Start by marking “I Remember...A Memoir of Nazi Invasion Forced Exile and Concentration Camp” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I Remember...A Memoir ...

Lorissa Wilfong Holt

I Remember...A Memoir of Nazi Invasion Forced Exile and Concentration Camp

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember...A Memoir of Nazi Invasion Forced Exile and Concentration Camp

Charissa
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this memoir of Lorissa's life during WWII (she was age 8-11). She lived in the Ukraine under communist rule and then had to deal with Nazi brutality when they stormed Kiev. Eventually she was put into Dachau. In 1950, she was able to emigrate to the U.S. and be sponsored by kind people in Emmett, Idaho. Her story was amazing. Here is a quote I loved by her:

“Night after night, Grandfather poured his memories out to us. This was our inheritance, not the treasures of the world but
Robin
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An important book to read. A true story of a young girls captivity and survival during WWII. From her the disappearance of her father from their home in Ukraine by the KGB, to the gut-wrenching story of survival during the German occupation of Kiev, and her and her mothers abduction and years of suffering in German work camps in Poland and Germany until the American liberation of Dachau in 1945. I have been to Dachau (as well as Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland), more than once, and it was extremely ...more
Peggy
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
The author lives in Emmett, ID and I will be meeting her next month for Q&A. Must be ready. Lorissa was 8 when she was taken to Dachau with not much hope of survival.
What a pure soul. She harbors no anger against her captors and those responsible for Holocaust. She has since spent two years in Peace Corps, giving back to others.
Beth Smith
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book about 1 year ago in Boise Idaho for a book group. This book is an amazing story! The author appeared at the book group meeting. It was wonderful listening to her story and being able to ask her questions that really bothered me.
Cathy
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Written by a friend of a sister of a friend, about her life in Kiev and on to Emmett, Idaho.
Michelle
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I would love to hear the author, who lives in a nearby town, speak. Her story is amazing!
Kat
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My grandmother is/was friends with Ms. Holt in Emmett and my copy is a review copy signed to my grandmother.

Amazing story.