Start by marking “The Enlightened Gardener” as Want to Read:
The Enlightened Gardener

The Enlightened Gardener

Beset by daily life's trials and tribulations, many people search for the elusive wisdom that will help them make sense of their journey and find inner peace. So, too, do the characters in this wonderful story by Sydney Banks. In this simple but profound tale, four colleagues meet a remarkable gardener whose unique philosophy will forever change their lives. That philosoph ...more
Published March 21st 2001 by Lone Pine Publishing (first published March 21st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Enlightened Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enlightened Gardener

Ana
Apart from some very few psychological concepts which are indeed used today in therapies such as CBT and ACT, this book is a load of nonsense on the clinical psychological side. I'm not even going to discuss the writing - it was too plain to achieve its goal. There are some good ideas in here, but the presentation is severely lacking in all areas.
Irene Grindell
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely little read. Full of metaphors to keep working on the subconscious:)

3 Principles changed my life more than any other work I have done over the last 15 years. So simple yet soooooooo complex.
Beatriz
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story and remarkable man. I love the book, particularly chapters 7 to 12 and 15 have touched me deeply. Very good read for the eternally curious.
Marian Brown
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
for truth, love and insight into who we are, truly this is the only book to read. Everything else is entertainment only. Change your thinking back towards the one you were meant to be, find that peace of mind, it exists, still, within!
Carina
I read this book in relatively small doses, no more than a couple of chapters at a time where possible, and I wouldn't want to try and read it in one go. It's not a heavy book by any means, but I don't think you'd get the most out of it by devouring it in a single sitting. You need to take your time and let the meaning develop and take hold.

That said, I don't think I got a lot out of it completing this in multiple sittings. I think this is a book that will make you think, and ponder, and which y
Alistair Miller
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book about the 3 Principles espoused by Sydney Banks. The 'story' is really a backdrop for explaining how the 3 Principles work. As someone who is interested in the 3 Principles, I found it engrossing. Having the wisdom come from a character, rather than in a factual manner, made it more interesting. It also made it more palatable to understand. This is definitely a book to come back to, then think about for a while, then return.
Grace
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Intro book into consciousness theory presented in an easy to read, and somewhat entertaining format, about a gardener who "knows things". Probably good for those who have not been exposed to the various greater consciousness ideas. Not a lot of depth or explanation. Maybe a step beyond the Law of Attraction ideas.

For those exposed to Robert Monroe, Tom Campbell, William Buhlman, the Seth books or even the ones by Ester and Jerry Hicks, this will be nothing new.
Charles Clarke
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read.

Quite an intelligent novel. Immediately you can relate to the characters within the story, as the author cleverly weaves Wisdom throughout the pages. I'm sure I will revisit this book again and again.
Barry Connolly
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Excellent book, a personal development book written in novel form. One of the more enjoyable books in personal development to read with great wisdom on how thought affects our lives
Lucy's Weight
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read

A must read if you want to deepen your understanding of the three principles. It has made see them in a different light and you can see the transaction of the characters as their understanding deepens.

A book for life for me.
Maryline David
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very effective at introducing Sydney Banks' three principles.
Kevin
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sydney Banks changed my life. Probably sounds like I've joined some cult but it's not like that.
That said, his fiction is utterly horrible - this book included.
Hans Peter Bech
I didn't read it to the end. It may be a good book for others, but it didn't manage to catch my attention.
Benjamin Azevedo
Although I like the Three Principle idea, you may find it better explained from Antti Vanhanen or Neill’s Inside Out.
Helena
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet little book, an easy read, and yet, plenty of opportunities to really get mind-boggled here. I enjoy this way to present the three principles of mind, thought and consciousness, and strongly suggest the book for anyone who want's to get reflective on the way human beings create our very own worlds.
Dana
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
What a great "How to" and little reminder that we need to look beyond the "human factor" and remember that we are all important in our own ways. It is up to us, as individuals, to accept the challenge of diversity and grow within it.
elbren
Aug 31, 2009 rated it liked it
The enlightened gardener : a novel by Sydney Banks (2001)
Angelique
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Horrible, horrible writing, but some good points in there, but man, it took me forever to read because, wow, it was just so poorly written!
Shane Kennedy
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The philosophy contained in this novel has had the more profound effect on my life than any book I have read. The simple story leads to an exploration of how to be truly happy.
Pete Fosnough
Oct 20, 2011
Kelly Rector
May 19, 2019
Stephanie
rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2016
Feb 23, 2013
Lynne Porat
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Somebody Should Have Told Us!
  • The Inside-Out Revolution: The Only Thing You Need to Know to Change Your Life Forever
  • Clarity: Clear Your Mind, Have More Time, Make Better Decisions and Achieve Bigger Results
  • Martha Inc.: The Incredible Story of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
  • Diamond Dust: Stories
  • Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast
  • The Force of Kindness: Change Your Life with Love & Compassion
  • The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles Into Everyday Greatness
  • The Storm Before the Calm: Book 1 in the Conversations with Humanity Series
  • The Mezentian Gate
  • Unbinding the Heart: A Dose of Greek Wisdom, Generosity, and Unconditional Love
  • Real Moments: Discover the Secret for True Happiness
  • Juggling for the Complete Klutz
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: The Process and Practice of Mindful Change
  • To Have and Have Another: A Hemingway Cocktail Companion
  • Treatise on Law
  • Sleep Demons: An Insomniac's Memoir
  • Random Acts of Kindness Then  Now: The 20th Anniversary of a Simple Idea That Changes Lives
“Take that rose bush, for example. We are all looking at the same plant, but our perception of it varies according to the way we each think and see. One person may see a vigorous rose, another may see a rose that could benefit from a little pruning, and a third may see a mess that no amount of attention would save. The rose bush isn't changing; it's the way we personally perceive it that differs, the way each of us thinks that colors our perception.” 1 likes