Start by marking “I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)” as Want to Read:
I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)

I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy #7)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,516 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
The 7th book in the bestselling Fly Guy series--with fun foil covers!

When Fly Guy and Buzz play hide-and-seek, Fly Guy hides in his favorite place--the garbage can. But as Buzz finishes counting, the garbageman drives away with the garbage and Fly Guy, too! A very worried Buzz follows the truck to the dump, where he sees zillions of flies. Where is Fly Guy?!

Time after time
Published October 1st 2009 by Cartwheel Books

Alicia
Nov 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I Spy Fly Guy is the most recent book in Tedd Arnold's Fly Guy early reader series. I've loved Tedd Arnold's picture books (especially Parts and More Parts) with his simple, colorful drawings and bug eyed characters, so I was excited to read Fly Guy. The Fly Guy books are stories about a boy named Buzz and his pet fly (named Fly Guy). In I Spy Fly Guy, Buzz and Fly Guy are playing a game of hide and seek. When Fly Guy hides in a garbage can he is accidentally taken to the garbage dump, where Buz ...more
Lisa Mason
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
1. The book is a 2010 Geisel honor book for controlled vocabulary.

2. This buddy book recounts the story of a young boy named Buzz and his pet fly. The boy and the fly play hide-and-seek but when Fly Guy hides in the garbage can, the garbage truck arrives. Buzz has to travel to the local dump to find his friend and finish their game.

3. a. Characterization b. I Spy Fly Guy is designed for the emergent reader. The size of the text is large and most pages contain only one or two sentences with plent
Jennifer  Davis
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old son recently borrowed this book from our local library.

I Spy Fly guy is book #7 in the series, but you do not have to read them in any order to understand them. Buzz and his pet fly, Fly Guy, are playing a game of hide and seek. Fly Guy hides in a trash can is accidentally carried off to the dump. Buzz hurries to the dump to find him. He finds several flies that he think might be fly guy, only to disappointingly find out they are not. Buzz decides to finish playing the game of hid
Roberto Bautista
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book I learned a few words.For instance: fly guy,buzz,spied among other words.
Junghyun Yoon
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think this book is good because this book doesn't have a lot of page, and second book has picture and easy sentence so it help understand story. And I like fiction story so i think this is good.
Megan Reed
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edli-200
Category/Genre: Picture Book/Easy Reader/Fiction

Copyright Date: 2009

Estimate of age level of interest: K-3

Estimate of reading level: grade 2

Brief description: A hide-and-seek game between Buzz and a fly leads to an unexpected adventure.

Two characteristics of picture books/easy readers/fiction that appear in this book:

1. A large font with widely spaced lines is used for the text in this book. In addition, ample white space in the margins and around illustrations help to focus a reader's gaze on
RoneshaM
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a classic of mine. I grew up reading this series of the fly guy. The book is so simple and easy to understand with silly illustrations. It is a quick read which would be great for kindergartners to first grade. The text is simple and nice to read. The characters are so likably and it is just a tale of two odd friends. Granted Buzz is friends with a fly which may seem odd, but to each their own.
Ashley B.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book would be a good book to introduce chapters to kids. There are only three in this chapter and they are pretty short. The pictures and the plot are easy to follow and is great for kids reading something a little longer and with more of a plot. There are plenty of pictures to help with the reading and they are well done. Since there are more books similar to this one, kids would be inspired to read even more the Fly Guy series.
Megan McNutt
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I thought the story of friendship between the boy and the fly was very cute. I think that kids will like how funny the story is because the fly almost gets left at the dump because the boy has to make sure he tells him that the game is over. I also think the kids will enjoy the illustrations in the book because they are simple but colorful.
Sarah Cho
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picure-books
Good transition book. This book had pictures and felt a lot like a picture book. The chapters within the book made it feel more mature and fit for a student who is in transition from picture books to chapter books. The story itself was great. The main concern is when Buzz loses Fly Guy ina swarm of other flies and struggles to find him.
Peyton Matthews
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed230-books
I enjoyed this book. It was a cute story between two unlikely friends who end up getting separated but somehow find their way back to each other. The book has small 5-6 page chapters so I would recommend this book to children 4th grade and younger.
Megan Billick
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tedd Arnold is one of my favorite authors, he does a great job making his books very enjoyable for kids and he did not disappoint with this one. A great story about 2 friends playing and one needing help so the other jumped right in to save him. Super sweet story, big hit in my house.
Angel Lederhause
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boys-school
My son thinks these books are funny but I don't care for them too much.
Breyanna Hill
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
While playing hide and seek with Buzz, Fly guy is taken away by a garbage man. This short picture- chapter book is a story about friendship.
Miss Sarah
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Buzz and Fly Guy are playing hide and seek. Who do you think will be the better hider? Cute. preschool and up.
Kristina
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
my 3 kids and I enjoyed reading this book. it's a good book for beginner readers. I would recommend this book to others.
Anahi Valencia
This book by Tedd Arnold takes the reader on a fun ride through the adventure of Buzz and Fly Guy (a boy and a fly). They were playing hide and seek when suddenly the garbage can Fly Guy's hiding in is taken by the garbage man! Will Buzz be able to save him? The written text in this book repeats effectively so as to make it fun for the audience to read. Also, the author implemented short chapters so it makes the reader feel like their grown readers reading chapter books!

The illustrations in this
Megan
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Categories/Genres: Easy Reader, Fantasy

Copyright date: 2009

Estimate of age level of interest: Grades K-2, Early Emergent Readers

Estimate of reading level: Grade 1

Brief description: Buzz plays hide-and-seek with Fly Guy.

Characteristics of this genre and subgenre:
> Short, simple words, in large font are used repetitively, thus helping early emergent readers as they begin the task of connecting sounds and symbols.
> Tedd Arnold uses the simple words and names to set up the plot; early readers
Megan Gallagher
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Title (italicize): I Spy Fly Guy
Illustrator (if separate from author):
Theme(s): Friendship, Adventure, Imagination, Insects, Games, Loyalty
Opening line/sentence (type directly from text): A boy had a pet fly.
Brief Book Summary : This book is about a boy Buzz and his friend /pet fly. They often play hide and seek with one another and one day Fly Guy hides in the trashcan and the garbage man suddenly picks it up. Buzz chases the truck to the dump where he me
Sarai Clemente
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Suuuuuper fun!! Pictures help a lot with expressions and giving more meaning to the story itself!!
Justine
Title: I Spy Fly Guy!
Illustrator: Tedd Arnold
Theme(s): Friendship
Opening line/sentence: “A boy had a pet fly.”

Brief Book Summary: Buzz and his best friend Fly Guy, a fly, play hide and seek. Unfortunately, fly guy disappears. Will Buzz be able to find it friend?

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Julie Cummins (Booklist)
When Buzz and his pet fly play hide-and-seek, Fly Guy s favorite hiding place is in the garbage can. But when the garbageman collects th
Samantha Graffeo
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Title: I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly, Guy #7)
Genre: Early Reader
Themes: Flies, Hide and Seek.
Opening Line/Sentence: "A boy had a pet fly."
Brief Book Summary: Buzz and his best friend Fly Guy, play hide and seek. The only problem is Fly Guy is a fly and buzz loses him.
Professional Review #1: Myrna Dee Marler (Children's Literature)
This is the story of a boy and his pet fly. The fly lives in a garbage can with a whole bunch of other flies and likes to play hide and seek with the boy Bu
Melissa Mcavoy
I Spy Fly Guy is a sublimely satisfying and successful early reader: perfect in its form and exceptional in its content. Uncluttered pages, with lots of white, contain a line, or four, of simple words accompanied by clean, bold cartoon-style drawings. It is clear from the first amusing rendering of a goggle-eyed, baseball cap wearing boy, Buzz, and his massively appealing, big-eyed fly friend, Fly Guy, these are characters we want to spend time with. Both radiate goodwill and bonhomie. The clear ...more
Traci
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Controlled Vocabulary Picture Book

Summary:

This book is about Buzz and his pet fly. Fly is in the trash can when the garbage man takes him away to the dump. Buzz and his father go to the dump where Buzz searches and searches until he is reunited with his beloved pet fly.

(a) The book is a wonderful tool in teaching controlled vocabulary. The words are simple and repetitive and are presented in a fun and entertaining way that will capture the attention of young students.

(b) The best part of
Ciera
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love all Ted Arnold books and illustrations! This one is about a boy named Buzz and his pet fly, whose name is Fly Guy. The book goes through a series of short chapters. The pictures are always so funny, and the story line is cute. The two play hide and seek, Fly Guy likes to hide in the garbage can, while Buzz hid in the garden shed. Fly Guy likes to eat while Buzz looks for him and calls out "I spy Fly Guy!" When Fly Guy is hiding in the can, a garbageman comes and picks up the trash with hi ...more
Shelby Fungone
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for introducing the concept of chapters to young children. It’s a sweet story about the friendship between Buzz and his fly friend, Fly Guy. In this story they play an innocent game of Hide and Go Seek but Buzz worries when Fly Guy gets carried to the local trash dump. To save his fly friend, Buzz has his father drive him to the dump to find Fly Guy. He searches but finds tons more flies and feels hopeless. The illustrations in this book were amazing and simple, with very uni ...more
Michelle Biamonte
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This chapter book was both an easy read as well as very cute. The book shares the adventures of friends, Buzz and Fly Guy. The friends play hide and seek, a favorite childhood game. It appears as if Fly Guy hides in a garbage can, and his human friend, Buzz is anxious to find him but, OH NO!, the garbageman came and hauled the garbage and Fly Guy off to the dump yard!!
Buzz follows the garbage truck to the dump site, and calls for Fly Guy. Of course there are many flies at the dump and they all
Yvonne Flores
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading I Spy Fly Guy! to my grandsons who are 4 1/2 years old, and my younger grandson is almost 6 months. Packed with fun illustrations, and cute stories, it's the perfect book for keeping both the boys happy as we read together.

The younger grandson enjoys hearing me make the 'buzz' sound as I read to him and he enjoys when I turn the page to a new picture. My older grandson enjoys reading along with me as I point to the words in the sentences. He also enjoys how quickly we can
McKayden Howard
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I Spy Fly Guy!' is a brilliant transitional book with short chapters and longer sentences for children to feel accomplished. It is a story about a boy and his pet fly having fun while playing Hide and Go Seek but something goes incredibly wrong: The fly gets taken away by the garbage man while hiding in the trash can. It is up to the boy to find him.
The pictures in this book are outstanding and really support the text, however, the text is so pure, it could stand alone. This book is perfect for
Andrew Stockle
Meet Buzz. Buzz has a pet fly. His name is “Fly Guy”. Throughout the story Buzz is playing hide-and-seek with Fly Guy. One day Fly Guy hides in a garbage can and is accidently hauled away to the dump. As a result, Buzz spends the rest of the book searching through the hundreds of flies at the dump looking for Fly Guy. This book has interesting pictures. They look as though the artist drew something nice and the scribbled all over the top of it. The text is large and simple indicating that it is ...more
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Zoomer
  • Stinky
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • See Me Run
  • Hello, Bumblebee Bat
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Penny and Her Song
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride (Mercy Watson #2)
  • Up, Tall, and High!
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,
More about Tedd Arnold...

Fly Guy (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Buzz Boy And Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #9)
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)