Start by marking “Earthway (Ella Clah, #14)” as Want to Read:
Earthway (Ella Clah, #14)

Earthway (Ella Clah #14)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Ella Clah has found her place on the Navajo Reservation, in her tribe, her clan, and her family.  She has seen the Diné at their worst—and at their best—as they balance the modern era with the traditional Navajo way of life.

The Navajo are building a nuclear power plant on the Reservation.  Though the tribe voted for the plant, there are those who believe that nuclear powe
Published October 27th 2009 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about Earthway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthway

Connie
May 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Thurlo books were recommended to me by B&N staff as a comparable mystery to Hillerman. I chose this book to begin with, to determine if, in my opinion, it had the Hillerman technique. I thought the plot was almost grindingly fast. . . and missed the narration of the scenes, the depth of contemplation that an investigator must have to move on so quickly into the next clue. The plot was very good but I felt the characters were rushed in too quickly and although familiar with the geographic ...more
Nancy Wilson
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I have finally figured out what it is about this series that bugs me so. Pages and words are spent to set up the situation and all the supposed players--a bit of home and personal life is woven in but about 3/4s of a way in the miscreant's name is finally dropped and then in a full gallop Ella and her team tie everything up and it is over. It defies logic. Not sure where that leaves me and the series. I guess we will see.
James
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book wasn't bad, though there were times when I had to roll my eyes at how naive this "former FBI agent" could be. But overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Doris
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ella Clah returns in Earthway, as she investigates the near-death by bombing of her current romantic interest, focusing on the college where he teaches and the nuclear reactor being built on the reservation. We also get to see the outside world reaching in to tap a good resource when former FBI agents ask her to be part of their newly formed private firm.

The story itself centers on the ability to use people who are related in some way, or close to their neighbors in a way mostly forgotten in thi
Little Fish
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was this ever EXCITING, READ UNTIL I couldn't read any more in a day!
The Navajo/Dine People were taking control of their environment by building a Nuclear Power Plant, and of course there were those against it.
This another one of Ella Clah, Navajo Police Special Agent Mysteries and it is GOOD! There was a bombing in a Classroom, what did it have to do with the Power Plant? Did it? Who did it? Where were they? Why? So many question and so little time to answer.

and the many things I learned about
Catherine Woodman
I agree with another reviewer--the ending really dragged out in this latest installment of the Ellah Clah series--I am thankful that she is no longer sniping with the father of her child. I know, they were never a couple to speak of, but it got old. THe book focuses almost exclusively on the crime, which is a balance that is not ideal for me. I prefer murder mysteries where there is about equal parts personal life with the story of the crime. Maybe that was part of it. But I think there was jsut ...more
Dee
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great addition to the mystery line -- and a Soho Mystery! Ella Clah is a Navajo who is also, like Joe Leaphorn, a tribal police woman. Her handing of the case involves lots of willing help from all kinds of other police - the FBI, the Sherrif, other counties, and lots of cell phone and modern technologies. These folks don't seem to be too worried about privacy or civil rights -- but of course the right people get put in jail. Lots of good worries and lots of good thrills.
Meredith
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the 15th title in the series, and the authors keep giving us more police procedural plot details instead of developing the characters more. We come back for the relationships between the characters, but poor Justine and Rose have barely changed in the last few books, and while we've gotten peeks at Ella's development, it's not enough. Even the crimes have gotten repetitive. Where's the excitement of the first 5 books? Maybe it's time to retire Ella. :/
Douglas
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another great mystery on the Navajo reservation! The Thurlo's always have a great story while further filling out the cast of characters that are in the books. They have a great way of bringing you up-to-date without making you feel like you missed something. The mysteries show good honest police work with logical narrowing of suspects and events. Even though there is still discussion of the Navajo way to find balance there is less and less mysticism as part of the solving the crimes.
Kitty
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ella Clah is a Navajo Police Special Investigator. Her love interest, Ford, is a minister, and 2 attempts are made on his life. How is that connected with the nuclear reactor being built on the reservation? Twists and turns of the plot take Ella to a cultish religious community, an abusive husband, and a college campus. Good inclusion of the "Navajo way" customs.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Navajo police officer Ella Clah investigates the attempted murder of the minister that she is dating and uncovers a plot to destroy a nuclear reacter being built on the reservation. Her daughter is visiting the girl's father in Washington, DC. Clah must also consider a job offer that would take her from the reservation to the nation's capital.
Michael  Starsheen
Another great entry in this series

I gave this book five stars because it was suspenseful; a good read. I enjoyed the story and the interplay of the characters and the Navajo culture. I will be interested to see what happens in the series.
William Wynn
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Love the Navajo Way!
Mircats
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's readable, but don't know that I'd go back to it again.
Thea
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cannot wait to read the next book in this series.
Lynn Kearney
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it
There's lots of Navajo lore which I find interesting. The tone is rather didactic, though, and the plot is ho-hum.
Cindy
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of the best so far. I love this series.
Nicole
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really like these authors, but it seems like the stories are starting to just repeat themes and stories as the series goes along.
Catherine Martin
This is a great series. Better than Hillerman. Fully developed characters. You can see the beauty of the Rez through her eyes.
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable outing in the Ella Clah series with a closed case at the end, but personal issues left - no doubt - for the next book.
Michele bookloverforever
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Navajo customs and traditions. great characters. strong woman police detective. good plot.
Jay Sprenkle
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice mystery with an interesting twist to the plot. I liked the characters and connected well with them.
Gail
Jan 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Not as good ad the others, but still good. I think I'm getting towards the end of this series. I don't know what to read next, but I think I am now a mystery fan.
Marie Hartle
Jan 18, 2014
Joann
Jul 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)
  • Dance of the Thunder Dogs
  • The Silent Spirit (Wind River Reservation, #14)
  • Blue Rodeo
Aimee and David Thurlo are the authors of the Ella Clah mysteries, the Sister Agatha mysteries, the Lee Nez vampire novels all set in New Mexico. David grew up on the Navajo Indian Nation, and Aimee, a native of Cuba, lived in the southwest for forty years.

Aimée passed away peacefully at her home on the morning of February 28, 2014, after a brief struggle with cancer and related complications. She
More about Aimée Thurlo

Ella Clah (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Shooting Chant (Ella Clah, #5)
  • Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6)
  • Changing Woman (Ella Clah, #7)
  • Tracking Bear (Ella Clah, #8)
  • Wind Spirit (Ella Clah, #9)
  • White Thunder (Ella Clah, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)