time I was reading Fahrenheit 451.

Nightly News is mimicking movies like Network. They news and all the organizations that own all the news are trying to control us, and to make everyone thing a certain way, much like the government in Fahrenheit.

The story involves a group called The Hand that is starting to attack the news media through brutal attacks and bombings throughout New York City. The problem is that it
47Time
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This comic is certainly different from the mainstream. The page layout hits you first as unique and original. You get the main story together with statistical facts, quotes from a character called the Voice, even facts about physics where they are relevant. Unfortunately, the setup makes it a slow read.

The setting is the modern day when a secretive order is carrying out terrorist acts to punish the corporate media and disable their propaganda. Their order has a cult-like hierarchy with the Voice
Gayle Francis Moffet
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this at random for a re-read after not having read it since--I think--the first time I read it when it came out. I had forgotten most of the plot.

It's the story of a group of people who have been recruited into "The Cult of the Voice" because they have been wronged (or feel they have been wronged) by how they've been portrayed in media stories about themselves. Their goal is to murder journalists because the news can't be trusted.

I'm not sure if this re-read was perfectly timed or perh
Khalid Albaih
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a most read for any one interested in media. “The media is like a big keyboard the government plays”
Olivia
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
My experience with this book is really unique. To summarize: I offered to co-teach a graphic novel in a composition english class next semester as a trial run for me to co-teach a whole graphic novel based English course next year. This is the book the instructor picked for us to teach next semester.

With most comics I can usually tell if it's something I'd want to read in the amount of time it takes to flip through it and read the plot synopsis. If it wasn't for my unique circumstances, I would
Mark
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
"Following the orders from the VOICE, they marched through one of the largest polling companies in New York killing 3 of every 5 employees."

I heard the author's original pitch for this was Network meets Reservoir Dogs. Yep. The mingling of news brokers and power brokers molding public consensus meets a rising cult dedicated to killing those journalists. Running through it all is a cynicism that says both the news and the cult are fundamentally about brainwashing.

The style is highly distinctive,
Jason
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and very apt, raises issues that are always going to be current and a nice bit of storytelling. Cool art as well and put across a part of life & society that has annoyed me for years.
Jedhua
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Book Info: This collection contains The Nightly News issues #1-6.

Other Useful Reviews: J.G. Keely's review, Eleanor's review, Zach's review

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3+/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>

"Believe it, kid... We ain't the good guys... we're killers without conscience, bad men with big ideas. We're the twilight holding off the night... Who the fuck did you think we were?"
– Brother David Cox

description

(Note: If at any point it sounds as if I'm getting too far ahead of myself with specific
Emmy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are the world best leading online newspaper portal. You all are the most welcome in our newspaper.If you want to get regular newslatter from our newspaper, please go home page health news and click the below subscribe button.

World News :
View CNN world news reuters today for international news and videos from Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas. Visit CNN News for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories.

Business News :
The latest CNN Business Ne
Daryl
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked this up at the latest comic book convention I went to without knowing anything about it. My purchase was based solely on Hickman's name (I liked some of the epic, sprawling stories he did at Marvel a few years back). Then I started reading it. Wow. I had some real issues with this book. Let me start by saying that it's really well-written and the art/design style (a mix of comic book art and graphic design photo-realism) is pretty unique. The book for the most part eschews the tradition ...more
Ryan Stanton
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Boy, I can only imagine this read very different a decade ago. I’m a big fan of Hickman, but this is some of his weaker stuff. Not just because it’s his early stuff but because the climate it was written in is so different it hasn’t aged the greatest. For better or worse it probably wouldn’t be published today.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s not bad... it just feels a bit naive nowadays. The complaints about the news institutions are certainly valid. Even more so now. But it falters by painting a slig
Jordan
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, comic-books
I've been reading The Nightly News for almost the past month now; to be honest it's felt like a bit of a tome more often than not. Don't get me wrong, this is without a doubt a work I would label as being classic, bordering perhaps on essential. However, as most classics tend to be, The Nightly News may be best quoted, and left seldom read.

In a nutshell: an anti-media establishment cult, lead by an unembodied anarchist known as "The Voice" has declared war on mainstream media actors and their
Michael
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
Very compelling work. For the first half, I was somewhat dubious about this book. The media is brainwashing us, so a group of people start to kill reporters - but it seemed really obvious to me that the protagonists were just as brainwashed as the people who senselessly trust the media. I mean, they're a cult, for crying out loud!

Fortunately, Hickman adds a great wrinkle about halfway through that attacks that very subject, and he provides several asides throughout the book that discuss how exac
Terry Murphy
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Hickman is never an easy read. He plots out his books with deluberate care, placing traps in the reader's path, ready to snap around your ankle and leaving you wounded. Every issue left me feeling sapped, and that might have dulled my enjoyment. I think that the talent is evident, and the story is inventive and daring...I just don't believe that the story capped off in a satisfying manner. And don't mistake my wording to mean that I wanted pleasant and cheery. I would have accepted stark horror, ...more
Russell
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Anytime I've read something from Hickman I've typically really enjoyed it. The blurbs surrounding those stories always say "I loved Nightly News so I was excited to read this." This led me to believe it was his best thing ever. I thought it was ok.

The design of the entire book is incredible. Though I still had the issue of not being sure who was who at times. The layout and concepts of showing information in new ways kept me engaged.

The story though, held my interest less. It's Fight Club-y whic
Joy
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
While I agree with much of what was said and the art was stylishly good, the format was so annoying, I found myself disliking it very much. The commentary was done in info-graphs and the dialog was punched out in bad poetry slam.

I know the information given isn't conspiracy, I've seen too much evidence to the contrary. But, damn that was hard to read.
Julian Gilder
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Starts very aptly with a Noam Chomsky quote from 'Manufacturing Consent.'

If you regularly watch the news and believe what is reported this is probably not the graphic novel for you.... Or maybe it is....
Peter
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the artwork/style. This is a very important example of reading the forward and afterword, etc of a book. Please pay attention to what the author tells you about their work. Ignore it at your own peril.
Mario
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Hickman's writing AND design ideas are, as always, top notch.
Jonh Smith
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think it's a wonderful book that your story is really great
Blaise Carland
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Big ideas. A little heavy handed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Aetheric Mechanics
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1
  • DMZ, Vol. 12: The Five Nations of New York
  • Scalped, Vol. 2: Casino Boogie (Scalped, #2)
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
  • Sleeper, Vol. 1: Out in the Cold
  • Unknown Soldier, Vol. 1: Haunted House
  • The Infinite Horizon
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at