Start by marking “Crusade in Europe” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Crusade in Europe

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Crusade in Europe

Five-star General Dwight D. Eisenhower was arguably the single most important military figure of World War II. For many historians, his memoirs of this eventful period of U.S. history have become the single most important record of the war. Crusade in Europe tells the complete story of the war as Eisenhower planned and lived it.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2001 by Books on Tape (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Crusade in Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crusade in Europe

Start your review of Crusade in Europe
Checkman
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military history buffs
Good solid auto-biography of Eisenhower's war years. While it has been pointed out that he glosses over the conflicts that occurred between the allies and their respective commanding officers it's understandable. The book was published in 1948. Many of those personages were not only still around, but still in positions of great authority which included Eisenhower. The man wasn't a fool. The Soviets were becoming an issue and Eisenhower knew that we (the United States) needed our allies - even Fr ...more
Doreen Petersen
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
Outstanding book! A must for all especially those interested in WWII history.
Mikey B.
This is a straight-forward and honest account of the American build-up and attack on Nazi-occupied Africa and Europe by one of the main military organizers and planners. It is certainly not as exhilarating and inspiring as Winston Churchill’s memoirs, but it does rank among one of the major works on World War II by one who was directly involved during those tumultuous years.

Eisenhower does come across as one who disdained pomp and ceremony – witness his signing of the surrender by Jodl or his re
Charlie Kircher
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writer, lessons in logistics and management applicable to many fields. His commitment to America and the wellbeing of every soldier in his command is inspiring.
Matthew Hines
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading this vast memoir of Supreme Allied Commander, General Eisenhower. It is vast in it's scope, covering his experiences from the days after Pearl Harbor was bombed, to the immediate aftermath of the surrender of Germany. In it, he speaks of the master strategies that he planned to bring victory first to North Africa, then to Sicily, and then to Overlord. While modest about his contributions, it is clear that he is aware of the enormous part he played in Hitler's defeat.

And w
Jim
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been fascinated with Dwight Eisenhower for many years now. I wondered what to expect from this book. Call me pleasantly surprised! This book was even better than I expected. What a rare man he was, and truly a gift to our country at a time when we needed a great leader most.
Donald Kirch
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically clear telling of one of Humanity's worst nightmares.
Jeff Elliott
Not quite what I had expected. I was hoping for an in depth analysis from his perspective of all the planning that was involved in D-day. This was a brief summary of his involvement in all aspects of the war he was involved in including Africa. D-day planning had no more depth than either the battles in Africa or the continuation of the march through Europe.

I did like Ike's summaries of what the war ultimately cost (Ch. 23 "Operation Study") and his perspective on continuing relations with Russi
Jim Doyle
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Autobiography; technical yet concise, specific but clear. Ike takes us on a journey from the launch of Torch to the surrender of the Reich. He does not attempt to dazzle the reader and provides a remarkably human perspective on the giant personalities of WWII to include Churchill, Montgomery, and Patton. Historians have argued that Ike's memoirs rank a close second to the famously majestic prose of Ulysses Grant in the annals of wartime leaders, and while his personal style may be more ...more
Chad
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm kind of with a lot of others on this where while I think this is an important book for anyone interested in WWII history Eisenhower takes too measured an approach in describing events and individuals involved. If you are looking for detailed insight from someone that was there forget it. It's a very dry administrative telling of the war along the lines of Sir Kenneth Strong's Intelligence at the Top.
Matthew
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Granted it was written in 1948 but it read like a clinical. Very little was written about what the author (in this case one of the major figures of the war) was thinking or what went behind many of the decisions or actions that occured.
Jonathan Gaspard
Great read! Last few pages are a great reminder of who we are as a nation and a call to action that is needed now more than ever in our national history.
Al Citera
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TO COIN A PHRASE, "A MAN AND A MOMENT MEET" IS TRULY APPROPRIATE IN THIS ERA.
THE LOGISTICAL PLANNING NEEDED FOR A WORLD WAR IS MIND BOGGLING AN INFORMATIVE
AND INSIGHTFUL READ.
Michael
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to read this for the simple reason that I was afraid that it would be rather dull. What light would Eisenhower be able to shed on the war from having directed it at the highest level? It may be sparse on tactics, but as a (former) Army officer myself, it shed great light on leadership. Eisenhower is famous for managing the first truly multinational force in modern times, possibly ever. But his perspective on directing and managing a war in all of its complexities, from logistics t ...more
Jack Gardner
Should be required reading in high schools and universities

The description of battles is not the primary focus. The book is about the political and military personalities, the political and economic considerations, the benefits and problems of press coverage, risk management, planning and preparation, limitations of material and transportation, the justification of risking lives, military vs. social issues, the impossibility of knowing everything and always being right, individual efforts (from
Kenneth Barber
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This memoir by Dwight Eisenhower tells his story of his experience during WW II. He begins with an assessment of the condition of American military forces on the eve of war. He details the reasons for weak and ill prepared condition of our armed forces. Ike shows how forces, both political and military, tried to get us ready to fight a war. It wasn't until after Pearl Harbor that the US had to catch up to the Axis Powers and do it quickly. Ike takes us through the steps of mobilization of not on ...more
Maria
Eisenhower first publish this book in 1948, detailing the course of his experiences and the battles in Europe earlier in the decade. Memories were fresh of the conflict, and so were egos... and Eisenhower ever the diplomat has a kind word to say about everyone and an explanation to soothe over every misunderstanding.

Why I started this book: D-Day and all the celebrations seemed like the perfect time of year to pick up General Eisenhower's memoir.

Why I finished it: This is a book to be taken in s
Jason Weeber
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no better way to learn the history of World War II, then to read the account of the man who led the Allies against the Axis. This memoir is a comprehensive look at the war but ends up being so much more. Filled with Eisenhower's personal reflections and impressions, it is impossible not to be fully impressed with the man. He comes across as constantly humble. He takes responsibility and blame for the blunders made during the war. He talks with respect about the others around him who dis ...more
Jim Barrett
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eisenhower's recounting of the war in Europe is fascinating. It is easy to forget just what an unbelievable job he did marshaling the allied forces into a cohesive unit to defeat Nazi Germany. Probably no other individual could have wielded the disparate groups of allies together, militarily and politically, to win the war as expeditiously as he did. Many things you may think you know about WWII are probably slight distortions of what really happened especially from movies taking dramatic licens ...more
Ronald Golden
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found "Crusade in Europe" interesting and educational not so much as a study of the European Theater of World War II, (many books have been written on that subject), for as a study of leadership and the art of cooperation between allies toward a great objective. The final chapter in this book is worth reading all by itself. In the final chapter, Gen. Eisenhower looks into the relationship between the Soviet Union and the U.S. in a post war world. His analysis of the relationship between commun ...more
C. Patrick
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An impressive effort published three years after the war’s end, the anecdotes and experiences come across as still quite fresh in Eisenhower’s own voice. His insights in the concluding chapter about the Russians indicate, never mind his hope that common cause and understanding can grow between the US and USSR, suggest that this hope never had a chance. The Russian generals approach to overcoming mine fields, or lack of consideration for Russian soldiers taken prisoner by the Germans, exposed a f ...more
Roque Miramontes
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I took away from this book was that General Eisenhower was a gentleman and a diplomat. In this book he took time to describe battlefield tactics and thoughts behind those tactics mixed in with lessons learned and general advice. We were fortunate to have him serve in the role he did at this time in history. I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 only because the writing could be somewhat dry.
David Christensen
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This 1947 book and it’s author is not the most compelling style. But the subject matter, and the story is the most exciting in history. Due to the authors unique position in history, and the time in which this was written, made it a must-read for me. The author uses too many references to personnel (other generals and leaders in the campaign). But I liked the relative shortness and simplicity of the book.
Sharon Zink
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A well-written and comprehensive history of World War II in northern Africa, the Mediterranean Sea, and Europe. Eisenhower touches on all phases of organizing for warfare and gives personal impressions of the men he worked with.
Stephen Bedard
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. History is more than just the actions of great people and war is more than the decisions of generals. But Eisenhower did have a major impact on the direction of the war and his story needs to be part of the big picture.
Erik L Grupp
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I enjoyed this book like immensely. It is very well written in the sense it was easy to read yet very informative. In addition, Ike has a easy going mannerisms that projects confidence in what he is trying to say.
John
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in the high level strategy of the European war in 1942-1945, Eisenhower's "Crusade in Europe" is a must read. Although lengthy, Ike illustrates the path to victory step-by-step. Worth while bedside reading!
John
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly easy read, gets a little bogged down with the vast number of personalities, and military units mentioned.
Ike was very, very nice to almost everyone he mentions , no major criticism of anyone.
Pete Iseppi
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a surprisingly readable account of WWII in the European Theater Operations.
I was worried that it would be dry, but found it easy to follow.
This is an important work by arguably the most important American participant.
Chris White
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-history
I enjoyed this book. He’s pretty much all business, there are no sidebars to speak off or character studies. I would suggest you read this last, if you have a list of WWII books you are working thru.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Brit(ish): On Race, Identity and Belonging
  • Black Genesis: The Prehistoric Origins of Ancient Egypt
  • Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck
  • روبنسون كروزو
  • An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 (World War II Liberation Trilogy, #1)
Dwight David Eisenhower, born David Dwight Eisenhower, nicknamed "Ike", was a General of the Army (five star general) in the United States Army and U.S. politician, who served as the thirty-fourth President of the United States (1953 – 1961). During the Second World War, he served as Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe, with responsibility for planning and supervising the successful i ...more