Start by marking “Minerva Louise on Halloween” as Want to Read:
Minerva Louise on Halloween

Minerva Louise on Halloween (Minerva Louise)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  194 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
It?s Halloween and Minerva Louise is as fearless? and clueless?as ever. She investigates the witches, ghosts, and goblins visiting the farm and delights in trick-or-treating for the very first time. Little farmers with pointed hats and very strange farming tools are running around. Folks are handing out the most delicious (candy) corn. The neighbors even compliment Minerva
Published August 20th 2009 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Minerva Louise on Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minerva Louise on Halloween

Liza Gilbert
Sep 14, 2009 rated it liked it
A cute, bird-brained story of Halloween. If read as a straight book, the reader might find it dumb. However, from a young reader's point of view, pointing out all the ways Minerva Louise misunderstands the holiday could be a treat. A nice, secular story for storytime.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Though this book has an older illustration style, it's pretty hilarious because Minerva Louise is misinterpreting all of the Halloween goings-on--the kids are "farmers", the trick-or-treat buckets are "feed bins", bats are "blackbirds", etc. Might be funny to have the kids guess what she's really seeing
Shiloah
Hilarious!!! We all loved it!
Cassie
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Minerva Louise is the chicken equivalent of Amelia Bedelia. You either love her, or she'll drive you crazy. I happen to love Minerva Louise, but I must admit, I wasn't totally enthralled with her new Halloween adventure. It is a nice and gentle Halloween book for the very young that contains no frights to leave them with nightmares. Minerva thinks that decorating with fake tombstones is actually the farmers planting a rock garden and she mistakes children dressed up as ghost, as floating laundry ...more
Sally
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have never read any of the Minerva Louise books before, so this is the first one.

Summary:
Minerva Louise is a chicken and makes all sorts of inferences based on what she is seeing kids do for Halloween.

The Good.
I enjoyed the story quite a bit. I thought it was a very clever story where Minerva saw the kids, and considered them "farmers" and when they were getting ready for Halloween and decorating the front with fake tombstones, she said they were planting a rock garden. It was very sweet.

The
Dolly
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, halloween
Fun and silly story starring the lovable Minerva, as she experiences the strange sights, sounds and tastes of Halloween for the first time. Our girls thought this was a funny story and I thought it was interesting that Harry Potter made it into the tale. It seemed a bit incongrous though, as I always imagine these stories to be old fashioned (with the first book printed over 20 years ago), not set in the 2000s.
Jennifer Strong
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The preparations, decorating, and festivities for Halloween are explained through the eyes of a chicken, Minerva Louise.

Minerva Louise is so silly. She clearly doesn't understand Halloween, and that makes her observations funny! The best part is watching her trick-or-treat for the candy corn the farmers are giving out. Recommended for young kids ages 3-5.
Marilyn
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first Minerva Louise book we've read. It was fun--she consistently deduces incorrect conclusions about what's happening on Halloween night. We had a short, good discussion about how things aren't always as they seem to us and how our thinking something is a certain way doesn't mean it is in fact so.
Meredith
Minerva Louise, the befuddled chicken, celebrates Halloween by misinterpretting everything she sees in absurdly cute manner. She even joins in on the trick-or-treating using a cupcake wrapper.

This book would be an excellent non-scary Halloween selection for preschoolers and other young readers.
gina
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A super cute Halloween book about a chicken. Definitely captures the essence of chickens lol. I really loved this book and would love to read it to my child (when I have one ;). Until then, I'll have to settle on reading it to the chickens...
Aleece
The story is taken from the chicken's point of view. Minerva describes what is happening on the farm and the way she sees it they are just doing normal activities when they are really getting ready for Halloween.
Matthew
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Minerva sits on the porch misreading all the activity that surrounds her, and shares her thoughts with a ghastly trio of pumpkins turned jack-o'-lanterns. These books are always hilarious and this is no exception.
Polly
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series tends to please adults more than kids--a lot of kids under five don't get the jokes--but there's nothing wrong with doing that occasionally in storytime!
Nancy
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love Minerva!
Kim
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A charming story about a chicken's perception of Halloween.

themes: chickens, costumes, farms, Halloween, tick-or-treating
Susan
Nov 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Good ol' Minerva Louise!
Melissa
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is funny, but I am not sure the kids got enough of the references.
Edna
Sep 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute Halloween preparation story as observed and narrated by Minerva Louise, a chicken. A definite chuckle for parents.
Tanya W
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny Halloween story from the chicken's point of view... at first I didn't get it, but enjoyed it more as we continued reading.
Whitney
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Adorable and cute, as always. Look for a cameo appearance by Harry Potter in this one.
Mckinley
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Still not a fan of Minerva Louise.
Joanne Roberts
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some fantastic Minerva-type mistakes, though the voice was slightly off. Same great art and creative storytelling. Didn't like her directly interacting with humans near the end.
Holly
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: carson-s
It was a little confusing for my LO, but cute nonetheless.
Valerie
Jul 23, 2009 rated it liked it
a not-scary Halloween read
Teri
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
We LOVE Minerva Louise books and this one is GREAT! We loved seeing Halloween from a chicken's point of view. :)
Cindy
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny story about a chicken who misinterprets many of the things she sees (much like Amelia Bedelia). Great read aloud for Kindergarten and First grades.
Megan
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool-kindergarten
Recommended to Megan by: Deana R.
Minerva Louise is a chicken who misunderstands a lot of things. Amusing, especially to 4-6 year olds, but not as charming as Amelia Bedelia.
George
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mouse's First Halloween
  • Ollie's Halloween
  • Run, Turkey, Run!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Sheep Take a Hike
  • Pumpkin Heads
  • Duck to the Rescue
  • I'm Not Santa!

Minerva Louise (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Minerva Louise