Start by marking “Green Witch (Green Angel, #2)” as Want to Read:
Green Witch (Green Angel, #2)

Green Witch

(Green Angel #2)

From bestselling author Alice Hoffman, a resonant tale of overcoming grief and tragedy, as only she could tell it.

In this powerful, lovely sequel to GREEN ANGEL, Green must learn the stories of a number of "witches" and free her true soul mate from a prison as she grapples with life, love, and loss in a post-disaster world.
Published March 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Green Witch, please sign up.
Hazel Green Angel definitely didn't need a sequel. Green Witch read like a fan fiction book, but I don't want to discourage you from reading it if you want…moreGreen Angel definitely didn't need a sequel. Green Witch read like a fan fiction book, but I don't want to discourage you from reading it if you want to hear more closure. The literary quality is nowhere as good as the predecessor though.(less)

Hazel
Mar 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
It felt more like fan fiction from a fan who wanted to continue writing about the characters that left in Green Angel. Also, a fantasy novel shouldn’t mean that all the rules can be broken. There must be some believability in it. Too many things were convenient and way too safe for a place that’s supposed to be in a dangerous post-apocalyptic setting. This is also clearly a sequel that cannot be read alone or out of order, so every time Green kept talking about her past, it felt like that made u ...more
Heather
I've read so many books lately where they all sound the same and the characters are stereotypical. That's probably why I found this book to be a little gem. It's just a mere 135 pages long, but it's full of beautiful, poetic detailing. Hardly any dialogue, which I'm not used to, nevertheless, it makes sense because of the nature of the story and the loneliness of the characters.

This book had tragic to romantic imagery and emotions. Maybe it's the books I've read recently or the mood I'm in toda
Ana Mardoll
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Green Witch / 978-0-545-14195-6

A direct sequel to "Green Angel", this novel is that most rare and lovely of sequels - one that makes you appreciate the first all the more. Whereas "Green Angel" explored the deep themes of pain, loss, and rebirth in the aftermath of a terrible tragedy, "Green Witch" explores the growth and renewal that can take place after that rebirth has occurred.

In the same dreamy, magical realism tone employed in the first novel, the titular character Green travels through
Melanie
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time following this story and didn't really like it...I feel like maybe the genre isn't for me? Or maybe I needed to have read book one first? I didn't like how the dialogue was written in the book (italicized and not in quotes), but that's just a minor dislike. All in all, just not for me.
Hannah Timm
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Personal Response
This book was very interesting. I was confused in the beginning about what was all happening. But then I learned that Green Witch is a sequel to Green Angel which I should have read first. Except for all my confusion, I really like the book. The witchs’ personal stories were interesting and the objects they gave Green were unique. The author did a great job relating all the characters and objects without being too cheesy. Overall, I quite enjoyed the book.

Plot Summary
Green thou
Quinten Kempf
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response

Personally, I really liked the book Green Witch. The fact that the whole book is in first person only adds to the book's story. It makes it feel like the book is written by the main character and is not just any old fairytale and considering the main character is a writer makes it even more believable and makes the story flow a lot better.

Plot Summary

The book is about a girl named Green who lost her family and the love of her life to a radical terrorist group called The Horde. S
The Unsafe Lorekeeper
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
Where "Green Angel" broke me open and slowly began the journey of healing, "Green Witch" continues the story of what it means to move forward after loss.

I loved the imagery and the broad truths spoken about life. However, I wish the author could have fleshed out Green's journey a bit more. Meeting the different witches felt abbreviated, and the lessons each witch had to teach didn't hit with the same emotion I felt in the first book. Still a fantastic read and worth incorporating into your life!
tenzin
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ebook
This is beautiful and magical as the first book Green Angel. I love how to story finally winds up with people coming together, adversity overcomed and hope of better future established. The way the story is told is fairytale like. I love the element of magic and adventure in this.
Amanda Hoffmann
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This sequel was even better than Green Angel. Alice Hoffman's prose is lyrical, reminding me of Francesca Lia Block with less sex and drugs. This story is short but complete, without "filler" events and tangled plot twists.

Green Witch is a fairy tale narrated by Green, a sixteen-year-old who has lost her entire family to a destructive fire set by the Horde (not the same Horde from She-ra ;). Green lives alone in a cottage nearly obscured by her thriving garden. Her magic causes the plants to flo
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found out about this book because my daughter was interested in reading Green Angel. I searched here on Goodreads and to my surprise--and excitement--found there was a sequel. Then I found it at the local library and just had to borrow it.

My daughter actually read it before me, and she told me it was lovely. I picked it up yesterday and read it in a few sittings... and she was right. This is another beautiful, haunting, heart-breaking story about Green. She lost everything a year ago, but is n
Alissa
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Green Witch picks up where Green Angel left off. A year has passed since the city across the river was destroyed, leaving the residents of the village to pick up the pieces, rebuild the best they can, and mourn those who were trapped in the city at the time of the catastrophe. Green, now 16 going on 17, has shed her armor of nail-covered boots and leather jacket and has become Green once more. Everything she touches revives and thrives--everything, that is, except for her own heart, which broke ...more
Grace
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-or-syfy
Sequels can be incredibly hit or miss, but I'm happy to say that Green Witch did a good job. A continuation of where Green Angel left off, this shows more of the world and more of the enemies and what they did. This is what started Green Angel's story: the enemies destroying the city and how people reacted to their murdered families.*

The writing was just as good as before, the characters grew and we were introduced to new ones. I feel like the witches all seemed to blend in with each other, thou
Anne Osterlund
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Green is on a mission to record the stories of the people who survived the disaster. Those who watched friends and family burn when the Horde attacked. Those who lost everything they had once valued. Or failed to value.

And most of all, the stories of The Enchanted—the women who are now being described as witches.

Green herself has power. The power to turn ash into living, growing life.

But does she have the power to love? And the strength to seek that story for herself?

Green Witch, Alice Hoffman’s
Shawna
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is another beautifully written book by Alice Hoffman. I loved the book before this one so I was excited to read this one and a little nervous at the same time. I was so glad that Green Witch went was worth reading and read like the first book. I will definitely be reading both of these books again soon.

Since I finished the book today, I had to make a trip to the used book store tonight to some more books by this author. I am happy that I came home with 4 more books. Now the fun decision of
Ruth
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
This book is haunting and beautifully written. It's a short book, but it creates characters and a world that totally engaged me. A young woman finds herself after her world is destroyed.

I also read Green Angel, the first of the two books, but I was captivated by Green Witch. This may become a trilogy. I hope Alice Hoffman writes more about this world and this young woman named Green.

Just re-read this book along with the companion title, Green Angel, and I still think this is a beautiful tale w
Sherry Dale Rogers
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
Breathtaking does not even begin to explain the sheer beauty of writing between these pages.

Hoffman captures the readers mind and heart taking us on a journey to face our fears and embrace the difficult. Between the pages a romantic elegance is captured in the way this story is written. Not just romance between characters but a romance between reader and writer.

I applaud Hoffman for this remarkable read. Truly a diamond. I recommend to all.
Desiree.osman osman
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was kind of slow in the beginning but as I kept reading, it got a lot better. It is a book about a girl living life after a major tragedy and trying to fulfill her future. It wasn’t my favorite book though, because I don't think there was enough description so you had to really think about things while you read.I recommend this book for anyone that likes a good book book about bravery and adventures.
ilovebakedgoods (Teresa)
Love the magical elements of this book, and the overall message it seems to be sending to those who want to terrorize, those who want to destroy what they do not believe in. Love conquers all, as they say. You can't stop people from rising out of the ashes and beginning anew. Human strength and spirit cannot be stifled.

Take that, terrorists!

Raven
I first read Green Angel, the first book in the Green Angel series, when I was a child. I fell in love with Green's story and Green's ability. I have always been attracted to heartache. I think that is because I was raised in heartache. Stories have always been my sustenance from childhood into adulthood. I have also always loved gardens. I desperately want to grow my own even in my little apartment in the city. I feel like gardens are as essential for life as stories are. Growing things seem to ...more
Ameer
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The green witch is a book that has a lot of stories. It’s about a girl that lost her family and the boy she loves. She was trying to find them. She had to look for women’s stories that are considered as a ‘witches’ because of the things they use to do back then. The book takes a place in a city that got destroyed by the militias. The militias were living in back then days instead of living the future. They destroyed the city and killed some people. Made women stay home, and men to work. The work ...more
Cari
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Green Witch was the sequel to Alice Hoffman's YA post-apocalyptic tale, Green Angel. One of the other reviewers on Goodreads stated that it felt like this was a work of fan-fiction written in order to keep the characters of Green Angel alive, due to the contrast in the over all quality of this book versus the first. While I totally see what this reviewer is saying and agree that this sequel was not quite as flawlessly written, it still contained enough magic and beautiful words that I enjoyed ev ...more
Victoria Swisher
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Green has lost everything. In the wake of disaster, she tries to find meaning in her life and a reason to go on. Just when things seem hopeless, she embarks on an adventure to find the witch who can grant a hearts desire in order to find some of what shes lost, including her true love. After meeting with four different women thought to be witches, each one leaving her with a useful gifts, she finally finds what she's looking for, but not how she thought she would find it.
I thought this book was
Christina
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books! Some of the best story telling I've ever read, I couldn't out them down!!

Such wonderful story telling. Full of beauty and emotion. A story that any one of any age would love to read! I read the first one Green Angel and I could not out them down, could not wait to get back to the stories, so true about how things in life really are. Wonderful reading! I'm so glad I found them! Alice Hoffman is a very talented writer and I will be reading more of her books in the future!
Dawn C. Crouch
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually not enthusiastic about sequels but Green Witch reads as a natural continuation of Green Angel and is ultimately satisfying and suspenseful!! I read the book on a long red eye flight after the Thanksgiving and was so happy that the read was as captivating as the first. A great finish to Green's story. Grateful for the hope and positive outlook in the aftermath of devastation and disaster. Yes!!!
Hailey Stalter
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not as good as Green Angel, in my opinion. It seemed to me that nearly the whole beginning could've been cut and meshed with Green Angel just to make it a little longer. Perhaps an epilogue. Let's be honest these books weren't very long to start with.
But all of that aside I still enjoyed it and the message that came across. The ending was especially nice, and rather a joyful one, which I happen to enjoy quite a bit.
Overall a 3.75/5 for a quick, happy read.
Ashley Lynne
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
I was a bit more invested in the story at this point than I was in the first book.
Overall it was good but nothing unique or groundbreaking.
This duology would be a good place to start if you want to try out dystopia for the first time or if you're looking for a dystopian book that is good for young readers.
It would also probably be helpful to note that unlike most otter dystopian books, there's no politics at all in the story.
Dõmi
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Such a wonderful sequel!! I enjoyed all of the different stories told by everyone who experienced a loss in the previous book. I admit they were sad but moving on a rebuilding you're life isn't so bad. I loved this book.
Erika
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read. Not as good as Green Angel. It doesn't even really seem like a sequel to Green Angel given that it repeats many of the main things that happened in the first novel, to expand upon. It was nicely written and I enjoyed it, just not as much as I wish I did.
Linda Owen
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the happy ending to Green Angel; the community so devastated in the first book has pulled together. Green finds out that Diamond is imprisoned, as is Heather, and she frees them all, with the help of others. Quick read.
Amy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A happy ending to Green's story.
Dude! A Sequel to Green Angel?! What?! 13 48 Feb 10, 2013 09:28PM

• Serendipity Market
  • Centuries of June
  • Secret Keeper
  • Riding Invisible
  • Medicine Road (Newford, #20)
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • Someday This Will Be Funny
  • Poisoned Honey: A Story of Mary Magdalene
  • The Possibility of Fireflies
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse, #3)
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • Frances's Story (Quantock Quartet, #2)
  • Names Will Never Hurt Me
Alice Hoffman is the author of more than thirty works of fiction, including The Rules of Magic, The Marriage of Opposites, Practical Magic, The Red Garden, the Oprah’s Book Club selection Here on Earth, The Museum of Extraordinary Things, and The Dovekeepers. She lives near Boston.

Green Angel (2 books)
  • Green Angel (Green Angel, #1)
“I'm at the point where going forward is easier than going back.” 47 likes
“What you dream, you can grow. Someone told me that, but I didn't believe it. I said I had nothing and that people with nothing are unable to dream. But I was wrong.” 23 likes