Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #5)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  3,303 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A young Sherlock Holmes arrives in London to begin his career as a private detective, catching the eye of the master criminal, Professor James Moriarty. Enter Dr. Watson, newly returned from Afghanistan, soon to make history as Holmes’ companion...

By turns both shocking and exciting, David Stuart Davies’ controversial take on the Holmes mythology is a modern classic in cri
Published November 17th 2009 by Titan Books (first published 2004)

Charles Prepolec
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Ah, the delightful world of ‘what if’. What if everything we thought we knew about Dr. John H. Watson was a lie? What if Watson wasn’t really Watson? What if the events surrounding the momentous meeting between Holmes and Watson in A Study in Scarlet was all a set-up orchestrated by that criminal mastermind Moriarty? What if David Stuart Davies took the above as a starting point for a new pastiche?

Well, to answer the last ‘what if’, the result is David Stuart Davies first pastiche to be publishe
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't much care for Davies' Holmes vs. Dracula novel, 'The Tangled Skein'. This one, however, was pretty good. It's a daring and plausible take on the Baker Street sleuth and his supporting cast, one in which Moriarty's network of associates include a disgraced army Doctor back from Afghanistan, a middle-aged actress named Kitty Hudson and a burly gent who frequents the Diogenes Club...

The mark of good Holmes pastiche is that it makes you look at the canon with new eyes, at least for a while,
Joanna
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Joanna by: Baker Street Irregulars
Shelves: anglophilia, crime, 2000s
I loved the concept, but I felt the execution was lacking. It seems like Davies pulled his punches. As a result, it doesn't make anyone very happy, not purists or people accepting of a non-traditional Holmes story. But it's not bad... just boring, in a way. In fact, I lost most of my interest in the middle of the book, when it became a pretty straightforward retelling of A Study in Scarlet. Which, if I wanted to read, I would just... read. It's a good thing I got through it, because it does pick ...more
Kati
Cathrine Bonham
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who read fan fiction
Shelves: sherlockia
Bad writing plus unoriginal plot elements equals Fan-fiction at its worst. First I will tackle the bad writing. Constant P O V shifts between first and third person, omniscient head hopping and more telling than showing. All rookie mistakes that I admit I am guilty of myself. The difference is that I do not have a published novel.

The only unique element in this book that Watson is really working for Moriarty. The professor hired ex Army doctor, John Walker, to spy on an up and coming young mind
Nathalie
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
N’ayant pas lu les œuvres de Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, je ne peux pas vraiment juger de la qualité de cette « réécriture » par rapport à l’original, mais ça a fonctionné pour moi.
Une pointe d’humour British comme je l’aime, des personnages très crédibles, je n’ai rien trouvé à redire.

Mon avis complet ici : https://nathouelecture.wordpress.com/...
blushenka
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Erin Britton
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
David Stuart Davies is certainly a very brave man, for with The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective he has produced a radical re-imagining of the Sherlockian world of Arthur Conan Doyle that is sure to polarize fans of the world’s greatest consulting detective. Sherlock Holmes, as created by Conan Doyle, has inspired a loyalty and devotion among readers that is quite unrivalled. It is hard to imagine any other fictional character who still receives fan mail and requests f ...more
Bev
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Monica
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This pastiche novel makes for a swift read. It starts with a bang: without giving you major spoilers –that you can read on other’s reviews anyway- everything we read in “A study in scarlet” was a setup by the very own Moriarty to follow up the steps of our consulting detective.
The novel lags in the middle but still the author manages to keep us turning the pages to find out what is next. Some may find annoying the change of the POV from first to third person but I find it a valid narrative reso
Satyaki Mitra
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This was probably the least engaging Sherlock Holmes pastiche that I've ever come across, the premise itself seemed so preposterous at first that it took me sometime to get used to it, but in the end I was left disappointed. The story completely lacks Doyle's signature style of writing, that sense of intrigue and suspense which makes a good Sherlock Holmes adventure, this novel basically provides a sort of backstory to the Sherlock Holmes and Watson characters albeit not a very convincing one.
I
Teddy Elizabeth
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my absolute favourite book adaptations of Sherlock Holmes. It's written very well, and draws you in and keeps you focused. The relationship between Holmes and Watson is especially interesting in this book, as it differs greatly in some ways from canon, but not in an absurd or unbelievable manner. I'd recommend this book to everybody, especially those who enjoy Sherlock Holmes stories and mysteries.
Ken
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
Davies re-writes the origins of the Holmes/Watson/Mrs Hudson relationship and even throws in a curve ball about Mycroft. While generally, I prefer that pastiches merely add to the Holmes casebook and not redefine the characters, I did find the book enjoyable.

I only gave the book three stars as I was just a little disappointed with the re-working of several major Holmes events.
Leah
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Payton Cooke
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
As I consider myself such a fan of the Sherlock canon and of Anthony Horowitz's Moriarty and The House of Silk I was eager to read David Stuart Davies' interpretation of my favorite character.

Having just closed the covers I can say with confidence that I was not disappointed in any sense. Davies has crafted an entirely unique take on the chronological plot of Sherlock, from Watson's arrival in A Study in Scarlet up to the conclusion of The Final Problem while at the same time using a style of w
Rose
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries, holmes
I adored Davies's Holmes pastiche "The Ripper Legacy," and I thought the premise of this one was a fascinating idea.

But it just didn't come together for me. I found myself reflecting on James Lovegrove's "Shadwell Shadows" -- another book which operates under the premise that Dr. Watson wrote an abbreviated version of the truth in his original accounts of Sherlock Holmes's adventures. But while Lovegrove took it upon himself to write a wholly new mystery, with only a few elements and references
Zoe Glanville
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this pastiche and the new twist in the historic meeting between two great characters. This gives new life and answers some of the little questions and coincidences in " A Study in Scarlet" such as its quite a bit of a coincidence for Stamford to meet up with Watson in that hotel just as Watson arrives in London. It also gives Watson a bit more depth in his character and some meaning. This is a must read for all Sherlock fans.
Richard Pett
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its' certainly a controversial take on the cannon but as a lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan I have to say I enjoyed it as an alternative fresh - darker - view. I can see some fans really not liking David's take on things but I greatly enjoyed it, very clever and excellently written by an obvious Holmes expert of the highest order, recommended for any Holmes fan.
Maurice
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first in the series that I've read, a new twist on the relationship between Holmes and Watson.
Calvin Daniels
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
A very interesting re-imagining of the SH lore. It would be a five except so much of the story is often retold bits of Holmes canon.

You can come at things from a different angle but the underlying story is just do familiar that it bored in places.
Matthew Kresal
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Sherlock Holmes may well be the most written about fictional character in the world. Outside of the various tales written by Holmes' original creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, there's also been a legion of pastiches expanding or even reworking the Holmes canon that he created. One of the most fascinating examples of the latter is David Stuart Davies' The Veiled Detective.

Davies tale might be one of the most radical reworkings of the canon that doesn't update it for whatever “present day” it's bein
Trevor
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Here we have an awesome concept hampered by lackluster execution. This "secret origin" of Sherlock Holmes reveals that Moriarty learned of the detective's skills very early on (almost immediately after Holmes arrived in London), and being both intrigued by the man and realizing he might be a threat later, Moriarty decided to keep tabs on Holmes by placing undercover agents into his life....namely, John Watson and Mrs. Hudson. This is a GREAT idea, but what is rather disappointing is how little D ...more
Paul
Ce livre est en fait composé de plusieurs petites histoires, faites je pense pour présenter Sherlock et ses méthodes, ainsi que chaque personnage dans son environnement d'origine. L'idée devant être ensuite de voir tous ces éléments se rencontrer et donner l'aventure principale.
Sauf qu'en conséquence, cela coupe l'élan qu'on avait commencé à prendre en lisant une de ces péripéties et on est obligé de reprendre un cours de récit différent toutes les 80 pages.

Pourquoi avoir tenu à commencer le liv
Rozonda
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stuart Davies is an excellent editor and compiler of detective stories, but he's also a gifted writer. He proves it so in this excellent Sherlockian pastiche that is able to sustain a very original concept and make it believable. Recommended.
Tiana Hanson
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
I'm a bit torn in this review. The book was very well written, and handled the multiple perspectives very well. I enjoyed the characterizations, and the idea of Moriarty controlling every aspect of Sherlock's existence from the famous 221B to Mrs. Hudson to Mike Stamford and the first meeting of Watson and Holmes.

The trouble with running a "what-if" story that takes pieces of canon (specifically Study in Scarlet and The Final Problem) nearly word-for-word out of the original canon is that I sta
Bailey Marissa
Timothy Tobolski
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Caitlin
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
At First i did not like this book. I realize that this series allows authors to take liberties with the characters but when the author changed the whole backstory of Watson's character, i did not like the change. I admit i lobe ghe original Sherlock Holmes Series but I dont mind a few liberties but this book had a lot.

As i kept reading though, i learned to like it and i will probably read more of the series.

So if you want to read somethig orginal, using classic character and don't mind the clas
John
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
This is a solid Sherlock Holmes story. It is very clever but does take several liberties with the original stories. I feel like you get more out of this book if you have read the original Doyle books that the stories within this book are based on. If you have, you will appreciate the additions to the originals unless that type of thing annoys you. I believe the stories this book addresses are the cases in "A Study in Scarlet", "The Greek Interpreter", "The Sign of the Four", and "The Final Probl ...more
Anna
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ah, I love the smell of a crime scene in the morning. Holmes made quite a wonderful entrance into the world of third class, shoddy literature, and greatly entertained me. Davies adds his own twist to a classic character, without running out the door and flying to Puerto Rico with it ( which many authors tend to do.) Bravo, bravo.
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Angel of the Opera
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
David Stuart Davies was born in 1946. He was a teacher of English before becoming a full-time editor, writer, and playwright. Davies has written extensively about Sherlock Holmes, both fiction and non-fiction. He is the editor of Red Herrings, the monthly in-house publication of the Crime Writers' Association.
More about David Stuart Davies...

Sherlock Holmes Adventures (8 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair