Start by marking “The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the Declaration of Independence” as Want to Read:
The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the Declaration of Independence

The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the Declaration of Independence

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

For more than 225 years these words have inspired men and women in countries the world over to risk everything in pursuit of these lofty ideals. When they first ap
Published June 1st 2011 by Walker Childrens (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Signers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Signers

Hava
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, parents, and teachers
This is a nice way to have an overview of all 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Obviously, because this is a kids' book, the author doesn't go into great depth on any one signer, but instead tries to spend equal time (more or less) on each signer, and on each of the 13 colonies. Although I used to think of the 13 colonies as being more or less the same, this book made it clear to me that they each had their own distinct "personalities" and history, and that some colonies (and people ...more
Jayden Wellman
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 5 stars because it gives just enough information about each other to make it very intresting. Before reading this book I barely knew any of the signers but this book sheds light on a lot of unknown writers who played a big roll in the declaration being formed.
Becky B
I picked this book up for my children and I think they will really enjoy it. It is written for a young audience and has, I think, an appropriate amount of information for them. It's well written and entertaining with stories about the founders that my boys will love. (I give it three stars for myself. I would prefer a more detailed book. This has about two pages, including art, per signer. I suspect my boys will give it 4 or 5 stars.)

FYI, the book does have personal information about, um, charac
Paula
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I picked up years ago, though at the time, I didn't realize it was a children's book. What attracted me to it was the illustrations--I really, really liked the illustrations, and the stories never left my memory.

So years later I ended up reading Signing Their Lives Away Declaration of Independence) and Signing Their Rights Away (Constitution), which are basically the adult version of The Signers. But if it weren't for the inspiration of The Signers, I wouldn't have read the other
Rachelle
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was read from the Green Free Library. I borrowed it to find out more about the signers of the Declaration of Independence. I learned a lot. Elbridge Gerry from Massachusetts is responsible for making political districts favorable to his own party. The term "gerrymandering" came from a district that looked like a salamander but someone thought it looked like a gerryymander and the name stuck.

One also learns that most of the signers actually signed in August of 1776, not on July 4.

This
Tarin
Loved this book! I reviewed it for book club (we are doing an American History theme) and I knew nothing about it, just chose it at random. I was surprised 1- there were so many signers, 2- I only knew the names of a handful of them, 3-there are so many fascinating stories! I read it all in one day, and I loved that it was a bunch of small stories so I could pick it up and just read a story or two when I got a couple minutes.
Korrin
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fascinating! It was so interesting to hear the backgrounds of the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, and how many are actually related to each other as brothers, cousins, or friends. Now when I see the signatures of this document, I think of how real those men were in establishing our country as it is today!
Sidney Owens
This book is about all the men who signed the Declaration of Independence. I thought this book was interesting because it brought up a lot of facts I didn't know and a lot of behind the scenes news that isn't talked about in a normal conversation about the Declaration of Independence.
Brandy Gilbertson
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This is an example of a collective biography. I thought the 'topic' or group of people chosen was really interesting to learn about. This is definitely a book to be used to encourage children to gain interest in history.

*Book from text
Tamara
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview of each man and his ideas and contributions to the revolution and founding of the country.
Dakota Waddell
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series of short vignettes chronicling the Signers. Easy, quick read.
Wendy
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part of our curriculum......I LOVE anything that my daughter loves!
Cathy Houston
rather bland biographies of 56 men who were willing to risk their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor
Matthew
Short profiles of all the signers of the Declaration of Independence accompanied by lovely woodcut portraits.
Chrisanne
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Just enough of an overview to give you a taste of the incredible spirit they had. Each person was given individual treatment that highlighted an original trait/hobby/statement. Well done!
Cooksonmom
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mybooks
I picked this up on the Patriotic Table at the library. It is awesome!
Ami
This book has a short biography of each signer of the Declaration of Independence, all 56 of them. It's amazing how much many of these men suffered for their brave decision.
Shellie
Actually I only read about 1/2 of the book, it was for reading group and I couldn't attend so I quit reading the book.
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two page coverage for each of the 56 signers of Declaration of Independence, with wood cuts of each man and maps.
Paul
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that had a wonderful compilation of all the biographies of the Declaration of Independence's signers.
Kim
Gina
Jan 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Just a Question 1 1 Mar 11, 2017 06:48PM
The award-winning author of nearly 300 non-fiction books for children and young adults, Dennis Fradin is known for his meticulous research, attention to detail and smooth, graceful writing.

Fradin attributes his success in part to years of teaching in the Chicago Public Schools. In order to hold his second graders’ attention at the end of the day, he would spin stories about crayons in distress and
More about Dennis Brindell Fradin...